You're Joking, Right?

Oh im soooooo tempted to go read at allies or something!!! i wanna see what happens when she finds out!!!

but im not an allies fan :( and i wanna be a good girl and wait... lol

BUT I DONT THINK I CAN!!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh im soooooo tempted to go read at allies or something!!! i wanna see what happens when she finds out!!!

but im not an allies fan :( and i wanna be a good girl and wait... lol

BUT I DONT THINK I CAN!!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
you could go to Random Fans :whistle:

Chapter 16
After waking up beside Sydney, Michael knew he was in even bigger trouble, but sadly, with that revelation came no ideas how to fix his situation, so he was just stuck. He decided that maybe hinting around about Sydney dating once more might be a good plan, but unfortunately, life got in the way of his plan execution. Shortly after their night together, Michael left on a week long business trip and when he returned, he found that Sydney went on a week long trip herself; she had left the day before his return.

It was almost three weeks before they were able to see each other again. When they did get together, Sydney ranted about an asshole who hit on her while she was away and, yet again, Michael abandoned his plans. He was beginning to think that was the new theme of his life.

The third week in March, Michael offered to take Sydney to a craft show she had been talking about for weeks, especially since they had something special on crocheting (Michael wasn’t sure exactly what it was, she had used a bunch of terms he didn’t understand). It was on a Saturday afternoon, so they decided to meet at her apartment at one before going to the show.

“Hey Michael,” Nadia opened the door with a smile after Michael had knocked on it. “Syd’s running a little late. She’ll be like ten minutes yet. Come on in though.”

“Thanks,” Michael said as he ducked inside and shut the door behind him. “How are you?”

“Eh, you know, alright. How about you? Can I get you something to drink?” she offered with a smile.

“No… I’m fine…,” he said slowly, his brow furrowing at her peculiar behavior.

“Have a seat,” she gestured towards the couch which was piled with blankets, pillows and her clothing.

Not seeing a place to actually sit, Michael said, “Uh, I’m fine standing actually…”

“That’s cool. Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Sure…,” he said cautiously.

Nadia lowered her voice before she spoke again, “I’ve always been curious. Weird, I know, but I just want to know. What’s… you know, sex like?”

Michael’s blood froze in his veins and he swallowed hard, trying to moisten his throat that had gone dry. “Excuse me?” he croaked.

“You know,” Nadia said, taking a step towards him. Michael took a step back away from her and towards the kitchen. “Sex with a man,” she continued. “How do you do it? Is it just as good?… I mean, I assume you’ve done it with women…”

“What?!” Michael whimpered, still backing away from her as she continued to approach.

“Seriously. What goes where? Do you really put-”

“STOP! Oh god, stop!” Michael cowered when he had backed himself up against the counter, unable to escape her any longer. His face was contorted in obvious emotional trauma and discomfort and his fingers were hovering near his ears, ready to plug shut them if necessary.

A sly, almost proud grin crossed Nadia’s face. “What’s the matter, Michael? Does this make you uncomfortable? Is there something you’d like to share with me?”

Michael sighed in defeat and lowered his hands and eyes so that he was looking at the floor while he crammed his hands down in his jean pickets. “I’m not gay,” he said in a quiet tone.

“Uh huh,” Nadia said in a knowing manner. Slowly, Michael looked back up to her and saw that her lips were twitching slightly, almost as though she was trying not to laugh. He looked at her questioningly. “You’re in so much trouble!” she said in a taunting, sing-song voice.

Michael sighed and his whole body slumped forward. “I know,” he whimpered.

“So, are you just some sort of sick idiot or what’s the deal?” Nadia asked, folding her arms over her chest.

“No,” he said firmly. “This whole thing started as a bet… I was supposed to pretend I was gay but… it sort of got a little bit out of hand,” he said timidly.

“Um… DUH!”

“Right,” he sighed. “I never meant to hurt Syd, I swear. I….I love her,” he admitted, his voice lowering and trailing off at the end.

A smile crept across Nadia’s face. “Good, at least I don’t have to kick your sorry ass then.”

He grumbled slightly. “Tell me honestly – is there any way she’ll forgive me for this… disaster?” he asked, dreading the answer.

“Well,” she sighed, placing her hand upon his shoulder. “You’re in some deep felgercarb Mike, but there’s a chance for recovery and I’m gonna help you because despite this ginormous lie, you’re a good guy and you’re good for my sister.”

“Thanks,” he smiled softly. “So… how’d you figure it out anyway? And how long have you known?”

“That you weren’t gay?” she asked. He nodded, confirming her question. “Oh well,” she laughed softly. “I knew you weren’t gay the moment I talked to you at my birthday party. My gaydar is unmatchable.”

“Oh,” he laughed softly.

“But then at Christmas, my suspicions were confirmed by the way you looked at Sydney during the whole meal,” she told him with a smile. He blushed slightly and looked away. “Just, uh… well, whenever you tell her don’t do it in public and don’t do it where there is a potential for hazardous objects to be thrown at you and then after she blows up – which she will blow up - give her at least two days to calm down before you start begging for forgiveness.”

“Thanks,” he groaned, knowing her information wasn’t the most helpful. Nadia shrugged, but before she could speak again, Sydney came out of the bathroom.

“Hey… what were you guys talking about?” Sydney asked.

“Nothing,” they both said quickly. Sydney looked at them suspiciously. “Well, uh…. I asked Mike to tell me about having sex with other men,” Nadia told her bluntly.

Sydney looked horrified and smacked her sister with her purse. “Nadia! That’s like the most inappropriate question ever, Jesus. Do people come up to you and ask you how you have sex?!”

“Well, actually…,” she began with a sly grin that earned her another smack from her sister.

“I’m so sorry,” Sydney apologized to Michael. “My sister is socially deformed.”

“It’s okay,” he laughed. “I ignored her.”

“Good,” Sydney said firmly. “Let’s go then.” She grabbed Michael’s hand and gave her sister a glare before pulling him out of the apartment with her. “I am SO sorry about her,” she apologized once more once they were walking towards his car.

“It’s okay really. I know Nadia is… Nadia,” he laughed softly.

“I know, I know, I’m sorry… that’s just so disgusting,” she shivered. Then immediately she tried to backtrack, “I mean… it’s not just that that’s gross I mean not that that’s gross… I mean I don’t want to hear anyone describe how they have sex ever… I’m just going to shut up now,” she whimpered while turning pink.

“I understand,” he told her. “No biggie. Let’s just go and get the information on the newest, most high tech, coolest inventions in crocheting.”

“You’re mocking me,” she accused.

“Me?” he smiled innocently. “Never.”

Chapter 17
“Jeez Syd, what’s with you? You look like you’re about to kill the TV,” Nadia commented at her sister’s scowl.

“What?” Sydney asked distantly. “Oh… yeah… no,” she sighed. She wasn’t about to kill the TV, but she was about to kill someone, namely herself. Well, maybe that was a slight exaggeration, but she was definitely having one of those ‘I really don’t like myself’ moments.

“What’s up, sis?” Nadia asked in a serious and concerned tone.

“Well...,” Sydney began cautiously as she picked at the seams on the pillow in her lap. “Remember how I told you about my crush on Michael and how you said that if it was just a crush it would go away.”

“Yeah…,” Nadia said slowly.

Sydney whimpered and fell forward so that her face was buried in the pillow. “It’s not just a crush.”

“It’s not?” Nadia asked.

Sydney tilted her head to the side so that she could look at her sister. “I… I think I love him,” she croaked before whimpering once more and cramming her face down into the pillow.

Nadia didn’t react for a moment. She was contemplating the best response that would bode the best for all parties involved. “Well… it might not be as bad as you think…”

“Are you kidding me?!” Sydney wailed. “I’m in love with a gay man. GAY!!! He’s gay as in he likes people with stubble and man parts not makeup and boobs!”

Nadia couldn’t help but crack a smile at this. “It’s not funny!” Sydney screeched.

“I know, I know,” Nadia sighed. “Wait… didn’t you tell me like forever ago that Michael might have been bi not just gay?” Nadia asked, hoping that this hopeful idea would buy enough time for Michael to get the guts – or in this case balls – to break the truth to her.

“Well… yeah,” Sydney said cautiously. “But, he might not even like me, you know?”

“Or, he might be scared that you don’t like him,” Nadia pointed out. Sydney looked uncertain. “Look, one of you is going to have to be the bigger person and bring this up. I’m not saying it has to be you and I’m not saying it has to be tomorrow, but no matter what, it has to happen or you’ll both be miserable.”

“Oooor,” Sydney began hopefully. “I can just wait it out and hope my feelings go away.”

“Syd, how long have you known Michael?” Nadia asked her.

“Um, not quite six months,” Sydney told her.

“And how long have you liked him…,” Nadia led.

Sydney’s face fell. “Damn it, I’m screwed. Why do I have to love him?!” she whimpered and flung herself down onto the sofa once more.

“Well… he’s perfect,” Nadia muttered, almost bitterly. “I mean, I’d marry him… lord knows I’ve married worse,” Nadia shivered.

“Oh,” Sydney sat up straight, feeling slightly brighter. “That reminds me… I forgot to ask. When was the last time you spoke to Eric Weiss?” she asked with a grin. Nadia turned visibly paler and gulped; Sydney burst out laughing.

“How…,” Nadia croaked.

“Eric’s Michael’s best friend… or close friend rather,” Sydney smiled.

“Oh,” Nadia laughed slightly. “What a small world…”

“Yes, it really is. So, how does the former Mrs. Weiss feel about her short-term spouse?” Sydney grinned.

Nadia shivered and grimaced. “Let’s just say a high volume of alcohol will do amazing things to a person.”

“Clearly,” Sydney laughed. “But you know what’s even funnier? Eric hit on me.”

“Well… that’s sorta funny, but Eric hits on anything female that breathes,” Nadia pointed out.

“True,” Sydney sighed.

“You know what you should do? Invite Michael to your high school reunion.” Nadia told her.

“Oh, I don’t know…” Sydney sighed. “I feel bad dragging him along to everything…”

“Why? He doesn’t seem to mind it. Besides, he’s pretended to be your boyfriend before,” Nadia pointed out.

“Exactly my point,” Sydney sighed as she began picking at the pillow fabric once more. “I mean… if that isn’t horrible for my crush slash love whatever it is, I don’t know what is… it’s bad Nadia, really, really bad.”

“I know that,” Nadia said as she rubbed her sister’s back soothingly. “But, think about the alternative. Johnny Assmunch mocking you for an entire weekend.”

Sydney grimaced. “I can’t handle that.”

“So take Michael. Johnny won’t be able to say a word,” Nadia smiled at her. Sydney gave her a half smile in return, but she was still unsure.

~*~

“So, uh,” Sydney began with a nervous laugh. “You’re totally going to hate me when I ask you this but-”

Michael looked over at her and smiled, already knowing what she was about to say. “I’ll go to your reunion with you.”

Sydney gave a soft laugh as her whole body relaxed and she tucked her hair out of her face and behind her ear. “How do you do that?”

He shrugged. “I’m special.”

“You seriously won’t mind? Because I hate abusing you this way,” she said in a guilty tone.

“You’re not abusing,” he assured her. “It’s fine.”

“We’ll have to share a hotel room for one night,” she warned.

“I’ll make sure to bring my hazmat suit,” he teased with a grin.

“Michael stop!!” she whined. “I’m serious.”

“I know and you’re so cute when you’re all worried,” he pointed out with a grin. She sighed helplessly. “I’m telling you, it’s not a big deal. I’ll be your perfectly handsome doctor boyfriend. The one who is going to propose next month on a beach in Hawaii. The one who you’re going to have to beautiful children with. The one that will make all the whores that teased you in high school insanely jealous because their once good looking quarterback boyfriend turned husband now has a massive beer belly and refuses to get out of his La-Z-Boy.”

Sydney smiled softly as her heart fluttered, wishing all those things would come true. “You know a therapist would have a field day with me… fabricating all those things just to prove those freaks I’m better when I’m really not.”

Michael reached over and tilted her head up with the tip of his forefinger. “You are better… and as long as there are no therapists in your class, I think we’re home free,” he winked.

She laughed softly, leaned over and hugged him. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he whispered back.

“Thank you for being the best friend I’ve ever had,” she told him quietly.

He squeezed her a bit tighter. “Right back at ya.”

they are just both soo cute together :love:

Michael needs to tell her the truth otherwise it will keep getting worse n worse,

haha im first, its been a loong time

-luv em 💘

Chapters 16/17

awww !!! syd and vaughn are so good together . i just wonder when vaughn is going to tell syd the truth or if she will found out about it from diferent sources ???

i can´t wait for more :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: ,

Nanda

chapters 14/15 and 16/17.
sorry for the lack of updates but with AA down and me going on vacation i didn't have time to reply.
anyway....
great chapters! (what else can i say? all of your fics are good) :smiley:
i'm glad nadia finally found out. now he just have to tell sydney.

Like someone said, I wanna Sydney to know about him being straight just so I can see her slep him :lol:
They aren't together yet, but they are acting like a couple sometimes, that's the feeling I get when I read some of the chapters :lol:

Can't wait for Sydney to find out :P

eeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet some woman hits on vaughn so syd comes and gives him a kiss and they start makeing out? hehe just my little fantasy.

“I’m telling you, it’s not a big deal. I’ll be your perfectly handsome doctor boyfriend. The one who is going to propose next month on a beach in Hawaii. The one who you’re going to have to beautiful children with.

It's so nice that Sydney and Michael are on the same track. And when they see the light at the end of the tunnel, lets hope they're not hit by a train.

At least Nadia is onto and on the side of Michael. He's got a big supporter.

Chris

YA Nadia knows!!!! Maybe she can help him out!!! :woot:
-And YA she's in love with him!!!!! And I'm glad he's going with her!!
Great update!! Loved it!!!

Chapter 18
For Sydney, the second weekend in May, the weekend of her ten-year high school class reunion, came all too quickly. She wasn’t sure if she was ready to go back to high school, even though it wasn’t really going back, it felt that way. On the way there, she could barely focus on her driving, because she was so nervous. She felt like it was the first day of school all over again and everyone was going to be judging her.

“Syd,” Michael said softly when he glanced over and saw her gripping the steering wheel tightly and looking slightly pale. “Are you sure you’re alright to drive?”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “Besides you’d never find your way there.”

“Hey, I’m not that directionally challenged,” he defended, almost sounding offended.

“No, no I know… it’s just… well, it’s only another hour. I’m fine, really,” she assured him with a half smile.

“Alright… so, is there anything I should know about your classmates?” he asked her.

“Um… well my class was pretty small – less than two hundred people,” she told him. “So we all pretty much knew each other. My best friend was Sarah Cross, but she died during our sophomore year of college. We went to different schools but… she was a passenger and the driver was drunk… hit a telephone pole…”

“Oh,” Michael said, not really knowing what else to say. “That’s horrible, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah,” she said sadly. “It was really hard, especially for her family. She was an only child,” Sydney explained. Michael nodded. “Anyway… I had a few other friends, but I wasn’t really close to that many people. Mostly everyone teased me… I wasn’t hated… I was just the butt of their jokes,” she said, looking down slightly before focusing back on the road.

“I’m sorry Syd, if had been there I would have asked you out,” he told her.

“Oh yeah, right,” she rolled her eyes.

“I would have!” he insisted.

“Yeah, you’ll be singing a different tune when you see my beyond hideous high school photo,” she shivered slightly.

“You? Hideous? Nope, not possible,” he shook his head.

“Just wait,” she warned.

“Okay, okay,” he grumbled. “What about boyfriends? Have any of those?” he asked.

“Two,” she told him. “Greg Abbot. I dated him sophomore year, but then he moved away so he didn’t graduate with us. Then, for the first part of senior year there was Filbert Ja-”

“Wait,” Michael cut her off with a laugh. “Filbert?! FILBERT?! Please tell me that wasn’t some poor child’s name!”

“Oh, but it was…,” Sydney laughed slightly.

“That’s child abuse,” he said seriously.

“I know,” she giggled. “Anyway his name was Filbert James. He was alright… shockingly normal for the name he had, but there’s no big story there… we dated for like two months, broke up, you know,” she shrugged.

“Right,” he nodded. “So, if you ‘claim,’” he said with air quotes, “that you were, what was it? Beyond hideous? How did you become… un-hideous?” he asked.

“Oh, well… the summer after high school I finally let Nadia take me on as her project to mold and turn into a normal human being as she put it,” Sydney explained.

“How loving of her,” Michael laughed softly.

“Yeah, yeah… what about you and your high school experience… as long as we’re sharing,” Sydney said.

“Well… despite being not quite a social outcast, I was the head of the biology club-”

“Oh right, you said. Niiiice,” she interrupted with a soft laugh.

“Thanks,” he smiled. “And…oh, I played hockey for two years… that’s about it though. I had a pretty boring existence.”

“Did you date… women?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said firmly. “I had a few girlfriends here and there… you know… just people, no one special.”

“Oh yes… that special person,” she said in an almost menacing tone. “I want to beat that person with a stick.”

Michael laughed loudly. “Wow, that’s violent.”

“I’m serious! Can’t some divine intervention just give me the name, address and phone number of that person.”

Michael laughed again. “But that takes the fun out of life!”

“Fun… pah,” she grumbled. “Sorry, I’m just bitter ‘cause… you know.”

“Don’t be. You and I are going to have an awesome time this weekend,” he told her with a smile. She gave him a wary look. “We are! Say it with me ‘we’re going to have an awesome time’… come on, say it,” he coaxed.

“We’re going to have an awesome time,” she repeated dully. “But it’s going to suck.” Michael rolled his eyes in defeat.

~*~

At noon, Sydney and Michael arrived at the Hilton Hotel where her reunion was being held after two long hours of driving. They checked into the hotel and found that their room wasn’t ready, so they left their bags in the car. Sydney suggested that they wander around the hotel and Michael agreed, though he knew she was avoiding registering at her reunion, he figured they could make a detour to the conference rooms (where registration was) during their tour.

“Oh look Syd, it’s-”

“GAH! You tricked me!” she whimpered. “That’s Abby… she was the head of student council and HOLY felgercarb did she get fat!” Sydney exclaimed while looking at the girl sitting behind the registration table.

“Jeez Syd, be a little quieter why don’t ya,” he hissed in her ear, noting the loud level of her voice.

“Sorry,” she said quieter. “But she did get fat.”

“Okay, okay, just go up to her,” he said, nudging her slightly from behind. She glared at him over her shoulder as she stumbled towards the table with Michael a few steps behind her.

“Hi, I’m-” but Sydney was cut off by a squeal from the woman sitting at the registration table.

“Good Lord! Are you Sydney Bristow? You changed so much! Do you remember me? Abby, Abby Dougherty, well it’s Hawthorne now,” she giggled.

“Oh yeah… Abby,” Sydney said in a fakely interested voice. “How are you?”

“Wonderful! I’ve been married about three years now, isn’t that wonderful? My husbands at home with our son right now. How about you? Are you-”

“Engaged,” Sydney interrupted her quickly, while groping behind her for Michael. She caught a hold on the front of his shirt and yanked him forward. “Yeah… engaged for… how long has it been honey? Two months now?” she smiled at him while locking her arm around his back.

“Uh yeah…,” Michael said cautiously.

“Time flies, right?” she giggled to Abby in a fake tone.

“Of course! So, let me get you registered… Okay, here’s your name tag and schedule and –oh, here it just says guest,” Abby pointed out.

“Yes well, we weren’t sure if Michael was going to be able to come. He’s a doctor, very busy,” she told Abby quietly.

“Ohh,” Abby’s face lit up as she nodded. “Of course, I understand. Well, here you go dear. I’ll see you around, okay?”

“Okay,” Sydney grinned before taking her name tag and schedule from Abby and dragging Michael away from the registration table while saying loudly, “Come on sweetie, let’s go find the pool.”

Michael was nearly laughing so hard he couldn’t stand up straight after witnessing the fake behavior that was so uncharacteristic of the Sydney he knew and loved. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry,” Sydney wailed quietly once they were around the corner and out of earshot.

“Well, five minutes ago I was just your friend, now I’m your fiancé. I guess this is a quick moving romance,” he teased.

She gave him a helpless look. “I freaked! You heard her all ‘married three years now,’” Sydney mocked in a tone similar to Abby’s. “I didn’t know what to doooo,” she groaned and buried her face in Michael’s chest.

“I know, I know,” he sighed and kissed the top of her head. “It’s fine. Why don’t we just go see if the room’s ready, okay?”

“Okay,” she sighed. “I hate myself.”

“Aw Syd,” he sighed and hugged her tightly.

“I do… just wait, this night is only going to get more sucky. It’ll never get any better,” she muttered.

“Gee, I can’t wait,” he said with obvious sarcasm.

Chapter 19
After getting into their room, Sydney hung up her dress for that evening and made sure she had all the clothes she needed before she and Michael relaxed on the bed in front of the TV for a few hours. At four thirty, Sydney grumbled and grunted as she got off the bed and went into the bathroom to begin fixing her hair so she would be ready on time for the start of the five thirty meet and greet before the six o’clock cocktail hour before their seven o’clock dinner.

“Do I have to go?” Sydney whined from the bathroom.

“Um, yeah I think you do,” he told her.

“But I don’t waaaanna,” she whined.

“Then why the hell did you come?” he laughed softly.

“Because I have to prove that I’m… you know, me. What do you think of this?” Sydney asked when she stepped out of the bathroom.

Michael looked up and his jaw nearly crashed open at the sight of her. She was wearing a strapless black form fitting dress that had a tiny white accent line around the bottom. Her hair was curled and it hung around her face, which had the perfect amount of soft makeup on. “You look…really good,” Michael croaked after he had been staring at her for a full minute in silence.

“You think so?” she asked in an almost timid way.

“YEAH!! You’re going to make every single person at that reunion eat whatever words they teased you with,” he assured her.

“Thanks,” she smiled softly. “And if this dress doesn’t do it, my arm candy definitely will,” she winked at him.

“Right,” he laughed softly. “You ready to go then?”

“Definitely,” she smiled before taking his arm. He led her down to the elevator and they rode the two floors down to the main level, where the banquet room the reunion was in was located. Halfway down the hall Sydney froze.

“What?” Michael asked her quietly.

“I don’t know if I can do this… all those people…”

“You can do this, Syd,” he told her firmly. “There is nothing they can tease you about and even if they do, they’re just jealous of how hot you look.”

“I look hot?” she smiled up at him, laughing softly.

“Very hot,” he assured her. She squeezed his arm a little tighter before walking with him into the banquet room and immediately slipping along the side of the room and following the wall over to the corner, where she stopped. He raised an eyebrow at her, “We’re standing in the corner?”

“I can’t go out there; this is what I do. I’m best as a wallflower,” she told him quietly.

“Not tonight,” he told her as he dragged her out towards the center of the room. Sydney protested the best she could, but Michael pulled her out anyway. She clung to him like a scared child, practically hiding her face behind his arm for ten minutes until someone came up to her. As it turned out, the woman who approached her had been one of her closer friends during high school, so Sydney came out of her shell a bit while reminiscing for a few minutes before the girl moved on to talk to another old friend.

“See, you survived,” Michael smiled at her. She gave him a wary look.

“Oh no,” Sydney gasped a few minutes later and hid her face in the crook of Michael’s neck.

“What?” he asked.

“Johnny… he just walked in… by the door… ugly tie,” she told Michael.

Michael glanced over and saw the man she was describing and nodded. “Who’s Johnny?”

“Most popular guy in school… a jock… a mean one,” she told him quietly. Michael nodded knowingly, his eyes narrowing towards the man who had obviously made Sydney’s life hell during high school.

“Come on then… we’ll just walk around and avoid him. Why don’t we find out where we’re sitting?” he suggested while gesturing towards the seating chart near the front of the room.

“Okay, good idea,” Sydney nodded and began walking towards it. Unfortunately, the seating chart wasn’t very well organized at all, so they were stuck skimming through the names at all the tables until they found their names. As they were doing this, Sydney felt someone walk up beside her, but she didn’t look over. She simply moved a step to her right so that there was enough room for them to look at the seating chart as well. Much to her surprise, she felt fingers drifting gently up her arm, which caused her to look up. Even more to her surprise, she saw Johnny beside her, grinning.

“Hey cutie,” he said in a flirtatious voice. Sydney had to fight to keep her jaw from crashing opened. She felt Michael’s arm snake around her waist protectively as he took a step closer to her, obviously trying to intimidate Johnny.

Johnny removed his fingers from her arm as he smiled slyly. “Sydney Bristow,” he read her nametag. “That name doesn’t sound familiar… did we date?”

Sydney couldn’t even speak; luckily Michael did it for her. “Babe, I found our seats, why don’t we go and sit down?”

“Oh-okay..,” she croaked. Michael gave Johnny a death glare before pulling Sydney away from the seating chart. “Can we…can we go get some air or something?” she asked quietly.

“Sure,” he said. He hugged her tightly and walked with her out of the banquet room and out onto the nearby patio, where he noticed her hands beginning to tremble. “Hey Syd, it’s okay, just take a deep breath. Deep breath, Syd,” he coaxed while rubbing her arms and back soothingly.

“Why… why would he say that,” she sniffed and pressed her face into his shoulder.

Michael hugged her tightly. “He’s just an asshole, Syd; don’t let him get to you. He’s probably drunk, doesn’t know what he’s talking about it. Just forget about him.”

“It’s… it’s hard…”

“I know it is,” he told her. “But just think of it this way. He’s probably never changed; he’s probably still back in high school, but you – you’ve moved on. You’re so much better than that.”

She looked up at him and smiled softly. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” he smiled back. She leaned up and kissed his cheek softly before walking back inside with Michael in tow.

As the evening progressed, Sydney found that it actually wasn’t as bad as she thought it would be (aside from Johnny, of course). As it turned out, most of the ‘popular’ crowd, who had been mean to her, had changed dramatically either in the form of massive weight gain or botched plastic surgery that left them looking fairly odd and obviously enhanced in some way, shape, or form. Sydney found great amusement in this, which she defended to Michael as simply karmic pay back (to which he rolled his eyes slightly). Their dinner was pleasant and afterwards Sydney felt sure that she would be able to survive Sunday’s activities of touring around their old high school and then finally a picnic outside before they’d return home.

After dinner, Sydney and Michael returned to their room where they got ready for bed, since they were both exhausted after the long and stressful (at least stressful for Sydney) day they had had.

“Thanks for coming,” Sydney told Michael in a quiet, sleepy tone when they were lying in bed together.

“Of course,” he told her softly. Then he leaned over and kissed her forehead softly. She sighed happily and within a few minutes, she fell asleep. Michael lay there for a few minutes, watching her in the dim light before he decided to forget the fact that he was supposed to be pretending he was gay. He didn’t care anymore; he just wanted to hold her, so he carefully tucked one arm around her and snuggled a bit closer to her before falling asleep himself.

Back