TV Your Favorite Star Trek Series and Why

There is indeed something about the vibrant colors of TOS that isn't found in the other series. The DS9 episode where they went back to the TOS tribbles episode stands out because of the stark contrast between the look & feel of the two eras (and I still say that DS9 episode did an amazing job integrating the DS9 cast into the TOS footage).

It may be an odd thought but I wonder if some the backlash against Discovery is that they went too dark with the look & feel of it to the point where it just doesn't 'feel' like a "Star Trek" show. :thinking:
I agree, I felt that when I watched the first episode, to me Discovery feels cold and so not like Trek. IMO. I haven't watched another episode. I liked DS9 it was alright. And TNG was alright. I liked more than I thought, like Picard.

TOS: (I was an adolescent)
Liked it for the fighting and the weird creatures and monsters.
Liked it for the wonder of discovery.
Liked it for the intellect of Spock and the contrast of emotion in McCoy.
One of the founding science fiction shows that helped me find an interest in scifi on film.
(Was already reading science fiction in comic books and young reader books)

TNG: (I was raising my children)
Liked it for the aliens and creatures.
Liked it for the discovery of different planet types
Liked it for the technology depicted
Liked it for the social patterns it displayed
Liked it for the science fiction literature components that were visualized
Liked it for the technobabble
Liked the 'clean look' of it.
Liked the values and morals it depicted
Liked the concept of the holodeck but not the utilization (with exception to Reggie's ship modifications)
Liked the crew dynamics but not the episodic character dedications
Loved Q but thought the Borg were lazy writing
Liked the concept of Species 8472 but again, lazy writing

DS9: (Nearly the exact same period)
Liked the inter-dynamics of the space station
Liked the concept of the wormhole aliens
Liked the depiction of the alien races but felt it was lazy writing and unimaginative
Loved Terry Ferrell as Dax but did not like Worf being in it.
Loved Quark but hated O'brien, Odo and Kira - again, Lazy writing.
DS9 is currently my least favorite Star Trek series (haven't watched Discovery yet - waiting for the season to complete)

VOY: (Raising Teenagers)
Liked some of the concepts on alien cultures
Liked the ship's look
Liked some of the aliens and how they looked
By this time in my life and my experience watching Star Trek, I was starting to see things wrong with the whole concept. The creativity was gone and the writing became lazy and predictable. My sense of wonder was failing.

ENT: (Young adult children in and out of the house)
Liked Scott Backula, still like him. Felt Archer was another example of lazy writing and poor imagination tho.
Liked some of the concepts depicted but felt they were cut short due to lazy writing.
Liked a few of the alien races, some were very nice to contemplate.
Liked some of the technical implications (especially the nano-technology ones).
While I enjoyed the show I also felt it was missing something important that prevented me from feeling the wonder and awe I wanted from Star Trek.
It became a social example show with a glint of science fiction.

DSC: (Alone and disabled~plenty of time, no influences)
Have not watched any of it yet.
From the reviews and comments I have read, I am figuring more of the same lazy unimaginative writing.

People might think I don't like Star Trek if they consider my disdain for the repetitive writing and limited creativity but I do, really do, like Star Trek. It has a lot of potential. I sadly feel that the potential peaked with TNG like cresting a hill. The 'wonder' of science fiction still exists but it is not found in the cookie-cutter money-driven slop that Star Trek turned into.
I just can't get excited about it.

You know, the newest Star Trek movie ship has elements from the 60s film, one I believe to be interesting, maybe the designer took the planet eater, and used it for the warp nacelles of the newest film.....
mad-captains-of-star-trek-matt-decker-in-the--L-G6e13K.jpeg
th
USS-Enterprise-Star-Trek-Beyond.jpg
Very close huh?

It may be an odd thought but I wonder if some the backlash against Discovery is that they went too dark with the look & feel of it to the point where it just doesn't 'feel' like a "Star Trek" show. :thinking:
I think most of the backlash is because they want to stick it to fans with a monthly subscription to watch the series... ;)

I think most of the backlash is because they want to stick it to fans with a monthly subscription to watch the series... ;)
Its the best way to loose fans, the first and the last few were regular tv, they made tons of money, on products, toys and even feature movies, I saw em' all. I bet there is still cash being payed out to the crew of these films, you hit a home run, its better on regular tv than folks having to pay for it. Howard Stern did it in the 90s with pay radio, this new Trek series will flop like a carp in a bass buster boat too...

I watched the first episode mainly because it was free and nothing else was on that evening. The special effects are great, the rest, not so much. And trying to charge for it makes it even less appealing.

I watched the first episode mainly because it was free and nothing else was on that evening. The special effects are great, the rest, not so much. And trying to charge for it makes it even less appealing.
Its a head scratcher, LOL! I too will stick with the classics...:smiley:

You mean the sound sfx from the cartoon series? Running sound bites on a radio show would prove interesting, I would enjoy listening to it also.
Captain-Kirk-james-t-kirk-8404302-700-530.jpg

Back