Spore!

Pietoro

Cadet
This game seems too good to be true! It looks -incredible-. Check out this demonstration video! (It's kinda long, but has lots of cool stuff)

Gameplay Only (short vid):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198

Wright's intro lecture about the future of game content (Full vid):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-775656482294094003

The best thing: other people's creatures and worlds can be downloaded into your Universe. So exploring other planets will always be something new! Sounds like lots of folks will lose their social lives with this game *cackle*

Can't wait! :smiley:

Yeah, I've been (very loosely) following this game since I heard about it. It seems cool, but since I've no idea when it's coming out, I can't really get too psyched about it.

Oh my word, I spoke too soon! Ah, hell, I'd never seen this video before and it looks so friggen' awesome! *rattles about a bit* Eii! Great, now that's another game that I'm hyped for! I need my fix! I need it!

That was oddly interesting. It would be very cool to have the housing and city structure abilities though. And apply it inside so you could furnish yer crib that way. Hj should liscense that feature and couple extensive housing and city customization to the character one and floor everyone. That would be awesome!

Like the guy said in the 'Will Wright spore Full Demo'...'players love making their own content'

Lmao! Procedural mating. classic. Definitely seems interesting.

Oh and Luciro, we can all become carebears for real in this game :P

Regarding Wright's lecture: I totally agree with him about scripted content < user content. My view, is that WoW's reliance on heavily scripted content is its biggest weakness, if not its fatal flaw. It takes huge amounts of money and time and people to keep cranking it out, and players rip right through it faster than the Devs can make more. Sandbox games, on the other hand, keep people invested more and, with the right tools, people can make their own content that they have more fun with at a MUCH more sustainable rate than a studio ever could.

Smaller companies should follow Wright's advice, and they will be able to make quality games for the masses without needing so much money and people/time.

Okay, now that I've watched both videos completely through, and looked at some of the other media out there, I will say I can see myself playing this game. A lot. I doubt it will replace my MMO fix as it look to be a single player game that allows shared player content.

The scope of it is nothing short of ambitious. Hope it lives up to that promise. The only thing that makes me a bit wary of it is the official trailer for it. It looks like an add for a kids cartoon. Might make some people pass it by as just a kids game. Although, it does have a bit of a Futurama feel to it. And it gives a good overview of the scope of the game. And they'll likely come out with some different trailers marketed towards different players at some point.

So enough of my rambling. Looks good.

People who would judge a game based soley on its graphics, deserve to miss out. :P

And fom what I've seen from the official Spore site's creature pics, you can make some pretty complex/noncutesy creatures if you want to. So if you don't like cartoony critters, just make scary ones instead. :smiley:

You guys are quite right. The original SWG was a sandbox, and that was fab. Trouble is, "the majority" disagree with this POV which is why so many games AREN'T sandboxes and why games like SWG were made to change.