Your Number One Fan

ooo that was great!
i am so glad that there meeting up with each other, it will be just like old times, although i have a feeling (or rather i hope) that sparks will fly between them while they catch up! :love:
loved it :D thanks for the PM :P cant wait for more

I have a very simple solution to Vaughn's problem...DUMP LAUREN!!!! :D
-I'm sure Syd will prove that she's still just as good as him!!
I'm glad this will be updated frequently!!! :woot:
-Thanks for the pm!!

This fic is just awesome!
But i have a question: Why is Vaughn dating Lauren? And for a year too! I mean he should totally dump her!

That was great ... aww he was showing off for Syd ... lamo he forgot about Lauren ... please PM me when yoiu update ... thanks

“Sydney?” he asked, slowly. She cocked her head to the side, trying to place the face with a name.

“Michael Vaughn,” he said.

“Holy felgercarb, you grew up,” she said loudly.

“Girls can’t play hockey,” she heard her say to Vaughn in a loud whisper.

“Can, too!” Sydney called back loudly, causing Vaughn to smile widely at the comment and Lauren to glare.
haha syd's cute. this looks sooo good. different anyway pm please

Update :woot:. It's a long one :smiley: . Hope you like it!

Chapter 3

Sydney awoke the next morning and quickly gathered all of her hockey equipment that was scattered all throughout the basement. She wouldn’t need it all since she didn’t plan on dressing in full equipment, but she at least needed her gloves, stick and skates.

“Dad, do you know where my helmet is?” she called up the stairs.

“It’s up here, Sweetheart,” he said, after a moment of searching.

Sydney sighed, thankful that she hadn’t lost the expensive piece of equipment. She hoisted the heavy bag up onto her shoulder and made the assent up the stairs. Her dad was waiting at the top with the helmet held out for her to take.

“Thanks, dad. Hey, can you give me a ride to the rink please?”

“Now?” he asked.

“If you can,” Sydney said, hoping he would be able to.

“We’ve got to go right now then,” he said, making his way to the door to put on his shoes.

Ten minutes later Sydney let herself into the small rink. The stillness of the arena was incredible; not a soul was present. She was still amazed that this was all hers. It wasn’t in the best condition but it was still ice. Although she didn’t like to admit it or brag, her family definitely had a lot of money and maintaining the arena was never a problem.

Sydney sat on the edge of the bleachers and took out her skates from her bag. She slid each foot into the skate and tied them up quickly.

Sydney didn’t realize that Vaughn stood just outside of her line of vision. He watched with a small smile playing at his lips. The way she put on her skates seemed so simple, like she did every day of her life, which she probably had.

He stepped out of the shadows, deciding to make his presence know to her so she wouldn’t think he was some sort of creepy stalker lurking in the shadows.

“Hey,” he said. She looked up quickly after bending over and tying her last skate. She jumped up eagerly.

“I’m ready when you are.”

“Just give me a sec.” Vaughn sat down on the edge of the bleachers like Sydney had done and began to lace up his own skates just as fast. Sydney taped her skate against the floor impatiently.

“Somebody’s a little impatient today I see.”

Sydney shrugged her shoulders and picked up her stick that was leaning against the rink. Vaughn stood up and grabbed his own stick as well.

“Did you bring pucks?” Sydney asked, showing him the only two she had since she had forgotten her large stack at home.

“Did I bring pucks?” he said, reaching into his bag and pulling out two buckets full.

Sydney laughed and jumped onto the ice and skated off to the other side. Vaughn stood back for a moment and watched how gracefully she seemed to float across the ice while still maintaining her fast speed.

“Are you coming?” Sydney asked as her voice rung out across the ice, echoing off the walls.

Vaughn shook his head, not realizing that he had been staring for quite some time. He jumped onto the ice like Sydney had and skated towards her.

“So care to have a rematch at our little speed competition?” Vaughn asked once he was at Sydney’s side. Her eyes widened and she smiled.

“I would never turn down a good, old, friendly competition,” she said. The pair of them skated towards the one end of the ice to take their position.

“To there and back,” Sydney said, clarifying. Vaughn nodded his head, focusing all his attention on the other end of the rink.

“On you mark,” Sydney said.

“Get set,” Vaughn said, as the both crouched down slightly.

“GO!” the both yelled in unison as they skated off to the other end of the rink. Both of them were basically going at the same pace the whole way there, and were reaching incredible speeds. They started skating back when Sydney decided to have a little fun with this. She grabbed Vaughn’s arm, pulling him back. Noticing the weight that was now latched tightly on his arm he tried shaking Sydney off, but she wouldn’t let go.

“You do realize this is considering cheating?” he said, with a laugh.

She started skating backwards as he tried skating forward. “I don’t consider it cheating. I considered it to be…” She paused, thinking of a good excuse. “It’s called holding the competition back from their full potential.” She looked down at her hand that was wrapped tightly around his bicep. “Literally.”

“Oh, is that what this is?”

She nodded, and Vaughn stopped suddenly and spun around quickly, sending Sydney flying in the opposite direction. She grabbed his hand as she was about to fall over, though. He stopped.

“And that is how you stop the competition.”

She rolled her eyes and glanced down at their hands that were still connected. She blushed and let go of his hand, not picking up on the frown it enlisted from him.

“So you ready to play some serious hockey, Bristow?” he said, picking up his stick that was now on the ground.

“I’m always ready to play real hockey.”

“We’ll see, we’ll see,” he said, skating off towards the neck.

“Yes, we will,” she said, following him.

Three hours later both Sydney and Vaughn were having a fantastic time in each other’s company. Sydney was now only in her tank top, despite the cold of the arena and was Vaughn was in his t-shirt.

“Bristow's got the puck! She crosses the blue line! She's at the top of the circle!” Vaughn commentated.

“She shoots! She scores!” Sydney finished for him, as the punk went in between his legs.

“Hey, I’m no goalie.”

“Excuses, excuses.”

Vaughn looked down at his watch. “Wow, it’s really getting late.”

“What time is it?” Sydney asked, turning his wrist so it was facing her as well.

“Yeah, it is. What are you doing now?” Sydney asked, while circling around Vaughn.

“Um, nothing,” he lied, knowing he had plans with Lauren. Why was he lying about this? Didn’t he want to spend time with Lauren, his girlfriend?

“You want to get something to eat. I’m starving.” She said just as her stomach made a loud grumble. “See!” she exclaimed, pointing to it.

“I guess you are. Let me go just make a quick call to my parents to let them know where I am.”

Sydney nodded her head, focusing her attention back to hockey. She shot the puck into the net as Vaughn skated towards the bench. He hopped over it easily and fished out his cell phone from in his bag. He walked as far as he could get so Sydney wouldn’t be able to overhear his conversation. He dialled in the familiar number and waited for someone to pick up.

“Hello.”

“Hi, Lauren, it’s me.”

“Hi, honey, what are you doing?”

“I’m actually lying down right now. I’m not feeling too well. I know you really wanted to go out tonight, but I don’t know if I’m really feeling up to it.”

“Oh, you poor thing. I’ll come over to you then.”

“Lauren, you don’t have to. I went to the doctors with my mom this afternoon and he said it was something contagious. I wouldn’t want you to get sick, too.”

“Oh, you’re right. Well, I’ll call you later on tonight to see how you are.”

“Okay, I’ll talk to you then,” Vaughn said, flipping his phone shut. He felt terrible lying to her, but he didn’t want to pass up the chance to spend some time with Sydney. They had spent so much of the day discussing hockey and subjects related to hockey that he barely got to hear anything about her.

“I’m ready to go when you are,” Vaughn called to Sydney. She was already off the ice and undoing her skates. She wiped her face with a towel.

“Ugh, I feel so disgusting right now.”

“Yeah, me too, but at least we can be disgusting together.”

The both walked out of the arena side by side. “I don’t have a car with me,” Sydney told him.

“That’s okay. My dad let me use his for the day. There’s room for both our stuff,” he said, opening up the spacious truck. They both placed their bags inside and walked around the car to sit in their respective seats.

“So where do you want to go?” Vaughn said, backing out into traffic.

Sydney shrugged her shoulders. “Doesn’t matter to me,” she said.

Twenty minutes Sydney and Vaughn were seated at a small pizza parlour called Joey’s Pizza, waiting for their orders.

Sydney crossed her legs and sat back. “So, you didn’t have plans tonight?” Sydney asked.

Vaughn looked up quickly. “What?”

“The arena’s not big enough for me not to hear you talking at full volume, Vaughn.”

Vaughn blushed, realizing she knew that he had cancelled his plans with his girlfriend to spend time with her.

“So why are you with Lauren if you don’t want to actually spend time with her?”

“I never said I didn’t want to spend time with her!” Vaughn said raising his voice, defensively.

Sydney held up her hands. “Fine, we’ll drop the subject.”

It was quiet until Vaughn broke it. “I just needed a break tonight,” Vaughn told Sydney, knowing that wasn’t the whole truth. The full truth was that he was simply getting tired of Lauren and all of her annoying traits. He felt like he never had a moment to himself anymore and he was constantly being forced to do things he didn’t want to when he would much rather be sitting at home watching a movie or playing hockey.

Sydney nodded her head, accepting that. Their pizzas arrived. They were able to keep a conversation going that didn’t involve hockey for a while, but eventually it all lead back to hockey for the pair of them

“So, do you plan on playing for the rest of your life?” Sydney asked him after she had finished a bite of her pizza.

“I hope to. I know a lot of people don’t make into the NHL, but I have this dream that I will be one of the ones to be accepted.”

“You will, trust me.”

“How do you know?”

“Oh, I know all.”

“What do you plan on doing after school?” he asked.

“Who knows? I’ll probably end up going to University or College, since that’s what my dad wants for me.”

“Yeah, my parents want me to go, too, but I’m not sure. All I want to do is-”

“Play hockey,” Sydney finished for him.

“Exactly, you freaky mind reader.”

Vaughn dropped Sydney off at her house that night, and for some reason she had butterflies somersaulting in her stomach. She didn’t know why. This wasn’t a date! It was just two old, hockey team mates getting together. Nothing more. Vaughn looked towards Sydney.

“Well this was fun.”

“It was. Hopefully we’ll run into each other again.”

“When do you play next?” Vaughn asked her.

“Um, next Sunday at four.”

“I’ll be there!”

“Vaughn, you don’t have to.”

“But I want to. I haven’t been able to see the great Sydney Bristow in real action in a while now.”

“Fine, I’ll see you then,” Sydney said, exiting the car and grabbing her stuff from the back quickly. She didn’t want to give herself time to think about what would most likely happen if this was a date.

She ran into her house and gave Vaughn a tiny wave as she walked into the house. Sydney threw her stuff into a pile in the corner of the foyer.

“Sydney, what did I tell you about picking up after yourself,” her dad called from the kitchen, obviously hearing her through her bag without care. Sydney rolled her eyes and threw it down the stairs and walked up to her room, meeting her younger sister on the way up. She grabbed her roughly by the arm and pulled her into her room. Sydney and her sister were best friends, and right now Sydney definitely needed someone to talk to about…her feelings (something that she would rather avoid).

“Ow, Syd what’s with the rough handling,” Nadia said, rubbing her arm.

“I need to talk to you.”
“Oh, is it something girly? I think I’ve been waiting for this moment all my life,” Nadia said, sitting on Sydney’s bed with her legs crossed and an eager smile on her face. Sydney and her sister may have been best friends, but they were most definitely complete opposites. They were both very outspoken and loud, but while most of Sydney’s attention was focused on hockey and school work, Nadia was more interested in shopping and makeup.

Sydney threw off her shirt and replaced it with a cleaner one, while Nadia waited expectantly for Sydney to start talking. Slowly Sydney sat on the edge of her bed next to her sister, trying to figure out how she was going to form these words.

“I think I kind of might have a crush on this guy.”

“Oh my god, my Sydney’s first crush. This should be documented.”

Sydney threw a pillow at her sister. “Leave me alone, but seriously I don’t know want to do.”

“Well, does he have a girlfriend?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, of course he does,” Nadia said, throwing her arms in the air. Sydney laughed at her sister’s behaviour.

“Do you have a picture?”

“Um, actually I do,” Sydney said, standing up and fishing threw her drawers. She came out with her team picture from eight years ago, and handed it to Nadia while pointing to the picture of Vaughn.

Nadia’s eyes became as large as saucers as she observed the picture. “Syd, do you want to go to jail? This kid is like nine!”

Sydney hit her sister on the back of the head. “He was on my hockey team when I was nine, you idiot.”

“Well, he’s definitely a cute nine year old.”

“Yeah, and it only got better,” Sydney said quietly.

“Oh my god, you’re like in love or something.”

“I am not in love. This was like the first time I saw him since I was nine. For all I know he could be a killer or something!”

“Yup, you’re in love.”

Back