Your Take on E.L.E. Movies...

painkiller64

Avoid A Void
I just watched again tonight Deep Impact www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647/

Although i have watched it many times, i still enjoy it immensely. For me, it is something to mull over in my mind about what could and possible would happen in a Extinction Level Event.

Just the same, i have watched Armageddon www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/
and

The Day After Tomorrow www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/ just as many times.

each one offers many insights into the curiosities of an event such as this.

I find it very thought provoking to see what can be done in film, TV, written form and animation. I have a theory that i am formulating in my head that as soon as i am done will either post it in my blogs or on a thread. (going to keep you all in suspense till then).

So my question to all that are interested is...What other movies, books, animations, so on and so forth can you come up with that are considered a E.L.E.

In film i have Deep Impact, Armageddon, The Day After Tomorrow, Resident Evil 1,2,3.

In books i cannot think of one at the moment, nor in animations. So this is my challenge for all of you to burn the midnight oil to find others.

I refer you to Exit Mundi

Some people collect postal stamps; Exit Mundi collects scenarios of what could go wrong with the world. Sure, our planet could get hit by an asteroid. But hey, that's nothing. Did you know we could all be munched away by hungry molecules? Or that our physicists could unintentionally wipe us all out while tinkering with particles? `Oops, sorry...'
Exit Mundi isn't in it for doom preaching, but strictly for fun. It's a fascinating thought: if that &*%#-comet didn't wipe out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, we wouldn't be here pondering about apocalypses and armageddons in the first place. The dinosaurs roamed our planet millions of years longer than we did. If it wasn't for the comet, they still would.
That's why this site is a tribute to floods, quantum explosions and awfully big chunks of space rock falling out of the sky. If there's a lesson to be learnt, it should be that within every end looms the dawn of a new beginning.
Sounds good, doesn't it?

The Core? They had to take nukes to the centre of the Earth to 'restart' the core again?

That horrible stephen Baldwin film recently where he welded the moon together to stop it falling apart and destroying the Earth?

Meteor (Sean Connery)

Don't forget Planet of the Apes, wherein during the last movie our hero pushes the doomsday button.

I feel that the E.L.E. movies, rather than being fiction are merely projections of possible futures, any of which could come true. We know statistically that some day a rather large asteroid is going to hit the Earth again. Will our technology be good enough to avert the disaster? Who knows?

A deeper question is rather" Is humanity in its present form, worth saving? " or "Is humanity worth saving from itself? Or is it even possible?" Well, at least we have Arnold Terminator on this side of the timeline....

thanks skwirl, i saved it to my favs. will read it tonight.

there are two books i read that stick with me about these events. the first one is 'down to a sunless sea'.. even though we create our own extinction through nuke warfare it is still a powerful book. the other one....the name escapes me at the moment....is about about a man that thinks he is alone in the world, where people were wiped out by a virus because of population explosion and how he and other survivors created a new life while witnessing how other species died out the same way when one resource or food supply was extinguished. i wish i could remember the name of it. the main character in the book his name starts with a J, thats all i remember of that.

the Andromeda Strain is another movie with the same pretense... i love the original and look forward to watching the mini-series when i can.

V there is another scenario. us being wiped out by aliens as food. i remember a similar twilight zone of the same pretense, also the outer limits and then an episode on the masters of science fiction.

here is one for us oldies who love movies..When Worlds Collide. still love that movie and book and sequel book After Worlds Collide.

Can anyone remember any B-movies from the 50's that fit the same E.L.E. scenario?

Back