Your stance on 1337 speak?

z80

Cadet
I noticed in more than a couple of threads there are folks that are very much against the use of leetspeak or otherwise less than absolutely flawless English ingame. This thread is here to discuss the topic specifically. I'd like to know how all of you feel about it. Like it? Dislike it? Don't care? If you could go into why (either way) that would be appreciated as well.

I do not care for the use of 'elite' speak at all, especially in game. Elite speak may have originally been a tool for the computer savvy to represent themselves in a higher social echelon of geekdom, but it has since devolved, in my opinion, into the 'gutterspeak' of the unintelligent and childish.

However, I don't really mind if people selectively use it in public forums and whatnot. In fact, from time to time, I can't resist the urge to use terms like: pwned, ftw, ftl, roxxors, kthxbye, 37c., 37c., 37c.... If a post is completely inundated with indecipherable text, I will usually just ignore it... or make fun of it... depending on the mood. ;) kthxbye.

Don't know enough about it. I wouldn't be able to understand a lot of it... even the snippets that have been posted in the forums here. I guess, for the most part it doesn't bother me but, for me there would be a communication chasm created as result of my not understanding it. Deer in headlights.

I quoteth myself!

navarre said:
I do not care for the use of 'elite' speak at all, especially in game. Elite speak may have originally been a tool for the computer savvy to represent themselves in a higher social echelon of geekdom, but it has since devolved, in my opinion, into the 'gutterspeak' of the unintelligent and childish.

However, I don't really mind if people selectively use it in public forums and whatnot. In fact, from time to time, I can't resist the urge to use terms like: pwned, ftw, ftl, roxxors, kthxbye, 37c., 37c., 37c.... If a post is completely inundated with indecipherable text, I will usually just ignore it... or make fun of it... depending on the mood. ;) kthxbye.

Translated to leet/hacker for the English impared: :smiley:

1 D0 n07 k4r3 F0r 73h u23 0f 'L337' Sp34K @ 4Ll, 3sP3C14lLy 1N 94M3. L337 SP34K m4y H4V3 0R191n4lly 833N 4 700l F0r 73h 80X0r S4vVY 70 r3pR3s3n7 7H3mS3LV32 1n 4 H19H3R S0C14L 3Ch3l0n 0f 933KD0m, 8U7 17 H42 s1Nc3 D3V0LV3D, 1n my 0P1n10n, 1n70 73h '9U773rSP34k' 0F 73h un1N73ll193n7 4nD Ch1Ld1SH.

h0W3V3r, 1 d0'n7 r34LlY m1nD 1F P30Pl3 S3l3c71v3LY U23 17 1N pu8L1C f0RUM2 4nD WH47n07. 1N F4c7, FR0M 71m3 70 71M3, 1 k4'N7 r3S1s7 73h Ur93 70 u23 73RM2 l1K3: pWn3d, F7W, f7L, R0Xx0r2, k7HX8y3, 37c., 37c., 37C.... 1f 4 P0s7 12 K0MPl373Ly 1nUNd473d w17 1nD3c1PH3R48L3 73X7, 1 W1Ll Usu4LlY Jus7 19n0r3 17... 0r m4k3 fun 0f 17... D3P3ND1n' 0N 73h m00d. K7Hx8Y3.

:rolleyes2:Navarre, my eyes are permanently burned now. Thanks. :P

pwned, ftw, ftl, roxxors, kthxbye, 37c., 37c., 37c
I know what kthxbye means, and I think I know what pwned means, the others.... completely clueless. Maybe you have to be under a certain age to understand? Kinda like my partents have troubles playing DVDs (I mean, its hard to figure out how to press the 'play' button:rolleyes2: )

I don't like it simply because I don't understand it. And since most of the time it seems to be pointless drivel (given the contexts its used in) I don't feel the need to learn. And unless you're RPing in a modern or possibly post-modern world, it just doesn't fit the environment.

I am not a big fan of 'leetspeak', in game. I do pretty well ignoring it, especially on the general servers, however, I don't think there is any place in a public channel on a rp server. Private tells, private channels, that's fine as long as I don't have to deal with it.

I decided on a rp server for a few reasons. Generally, the populace is more mature which is one of my main reasons. Another big one is that generally, GM's frown on non-rping text like inappropriate names and leetspeak. It just takes me out of the game so fast to see a spam of letters/numbers that I have to decipher.

Evran said:
:rolleyes2:Navarre, my eyes are permanently burned now. Thanks. :P

I know what kthxbye means, and I think I know what pwned means, the others.... completely clueless. Maybe you have to be under a certain age to understand? Kinda like my partents have troubles playing DVDs (I mean, its hard to figure out how to press the 'play' button:rolleyes2: )

I don't like it simply because I don't understand it. And since most of the time it seems to be pointless drivel (given the contexts its used in) I don't feel the need to learn. And unless you're RPing in a modern or possibly post-modern world, it just doesn't fit the environment.

Here is a list of Internet Slang Phrases, in case you loose your way. ;)

1337-speak, was generated/created by script kiddies and warez distributors. True "white hat" hackers don't use 1337-speak to talk to others... "black hat crackers", what most of the world thinks of when using the term "hacker", are the ones who are too dumb to speak normal english, that and their followers: the script kiddies and warez mongers, and those kiddies that look up to them with blissful ignorance.

True geeks use:
Code:
netstat -n | grep ":80" | grep "ESTA" | awk '{print $5}' | \
awk -F ":" '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
or
PHP:
<? echo base64_decode('eW91IHJvY2sgbXkgc29ja3MgbWFuIQ=='); ?>

~ Jaraeth

im not a big fan of it. i can read it just fine, and if i want to take the time, make a response in it. but generally anymore, i just think it shows a persons intelligence level and/or age.

the current form of it was spread mostly by fps gamers who wanted a faster way to communicate on a keyboard. which i feel is a good enough reason for it, but in general conversation [including mmo's where someone can take the time to type out a reasonably well formed sentance], its just absurd.

I don't group with folks that talk in numbers....unless their a machine...and then it should only be 1s and 0s.....maybe 2s

I find that the new elite speak is to speak proper english.

Oh yeah. The attractive human females go wild when I use "you're" properly. ;)

Daax said:
Oh yeah. The chicks go wild when I use "you're" properly. ;)
:: ponders why Daax would be so interested in a bunch of cheeping baby chickens::

edit: silly auto-smilies and Daax control.

I'm not a fan of the use of leetspeak, or the use of broken english. It's not faser, or at least not by a notable degree, to make yourself sound like an idiot.

One of the biggest things I don't get is why people don't capitolize their names. It's not like it takes any more time, or like you attention is diverted at that stage of character creation. I mean, it's just ridiculous.

I don't like having to read through other people idiocy, so I don't like it when people do things like refuse to use at least some semblance of grammar, even when there is no action going on.

I don't like it in any game, but don't care about general Internet usage of it. I occasionally use it mockingly and can read it just fine, but that's about it.

'_'

Kuzzle said:
I'm not a fan of the use of leetspeak, or the use of broken english. It's not faser, or at least not by a notable degree, to make yourself sound like an idiot.

One of the biggest things I don't get is why people don't capitolize their names. It's not like it takes any more time, or like you attention is diverted at that stage of character creation. I mean, it's just ridiculous.

I don't like having to read through other people idiocy, so I don't like it when people do things like refuse to use at least some semblance of grammar, even when there is no action going on.

I've noticed that I can make myself sound like an idiot even with just normal talk. Astounding.

I really don't enjoy reading '1337speak'. On the other hand, if it makes it anymore blatant obvious as to the moron that is behind the computer screen, then I am all for it! You can't stop it, so why not just endorse it to help you filter out immature ignorant people?

I think this post is a great example showcasing the misconceptions and the utter evolution of what was once, to a lesser extent than now, a waste of time.
I don't mind seeing it in game because folks use short cuts to type. I guess the .03 seconds it takes to type a y and a o before the u is just too slow for some folks. Or the best they can muster. I can't really fault people like that.
There's worse handicaps out there.

Back