CD prices

V

verdantheart

I just saw this yesterday at IMDb news:

Will DVD Prices Be the Next to Drop?

Posing the probability of downward pressure on prices of DVDs, Universal Music Corp. said Wednesday that it will cut the wholesale prices of CDs by about a third beginning Oct. 1. The company indicated that it was taking action in an effort to respond to illegal downloading of music via the Internet, which is also becoming the preferred medium for obtaining bootleg copies of movies.

ABOUT FREAKING TIME, WOULDN'T YOU SAY?!?!?!?!?!

When CDs first came out, they promised that prices would come down once there were more production facilities, but they discovered that people would buy them at the high prices, so instead the prices just went up and up--and so did their profits (as they continued to egregiously exploit their artists . . .).

Do you think the greedy [expletive deleted]s are finally getting the message? Damn! How many thwacks with a 2x4 does it take? (Sorry for the rant, folks . . .)
^_^

Yes, and I remember them saying they'd be dropping the prices a couple of years ago, which never happened. I have noticed that new releases tend be priced fairly cheaply. Glad to hear they're finally really lowering the prices!

i am soo excited :smiley:, i know its because of ppl pirating (however you spell it) music. i want my cd's cheeper, i hate shelling out 20 bucks for each CD. I like that its going lower, i realy hope ppl buy more cd's the music industry is realy going down. BUY BUY BUY! i hope they go for 10 bucks a piece, i'll buy soo many :smiley:. Sad part about it is i don't think it will realy help, maybe a small boost but ppl will still burn.

In my Country the prize of the CD´s is Expensive (and Also DVD´s) , In Spain exists severes laws for the Copyright. The prize of a normal CD is 20 €

Okay, lets say the average teen's job pays about $7 an hour (I don't know what the average is for sure, 7 might be a little high). To buy one cd (priced at $20), you need to work for almost 3 hours. 3 hours of work for just one cd with maybe 12-13 tracks on it. NOT worth it, in my opinion. That's why so many teens are dl-ing music.

I go to this other message board where most of the posters are older, and we've been discussing music piracy, and since they're older, and have steadier jobs, it's harder for them to understand why us "kids" do such illegal things. For example, they think that the $150,000 per song fine that recording industry is suing for is fair.

well i've heard alot of people say that they're only burning illegal downloads because cd prices are so high and that they'd stop if cd prices dropped. felt like a safe statement to make i'm sure. but now that a record company is actually doing it, will people go back to buying cd's? i personally don't think so. the reason most people are burning isn't so much because of cd prices, but it's because it's free. obviously not entirely free, because they have to buy the blank cd's (though they are very cheap) and they had to have bought a computer and a cd burner. but people easily forget about the computer/burner cost and after you discount that and with the cost of blank cd's, you're almost at free. and it's more convenient. there may be a few people who will start buying cd's again, but the majority of burners out there aren't even gonna notice the drop in prices, they'll still be glued to their computer downloading the new hit songs from Kazaa or wherever.

what i think the labels need to do is step up with the copy control. more and more cd's now have copy control on them, but for some reason, not all cd's have it. i don't know why that is, but it should from now on be the rule. then no new music will ever be illegally downloaded again.
:clover: :ninja:

What's going to stop people from downloading music is all the suits being filed. Of course, even that's not working completely, as a lot of people just assume it wouldn't happen to them.

Personally, I also liked the idea of making something like Kazza subscription-based. Or I heard a rumor that record companies might set up a site where you can download songs for a couple of bucks each.

Something like that would be great for someone like me, who won't buy a cd for a single song.

Did you know that there's a percentage of blank cd sales that go to the recording industry? I don't know the exact number... but I think that's fair, considering not all blank cds are being used to record music on.

Existentialist said:
Did you know that there's a percentage of blank cd sales that go to the recording industry? I don't know the exact number... but I think that's fair, considering not all blank cds are being used to record music on.
Really? Then perhaps they shouldn't compain quite so much about people burning cds...

I dunno... I know I'm still a little bitter towards the recording industry regarding the whole lyrics thing. I know about all those copyright laws, but the lyrics sites were giving the right credit to the right people (mostly)... they weren't STEALING them or anything.

I feel the same way about studios shutting down sites that provide transcripts of television shows. It's not like they're taking credit for the work and it's a good way of catching up with the shows. I didn't realize the same thing was happening with lyric sites. :(

Yeah, there was a HUGE deal with the international lyrics server like 5 or 6 years ago.

Ugh, I know what you mean though, about the tv transcripts. How else are we supposed to catch up on episodes we missed? And summaries just don't do it something. I think they've shut down some fanfic sites too, but I can't remember for sure.

I've read a lot of stuff about the legality of fanfic, but I've never heard of any sites actually being shut down. Wouldn't be surprised, though. Sometimes I think people get a little too picky about copyright issues. I understand the fuss over downloading music, but I think it's taking it too far to complain about the lyrics.

I wonder if CD and DVD prices will EVER really go down. Just going down by $1 or $3 dollars is nothing in my opinion. I mean millions of people buy CD's for $15 to $23 dollars just because they like one song. That's not fair now is it. Now they are suing alot of people because they choose to download it(granted according to the record labels and some artists.... illegally). Why would you sue and in the process ruin the lives of those people? Smart move(sarcasm)!!!! People sue other people for nothing these days! You can't really go out the door without fear of being sued these days. WHERE IS THE HUMANITY????????????? I do not understand what all the fuss is about these copyright issues with the music. Is peer to peer filesharing really stealing? If this gets any worse would I really want to buy any more CD's again? Anyway the point of the matter is that new websites form almost every day, so when one is shut down another music site will pop up. I feel sorry for the people that are going to be sued. :( I wonder if they will sue all 6 million of them? (n)

i dont' like burning, especially artists that arn't very known. But it is other artists music, they don't accutually get paid a ton, only eminem, and ppl that sell 3 mil or more coppies of their music. i agree its stupid to buy a cd for one song, but as long as u burn as much as u buy its alright

The last two cds I bought were actually $9.99 each. Josh Kelley and Alice Peacock. Both fairly unknown singers. Only the more obscure music is that cheap though.

ppl burn because they don't always want to buy the entire album. they just want that one good song. i do it all the time. why waste my money for an entire album of "filler songs" just for one good song?? :blink: and plus the internet's got some rare songs that u cant get anywhere else...

Back