Zombie Apocalypse

wow, you asked the wrong person about this one. ive given this alot of thought, and my ideas arent ripped directly from the Zombie Survival Guide either. here goes(and hit the link in my signature to check out my zombie serial. new story very soon!):

firstly, i'd loot a pharmacy. not because im a junkie, but because i myself require a daily medication to be okay. also, you'll need antispetics, antibiotics, frist aid sutff the whole shebang. i would think this would be the logical first stop. plus, you can barter stuff like xanax and oxycontin and dexedrine when money becomes useless.
secondly id find a good hand to hand weapon and a decent gun. i live in new york so this wont be easy. my uncle has a liscence and a whole lot of pistols. so i guess id try to hook up with him. id go for a gun with minimal kick and a common, easy to come by load. what i mean is, i wouldnt go looking for a japanes 8mm nambu because its cool.id have hell finding ammo for it .38s, .22s, 9mm etc. in NYC the most common street gun is a .380. so maybe id go for that. if i had a choice id go for an M1 carbine ,short barrelled. this rifle is from WW2 but they make newer ones. its semiauto and small for a rifle, which is good if your walking long distances.
as to melee weapons, again you dont wanna be flashy. a quaklity bat or one of those telescoping batons. police batons are made to be less than lethal so no go. don't use anything decorative. if you want to use your LOTR Sting replica, the blade will probably come loose from the handle with your first swing. Also those crappy sword they sell on QVC couldnt crack a skull either. A medeval mace would be cool. even just a cast iron pipe.
next stop would be a supermarket. you'd want a manual can opener, sutff that requires minimal preperation and no perishables. also keep it healthy. dont overload yourself either
for mode of trnasportation id go with a vespa. small, easy on fuel and able to haul a rucksack. cars or SUVs use too much gas and the roads will be littered with wrecks.
then find a good place to crash. something above ground level with stars you can disable or destroy

Very well done! I liked the pharmacy idea a lot...

I would first grab any kind of useful knife around me. I have a machete in my garage, and a bowie knife on an antique stand. I would equip myself with them, and then start to load my 12-gauge shotgun. After getting all of my bullets and ammunition, I would then pack my bag with whatever else was useful (Quick, digestible food; clothes; SOCKS!!!; Underwear; etc...). I would proceed to kick ***, and try to get into my jeep wrangler. After running over a good bunch of those ****ers, I would then do the pharmacy idea. I would probably be out of ammunition, so I would then get more ammo at my nearest store, possibly even upgrading my weapon of choice :cool:. After that, I would try to use my cell. I am only going to guess that the towers would fail due to the zombies, so I would then have to get to a radio. From there, work my way to my hometown to rescue the rest of my family (If there are not already zombies).

BTW, you should play Left 4 Dead...they have a lot of resourceful info on zombies ;)

first thing i would do is arm myself with whatever type of weapon i can at home then try and make it to any place i can pick up a pistol, shotgun, bow and arrow and crossbow. the pistol and shotgun are only as good as long as the ammo last, unless you want to search for reloading equipment and take the time to manufacture ammo yourself and arrows and string can be made of practically anything with a little ingenuity.

i too would also hit the pharmacy next, then the local shopping center (probably walsmart, teehee) for everything else. depending on time of year, load vehicle up on clothing, food, perishible and non-perishible, a good generator (if they have one). also go the a local hardware store for other needs, generator (if cant find it anywhere else), nails, screws, any wood that can be hauled by one person, batteries, flashlights, ax (for chopping wood for winter and cooking), fuel oil (till that runs out and have to cook over wood fire), wood stove for cooking and heating, lots of duct tape and string (both these items are quite handy and multi-purpose). and last but not least a ham radio.

Nicely done! I liked the fact that you explained the bow and arrow. So true. I also enjoyed the part about getting a generator. Would've never thought of that!!

And thanks on welcoming me...I do feel at home already :smiley:

yeah, a genny would be key, missed that one.
And i have a friend with a ham radio so id probably meet up w/ him.
A slingshot or one of those david and goliath slings, with the right load, can crack a skull. youd need huge ball bearings or musket balls tho

Instead of a Vespa, how about a sand buggy? It'd be lighter than a traditional car or SUV and would be able to carry multiple passengers & a lot more than just a rucksack. A few jerrycans on the back and, even with most of humanity gone, you should be able to get to the next major town or so before having to fill up again.

Somewhat related... don't forget a good hand pump! You wouldn't want a battery operated one, for obvious reasons, but an old-fashioned hand-crank pump would do wonders for siphoning gas & water as needed.

When picking out weapons, your local hardware store is a perfect place to pick up your anti-Zombie arsenal. Look for a hammer with a standard hammer head on one side & a hatchet (assuming you don't already have the ax PK64 recommended) on the other and also pick up a hammer with the standard head on one side & a spike on the other; both could be used for a wide number of uses, everything from scavenging to defensive against the zombie hordes to ripping into a wooden door to gain access.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious one yet... a really thick helmet! Grab a full head motorcycle helmet or, if you can't find any of them, something like a football or ice hockey helmet. Heck, grab your Uncle Frank's WWII German infantry helmet if you have to. One way or another... no zombie will be eating my brain. :D

good ones kevin. never thought of the hand pump or the axes/hammers. for me, instead of a helmet i would get full length leather outfits to cover from neck on down. harder for zombies to bite through (i hope). yes could be a problem in summer heat but i am sure that it could be worked around. flexible leather (seen it on some history channel show) that is layered but still flexible to allow for movement and heat escape is good.

also just thought of either lots of cans to store good drinking water or for temporary use those pills you drop in water to purify it. that could come in handy in places where you are unsure of water.

Oh yes!!!1 I forgot about water! That is probably the most important, considering we would be fighting these things AND sweating our asses off...And the part about tools and such, didnt even think about that. Great stuff.

I figured, kind of like Resident Evil, if the dead start to walk then that means there's got to be some kind of mutation going on. My point is that there are monsters out there that only the imagination could go to. Jeez, just think what would be out there!

So with that, Molotov Cocktails would have to be created. Not to mention pipe bombs, grenades, etc... to make sure that the bigger things out there are not left out ;)

i kinda thought i would be something like resident evil and 28 days later or 28 weeks later.

i even toyed with the thought that maybe it could be something like in doomsday.

or even better how about a virus that mutates the mind where you dont see any physical change till your someone elses lunch.

OOOOOOO, like maybe The Thing? That would be more difficult. I could even see groups of people seeing if blood explodes just like in The Thing.

I would hope it would be something like Resident Evil. I like the mutation monsters and the zombies wouldnt be as hard to run from, haha! But, Left 4 Dead world would be one hell of an adrenaline rush.

OOOOOOO, like maybe The Thing?
As long as there are no walking 'spider' heads like from The Thing remake by Carpenter. For some reason, that scene freaks me out every time I see it.

That would be more difficult. I could even see groups of people seeing if blood explodes just like in The Thing.

I would hope it would be something like Resident Evil. I like the mutation monsters and the zombies wouldnt be as hard to run from, haha! But, Left 4 Dead world would be one hell of an adrenaline rush.
If we're looking at mutations then the zombies/vampires from the Will Smith remake of I am Legend were some pretty formidable foes as well. By setting traps for the erstwhile hero, the zombies of that film showed intelligence and turned the tables by hunting down the zon-zombies.

Personally I prefer my zombies to be 'dumb' zombies... I'm too old to be running down an abandoned street being chased by roving packs of zombies trying to kill me! :D

Assuming I wasn't lumped in with the bulk of humanity that instantly turned to an undead horde, I'd just stay low at my house and assemble gear together in case I had to leave. I guess my plans after that would depend on the kind of zombies. The shambling stupid kind wouldn't be much of an issue. Dawn of the dead fast zombies are a whole different deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsintheMinded
OOOOOOO, like maybe The Thing?

As long as there are no walking 'spider' heads like from The Thing remake by Carpenter. For some reason, that scene freaks me out every time I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsintheMinded
That would be more difficult. I could even see groups of people seeing if blood explodes just like in The Thing.

If we're looking at mutations then the zombies/vampires from the Will Smith remake of I am Legend were some pretty formidable foes as well. By setting traps for the erstwhile hero, the zombies of that film showed intelligence and turned the tables by hunting down the zon-zombies.

Personally I prefer my zombies to be 'dumb' zombies... I'm too old to be running down an abandoned street being chased by roving packs of zombies trying to kill me! :D

i agree, the spider from the thing was a nightmare. as much as i like dumb zombies i still want one with enough intelligence to put up a good fight yet still lose...cause i hate dying.

Yeah, the spider head was wayyyyyyyyy too creepy. Especially when it screamed on fire, haha.

I wouldnt mind the whole slow zombie, because evolution of this "virus" causing these things to rise would have to mutate into some kind of superior form (like Nemisis from Resident Evil, or the dad from 28 weeks later). That would definitely change up strategy timing.

However, the fast, skilled zombies would be great practice for the big sha-bang. Without them to defend against, how would we be able to handle the most extreme out there? To be the best, you have to face the best and I just dont think I would feel pleased with mediocore :P

However...You take what you can get :cool:

Ok, so im like 1/3 of the way finished with The Zombie Survival Guide, and I cannot express how much it kicks ***. This book has it all:

It talks about the origins of Zombies

It talks about the makeup of a zombie (Like, how there is this virus called Solanum that infects the brain with these cells. It takes over the cells in the frontal lobe and reproduces its own, causing the body to deteriate. However, the blood in the zombie can then infect anyone else, and there is no cure.)

The zombies are all about hunting and how, when prey is noticed, there is no way to deter a zombie away from the prey.

The weapons talked about are hilarious but seem very accurate. No chainsaws, flamethrowers, or sledge hammers should be used. The best bludgeon would be a crowbar (many uses), then a machete for a slicer, then a rifle for a gun (zombies die when the brain is destroyed).

This book is fricken awesome. I just started and cant stop reading (other than to post this). A must read, considering this is training and possibly the new 2012 :cool:

Back