Your Number One Fan

Sorry, guys. You're going to have to wait longer. I've been really sick all weekend and haven't had time to work on the fic at all, and I'm still not feeling 100% :blush:

Yeah, I know this took a long time to post, but it's a long update to make up for that, plus I don't really like this chapter for some weird reason, lol. I've had it written forever I've just been busy (and sick :blush: ). Life just always seems to get in the way :rolleyes: . I'm pretty sure this is chapter 9. If I'm wrong someone tell me.

Chapter 9

“So, that was fun.”

“It was,” Vaughn replied.

They both walked a couple feet behind Sydney’s team, as they all strolled ahead; most likely talking about Sydney and her new “friend.” Sydney linked her arm with Vaughn’s.

“So, you’re really going to stay?”

“Of course. I said I would, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, but I just can’t believe it.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. It’s just so sudden. One second I’m thinking I’m never going to see you again, and now I’m here walking with you.”

“Yeah, it is pretty insane, isn’t it?”

“Definitely insane.”

“So, what are we exactly…”Sydney asked, looking slightly nervous.

“Well I am a man and you are a woman, I am hoping,” he said, trying to annoy her.

“Oh, well thank you, Vaughn, for pointing out my gender for me, but you know what I mean.”

“What do you want us to be?”

“I don’t know. Are we dating now? Are you like my boyfriend?” she said timidly like a shy school girl.

“If you want me to be.”

“Really?!” she asked, loudly, causing some of the girls in front of them to turn around curiously.

“Of course, I’ve been waiting for this since I was like seventeen.”

“Aw, me too,” she said, kissing his check loudly.

“I like this,” she told him.
“Me, too.” He pulled her closer to him and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

Sydney squeezed her eyes shut, never imagining she could ever have such a good day. She had just won the game that allowed her to go to the gold medal match of the Olympics, and she had now had a boyfriend that she never anticipated before this. Both Sydney and Vaughn knew they had been waiting for eachother for years now, and now that they finally had each other they had no intention of losing one another again.

They made it back to the hotel at one that morning, and Sydney could barely keep her head up. The game that afternoon had taken a lot out of her and she had been running purely on energy and excitement.

They all meet Katrina in the foyer who was waiting for them, knowing they wouldn’t make it past one.

“Okay, everybody to bed.” She looked towards Sydney who appeared to be practically passed out on the shoulder of a man.

“I see you found your lady love,” Katrina said, nodding at Sydney and looking at Vaughn.

Sydney lifted her head from Vaughn’s shoulder.

“What?”

“I told him where to find you. I remembered him from the rink when you were seventeen and you snuck out of the dressing room to see him.” She laughed slightly at the memory. “I have a very sharp mind,” she said, taping the side of her head.

Sydney laughed quietly, remembering the moment. She didn’t have the energy to laugh loudly, though. She was at the point where she could probably fall asleep right there on Vaughn’s shoulder.

“Okay, sleeping beauty, I think it’s time you get to bed.”

“Oh no you don’t. You are not staying in the same room as her or she’ll never sleep.”

“Katrina!” Sydney said, mortified, knowing what her coach was suggesting.

“I have a room on the next floor.”

“Oh, all right then,” Katrina said, blushing slightly. Vaughn led Sydney past the rest of the girls who were all looking at Sydney jealously.

“How did you manage to get a room? The place is packed because of the games,” Sydney said in between a yawn, as the elevator made its ascent up to Sydney’s floor.

“Trust me, it was not cheap.”

“Oh, don’t spend a lot of money. I don’t want you to do that for me.”

“Sydney, it’s fine. I want to, plus I’m not really having money issues right now.”

Sydney nodded, knowing the crazy salary he was making a year. “Are you sure?”

“I’m positive. I want to be here, even though I know you’ll be practicing a lot, I want to be able to cheer you on.”

“That’s nice,” Sydney told him while covering a yawn. Sydney was now basically asleep on his shoulder and he had to continue to lead her forward before she passed out. They walked down the hallway to her room, while she fished in her purse for her keycard. She pulled it out and fumbled with the plastic, trying to get it into the lock.

“Here,” Vaughn said, taking it from her hand and swiping it down to unlock the room.

“Are you sure you’ll be able to make it inside, or are you just going to collapse the second you close this door?”

“Probably collapse, but I’ll be fine. I’ve got practice tomorrow at 6:00 in the morning.”

“Can I come?” Vaughn asked, eagerly.

“You want to come?” Sydney said in surprise.

“Yeah, of course.”

“Um, I don’t think Katrina will mind, but it’s really early.”

“Sydney, trust me when I say I’m used to the insane hockey hours.”

“Okay, meet me here at like 5:00.”

“Okay,” he said, kissing her quickly on the lips. “Sweet dreams.”

She smiled and backed into her room, nearly tripping over a shoe that was located just inside the room. She watched as he walked away, then she shut the door with a sigh. She couldn’t wrap her head around the fact that this was actually happening to her. She couldn’t wait to share the news with Nadia, but right now Sydney really didn’t think she would be able to even hold a phone for more than two minutes. She threw off her clothes and pulled on some cute, pink pajamas and jumped right into bed without brushing her teeth or doing any other of her nightly routines.

The morning came all too soon for Sydney. She hit the alarm clock beside her with a loud bang, cursing its very existence. She made herself get out of bed soon after, though. She knew if she didn’t get up right away she never would, and then would be facing death from Katrina, which she had no desire to endure at this ungodly hour in the morning.

She quickly peeled off her comfy pajamas and replaced them with a pair of old jogging pants, white tank top and blue sweater. Her appearance was of no concern to her since she was about to get all sweaty and gross anyway. She threw up her hair on the top of her head and didn’t even take a second glance at her minimal amount of makeup on her dresser. She tied up her running shoes, grabbed a muffin that she had with her and a bottle of water from the small refrigerator that the hotel provided.

She heard a soft knock on the door.

“One sec,” she called, grabbing her small bag. Her actual hockey equipment was already at the rink. She jogged over to the door and meet Vaughn there with a smile. He held up two cups of steaming coffee.

“Oh my God, you are my savior,” she told him, taking the coffee from him. He laughed. “You’re insane, though. What time did you get up at?”

“I don’t know. I don’t really sleep a lot.”

“Well thank you for the coffee.”

“You’re very welcome,” he said as they stepped into the unoccupied elevator.

Sydney grinned mischievously at him when the doors closed.

“I don’t think I got to say a proper good morning to you.” She took a step closer to him and started attacking him with her lips.

"Oh my god, Syd, in an elevator!” he said, after she was done. “Not that I’m complaining,” he added quickly.

“Hey, haven’t you ever watched Grey’s Anatomy?” she said, stepping to his side.

He laughed. “You’re weird, Bristow.”

“Thank you,” she said as the elevator doors opened and they stepped out.

The made it to the rink in only five minutes, since they were in the hotel that was close to the arena for obvious reasons. It felt like home as they stepped inside and were met with a cold blast of air. The area was completely silent due to the early morning practice.

“I’ve got to go and get ready. I’ll talk to you later. Feel free to leave, though. Katrina tends to make these practices quite long.”

She ran off without another word as Vaughn found a seat to watch from, where he would be able to see everything. He still had thirty minutes until Sydney was going to practice, so he decided to take a walk around the area before. He would get too cold if he just sat in one place for too long. He grabbed another cup of coffee from a vending machine. The liquid was scorching hot and burned the tip of his tongue when he stupidly took a rather large sip.

“So, I see we have a visitor with us this morning,” he heard a voice from behind. He turned around to see Katrina standing behind him with her arms crossed behind her back. Her intimidating presence caused him to take a step back.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Vaughn, I’m not here to tell you to leave. You actually might be of some assistance to my team if you watch. However, I would like to talk to you.”

Vaughn didn’t say anything, just shifted his coffee from his hand. He didn’t want to be rude so he endured the pain of basically having the skin on his hands burned off.

“I’m here to talk to you about Sydney.”

Vaughn couldn’t move. He was leaning up against the wall at this point. “What about Sydney?”

“About how much I care for her, and how much I will hurt if you cause her any pain whatsoever.” Vaughn gulped. This was one frightening woman. Her eyes seemed to bore into him with their piercing auburn colour.

“Sydney is not only a valuable member of this team, but she is also a friend, and I swear to god, if you coming to see her is some type of way to get over an ex-girlfriend or something, I will kill you. Do we have an understanding?”

“Yes,” Vaughn said quickly, almost feeling the need to solute her.

With that Katrina turned on her heel and headed back towards her dressing room where her girls were waiting for her. She walked in as Sydney looked up from her skate tying.

“Where did you go?” she asked suspiciously.

“What? A girl can go get a coffee without being questioned?” Sydney decided not to respond to that, knowing where Katrina had actually gone. She didn’t mind. She was just being her over protective self as usual.

Sydney stood up, grabbed her stick, and hastily buttoned up her helmet.

“Thanks, Kat,” she whispered as she went past Katrina, wobbling slightly due to the heavy equipment she was dressed in.

Katrina smiled with a perplexed grin, pretending to not understand what Sydney was referring to.

Sydney and three of her other teammates were the first out on the ice, and began with just simply skating around, attempting to wake their bodies from their exhausted state.

The rest of the team was quick to join them. Sydney had to keep averting her eyes from the stands where they seemed to keep moving. She knew if this team was going to win gold then she had to stay focused. Not that she felt she was the entire team and that the team would never survive without her, but she did know that she was a big driving force to their winning streak, so she erased Vaughn and his presence from her mind and focused on the puck in front of her.

By the end of the practice Sydney felt satisfied that she had been able to successfully focus her full attention at this practice. She stepped off the ice and immediately took off her sweaty helmet and shook her hair out.

“Well, don’t you look beautiful.”

“Ah, don’t look at me and my sweaty grossness.”

“Grossness?”

“Yes, absolute sweaty, grossness.”

“I happen to like your sweaty grossness.”

“Well, that’s just because you’re an insane person.”

He took a step closer to him, and this time she didn’t take a step back. “Well now I can be your insane person.”

Sydney sighed, knowing it was the cheesiest line, but her heart melted at his words all the same. She couldn’t help it. Whenever he opened his mouth her knees would go weak and her heart would beat ten times faster then normal. Despite being with him for such a short amount of time she could feel herself falling for him fast and hard with no control over where she landed.

How cute were they...
I loved Kat's protectiveness...
I'm glad that he stayed.
Can't wait to see Nadia's reaction to Syd's news...
Thanks for the pm.

aww that was a great chapter, i loved it! i love syd's coach, im glad she has someone to look out for her! :D
thanks for the PM :P cant wait for more!

Oh my god, Syd, in an elevator!” he said, after she was done. “Not that I’m complaining,” he added quickly.

ha ha they do do that a lot!
that was a cute chapter!
im sorry you were sick :(
thanks for the pm
-laura

Aww they are soo freaking adorable together!!!
-And I'm glad she is falling for him fast but I mean who wouldn't fall fast and hard for him!!! :D
Loved it! Thanks for the pm!!

aww ya ya
what was wrong with that cha
not only did we get vaughn near syds door but we got a freakking Greys anatomy refrence
what more could we ask for!
that was awesome
long and so worth the wait

That was great ... aww they are soo cute ... love Syd coach so sweet ... cant wait for Nadias reaction shes going to flip a lid ... soo cute

Katrina's a champ :smiley: One of my good friend's is called Katrina (although she prefers Kat) but yes :lol: She's a champion too 😆

Thanks heaps for the update and PM mate! :cheers:

I don't know why we shouldn't love the chapter :thinking: I liked it... it shows how Vaughn and Syd are getting used to each other... :angelic:

thx for the loooong update :P

:hug: cookie

can't wait for more (as usual) LOL :woot:

Oh my god, Syd, in an elevator!” he said, after she was done. “Not that I’m complaining,” he added quickly.

LMAO. Seriously Vaughn...

Great update. How I missed this fic sooooo much. Glad that Kat is there to make sure everything is a-okay. Hope she doesn't mess up from when Vaughn is in the stands.

BTW, did I miss it or something, but did he tell Syd that he plays for the Kings with Eric?

-erin :smiley:

Thanks for the PM!

Back