Significance of Hong Kong

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
First off, I apologize if this has been discussed before. I don't remember seeing it, but I'm probably not the first one to notice it. It's late, and I'm bored, so I thought I'd post something since this just popped into my head.

Everybody was wondering why Syd woke up in Hong Kong, considering we'd never seen her on a mission there before. (It seems like Taipei would have made more sense, since that was where she was during the Season 1 premiere and finale, and the season 2 premiere.) At first, I thought we'd never seen anybody in Hong Kong.

But it just now dawned on me that we have seen Hong Kong before, it just wasn't Sydney who was there. Irina and Jack went to Hong Kong; that's where the Rambaldi manuscript was. Remember, the one that Irina looked so excited to get ahold of? The one that she stole, leaving post-its in its place?

Is there some connection between the two, I wonder? Irina's contact in Thailand told her he'd sold the manuscript to someone in Hong Kong named Chang. But who, besides a few certain people, would really be interested in a Rambaldi manuscript? Does the Covenant have anything to do with it? Or Lazarey? It all somehow relates to Syd's disappearance, and there has to be some significance to her waking up in Hong Kong.

I'm sure someone's noticed this before, but I can't remember if we made any connections.

Actually I have never thought of that before, I have never even thought Hong Kong of being of any significance, I see where your coming from. But your speculation is so vague, there could be millions of reason why she woke up in Hong Kong.

That's very interesting...
I always wondered if there was a significance concerning Syd waking up in Hong Kong. But like you said, I couldn't remember Syd ever going on a mission there-just to Taipei. I thought someone on Alias had been there though. The only thing I could come up with was Sark, in S1: "The Coup". He gunned down that head FTL spy agency guy in front of the Tyno-Chem Engineering building in Hong Kong. Now that I think of it, at the time, he was working for "The Man", i.e. Irina.
Now that you've pointed out that Jack and Irina had a mission there as well, and to recover a Rambaldi manuscript no less, I can't help but wonder if that somehow ties in to why Syd woke up there. I wonder if Irina has something to do with that?

I'm pretty sure that Irina does have something to do with it.
;)

verdantheart said:
I'm pretty sure that Irina does have something to do with it.
;)
I believe Irina was involved in some way as well. I posted a topic awhile ago regarding the "the code and the key". When Sloane handed Syd the envelope marked "For Sydney" that contained the code and the key, it was written in Syd's handwriting. Syd didn't recognize the code but Jack did.... because he said Irina had taught the code to him. I believe Irina instructed Julia/Syd to send the envelope to Sloane because Irina knew Sloane would give it to Syd who would in turn take it to Jack (who conveniently knew the code).

I believe alot of people had a hand in Syd's missing two years.... Irina, Sloane, Sark, and..... Lauren

Sarahmañana said:
Irina is always involved ;) she's like the little kid in the back of the room with the guilty smirk on his face. ^_^
So true, Irina is the person who is always evil, and always has something to do with something bad. Like Sloane.

As for Hong Kong, there probably is a connection, if there wasn't JJ would have Syd wake up in New Jersey :lol: or Wisconson :lol:

Back