Zombie Attacks - Are you prepared?

Kuzzle

Cadet
So, I watched Shaun of the Dead on Comedy Central today, and it got me thinking... Ok, well, I'm paranoid, so I pretty much play out all worse-case scenarios out in my head thousands of times, but, uh... Anyway, I got to thinking about how I'd do in the situation of a zombie attack.

So I'm formulating a plan. First off, I've got to know where all my available weapons are. I know where plenty of them are outside, because, as I said, I'm paranoid and I've played the 'Attacked by wild animals while taking the dogs out at night.' situation over in my mind hundreds of times. Within five feet of the door alone, there's a shovel, a snow shovel, a walking stick, and an aluminum pipe. Now, while the pipe's very lightweight, being that it's aluminum, it's the perfect size to be used as a weapon, and I feel that only something very strong could bend it. Other than that, I know the location of a handful of useful bits of metal. Keep in mind, this is all just outside.

Also, there are a ton of old cars on the property. Now, I don't know which are locked and which are not, and this is the biggest problem that I see. I really should check one of these days... Anyway, these could be used to escape some sort of threat, provided I can find one that's not locked.

Now, inside... There are too many windows for this location to be defensible for very long. Also, the only weapons that I know of are the knives, but I'm sure that I would be able to locate a handful more if needed. Large tools, car parts, excercise equipment, that ridiculously strong bike lock behind me, all of these things would be useful in the event of an emergency.

Now, I don't drive, so being on the move would be even more dangerous than normal for me. Still, I think that it would be a must if we were going to round up survivors, so it's important to keep in mind that supplies with which you can easily travel are best. I don't know where many backpacks are, so carrying large amounts of supplies could get troublesome, and, therefore, I would have to keep them in a vehicle.

Now, choice of vehicle is important. Full size vans are best, provided they're the type with no side windows in the back, but I don't have access to one. I would have to settle for what I could get my hands on. This'd likely mean a truck, which is far from the best option, but it'd have to work.

Also important is your destination. Now, stores are the obvious choice, in that they contain the most supplies. I happen to be partial to a particular store in the next town over, as it contains a wide variety of supplies, and it doesn't have many windows. This makes it easier to defend.

Now, knowing people's location is key. If there's someone you want to save, make sure you know where they are before you rush off looking for them! This could be most easily accomplished with cell phones, but, as I don't have one... Well, I'd score poorly in that section then, wouldn't I?

Another important, and often overlooked, aspect is body armor. If they can infect you by biting you, you're going to want to cover as much of your body as you can. Now, you're going to want to have some good sturdy clothing on hand, and I'm going to go ahead and recommend leather to those of you who aren't offended by it. If, however, you don't have anything like that handy, use what you do have. If you can't find anything particularly heavy, dress in layers of easily removable, yet still fairly sturdy clothing. That way, if you get grabbed, you can slip out of their grip.

Now, I know this is a very long post, but... Think about it. If zombies attacked, would you be prepared? Most likely not. I ask that you prepare yourself, however, so that you can help in the fight. and so that you don't add to their numbers. Seriously, I'll have enough zombies to kill without you lot joinin' them.

A great guide on how to survive a zombie attack. The writer was a guy in my guild in WoW. For survival and a hilarious read, I highly recommend this guide:
http://www.omgjeremy.com/wordblogs/jeremy/wordpress/archives/284

I think between your post and this guide, we are pretty well set in the event of a zombie attack. Myself, personally, I've got a razor sharp authentic katana on my wall (not one of those cheaply made suckers). Zombies can't chase you very well if they are missing a leg and they can't bite you if their head's off... at least not unless it can move on its own.

Ever since I helped develop a Mod for Half-Life that focused around zombies, I keep plenty of blunt and shart objects near me. I even have two backpacks filled with nibbles and water, plus other stuff upstairs. (Granted that servers more purpose than just a zombie attack.)

You have the right bear arms. A Desert Eagle on your side at all times might make you feel better. Maybe a chainsaw. You also have the right to bare arms, but that is probably irrelevant here.

Ah, but as with all good gasoline/bullet requiring weapons, you WILL run out! What will you do then? A shotgun or chainsaw or the like is golden to have in case of dire emergancy, but you can't rely on it for extended use.

Gate said:
Ah, but as with all good gasoline/bullet requiring weapons, you WILL run out! What will you do then? A shotgun or chainsaw or the like is golden to have in case of dire emergancy, but you can't rely on it for extended use.

Good point.

Back