Your stance on 1337 speak?

I guess I always preferred that people speak intelligently (or type intelligently). I think the more people use the abbreviated and totally incomprehensible phrases on a computer the less they are able to socially interact outside of the computer. Not a good thing. It would be nice if they could stop that type of thing, but they won't be able to unfortunately.

Maybe I'm turning into my parents as I get older?

In Fps, i can understand that speach, when combat is fast paced, and there are sill chat filters, so you use numbers to work around that as well as shortform wards to speed chat up. But in MMOs, it irritates me, i pretty much ignore players who have numbers and symbols in their name, and players who start through a bunch of internet slang around in an attempt to make conversation.

I do not mind if people use common abbreviations, since they usually really help to speed up a typed conversation (which is a good deal slower than a spoken one).
Additionally, I can understand if somebody "plays around" with the language (e.g. by purposefully mispelling words or replaces letters with numbers) in an email to a friend. However, the internet being what it is, such jokes sometimes get out of control and survive long beyond their best-before-date. By now it 1337 is neither funny, nor new, nor original, it just smells badly and spams up conversation. For somebody like me (not being a native english speaker) 1337-speech makes it really rather hard to understand the sentences. 1337-speech, being just badly mistreated english without offering any benefits (such as faster typing or faster reading), thus has (imo) no right to exist anymore (other than to use it now and again to make fun of immature teens who still think, 1337 is cool).
In a fantasy-game an overextended internet-joke should not be allowed to appear.

P.S.: Of course, being a german, I also tend to mistreat the english-language now and again...

QuantumWire said:
... 1337-speech, being just badly mistreated english without offering any benefits (such as faster typing or faster reading), thus has (imo) no right to exist anymore (other than to use it now and again to make fun of immature teens who still think, 1337 is cool).
In a fantasy-game an overextended internet-joke should not be allowed to appear.

/signed

Most geeks I know of and work with use it only as a method to make fun of those who still use it religiously.

~ Jaraeth

As I've said, I don't mind if folks use it to quickly type if that's indeed in fact the case. Sometimes, it's not. Seems there's just slow typists out there, then they should stop typing and keep up in the game. As long as I don't have to yell at them to do something they're supposed to, I don't care if they say a damned thing.
But this goes the same for folks who like to try and type properly and take just as freaking long.
Oh and I can actually type quicker than what most people speak.

So now we've gone from 1337 speak to acronymns (sp)? If not I'm going to bring it up, what do you guys feel about acronymns? Saying wtf, wth, brb, etc. We use them constnatly when chatting, would it bother you to see them in Hero's Journey?

I'm a very non anal communicator so it wouldn't bother me one bit and I use them often. As long as I kind of sort of know what you are trying to say I don't care.

frostydf2 said:
So now we've gone from 1337 speak to acronymns (sp)? If not I'm going to bring it up, what do you guys feel about acronymns? Saying wtf, wth, brb, etc. We use them constnatly when chatting, would it bother you to see them in Hero's Journey?

It doesn't bother me. Saying something like "zomgwtfbbq!!!1!!two!" would...

However, I think the DAoC idea if incorporating a "/rpfilter" command would be ideal... those who don't like to see "bbl" "bbiab" "bbiaf" can change it:

/rpfilter bbiab "be back in a bit"

~ Jaraeth

Yeah, stuff like that doesn't really bother me. I mean, some things aren't things you'd normally type out. "Afk", for instance. Typing out "away from keyboard" just... I dunno, it just takes too long for if you need to do something quickly. Like, for instance, you need to rush and put some dishes/groceries/things you left out away. I mean, it doesn't actually take much longer, but... it just feels rigid and old-fashioned, ya know? Also, I think people only type stuff like "WTF" because of ridiculous language rules/annoying filters.

On a side note, I think all filters should be toggle-able.

I like language filters. I understand some pansy *ssed sons uv b*tch*s can't handle the fact that some folks swear while speaking. It's re-d*mn-tarded, but I also feel it's just as f**k*ng stupid to try and get around the filter with phonically altered spellings.
I consider some abb. emotes really now tho'. WTF, actually can show a wide range of emotion. In the middle of a serious grouping situation those letters can pause everyone for enough time to hammer out any problems that may be arising.
As long as people don't go out of their way to be illegible, then I can't really judge another person for doing their best.

Riceman said:
I tend to either ignore or politely talk to l33tspeakers. They outnumber us, after all....
I'm not sure about this one... I think they just appear to out number us because they spam their leetness every chance possible :rolleyes2:

meh, I'm on the fence about it. I would rahter people used proper English, just so I don't have to you know think, but it also depends on how it's used.

If people are acting like complete 'tards spewing out 1337 felgercarb, then yeah, it's a problem.
Also, i tend to have this little voice in my head (among many it seems...) and whenever I get this in my chat log "ne1 want 2 party wit me? PLZ? I wil pay u!" I alway get the sense of this on the other end of the keyboard:

cartman_retard.jpg

Back