Your Favorite Classics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, what are your favorite classics? Personally, I absolutely love 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens. It's one of my top 5 favorite books. Another one that wasn't bad, but I didn't exactly love was 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell. Currently, I'm reading '1984' by George Orwell, and it's not bad so far. I'm not very far into it yet, though. And I also plan on reading, 'The Scarlet Letter' afterwards, as I plan to try to read a few classics this summer, so I was hoping that by sharing your favorites, I could think of what to read next. Oh, and next to what your favorites are, maybe you could put a short description, or maybe just something like, if it's a romantic story, historical...etc.

Oh, and be sure to tell me which books you hated and why. ^_^

I've read The Scarlett Letter, and really enjoyed it!
Right now I am reading The Illiad, and after that it's the Odyessey and the Pride and Prejudice.
Another one I love is The Count of Monte Cristo!

Okay, great classics.... hmm, where to begin?
Homer's the Odyssey, the phrase "rosy fingered dawn" does start to become very annoying, but I really enjoyed the depth of details.
Sophocles's Oedipus Rex and Antigone, lots of sight imagery, and don't read them if you don't like very classical tragedy.
The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer - a bit racey, and totally cynical, nice.
Shakespeare's Hamlet, Macbeth, and Othelo, great tragic works, much better than Romeo and Juilet, I'd have to say Macbeth is the best, followed by Hamlet. Polonius and Iago are the best Shakespearean characters.
A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens - if you want to kill Lucie, keep reading, it'll pay off, Sidney "the Jackel" Carton will make it all worth while.
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky, a great look into the psyche of a criminal/psycho/person, loved it!
The Stranger by Albert Camus, other good look into the mind of another human.
Rosecranzt and Guildenstern are Dead by Stopard great look itno the meaning of life, the universe and everything, a bit nutty.
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, a novel about a teen who hates the way society works, angsty
The Great Gatsby, very angsty, ony read if you've read and enjoyed The Catcher in the Rye they are very similar in tone.
Lord of the Flies - William Golding, Anthem - Ayn Rand, The Woman Warrior - Kingston, Bless me , Ultima - Rudolfo Anaya, My Name is Asher Lev - Chaim Potok, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain, The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger, Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradburry. Eight Buildungsroman or coming of age novels set in different places, all deal with "how do I grow up as a unquie person in a society, yet still exist in that Society" any two will be enough to choke a horse, but those two will be good. A word of wisdom, Do NOT read all eight even if you LOVE coming of age novels, you WILL o.d.
20,000 leagues under the sea or anything else by Jules Verne, awesome classics if you like details and sci-fi/fantsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back