Your Guild

Nnem

Cadet
Are you a guild leader, or a member? Maybe your the officer. What kind of guild do you look to create, or join?

One who's sole purpose is PvP?
A Raid only guild?

Or do you search for a guild that has the perfect balance?

Nnem said:
Are you a guild leader, or a member? Maybe your the officer. What kind of guild do you look to create, or join?

One who's sole purpose is PvP?
A Raid only guild?

Or do you search for a guild that has the perfect balance?

Don't usually do Pvp that may change with HJ.
Don't usually Raid that may not change with HJ.

I'm always looking for the perfect guild but have yet to find one. So I do my best no matter which I join.

Best guild I was in, well there were two... Both for EQOA (EQ for dummies! No offense to anyone, just it was rather dumbed down in a lot of ways)

1. Red Dragon Dynasty (Diren Hold Server) - RDD was one of those guilds that had great balance. We would raid, but it certainly wasn't the driving focus. No pressure to participate if you didn't want to, but you were welcome even if you had never been on a raid before in your life. And get this, we would actually... share rares!:eek: I know! Basically if you had a rare you no longer needed you just gave it to the next person who did. And there were almost no abuses of this. Those that did were quickly talked to and booted if needed. We also used to have fun events like scavenger hunts, and amazing races (imagine around 20 level 1 Ogres running from Oggok to Klick w/o using special abilities or outside help, for those who are familiar with the game). If you needed help on a quest, practically half the guild would volunteer to help out, and crafted items were made no charge for anyone. Sadly it broke up, but never once in the history of the guild (day 1 of the servers going live) was there ever a bad thing said about it in game or on the forums. Sigh... the memories :(

2. The Pillage People (also Diren Hold server) - This guild was basically, two other guys, myself, and the guild master's wife. The three of us guys would group together a lot and just have tons of fun in guild chat. It was basically a glorified buddy list with a chat line. And our bank toons was YMCA. Great fun!

Each guild offered something different for me, but the one thing they had in common was a family-like atmostphere without all the pressure and egos of a hard-core raid guild. So to sum up a longer answer than I meant to give... :eek: I guess that's what I would look for in a guild.

I look for a guild that is:

1. Organized. Has standards of conduct and rules that are upheld.
2. Has a website where, at the very least, news and Guild Charter is posted.
3. Is a family/friends and 'fun first' atmosphere. Not a powergaming guild that demands your RL be bent around the game.

I plan to create a guild called "The Nakuan." It will be based on a old SG I use to be a part of called The Twilight Avengers. A very orginized group that had a wonderfully fun family atmosphere. They often set up raid times and pvp but none of it was demanded from the guild members. The only thing I had against the SG was the simple fact, they stopped playing. But as you all know, I'm personally very active on these forums, and I plan to carry that into HJ beta.

Please, don't ask to join "The Nakuan" just yet. I don't plan to even create the guild until after beta. (Since it would just get wiped anyway.)

Incase you are wondering, Nakuan is the title used to refer to a warrior that was depended on in battle. Something like a captain, but more about skill than rank.

WatchMaker said:
I plan to create a guild called "The Nakuan." It will be based on a old SG I use to be a part of called The Twilight Avengers. A very orginized group that had a wonderfully fun family atmosphere. They often set up raid times and pvp but none of it was demanded from the guild members. The only thing I had against the SG was the simple fact, they stopped playing...

I like seeing people like this. Someone who has, motivation to create a guild. And the motivation is light hearted, not domination - oriented. And having an old group that you were with, gives you experience when you re-create it, if you do.

Well hmm thats a good question what to look for in a guild. Personally I agree with most of you and don't like guilds that require you to attend certain events. But at the same time if that guild is the right place for you, you'll end up wanting to attend instead of being made to.

I really look for people of similiar playing style when I join a organization. Usually people I've grouped with in the past and like similar aspects about the game that I do. In terms of pvp and raiding. Im a fan of the prior and not of the later btw. I'm always up for a good pvp match as long as its for some reason not just to go around and show how big my e-peepee is.

Organiziation is key imo for a clan. I usually join clans that have set but flexible goals set out for the game. Whether I'm a leader or just one of the peeps everyone should always have equal say in a clan imo.

Website/forum is really the only way a clan can get off the ground and above 10 people or so. Its tuff to communicate with anyone outside the game without it so with it is a big plus.

But most of all I think having fun is the key. As long as I can sit around and BS with the people of the clan that really makes it or breaks it for me.

I am usually the GM of my own guild, as a member of a "Council", being that I'm not the only GM... I'll try not to be windy about it, but if you look at my WoW and DAoC guild websites, you'll get the jist of what we're about:

We are a family oriented guild, that is... we have players who often let their kids play with them, in the lap or they are sitting next to them, and as such, no swearing or cussing is allowed in guild chat. We strive to be "helpers" in the games we play, giving aid to those who need it in the form of donations of crafted armor, weapons, potions & gold to low level players, and offering services, and our character's class/skill abilities to those who need them. We are "Runs with Scissors", and we run with shears in hand, offering crafting and/or assistance stabbing those that need stabbing with sharp pointy shears!

We are not raid-centric, nor do we ask our members to be any particular level, or play during certain times. All guild events are "come if you are able", and are geared toward having fun, not XP or items, unless explicitly stated. We promote friendship and casual Roleplay, more often "RP-Lite" as we RP when the mood hits us. Some of us RP in guild chat, and some do not. Guild RP events are generally held in another designated chat channel and out of Guild Chat. We also aim to make everyone feel welcome and at home, from the solo'er, to the grouper, to the raid-centric person.

Our websites tend to have as much info as possible on the front website, with a simple design & layout. We offer game and/or guild news, shout-out's, links to guild information, links to game sites, forums, events calendar, guild roster, crafters corner, and more.

For more info on my guild(s), check out http://wow.runs-with-scissors.com/ and http://daoc.runs-with-scissors.com/.

This also goes to say, if I am not running my own guild, that is the type of guild I look for...

~ Jaraeth

I am looking for a guild like the ones described by Jaraeth or Evran. In WoW I somehow got lucky and got into a really nice age 18+ guild (we did make exceptions to that rule...). We had a great website for the organisation, people were generally helpful, great guild raids (for me: for fun,entirely optional, no fixed team, zero-sum DKP system and with a system that ensured that players who participated fewer times got preference for the available raid-slots, oh and a rather relaxed atmosphere during the raid), fun-events and the guild was run by a council which basically was open to anyone who wanted to and was active in the forums.
I really hope to find a similar guild in HJ.

cordy said:
Well hmm thats a good question what to look for in a guild. Personally I agree with most of you and don't like guilds that require you to attend certain events. But at the same time if that guild is the right place for you, you'll end up wanting to attend instead of being made to.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a WINNER!!! Cordy, that was the most succint and accurate response I have ever seen to describe what I look for in a guild. I participated in almost every single event that my guild sponsored simply because I wanted to knowing it would be a blast. Never once was anyone required to do it. No attendance records, etc.

Just a thought after reading this, but wouldn't it stand to reason that guild and clan would be the only two structures available at launch? In order to be recognized as a house, a guild would have to accomplish much for one of the factions and possibly accomplish a quest (most likely run live by a GM who sees a guild is close to being ready to become a house) in order to receive a house charter. Once they've organized into a house, the house could only invite guilds, clans, or individuals who have also done those things to bring them closer to the chosen faction.

Or, in other words, MAKE FACTIONS MATTER. It annoyed me to no end how the much-touted divide between good and evil (Qeynos and Freeport) in EverQuest2 was just lip service; good and evil players could be in the same guild, and a good character in an evil guild could advance both their evil-aligned guild and their good-aligned city in the same stroke.

Then again, what should I expect, Sony's MMOs have become just games, rather than opportunities for roleplay.

Actually, houses are the factions. There are only three: Arcanum, Gear, & Kinnaes (Nature). Guilds & Clans may align themselves with the three Great Houses (factions).

hth,

~ Jaraeth

Jaraeth said:
Actually, houses are the factions. There are only three: Arcanum, Gear, & Kinnaes (Nature). Guilds & Clans may align themselves with the three Great Houses (factions).

And on top of that:

"Consisting of the Gearsmiths, Arcanums, and Kinnaes, the Triumvirate is the organization that oversees the three factions. At any time one of the factions controls the Triumvirate, and thus, controls the world." - Lorpedia

In my experience, people bung guilds together at the drop of a hat solely because they think they're leader material and want to say "I'm leader." More often than not they have no idea what being a leader is actually about.

I won't be joining a guild run by someone who hasn't run successful guilds in the past. I'll definitely be looking for roleplaying (not "casual" as in my experience "casual" roleplay means "never" and I get really bored with games if I'm not in character). I'm not all that fussed about the raiding/pvping aspects if it's not in character either.

I'll join a guild that sees the fun aspect as more important than the gear/items/epixxx. If I chose a wonky faction to belong to solely because I think it suits my character, I'd expect that to be respected rather than get repeatedly "lolled" for being lame, a guild where the roleplay is one the main foci, and if that's just a small group of 10 people, at least we know and enjoy each others' company.

You wouldnt join a guild made by someone who has great ambition and leadership if they havent made a guild before? That narrows it down alot, but then again taht can be a good thing. I think most of the good guilds in the games I ahve played come from one of two things.

1. A bunch of friends who play alot together, make a guild together. This is sually an awesome guild that does not have one person running everything. The entire guild is involved in every that gets done.

2. One person who thinks they have what it takes, and actually does. He manages to get a friend or two, and then a few stragglers. Then with that he manages to get the guilds name out, and grow even bigger.

How else do guilds get formed?

Nnem said:
How else do guilds get formed?

All to often? By people who actually do not have what it takes, but figure getting a bunch of people together means they'll be able to get items/money/experience faster by using others to get there. People who have no intention of actually leading a guild, having no idea what it entails, and then disappearing once the going gets too tough, leaving it for others to either pick up the pieces or the whole thing just dissolves. Out of most of the guilds which are currently forming even now for HJ, I imagine only one or two will actually survive ingame.

It may narrow things down considerably, but, for me, that's a good thing, as I won't join just any old guild. Chances are I won't join any guilds atall until the game is live and has been up for two weeks...thus giving time for things to settle and for the novelty and issues to be found and potentially worked through.