Your stance on 1337 speak?

If people want to shorten up thier words and use acronyms or what not instead of typing the word then thats cool, I use it myself. The whole 1337 speak era that I guess the internet is in right now, well at least by some is just pointless. I know people use it to make their e-peepee's seem bigger or so they can try impress that cute girl in game who's actually a 70 yr old pediphile but hey to each their own whatever you like is your own buisness.

Thats really the nice thing about chat its very easy to just not read it where if you're talking to someone then its a bit more difficult. So in the end I'm not a big fan of it.

Oh and the whole proper english thing. Well I don't really proof read what I write either so I don't really care if I misspell something since I'm just conveying my thoughts not writing a thesus.

It looks like the popular opinion is that those who don't speak "properly" online are dumb. How would one go about knowing for sure one way or the other without really knowing them? I'm really just trying to understand the psychology behind the stance. I don't get it.

But lets say they were not very bright. I'm a fairly intelligent person and I speak well enough but I can't see myself looking down on anyone purely for not being as smart as me or for not being particularly intelligent. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just trying to understand. Maybe my standards are obsolete and outdated but I welcome a chance to game with anyone that is polite and isn't harassing me. Also, from my experience, a persons broken English, had no bearing on their skill or knowledge of the game.

Thinking this over, I kind of agree with Cordy... do whatever you want. I don't have to like it or agree, but expect some disagreements.

However, you know what would solve alot of folks issues with grammar, 1337-speak, etc? an /rpfilter command, like that seen in DAoC. Something like:
/rpfilter ph34r fear
/rpfilter m3 me
/rpfilter 14m3r scum

The next time some 12 yo types "ph34r m3h 14m3r!", you'll see "fear me scum!" ... That fits your own RP style, depending on your usage of /rpfilter, and you don't have to see what someone else actually wrote, thusly not being annoyed.

~ Jaraeth

z80 said:
It looks like the popular opinion is that those who don't speak "properly" online are dumb. How would one go about knowing for sure one way or the other without really knowing them? I'm really just trying to understand the psychology behind the stance. I don't get it.

But lets say they were not very bright. I'm a fairly intelligent person and I speak well enough but I can't see myself looking down on anyone purely for not being as smart as me or for not being particularly intelligent. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just trying to understand. Maybe my standards are obsolete and outdated but I welcome a chance to game with anyone that is polite and isn't harassing me. Also, from my experience, a persons broken English, had no bearing on their skill or knowledge of the game.

Well looking down and casting judgement isn't really the same thing as not wanting to group constantly with the sort. I know folks who can't type for felgercarb and they won't play with my usual hunting group because we just naturally try and type well with a nice natural dialogue. I can group with them just fine, but for their comfort they'd not want to group with others. Maybe they don't want to be judged? Maybe one person typing paragraph long responses is one enough?
I know people who won't group with folks who create paladin avatars in games. Or even the ranger archetype. Why? They believe there's a certain type of person who play those type of characters.

Tis their fancy. Some of these folks seem to get a kick out of trying to type 1337, but it seems more of them are making fun of short hand. Now the hackers I recall from the days gone by, they'd not use numbers every chance they got. In fact they'd mostly just change their keyboard letters to type special characters for the hell of it. A theory as to why was increased security if someone was on their system. The dots for a password wouldn't reveal the fact a t was actually a
† (NTR dagger symbol if it doesn't appear on the post).

I'd rather group with folks that can keep up with me, and myself them. Some folks use 1337 speak to move along faster. Others just don't know any better and move slowly as they peck out their concerns.

z80 said:

If I had came across as 133t-speak users being dumb, then my apologies... however, I am a bit jaded, as I am a Systems Administrator, and I fix holes and hacked servers day in and day out... thus, I see alot of defaced websites, hacked servers, etc... all with "133t-speak" stating how "133t" they were for "h4x0r1ng t3h b0x3n".

I don't think these... kids, or people of whatever age, are not intelligent. Most script kiddies, as I call them, that use 133t-speak in a computer hacking environment, actually are vastly intelligent to pull off some of the feats they manage. However, the ones I feel, personally, are of an age somewhere around 2 yo, are because whatever their actual age may be, they throw tantrums relatively equivalent to a 2 year old when told that it's much easier to speak normally.

My 16 yo sister speaks like she types: "wut", not "what" Sure it's short, by one letter... I harass her all the time, I know she's not great at spelling, but I harass her for 1) it's not correct, 2) she's 2 years from college and wanting to be an architectural engineer... there's not 4rch1t3ctur3 in that title, and 3) learn now, how to say words correctly and spell them, and she'll break the shortcut habit.

A third thing is, I've heard the argument about fast texting on cell phones... yeah, but... my cell phone has a thing called "t9word", which I hit the # key for the letters I want and it tries to guess what the word is I want... so far, 79 times out of 80, it grabs the words I want first time... and it's faster than shortening them.

So the answer is: 1337-speak does not mean their dumb, when questioning intelligence in as much I question their intelligence for making themselves appear less educated than they are. We all make typo's, I'm the king of them in my Guild... they've renamed "MT" (Miss Tell/Mistype) to "JarS" (Jaraeth Syndrome). But 1337-speak is cool, for messing around with when bored... not as a secondary language (contrary to my local wal-mart cell phone posters).

Just my two copper...

~ Jaraeth

cordy said:
If people want to shorten up thier words and use acronyms or what not instead of typing the word then thats cool, I use it myself. The whole 1337 speak era that I guess the internet is in right now, well at least by some is just pointless. I know people use it to make their e-peepee's seem bigger or so they can try impress that cute girl in game who's actually a 70 yr old pediphile but hey to each their own whatever you like is your own buisness.

Thats really the nice thing about chat its very easy to just not read it where if you're talking to someone then its a bit more difficult. So in the end I'm not a big fan of it.

Oh and the whole proper english thing. Well I don't really proof read what I write either so I don't really care if I misspell something since I'm just conveying my thoughts not writing a thesus.

Proof read? Well, I think things faster than I type them, so most of it's just natural. That's why there are so many ", like,"s in my typing. I pause every now and then to choose the best word, but, really... I don't understand why someone wouldn't insert the pauses and such that they would use in casual speach. Yeah...

z80 said:

It's not a sign of a lack of intellegence so much as it is a sign of ignoring proper english. Know what I mean? I wouldn't look down on someone just because they were stupid(depending of just how stupid they were), but I do look down on people who refuse to be courteous. Using broken english(It's ok if it's not your first language. In which case, more power to ya.) is an insult. Oh, and I hate it when people type "ya", but mean "yeah". "Ya" is just a more casual way to say "you", not a way to say yes. People need to pay more attention...

Kuzzle said:
It's not a sign of a lack of intellegence so much as it is a sign of ignoring proper english. Know what I mean? I wouldn't look down on someone just because they were stupid(depending of just how stupid they were), but I do look down on people who refuse to be courteous. Using broken english(It's ok if it's not your first language. In which case, more power to ya.) is an insult. Oh, and I hate it when people type "ya", but mean "yeah". "Ya" is just a more casual way to say "you", not a way to say yes. People need to pay more attention...

on that topic *snicker ;) Jaraeth's pet peeve's:

1. I hate "kk"... if you want short hand, use - 'k - I use that, because I don't actually say "ok" in real life... I say "k". I don't say "kk" in real life, why type it?

2. "gtg" means "got to go", not "good to go". Back in the bitnet and IRC days, where shorthand chat seems to have originated, "gtg" was something someone said when they were about to log off for the day/night. Now I can't stand seeing "gtg" for the simple fact that I don't know which term they mean to use.

3. Don't say "lol" and "rofl" in real life... 2 of my friends were actually *pronouncing* "LOL" and not L-O-L. The oddest was when they were heard saying "rofl", like "roffel". Grinds my nerves ;)

I'll go broke if I offer any more of my copper... so I'll stop there :cool:

~ Jaraeth

Luciro said:
I'd rather group with folks that can keep up with me, and myself them. Some folks use 1337 speak to move along faster. Others just don't know any better and move slowly as they peck out their concerns.
That is a valid point and is understandable. I must say that I wasn't referring to you specifically. Just generalizing. But your post gives me a better understanding of one way of looking at the issue.
-----------------------------------------
Jaraeth said:
Just my two copper...

~ Jaraeth
Jaded. That's understandable. I've been jaded before and didn't want to be bothered by something before due to what I felt was overexposure to their (admittedly) harmless qualities. So I take what you are saying in so many words is that you deal with it in your work and would prefer to avoid it during your leisure time?
-----------------------------------------
Kuzzle said:
Who exactly is being insulted when broken English is being used? Who would someone be trying to please by paying more attention? Why are said individuals worth pleasing (in game at that)?

It's not a matter of trying to please people.... Gah! I don't know. It's just, like, if people really did cut down their words because they wanted to save time, they would only do it during combat. Even so, they should just learn to type. I mean, it's an integral part of the gaming experience. If you can't cut it, it'll cut you. :mad: I'm just saying, I don't want to have to put up with someone else's inability to do what's expected.

Leetspeak doesn't really fall under this catagory, though, because it's intentionally ignoring proper english, so it's very much worse.

Kuzzle said:
:mad: I'm just saying, I don't want to have to put up with someone else's inability to do what's expected.

Leetspeak doesn't really fall under this catagory, though, because it's intentionally ignoring proper english, so it's very much worse.

What is expected of someone just having a good time playing a videogame in their spare time (and ultimately not doing anything particularly professional or academic)? Why is it worse and what harm does it do? Just trying to understand.

I'll give some possible examples of why one could possibly be offended by poor English skills. Perhaps you are a descendant of the man the invented English. Perhaps you are just a huge fan of the language. If either is true then those would be very understandable. Perhaps you know or have seen someone who got hurt badly because they or someone else couldn't speak clearly. Perhaps you are an American who is very patriotic and you believe strongly that the American way is the proper way and the American way is to speak flawless English and all else is an abomination that shouldn't be or be tolerated. I don't know, that's why I ask. I'm not trying to criticize anyones reasoning, I am only trying to know what those reasons are.

...Actually, Americans murder English just as much, or even more, than people who learn it as a second language. Ok, well, that depends on what their first language was...

Anywa, I'm sorry, I took it a step too far. I guess all I'm saying is that it doesn't take any less time, and is no easier, so I don't understand why people omit punctuation.(sp?) It's just... I hate it when people ask a question, but don't put a question mark at the end, or something like that. It makes them much more difficult to communicate with...

(Edit: Is could also just be that I'm mildly OCD, so, yeah, it bugs me...)

Kuzzle said:
(Edit: Is could also just be that I'm mildly OCD, so, yeah, it bugs me...)
There it is, mild OCD. Perfectly understandable. I think I along with most people I have met have mild OCD.

z80 said:
Jaded. That's understandable. I've been jaded before and didn't want to be bothered by something before due to what I felt was overexposure to their (admittedly) harmless qualities. So I take what you are saying in so many words is that you deal with it in your work and would prefer to avoid it during your leisure time?

In not so many of my rambling words... yes ;) I hear it, see it, breathe it... one less place to come across it, would make me a happy person :cool:

~ Jaraeth

I know someone in Ryzom, that doesn't put brackets around her emotes... it drives me up the wall. Stuff like:

"Hello everyone hugz" and "Hey there winks what you up to today smiles?"

Gah!

Back