You're Joking, Right?

Great last couple of chapters! I love it. I can't wait to see how he digs the whole deeper. And, I can't wait to see if Syd falls for him..that would be interesting.

Chapter 8
After leaving Sydney’s apartment, Michael realized two facts. First, he was in major trouble, perhaps the biggest trouble he had ever been in during his usually ‘follow the rulebook’ life. Secondly, he hated Eric. True, his unfortunate situation wasn’t entirely Eric’s fault, but the bet was Eric’s fault, and the bet was what had brought him into the insane mess that was his life.

He had absolutely no idea what to do. He knew that telling the truth to Sydney would mean losing her forever, and he didn’t want that, not at all. He liked Sydney, a lot, probably more than he had liked any women he went on a date with in the past year combined. Losing her was not an option. Unfortunately, for the time being, the only way he could see to not to lose her was by keeping up his ‘gay but not gay’ façade. Though even with that, he was still screwed.

The longer he kept it up, the more likely Sydney would be to kill him when she found out the truth, and she would find out, that was unavoidable. It was only a matter of time. For the time being though, he decided to keep up his façade, knowing that he was digging himself deeper into a hole with every passing day. But what was he to do? He could have written on the note to Sydney, that he left by her bedside, P.S. I’m not gay!, but somehow, he figured that wouldn’t have been well received. In reality, the note simply stated that he didn’t want to wake her and that he’d call her later on in the week; that was all. Beside the ‘I’m not gay’ subject was best discussed in person, even if he did wish to be in a different state for fear of her violent reaction.

He was definitely in a lose-lose situation though, and he hated it.

~*~

In the middle of the week, Sydney called Michael and, surprisingly (to both of them) they talked for almost three hours. She started out the conversation by listing all the things she hated about her sister combined with the reasons why she was glad Nadia was gone (many of those reasons being the same thing). Then, they moved on to Michael’s medical school years before discussing Sydney’s school years, which led to discussing her ex-boyfriend. After that, they talked about random things until they both decided that they should hang up.

Once his phone was lying beside him on the coffee table, Michael stared at it for a solid ten minutes, reviewing their conversation in his mind with an immense grin on his face. It was the best phone conversation he had ever had, or so he thought, until their next phone conversation two days later.

After that, they started calling each other three or four times a week and talking for no less than an hour each time. Michael loved their calls, but wished that they could be together in the same room, though their busy schedules didn’t allow it.

Finally, Saturday - a month after they met in the bar - Sydney invited Michael over to her apartment where she insisted on showing him the art that was her favorite pastime, knitting. Michael was skeptical of his ability to knit (not to mention he wasn’t overly thrilled at the idea of trying), but he wanted to see Sydney’s smile again, so he went.

“Ok, so now you take th- MICHAEL”! Sydney burst out laughing when she saw Michael had shoved the ends of his knitting needles inside his lips making the ‘overly long walrus tusks’ effect. “You look retarded; stop that,” she laughed while yanking the needles from his mouth.

“Sorry,” he grinned.

“Come onnnn,” she whined. “You’re not being serious.”

“I’m sorry, you’re right, knitting is very serious,” he said with a stone face as he picked up his needles properly.

“Right. So, now you take the yarn and you tie it onto the one needle, like this,” she said before demonstrating for him. “Then you make twenty of these little loops onto your needle,” she said, demonstrating as she spoke.

“What exactly are we making?” he asked while struggling with his yarn.

“A scarf,” she told him.

“OOOO!! A scarf!” he said in an over-excited tone.

Sydney’s expression turned serious, “If you’re going to mock it, I won’t teach you.”

“I’m sorry,” he said seriously. “I’m done now.”

“Good,” she smiled. Then, she proceeded to show him the proper way to make stitches with the knitting needles. Michael struggled greatly with it, but on the third attempt, he managed to make one stitch.

“So, um, what’s the deal with the knitting thing? I mean, how’d you get started on it?” he asked.

“Well… I dunno. It’s a family thing I guess. My gramma taught my mother… and then my mother taught us when we were like seven or eight. Of course, Nadia took no interest in it whatsoever, but I always wanted to be like my mom and I just kept doing it and it became fun, I dunno,” she shrugged.

“That sounds nice,” Michael smiled at her. “Did you have like little knitting parties?”

“No,” she laughed. “I made a sweater… but when I wore it to school I got laughed at,” she said sadly.

“Aww,” he said sadly. “I wouldn’t have laughed at you, I promise.”

“Thanks,” she smiled softly at him.

“What do you do with the stuff you knit?” he asked her.

She shrugged. “Christmas and birthday presents, mostly… That blanket on my bed took so long though. I just finished it recently actually… I’m not sure what I’m going to make now.”

“Wow, that’s really impressive. I can’t believe you made that blanket, that’s awesome,” he told her.

“Thanks,” she blushed slightly and looked down at the needles in her hand.

“Okay, I suck,” Michael announced as he held up his pathetically crooked knitting creation with very large holes in it.

Sydney had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. “It’s really… it’s good for your first try.”

“Yeah, sure,” he rolled his eyes and tossed his knitting down on the couch beside him. “Face it, guys were not meant to be knitters. We don’t have highly refined fine motor skills…. Well, some of us do; not me.”

“You don’t, huh?” she smiled.

“No, I don’t. That’s why I didn’t become a surgeon. I would have been removing stomachs instead of kidneys or something,” he told her.

She laughed loudly. “I’m sure you wouldn’t have.”

“Well, maybe not that, but I would have cut stuff I wasn’t supposed to, that’s for sure,” he said seriously.

“Aw well, I’m sure you’re a fantastic pediatrician. If I had kids, I’d bring them to you,” she told him with a smile.

He smiled back at her. “Thanks.”

“So… knitting isn’t going to be your new pastime, hmm?” Sydney laughed softly while picking up his pathetic creation.

“No, sorry,” he said with a slight cringe.

“Don’t worry about it,” she waved her hand casually. “You wanna do something else instead?”

“Um… whatever. If you want to keep knitting, I’m perfectly content to sit here and watch in amazement,” he smiled at her.

“Yeah right,” she laughed, looking down at the knitting she was working on.

“I’m serious! Look at this, you have like ten inches in the time it took me to make one distorted messed up inch,” he exclaimed.

“Well, I’m a pro,” she smiled her voice clearly indicating that she was teasing him.

“Oh yes, pro knitting now there’s an up and coming sport,” he grinned. She laughed loudly. “Knit-Olympics.”

“Shut up,” she elbowed him gently.

“I’m done,” he assured her.

“Uh huh… so, you don’t like movies… you don’t like knitting… boy, we don’t have much to do when we hang out… except talking,” she laughed softly.

“Hey, I like our talks,” he told her very seriously.

“So do I,” she smiled. “We should keep talking.”

He smiled and assured her, “I had absolutely no plans to stop.”

counting down how many chaps till she finds out.. what's that like 6, 7?
teehee, the kniting :lol: guys don't do knitting!

Aww they're so sweet ^_^

I think michael should just kiss her - and it she is like :confused: i thought you were gay, he can jsut say he fell in love with her and she changed his mind :D

Sydney assumes that if Michael is gay, then he must like only female activities. Why doesn't she ask him what he likes to do? I think she'll be surprised to discover that Michael is more 'male' than 'female.'

Chris

Oh Lord, he is gonna be in trouble when he finally tells her. They are so cute together though, even with his gay facade.
Great update

This is making me laugh so hard! It gets worse, in the good way :lol: , after that it will be hard to say he isn't gay :P . He is acting like one, so good luck Vaughn :whistle:

I just can't take the image of Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn (I mean SYDNEY and VAUGHN!) knitting. If that ever had happenend on the show I'd laugh for years.

Great chapter. I like that they like their talks.

Back