Android app for counting calories?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Any recommendations for an Android app for counting calories? Years ago when I had a Palm PDA I used a really simple app that I could use for counting daily calories & tracking what items I was eating. If I didn't know the calorie count of the item the app included average calories for the items, such as a slice of bread or apple.

For now I'm not looking for a workout tracker, just an intake tracker. Ideally I'd be able to to log on Day X what my weight was, track my calorie intake, and log on Day Y what my weight was.

Calorie Counter - MyFitnessPal and Calorie Counter by FatSecret are the two that get recommended in magazines over here. Never used either though. Calorie Counter - ShapeUp Club is also mentioned frequently in my magazines and supermarket pamphlets.

Not sure if any of those are useful.

Gemma, thanks for the suggestions. (y) I was checking them out and the one by MyFitnessPal actually has solid ratings but I ended up, for now, going with the one by FatSecret (Calorie Counter by FatSecret - Apps on Google Play). The MyFitnessPal had better feedback but it seems to emphasize the social aspect of comparing status updates with friends a bit too much for me; for my purposes, I prefer to just quietly track my updates on my own (that whole stubborn male thing). I installed both but for now will start with FatSecret for a while to see how it works out. The license agreement for MyFitnesspal was one of the longest & most 'legalese' laden agreements I've seen so far of any app.

I started tracking tonight and so far the interface seems straight forward enough. Was pleasantly surprised to see the database included PF Changs, a US based Chinese restaurant chain & tonight's dinner outing.

Back