Alias-related "Jeers" in TV Guide

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
The newest issue of TV Guide contains this "Jeers" in the Cheers and Jeers section.

Jeers to the played-out music-video sequences that conclude nearly every episode of drama series such as Cold Case and Alias. Hey, if we wanted to see videos, we'd watch MTV. Oh, wait, never mind. MTV hardly ever plays videos anymore.

Personally, I kind of like those sequences. They provide a sort of poignance to the end of certain episodes. And it's kind of an exaggeration to say that "nearly every episode" ends with them. We still get the occasional cliffhanger. Do they get on other people's nerves?

First, not "nearly every episode" of Alias ends with one--this is true only of Cold Case. In fact, not even "nearly every episode" of Alias includes a prominent musical interlude, IMO. If they used the Donny Darko version of "Mad World" (much as I personally love it), I might object because it has not only been used on Darko but at least two series that I have personally seen (and I think I heard about another)--that's over-exposure ("Hallelujah" has similarly been over-exposed recently). This just shows that they don't know what they're talking about.

Secondly, I happen to like the way that Alias usually handles the music interludes. They frequently use them during periods of action that don't require dialog (such as their use of "What Do I Have To Do To Prove My Love To You?" in "Breaking Point"--not at the end, BTW)--or use them to set up scenes/underscore emotion (as "Give You Back" in "Truth Be Told")--or even to comment on the action/events of the episode (take their use of "Hate To Say I Told You So" in "The Prophecy," wherein the mission only serves to support what they were hoping to disprove--again, not at the end).
;)

I really enjoy the use of the musical interludes (during the show or at the end). I don't think that Alias ends "nearly every episode" with these "music-video sequences". Often music is used during an action scene, but I think that this makes the scene more exciting to watch. I think this is a case where the writer decided to do a "cheers and jeers" column and then ran out of jeers to the point of making up information. It certainly would not be the first time.

I can see the point with Cold Case because they end each ep the same way: with music, the investigator filing the evidence (or file), and the ghost of the deceased looking on as she does this and the perpetrator is at last brought to justice and the survivors find some closure. Touched by an investigator? Alias is not the same thing, and it's not monotonous like that.
;)

I agree with Vh. It's a good way to include sound when there is no need for verbal dialogue esp. when a certain song can do that. Like at the end of Crossings when they played Delicate by Damien Rice - if you really listen to the lyrics of that song. It perfectly illustrates what just happened between Syd/Vaughn! And no Alias does not do it all the time, I wouldn't say anymore than your other shows.

Here's the link to Delicate's Lyrics - which were played as they were coming back from the mission into the office - (LoL - I thought it was so perfect I made a thread about it!)

http://forums.allalias.com/index.php?showtopic=12526

Back