Your Number One Fan

Okay, so this fic is actually completely written before posting. Fine, there's actually one more chapter I have to still write, but I think holding out this long is really good, especially for me. Anway, I wrote most of this over the Christmas break and the whole thing is basically a product of my own bordom, but I still really like it. It's just one of those simple, feel good fics and is only 10 chapters, plus an epilogue (unless I start adding more chapters :thinking: )

This is just a basic summary about what the fic is about. Sydney loves hockey, and obviosuly Vaughn does as well. Their love of the sport is the cause for their meeting. Can their love for the sport grow on a larger scale and lead to their eventual love for eachother?

AN- This fic jumps around a lot in time, but it's not hard to follow and it always clrealy states approximately how many years have gone by

Chapter 1

“Girls can’t play hockey!”

“Then why are you playing, Vaughn?” And with that young Sydney Bristow took off down the ice leaving all of the boys on her team in her wake, who were all laughing hysterically at the captain of their team.

“Vaughn got burned by a girl,” they chanted.

Sydney smiled in satisfaction to herself. Serves him right, she thought.

She skated all the way down to the other end of the small, local area ice rink and waited for the rest of her teammates to follow her lead.

Sydney Bristow was a nine year old girl who adored hockey ever since her father introduced it to her when she was only four years old. She was on a team of all boys, which didn’t seem to cause her any discomfort at all. In fact, she liked it. She got the chance to show them all up with her impressive hockey skills.

She took the puck in between her stick and waited patiently. Vaughn was the last to arrive, dragging his skates all the way down the ice with a pathetic frown on his face. Sydney laughed quietly to herself.

The team waited for their coach, exchanging comments with one another. Nobody talked to Sydney, though. Talking to a girl would be like committing social suicide on a hockey team.

Finally the coach skated impressively towards the group of anxious nine year olds. He stopped in front of the large group with a large, warm smile.

“Alright team, let’s get started! This is a new year, and a new year for us to do the best we can.” He paused and glanced at Sydney with a small smile. “We have a new member to the team this season. Everyone this is Sydney Bristow. I’m sure she’ll be an extremely valuable player on our team. I want everyone to welcome her and respect her like you would any other player of this team,” the coach said to his team, while looking at the boys with overly large egos.

“I don’t want to hear anything like I did back there, Michael,” the coach scolded.

“Yes, Dad,” Vaughn mumbled.

Sydney looked between the coach and Vaughn, not realizing they were father and son, but looking at them now she could plainly see the resemblance between the two.

“Alright, let’s get started then,” the coach told his players, dumping a pile of pucks on the ice.

They skated towards the pucks that were located at center ice, and each player took one.

“Okay, the first thing I would like to do is have a little friendly competition.” The coach rubbed his hands together in mock anticipation.

Sydney rocked back and forth on her skates, eager to participate in any type of competition.

“It’s fairly simple. I want to see how well you can all handle the puck and how fast you are able to skate. I’ll split you into two groups. This side,” he said, pointing to the right, “will go first, and this side will go second.”

Sydney skated towards the side of the bench, being one of the players picked to go second. She looked to her left to see Vaughn following her to the bench. She smiled in anticipation, wanting to beat him. She knew it was juvenile to get this competitive about something as silly as a simple competition, but she took being told she couldn’t play hockey incredibly seriously.

Sydney climbed over the door and sat on the bench. There were five other boys, plus her and Vaughn who were in this group. They all stood, watching their other teammates begin to skate to the other end of the rink and back. Some of them were going at a descent speed, but Sydney knew she could do better. They basically all tied and no player stood out against the other.

“Good,” the coach said, stopping his stopwatch. “You boys go sit on the bench. Next group come on out.”

Everyone jumped eagerly over the bench and skated towards the starting line. Sydney took a few deep breathes. She grasped the stick in her small hand and bent over slightly, ready to go. She looked towards the coach, waiting for his signal indicating the beginning of the race. They had to go both there and back, so she didn’t want to start out too fast, but she also didn’t want to appear as a weak skater to the other boys. She had to find the happy medium.

The coach blew his whistle, signaling the start of the race.

Sydney took off with impressive force. She could see from her peripheral vision that she was already in front, but she could also see that Vaughn was at the same speed as she was. She could not let him win. His large ego didn’t need any boosting. Her legs were burning and her breathing was labored, but she pressed on, picking up her already remarkable speed. She touched the wall of the rink quickly and skated back the other way. She was now putting distance between her and Vaughn. She could see the look of panic on his face and the looks of surprise from the bench of boys as she speed by them. She grinned eagerly as she reached the end of the race. She had done it!

The rink fell silent for a moment, and then the coach laughed loudly.

“Serves you right, son, for telling a girl she couldn’t play hockey.”

Vaughn scowled at his dad when his friends and teammates laughed with their coach. Sydney just stood there proudly. The coach skated over to her and put an arm around her shoulder.

“Sydney, welcome to the team.”

That season their team came in first and won the gold medal in their city. Many believed it was because of Sydney’s presence on the team, but Vaughn and a few of his optimistic friends would never admit to something like that.

Eight years later Sydney was still playing hockey with just as much energy and enthusiasm as she was when she was nine years old. She never forgot the first hockey team she ever belonged to, though. She had even kept in close contact with some of the former members, but a lot of them had either moved away or lost interest in the sport.

She slung her hockey bag over her shoulder and tied her hair back after practice. She was now on an all girls travel team. She was the captain, and was a well respected player and friend to all the girls on the team.

“See you later, Syd,” her friend Katie called as she exited the dressing room. Sydney gave a half wave as she walked out into the foyer of the arena. She strolled over to the concession stand and ordered herself a steaming cup of hot chocolate. She had to wait for her mom to pick her up today, so she had some time to spare.

She fiddled with the lid of the cup and in the process almost tripped over a hockey bag located in the middle of the floor. She managed to grab the hot drink before it spilled all down the front of her shirt, but she ended up spilling the burning liquid all over her hands.

“Um, excuse me, could someone maybe move their bag before someone trips and kills themselves!” Sydney called out to the large crowd of people in her outspoken tone. They all turned towards her with curious looks. A boy around the same age as Sydney ran towards her.

“I’m so sorry. Are you alight?” he asked, picking up his bag from its position on the floor.

Sydney sighed. “I’ll live,” she told him in an annoyed tone, wiping off the hot chocolate from her hands. She looked up to see the face of the person who nearly caused her to trip and fall.

“Sydney?” he asked, slowly. She cocked her head to the side, trying to place the face with a name.

“Michael Vaughn,” he said.

“Holy felgercarb, you grew up,” she said loudly.

He laughed. “Yes, well that’s what happens in eight years.” He eyed the hockey bag on her shoulder. “Still playing hockey?” he asked.

“Yeah.”

“Still just as good?”

“Oh, so after eight years he finally admits I am good,” she called out dramatically with her hands in the air.

“Hey, I never said you weren’t good. Just not as good as me,” he said with a playful wink.

“Oh really? We’ll have to see about that one day.”

“Yes, we will.”

At that moment Sydney’s vision was thrown off when something blonde stepped in front of her. She stepped aside.

“Michael, I’m so sorry I’m late. I thought you said the game was at five, but I guess not,” this girl said with an obnoxiously loud giggle.

“It’s fine,” he said, quickly. “Lauren, this is Sydney.”

Lauren turned around, obviously not realizing she had interrupted a conversation.

“Sydney and I use to play hockey together when we were nine.”

Lauren looked at Sydney with disapproval. “Michael, shouldn’t you be getting ready for the big game?” she said, latching herself onto his arm and smiling up at him.

He looked down at his watch. “I guess I probably should, shouldn’t I? Sydney, you should stick around and watch if you can.”

“Um, well my mom is supposed to be picking me up in forty-five minutes, but I could ask her if she could come an hour later.”

“Great! You can see how much I improved in all of these years.”

“Hopefully a lot,” she told him, joking.

Lauren made an odd coughing noise with her throat, trying to remind both Vaughn and Sydney that she was still there.

“Oh, okay I need to get changed. I’ll talk to you after the game, though,” he told her, as Lauren pulled him away.

“Okay,” Sydney called back, pulling out her cell phone to call her mom.

She listened to Lauren talk loudly as the couple walked away.

“Girls can’t play hockey,” she heard her say to Vaughn in a loud whisper.

“Can, too!” Sydney called back loudly, causing Vaughn to smile widely at the comment and Lauren to glare.

lmaol
tjis is awesome
exept for the whole lauren thing
vaughn will ditch her soon
so vaughns gonna be some major hockey stud and syd will be amazied right

so how freqent u gonna update???

Daily?

PLEASE

lmaol
tjis is awesome
exept for the whole lauren thing
vaughn will ditch her soon
so vaughns gonna be some major hockey stud and syd will be amazied right

so how freqent u gonna update???
Daily?

PLEASE

I could do daily but then the fic will be gone in like ten days and that's just sad :( . Sometimes I'll do daily, but it will be at least every other day, so there won't be these huge gaps inbetween updates like all my other fics :blush:

Hi Please add me to your PM list, i'd like to know when you update. Its a great beginning and the story sounds like a masterpiece...

Because of the overwhelming amount of replies (I've never got this many on a first day :blush: ) I thought I would update once again. I'm most likely not going to update this frequently (less than twenty-four hours), but I can't help it :angelic: . Hope you all this chapter! Please read and reply :smiley:

Chapter 2

“I’ve never seen Vaughn play so well.”

Sydney smirked to herself, knowing the reason for Vaughn’s fast skating and hat trick for the night was because she was there, and he was trying to show her just how good he really was. It appeared he was still just as competitive as ever.

“He’s really on his game tonight. You’re right,” the other guy replied when Vaughn scored his forth goal of the game. The crowd cheered and began chanting his name loudly.

Vaughn skated around the other side of the net, smiling broadly at Sydney threw the glass. She rolled her eyes at him as he went to meet his team for a celebratory hug in the corner of the ice.

The game ended five minutes later, and the crowd starting heading towards the warm lobby of the arena. Sydney tossed her empty hot chocolate cup into the trash as she went to wait for Vaughn outside the dressing rooms. She heard people talking about Vaughn’s overwhelming performance tonight, causing Sydney to simply shake her head and smile at the situation. Sydney rubbed her bare hands together, trying to regulate her body back to normal temperature. She wasn’t used to standing in the cold. She was usually out there playing.

In record time Vaughn emerged from the dressing rooms with a grin that he couldn’t seem to wipe off his face.

“Showoff,” Sydney said.

“Yeah, a little,” he said with a shrug of the shoulders. The pair of them started walking away from the large group and towards the exit.

“So, seriously, what’d you think?” he asked her.

“Well, although it was impressive, but I still firmly believe I could kick your ass.”

“Really?”

“Yes, I really, truly do. If you do recall I beat you quite impressively at our first practice when we were nine.”

He laughed, recalling the embarrassing situation for him.

“I was mortified. Trust me, you wouldn’t understand, but I’m going to admit that was probably the most embarrassing moment of my life.”

“Well, now that’s just slightly sad and pathetic,” Sydney told him, while he held open the door for her in a gentleman like fashion.

“Thank you.” She stepped out into the warm L.A weather and undid her coat.

“My mom should be here soon. You don’t have to wait,” she told him.

“No, it’s fine. I’ve got nothing better to do.” He gestured towards the bench behind them, and they sat and placed their hockey bags next to eachother.

“I still can’t believe you play hockey,” he said after a minute of silence.

“Why?”

“I don’t know.” He paused. “I’ve thought about you over the years. I always wondered what Sydney Bristow did. Did she still play hockey? Was she still just as good? I guess now I finally have my answer.”

“It’s weird that we’ve never run into each other before this, considering we play at the same rink.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Well, I’m glad we finally did,” he told her with a genuine smile.

“Me, too.”

“My dad owns this small rink over on Sunset, so I practice there a lot, though.”

“Your dad owns a rink!? Vaughn asked with his mouth wide open in awe.

She laughed at his excitement. “It’s just a small one, and it’s really old. It was going to be torn down, but my dad bought it instead.”

“Wow, that’s probably the coolest thing I’ve ever heard in my whole life.”

Sydney looked down at her lap. “You could come by sometime if you want?” she said, quietly.

“Seriously? That would be awesome!” He was very enthusiastic about the idea, which caused Sydney to smile.

“I’m going to practice tomorrow around 1 o’clock. You could stop by if you’re not doing anything.”

Their conversation was rudely interrupted with the loud squealing voice of Lauren Reed.

“Michael, there you are! I’ve been sitting in there waiting for you. What are you doing out here?” she asked, eyeing Sydney suspiciously.

“Oh, Lauren, I’m so sorry,” he said, standing up. She put her hand on her hips and pouted. Sydney turned her head away and rolled her eyes at Lauren’s childish antics.

“Michael, let’s go. We have Sarah’s party tonight.”

“Oh, I forgot about that. Lauren, do you mind if we don’t go tonight? We just went to one of these parties last week.” Vaughn sighed, looking dejected.

“Sarah’s like my best friend, Michael. We’re going,” she said in her heavy British accent.

Vaughn sighed. “Fine, whatever. I’ll see you later, Sydney,” he said with a knowing glance.

Sydney nodded her head. He obviously did not want Lauren to know about their secret hockey meeting tomorrow. What did that mean?

~*~*~*~*~

Vaughn arrived home late that night and dove onto his bed, glad to escape the party atmosphere that he had just been forced to endure. Ever since he had started dating Lauren a year ago he had been in regular attendance of these parties, and he was quite frankly getting sick and tired of them, but Lauren was persistent in going.

He tipped his clock towards him so he could see the time. It was two in the morning and he was dead tired. He was supposed to meet Sydney at the rink tomorrow at one, and was very excited at the prospect. Not just because he was going to play hockey; the obvious reason, but because he genuinely enjoyed Sydney’s company. He knew this after only spending a mere couple minutes in her presence.

He shut off the light next to his bed, trying to get a few good hours of sleep for his meeting with Sydney tomorrow. He knew he would need it.

~*~*~*~*~

Sydney sat on her bed that night, trying to finish up some last minute homework. She crossed her leg underneath her and chewed on the end of her pen. She knew she would have to finish the homework up tonight if she would be spending most of her day at the rink with Vaughn tomorrow. She let out a sigh of accomplishment after she solved the complicated math problem in front of her. She threw her books down on the ground next to her bed, glad she could finally get some sleep. She wanted to be at the rink before Vaughn, and judging by his excited reaction today she guessed he would be there right at one o’clock on the dot.

Although, she wasn’t as competitive as she once was, she still had a competitive nature to her and during her time on the hockey team with Vaughn they had always been somewhat rivals. She knew that they had both forgotten about their childish behavior, but old habits die hard and she wanted prove to him that she was an outstanding player even though she was a girl.

Pm List

Ms.MichaelVaughn
aprilsfool6
gregstar
Catpin
Fieldstation
SpygirlAmy
Vaughnshoney
AliasSydney502
Kate_14
Agent Bristow-Vaughn
Dandan