You're Joking, Right?

okay so here's the deal
i know a bunch of you have been reading at Random Fans -i've been posting my updates there while AA was down -i'm also now posting again at Allies
in the mean time, i'm going to post two chaps today and two chaps tomorrow here to get all caught up - during that time there won't be any new chaps at allies or RF - i'll wait until they're all in sync again before i continue

Chapter 10
The next morning, Sydney awoke wishing for death. She stumbled her way to the bathroom, barely remembering that she was at Michael’s place.

Upon seeing Sydney stumble into the kitchen, her hair an utter wreck, with black streaks surrounding her eyes where her makeup had run, he had to fight to keep a straight face. “Morning,” he managed.

“Shh loud,” she croaked. Then she took the cup of coffee he held out to her and cut him off before he could speak, “No talking.”

Michael gave her a thumbs up before backing away from her slowly. He showered quickly and when he returned she had her head resting on his kitchen table, empty coffee cup clutched in her hand. “You awake?” She gave a pathetic half-whine, half-groan and he laughed softly. “Poor thing. You want an Advil?”

“Found ‘em… took two,” she moaned. “Shoot me.”

“Sorry,” he said. He then sat down beside her and she lifted her head up slowly. “I take it you’re not much of a drinker.”

“No, I can’t really handle hard liquor… as evident by last night,” she sighed and covered her face with her hands. “Oh god… last night…”

“Yeah,” Michael cringed, not sure how much she’d remember.

She spread her fingers and peered through them to look at him with one eye. “Did I ask you to have sex with me?” she asked timidly. He cringed slightly and looked away. “Oh god,” she groaned and covered her face again, sounding horrified. “I am so, so, so, so very, very sorry.”

“Syd, it’s okay; you were wasted,” he told her.

“But I’m so mortified!” she whimpered. “I’ll just leave and you can forget I existed.”

“Syd, no,” he said as he reached out and took one of her hands gently. “Syd, it’s fine. No big deal, don’t worry about it.”

“But I’m such an ass! I ruined your birthday party!”

“You most certainly did not and don’t even think that,” he assured her. “I was just worried about you?”

“Yeah well,” she muttered and looked down at the table in front of her. “After the third guy asked me ‘your place or mine,’” she said in a macho tone, “I was at the end of my rope.”

“Clearly. I’m sorry my friends are assholes,” he told her.

“Nah, it’s okay… it was partly my fault. I mean, I thought most of them would be gay,” she told him seriously. Michael gulped and gave her a noncommittal shrug while breaking out into a cold sweat. “Anyway, I’m really, really sorry about the sex thing,” she cringed.

“Syd, its fine. No need to apologize,” he assured her.

She leaned over and kissed his cheek gently while standing up from the table. “Thanks for being a great friend… I’m gonna go. I’ll talk to you later – oh and thanks for letting me stay!” she called as she collected her shoes, purse and coat from the other room.

As soon as Michael heard his apartment door slam shut, he banged his head down onto the table and whimpered. He hated himself. He hated the fact that he was such an idiot and he couldn’t just tell her the truth. He hated the fact that her kiss made his cheek tingle. But mostly, he hated that he was falling for her and he couldn’t stop it.

~*~

A few days later, Sydney insisted on inviting Michael over for dinner as another apology for her behavior at his party. Though Michael assured her it wasn’t necessary, he agreed to come. He was pleasantly surprised to find that Sydney was actually a very good cook.

After eating, they were relaxing on Sydney’s couch while she worked on some of her knitting with her legs tucked up underneath her. The two of them were chatting about work that day, when Michael noticed something strange on one of her socks. “Hey… what’s on your sock?” he asked, changing the course of their conversation dramatically.

“Nothing,” she said quickly. Too quickly, as she tucked her foot beneath her.

“Yes there was. There was something written on there… Mrs. Something I think. What’s it say?” he asked. She ignored him. Seeing a piece of her sock sticking out from beside her leg, he grabbed for it and she squealed, trying to get away from him. Unfortunately, Michael had a firm grip on the sock, so in the process of her squirming, he managed to pull the sock off. “MRS. BLOOM?!” he burst out laughing and rolled back onto the couch in hysterics.

“Gimmie that,” Sydney said, turning pink as she groped for her sock. She managed to yank it away from him and put it back on her foot. “They were a gift… from my sister,” she said timidly.

“Suuuuure,” he laughed. She turned a deeper shade of pink. “Bloom… like Orlando Bloom?” Sydney nodded slightly and Michael laughed harder.

“So, I have a little crush… so what,” she said casually. He continued to laugh. “Oh come on, tell me he’s not cute?!”

“I never said he was ugly, I was laughing at the sock,” he assured her.

“Shut up,” she muttered to him. He grinned at her. “Alright fine, Mr. ‘I never talk about my romantic life,’ what celebs do you have a crush on?”

“Um,” he began cautiously. “I don’t really have any crushes on celebs at the moment… well, at least not enough to wear their name plastered across my sock.”

She laughed softly. “Okay then… describe your perfect mate then. What would he look like?”

“Oh, I don’t know…,” Michael grumbled as he shifted somewhat uncomfortably in his seat. “You tell me yours, then I’ll tell you mine.”

“Okay,” she smiled. She then shifted on the sofa so that she was facing him before beginning to list. “Well… light colored eyes – not brown. They’d have to be green or blue… and a square jaw, maybe with a cleft chin… sandy colored hair… just a little over six feet tall…”

As she was listing, Michael grew more and more anxious, along with a healthy dose of panic. He looked over slowly at her and saw she was grinning. When they locked eyes, she burst out laughing. “That was mean. You need to be serious,” he told her while taking a deep breath to calm his heart rate.

“Sorry,” she laughed. “But I was serious with some stuff like the light colored eyes and square jaw. Hmm, what else… oh, he’d definitely have to make me laugh… and he’d have to be sweet. And I like guys who are a little sensitive, not all macho and felgercarb… huh, it still sounds like you,” she laughed.

Seeing that as an opportunity, Michael opened his mouth but before he could even utter a syllable, Sydney continued, “But it doesn’t really matter. I mean, I’m really into my not dating thing right now. Who needs men, right?” she asked him with a playful little smack to his arm.

“Right,” he said weakly, trying to regain the motivation to continue living.

“Now, it’s your turn, mister,” she grinned and poked his shoulder lightly.

“Okay,” he sighed. Then he very carefully chose his words as he spoke, “Well… kindness is key. Sweet, definitely… oh, um, not really career driven. I mean, I’m really career driven and work obsessed, so someone else like that would drive me literally insane… I don’t really know about the physical stuff, it doesn’t really matter to me… well, obviously someone who doesn’t weigh five hundred pounds but…”

“Right,” she laughed. “Sounds good.”

“Yep,” he sighed, relieved he managed to get through that without mentioning a gender.

“What about kids? Do you want kids?” she asked.

He nodded. “Definitely. Being a pediatrician, I can’t really imagine my life without them – especially kids of my own.”

“Oh,” she said sadly. “That must be hard… I mean, could you have kids of your own?... Maybe if you found a woman who would… you know, give you her eggs or something,” she answered her own thought.

“Yeah… you know, I guess I hadn’t really thought about that,” he laughed slightly.

“Ah well, I’m sure it will happen for you. You’d be a great Dad,” she said, patting his shoulder softly.

“Thanks,” he smiled at her. “What about you? You want kids?”

“Oh yeah!” she said enthusiastically. “I want ‘em now. I want to steal every baby I see.”

He laughed. “Probably shouldn’t do that.”

“No,” she cringed. “So… you’re going to your parents for Thanksgiving slash your birthday, right?” she asked, changing the subject.

“Yep, a nice, long two hour drive. Yippee,” he said sarcastically. “But it will probably be the last time I see them this year so…”

“Why?” she asked.

“Oh well, they just informed me they’re going on a cruise for Christmas and New Year’s so,” he shrugged.

“You’ll be alone for Christmas?” Sydney asked sadly. He nodded. “You can’t! Come to my mom’s with me.”

“Oh Syd, I could-”

“Nope; you’re coming,” she interrupted, not letting him protest.

“You’re sure?” he asked.

“Totally sure. Besides, you can be my buffer against Nadia that way,” she smiled hopefully.

“Thanks, Syd, I’d love to come,” he told her.

“Great!” she beamed and hugged him.

Chapter 11
Not wanting to interfere with the Bristow’s Christmas too much, Michael told Sydney that he wouldn’t spend the night Christmas Eve like she had invited him too. He was simply going to come at one for lunch, that way the three Bristow women could have their morning present opening routine undisturbed by him. He arrived at twelve fifty bearing a plant for Sydney’s mother, candy for her sister and a tiny wrapped present for Sydney. He rang the doorbell with one free finger and then waited patiently.

A moment later Sydney opened the door, huge grin across her face, but instead of pulling him in the house, she pushed him further back out onto the porch. “Okay…” he said slowly.

“Sorry, I forgot to tell you,” she said in a quiet voice. “My mom doesn’t know you’re gay and don’t tell her, okay? She doesn’t really like gay people.”

“What?!” he hissed quietly.

“I’m SO sorry,” Sydney cringed. “But… she’s just one of those people who stereotype gay people as flamboyant and diseased. My ‘he’s more like Will from Will & Grace’ argument doesn’t really work with her. After she knows you she’ll be fine, just uh, don’t mention it, okay?”

“Uh huh,” he nodded, wondering what her mother would think of a non-gay man pretending to be gay because he was too much of a moron to tell the truth.

“Okay great! And merry Christmas!” she said happily as she pulled him inside. “Oh, um, Nadia’s flight was delayed so she should be here soon.”

“Oh good,” he said. Then, he smiled at the approaching woman.

“You must be Michael; it’s wonderful to finally meet you. Sydney’s only said the best things about you,” she said to him.

“Oh well… thanks, it’s nice to meet you Mrs. Bristow,” he smiled at her.

“Oh,” Sydney cringed. “It’s Derevko, she went back to her maiden name. That’s totally my fault, I forgot to tell you.”

“Thanks,” Michael said to her with a ‘what else didn’t you tell me’ glare.

“It’s fine, you can just call me Irina,” Irina said with a casual wave of her hand. “Come, have a seat.”

“Thanks… oh, here, I brought you this. Merry Christmas,” he said, holding out the bag with the plant to her.

“Oh. aren’t you a sweetheart, thank you so much,” she smiled and took the bag. They were barely seated when the front door burst open and Nadia rushed inside.

“Hi, sorry I’m late, stupid snow,” she grumbled. “I was- oh, Michael, I didn’t know you were coming…”

“I told you I invited him,” Sydney told her with a slight eye roll. Nadia shrugged, set her luggage down and gave her mother a hug.

“I’m going to go change out of this getup, be back in a few,” Nadia said while tugging at her flight attendant’s uniform. Then she grabbed her bag and disappeared up the stairs.

“I’m going to get lunch out,” Irina said.

“You need help?” Sydney asked.

“NO, I’m fine. Stay here and talk to Michael,” Irina told her.

Sydney nodded and waited until her mother left before turning to Michael and asking, “Do you know why Eric told me to schedule my yearly appointment with you as soon as possible?”

“What?!” Michael asked, totally confused.

“Yeah, um, the other day I ran into him at the mall and I just stopped and said hi, you know the usual small talk, but as I was leaving he said ‘don’t forget to schedule your yearly appointment with Mike early so you get in’. Then he walked away,” she explained.

For a moment, Michael thought silently with a furrowed brow, trying to determine what exactly his insane friend was saying, and then it hit him. “Oh,” he sighed helplessly. “Eric thinks I’m a gynecologist.”

“What?!” Sydney laughed.

“Yeah…”

“But… pediatrician and gynecologist are nothing alike,” she said.

“I know,” he groaned. “But he thinks a pediatrician is an obstetrician which translates into gynecologist in his abnormal mind.”

“Wow,” Sydney said in utter disbelief. “I don’t know whether I should be more disturbed about Eric’s concern for my gynecological heath, or by the fact that he thinks that a baby doctor is… that,” she cringed.

“Welcome to my world,” Michael said very seriously. Then they both burst out laughing.

After that, they went into the kitchen to help Irina bring out the food she had made. As it turned out, she had prepared enough for a small army, so there was far too much to choose from. “This is all delicious, Irina,” Michael said after he had taken a bit of every different food item on his plate.

“Thank you, Michael,” she smiled at him. “So, Sydney tells me that you’re a pediatrician?”

“Yes,” he confirmed with a nod.

“That must be a wonderful profession,” she said.

“Oh yes, I love it. Definitely,” he nodded.

“And… you’re not married?” she asked with a grin.

“Moooom,” Sydney groaned loudly while giving her a deadly glare.

“Sorry, I take it back,” she raised a hand in defeat.

“Of course he’s no- OUCH!” Nadia screamed after there was a loud bump underneath the table, clearly an indication that Sydney had kicked her sister to silence her. Sydney smiled innocently at her mother, who was giving her an incredibly suspicious look. “Anyway,” Nadia cleared her throat. “Where are your parents, Michael?”

“Cruise to the Bahamas,” he told her.

“How nice of them to leave you behind,” Nadia laughed softly.

“It’s okay, I had to work… plus I sunburn easily,” he shrugged with a slight laugh.

“Uh huh,” Nadia nodded.

“So how did you two meet again, I forget?” Irina asked her daughter and Michael.

“Oh well-”

“We met at the grocery store,” Sydney cut him off quickly. “We started talking and… I invited him to Stars on Ice, remember?”

“Ohhh yes,” Irina nodded.

“Stars on Ice,” Nadia snorted with laughter.

“Shut up,” Sydney glared at her.

“I love Stars on Ice. What did you think of it, Michael?” Irina asked.

“Oh, um, it was nice. I don’t know if I’d be excited to go to another one,” he admitted honestly with a slight laugh.

“So, you wanted to shoot yourself,” Nadia smirked.

“Shut up, he didn’t say that,” Sydney snapped at her sister.

“No, it wasn’t that bad,” Michael assured everyone.

After that, they fell into relative silence while they all finished their meals. Their conversation didn’t pick up again until dessert, when Sydney asked her sister, “What’s with you? You’re being twitchy.”

“I’m not twitchy,” she said in a tone that made it obvious she was hiding something. Everyone looked at her curiously. She sighed in defeat and flopped back in her chair. “Fine, okay, fine. I’m pregnant.”

“What?!” Sydney and Irina gasped loudly in horror. Meanwhile, Michael shrank back in his seat, dreading the impending fight between the family members.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m pregnant,” she said quietly.

“Dare I ask who the father is?” Irina asked in a very disapproving tone.

Nadia shrugged. “Some pilot guy.”

“SOME PILOT GUY?!” Sydney and Irina screeched together. “Nadia, honestly, I thought you had more sense than that,” her mother shook her head.

“Sorry,” she said quietly.

“What are you going to do?” Sydney asked her.

“I dunno… I’m barely a month along, so I have some time to decide…,” Nadia said cautiously.

“You will not have an abortion, young lady,” her mother said in a very scolding tone.

“I know that,” Nadia grumbled.

“Did you tell the father?” Sydney asked.

“No,” Nadia said quietly. “Whatever, it’s no big deal.”

“It most certainly is! But we’ll talk about this later. I’m terribly sorry, Michael,” Irina said to him.

“It’s fine,” he assured her with a smile. After that, no one spoke very much.

~*~

“I’m sorry about that insanity. My sister,” Sydney sighed in a helpless tone as she walked Michael out to his car.

“It’s fine really. I just hope she’s ok,” Michael said.

“Oh don’t worry, my mom won’t kill her,” Sydney told him with a slight smile.

Michael laughed softly. “Thanks again for inviting me, Syd. I had a great time.”

“Well, you’re welcome…and thanks for coming. Drive safe and I’ll call you, okay?” she said. He nodded and she leaned up and kissed his cheek before waving goodbye as he got into his car and drove off.

HA drunk Syd is funny!!!! :lol: See Syd told him some stuff when she was drunk...maybe that's how Vaughn should tell Syd he's not gay....just get drunk!!!! :angelic:
-I'm glad Vaughn got to spend Christmas with her!!!!
And I can't believe Nadia's pregnant...can't wait to see how that goes!!
-Great updates!! Loved 'em!!

We can all guess that when Sydney was drunk and she asked Michael to have sex with her, she really wanted him to have sex with her. Her drunken state allowed her true feelings to come out.

When Nadia announced she was pregnant, I was fully expecting her to blurt out, "Well! Michael is gay." It's only a matter of time before the truth come out and all h*ll breaks loose.

Chris

Lol.
Anyways... yeah, its NINE Pm, and I'm still sitting here... alone... *cwy*

Naw, I'm all good in the hood.

But yeah... I thought it might of just been me who got that little notice, I wasn't too sure, but now I'm all good. :smiley:

-Old granny... D chord :beret: 🤠 :Pirate2:

nadia does know how to deliver shocking news :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , it was hilarious syd and irina´s reactions :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

i can´t wait for more :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: ,

Nanda

i'm actually rather surprised nadia didn't get shot on site. and irina is sounding a bit like jack in this fic. :P it's really interesting. i hope michael works up the guts pretty quick...this is getting semi-rediculous.
Aliaschick347

Lol rough count, how many chaps till she does? :angelic:

Aly..x
she finds out in chapter 20 :lol:
but someone else finds out sooner :angelic:

Chapter 12
Two days after Christmas, Michael received a voice mail message from Sydney that sounded rather frantic, or, at the very least, stressed. So he called her back as soon as he could, but he ended up getting her voice mail. They played phone tag with three more messages before finally being able to contact each other properly.

“Ohh my god. So, my boss is having this huge New Year’s Eve party and it’s like a big deal and he invited me and he told me to bring a date but I don’t have a date so would you please, please, please come with me? I’d totally be your best friend for ever and ever and ever,” Sydney said in one long breath that made Michael laugh.

“Sure I’ll come…I had no plans,” he told her.

“REALLY?! You’ll come? Really!?” she asked excitedly.

“Yes, really,” he told her.

“OH THANK YOU!” she exclaimed.

“Jeez Syd, take it down a notch,” he told her in a teasing manner.

“Oh… I’m sorry, I just… well, if my boss likes me enough to invite me to this party he might like me enough to promote me which would be awesome,” she explained.

“Ah, say no more. I’ll definitely go. Hey, I’ll even pretend to be your incredibly wealthy, doctor boyfriend if that’ll help you out,” he told her. Then he cursed himself the moment the words left his mouth.

“Serious?! Because I totally think it would!” she exclaimed.

“Sure,” he said rather weakly.

“GREAT! Oh my god, thank you sooooo much!! So, the party’s on the thirty first, obviously and um, it starts at nine,” she told him.

“Okay, sounds good,” he told her.

“Great, I’ll talk to you later! Thanks again!” she said before hanging up. Michael hung up as well, but he did so by bashing his phone into his forehead. He was a moron. Pretending to be Sydney’s boyfriend? Yeah that would help his ‘hopelessly hopeless and getting more hopeless by the second’ situation. He was simply doomed, but he had already accepted that. So in the mean time, he was just going to have a nice time at the party, or as nice a time as possible.

~*~

“Ohhh, you look so nice!” Sydney squealed when Michael opened his apartment door dressed in a dark blue button down shirt and khakis.

“You look wonderful,” he told her.

“Oh,” Sydney laughed softly as she looked down at her sparkly dress. “It’s not too much?”

“No, I like that whole ‘hey look, you can see me from space I glitter so much’ look,” he grinned.

She smacked him with her clutch purse. “Thanks Romeo. You’re already the best boyfriend ever.”

“Well, I try,” he smiled. “So anything I should know?”

“Um, my boss hates organized sports of any kind. He thinks they’re barbaric. Um, he went to Harvard…”

“Wait, why the hell is he here in nowheresville if he went to Harvard?” Michael asked.

“He was born and raised her and came back when his mother got sick. That’s the other thing – he’s a mama’s boy,” she told him with a slight laugh.

“Wonderful,” Michael rolled his eyes. “Is he married?” Sydney let out a loud, barkish laugh, which was an obvious ‘no’ indicator. “So, why the hell is he having this party?”

“To become ‘closer’ to his employees,” she mocked with air quotes. “How the hell should I know? I just know it’s a big deal and I’m goin’.”

“Sounds good to me,” he laughed. “So… about this whole ‘I’m your boyfriend’ thing,” he cringed slightly.

“Oh um… you can just, you know, hold my hand, put your arm around my shoulders or something… Don’t feel obligated to-”

“Lick you?” he suggested with a laugh.

“Yeah, that,” she laughed.

“Alright, sounds good, let’s go,” Michael said. Sydney grabbed his hand and then pulled down the hall towards the elevator.

The whole ride to Sydney’s boss’ home Michael took deep calming breaths, trying to ready himself for the task of being Sydney’s boyfriend. He decided that this was a prime opportunity for him to act exactly as he wanted to act: hugging Sydney around the waist, kissing her forehead every now and then, and giving her loving stares. Sadistic? Yes. But he wasn’t going to waste a golden opportunity when presented to him. He only had to make sure he kept himself in check so he didn’t go too overboard.

“This is it,” Sydney announced when she pulled up in front of the bi-level home that already had many cars parked in front of it. Sydney was forced to drive around the block once before she found a parking spot that she had to painfully parallel park into.

“Freezing,” Sydney shivered and hugged herself tightly as they walked towards her boss’ house.

“Well, it’s the middle of winter,” Michael laughed softly and put an arm around her, rubbing her back vigorously.

“Thanks,” she mumbled. Then, she grabbed his hand and they walked into the warm atmosphere of her boss’ house. Immediately inside the door they were greeted by her boss. Michael had to fight to keep a straight face when he saw her overly nerdy boss for the first time. “Mr. Branson this is my boyfriend, Dr. Michael Vaughn,” Sydney said with emphasis on the ‘Doctor’ part.

“Doctor, eh? What kind of doctor?” Mr. Branson asked him.

“Pediatrician,” Michael told him with a smile.

“Ah,” he nodded. “Well, have fun! Par-tay!” he said with a very lame attempt at a dance. Sydney bit her lip and pulled Michael away quickly and into the next room, where upon they burst out with laughter.

“Oh my god,” Michael managed.

“I know!” Sydney exclaimed.

“See… now that’s just plain sad,” he shook his head while looking at Mr. Branson’s dancing in the next room.

“I know, it really is,” she told him. “Come on, let’s get a drink.”

“Are you sure that’s safe?” Michael asked with a teasing smile. She rolled her eyes at him and pulled him towards the kitchen where snacks and drinks were laid out on the kitchen counter.

After grabbing sodas, they made their way back through the crowds of people as Sydney waved and smiled at some of her colleagues. “So… what are we gonna do exactly?” Michael asked with a slight laugh.

Sydney shrugged. “I dunno… I never know what to do at these types of parties. I mean, there are like two and a half hours until midnight…”

“Yeah… well you could always go dance with your boss,” Michael managed with a straight face as he gestured towards the man, who appeared to be doing the Macarena.

“Not. Funny,” Sydney said sharply while glaring at him slightly. He grinned. “I’ll dance with you though,” she smiled up at him.

“Um, no see, I don’t really dance… because I don’t want to look like him,” he said with a subtle head nod.

“You cannot possibly be that bad,” she told him.

“You don’t want to test that theory,” he cringed. Ignoring his protests, she pulled him out of the corner they had tucked themselves into and out onto the ‘dance floor’ area. She tried to get him to dance, but he refused to move, and when he did it was in a stiff, jerky fashion.

“Oh my god, you suck!” she laughed loudly.

“Jesus thanks, Syd. At least you were gentle about it!” he grumbled.

“I’m sorry…. I guess you just weren’t one of those people blessed with rhythm,” she told him.

“No, I was not. Now if you don’t mind I’m going to go sulk back in the corner,” he grumbled.

“Aww no, no!! I’m sorry, I’m really sorry,” she said. She caught him around the waist from behind as he went to walk away and continued to apologize while he walked, dragging her along with him.

“Jeez Syd,” he laughed.

“I’m sorry,” she repeated again with a pouty lip.

“I know,” he smiled. She smacked him softly and he winced.

For the rest of the evening, they mingled and chatted with Sydney’s colleagues until it was nearly midnight when they all gathered around the large TV to watch the count down in Times Square. Michael stood behind Sydney and, feeling bold, he snaked his arms around her waist. Much to his surprise (and happiness) she tilted her head back and smiled up at him before leaning back against his chest, nestling her head in his neck.

Michael took a deep breath and savored what he thought might have been a once in a lifetime moment, holding Sydney in his arms. The crowd counted down loudly from ten to one, finally shouting “Happy New year!” and kissing the person nearest to them.

Sydney spun around in Michael’s arms so that his hands were clasped at the small of her back and she smiled up at him. “Happy New Year.” Before Michael could utter a word, Sydney gently rested her hands at his waist, leaned up and kissed his lips softly. Then, while he was still too stunned to react, she hugged him tightly without a word. Michael just stood there, grin plastered across his face, loving every minute of it.

Chapter 13
A few days after New Year’s, Sydney was sitting at home on her couch with her sister, who was munching on a box of crackers, as her morning sickness had kicked in. Sydney sat with her feet tucked underneath her, chewing on her thumbnail as she had been doing for almost an hour. The only scene playing through her mind was the events that happened at midnight a few days prior. “I think I have a problem,” she said finally.

“YOU have a problem?” Nadia gasped.

“Well… yeah, but this is a big problem,” Sydney moaned.

Nadia looked down at her stomach, then back up at her sister, “HELLO!!!”

“Okay, okay, a different kind of problem,” Sydney said.

“Tell me after I puke,” Nadia moaned and slid off the sofa, stumbling to the bathroom. A few minutes later, she returned looking slightly paler than before. “So, what’s your problem?”

“I have a crush on my gay best friend,” Sydney moaned and flopped face first down into the sofa.

“Well, I coulda told ya that,” Nadia sighed, trying to pull her sister back up into a sitting position. “Did you just figure this out?”

“Yes,” Sydney whimpered. “It’s so bad Nadia!!!”

“How bad is bad? Did you have a sex dream about him?” Nadia asked her.

“What?!” Sydney screeched. “NO!”

“What happened then?”

“I kissed him at midnight on New Year’s Eve,” she whimpered.

“YOU DIDN’T!” Nadia gasped.

Sydney nodded sheepishly. “Well, he said he’d pretend to be my boyfriend to impress my boss… and he was holding me and… I dunno, I lost my mind and I just kissed him!! He seemed okay with it but, ohhhh god I liked the kiss,” she whined. Nadia smirked at her. “Would you stop it,” Sydney grumbled.

“No, this is helping my morning sickness,” Nadia smiled. Sydney rolled her eyes slightly. “Okay, so it’s a crush, no big deal. I mean, Michael’s a good looking guy, it’s perfectly normal to be attracted to him especially in the horny state you’re in…”

“Horny state!” Sydney gasped.

“Uh, yeah, horny state since you’re on this no dating kick. You need to go out and get some,” Nadia told her seriously.

“Um, no,” Sydney said seriously. “I’ll be fine… I just need to… not be close to Michael for a bit. You know, I won’t hug him or anything and I’ll be fine. Besides, he’s gay. He’s gay, GAY!” she repeated, more forcefully each time.

“Just keep telling yourself that, Honey,” Nadia sighed casually.

“Well, do you have a better suggestion, oh wise one?” Sydney asked her with an unamused look.

“Well, I suppose ‘I told you so’ won’t help you much,” Nadia pondered. Sydney glared. “I dunno Syd…’course this wouldn’t happen to me in the first place, so…” Nadia shrugged.

“Thanks, you’re just SO helpful,” Sydney grumbled. “But it’ll go away, right?” she asked hopefully.

“As long as it’s just a crush, it will go away,” Nadia assured her.

“Good,” Sydney smiled. Now all she had to do was hope it was just a crush.

~*~

“What’s up, Mike? How are the sick kiddies?” Eric asked his friend when they met up to go to a hockey game.

“You remembered, I’m so proud!” Michael said excitedly.

“Shut up,” Eric grumbled. “Seriously, what’s up with you? You look… pissed or something.”

“I’m not pissed just… stressed and confused,” he grumbled.

“Why?” Eric asked. “Women – or I’m sorry – men troubles?” he smirked.

Michael gave him a death glare. “Sydney… she kissed me.”

“So, you told her and she didn’t kill you, that’s great!” Eric said.

“Not summuch. She kissed me at midnight on New Year’s Eve, but she still thinks I’m gay,” Michael explained.

“Bummer… did you like the kiss or something?” Eric asked.

“Yes,” Michael whimpered.

“Hey, you said that, not me. But for the record, I agree with you.” Eric pointed out.

“Yeah… but… oh I don’t know,” he sighed and rubbed his face with his hands.

“Brilliant idea – tell her the truth,” Eric said seriously.

“But then I’ll lose her forever,” he sighed.

“Maybe not,” Eric said hopefully. “She might think it’s funny… yeah okay, most likely not,” he added at the look on Michael’s face.

“I hate myself,” Michael groaned.

“Look on the bright side – so, you tell her, right? And at first she’s gonna be pissed as hell, she might even kick you in the balls,” Eric told him.

“Oh yeah, that’s a bright side,’ Michael cut him off with a grumble.

“I wasn’t finished yet. She’ll be pissed, but if she feels the same way, she’ll forgive you eventually and then you can, you know, delude yourself into being straight for a while,” Eric pointed out.

“You know what?” Michael snapped. “I’m so god damn sick of you and your gay jokes? I’m not gay, alright? Never have been, never will be, so get off my freakin’ back. It’s your fault I got into this mess in the first place!”

“Chill out Mike, Jesus. It’s not my fault you didn’t tell Sydney that first night you went to the gay stars on skates or whatever the hell it was,” Eric defended.

“Whatever,” Michael muttered. A slightly awkward silence hung between them as they focused their attention on the game.

Ten minutes later, Eric finally spoke. “So, did you say this Sydney chick has a sister?”

“Uh, yeah, Nadia, but she’s not your type,” Michael assured him, knowing that ‘pregnant’ was as far from Eric’s type as any woman could possibly be.

“Wait,” Eric croaked. “What’s their last name?”

“Bristow, why?” Michael asked, looking sideways. Eric looked paler than Michael had ever seen him before. “What?!”

“Nothing,” Eric said quickly. Michael gave him a look. “Well…,” Eric began slowly. “Remember when I went to Vegas a few years ago?”

“Yeah…,” Michael said slowly. Eric gulped. Then, a light bulb flashed on in Michael’s mind. “HOLY felgercarb!! You married Sydney’s sister in Vegas?!”

“Yep,” Eric cringed.

“Oh man,” Michael said, rubbing his furrowed brow. “This is one small world.”

“Yep,” Eric repeated.

“Wow…”

“Yep,” Eric said once more.

Hey
Wait a minute
Ive read this chapter before
On Random Fans
Oh man
Does that mean no new chappy?
Or are you going to put the next one up on Random Fans?

just wondering if you're still gonna update on random fans too. because i find it much more reliable than this site. :D

still, i can't believe that they were married. it's a very nadia thing to do (in this fic :smiley:)

Back