Symphonic Metal

Gate

Cadet
With several music threads active lately I thought I'd dedicate a new one to my favorite genre of music: Symphonic Metal.

Essentially bands in this genre tend to have opera-trained singers (frequently female), very melodic sounds that blend perfectly with heavy drums and guitars, and professionally trained composers. They also very frequently focus on mythological and fantastical themes, telling stories rather than singing about the ubiquitous sex, drugs, and partying that other genres like to embrace. Finally, many of them hail from Scandinavia though more are now coming from elsewhere.

Nightwish
Nightwish is really the heart of the genre and is responsible for it's surge in popularity. Recently they fired their main singer, Tarja Turunen because she was becoming quite self-centered and capitalistic in her approach to music (she once cancelled a sold-out concert so she could practice for a personal project). Which is a real shame because she has an astounding voice. But, time shall tell what becomes of the band. The new singer will be announced in just a few days.

I'm lucky enough to be going to the very first concert they will have with their new singer this fall. It's going to be a nice small venue, I'm totally psyched about it.

Wishmaster
Wish I Had An Angel

Kamelot
American in origin, they are a great example of one of the bands with a operatic male singer. I'll be seeing these guys in concert in August.

March of Mephisto
The Haunting

Sonata Arctica
They draw inspiration from Nightwish, but they have a sound very much their own. Ranging from easy-going and melodic to seriously rockin' they have an astounding range of capabilities. I personally love Tony's (lead singer) accent.

Wolf and Raven (something on the harder side)
Sing In Silence (something in the middle)
- YouTube
Shamandalie (something from the softer side)
- YouTube

And finally, a few other bands in this genre that I highly recommend:
Leaves' Eyes -Video- Much of their music focuses on Nordic themes. The lead singer also puts out albums under her own name, Liv Kristine. (I'll be seeing this group in concert also)
Within Temptation -Video-
Therion -Video- They have been around for quite a long time and were really the founder of this genre, Nightwish just perfected it. They have a truly vast array of musical sounds- originally starting off as death metal and then evolving towards operatic singing and full orchestral compositions.
Epica -Video- They do a fair amount of the growling/grunting, which I don't personally like. However, much of their work doesn't have that and that portion I truly enjoy.

Me too actually.
Kind of found most of the bands while keeping up with Oteph. Good stuff, but I love metal in all of it's forms. \m/

Luciro, are you familiar with Jaxx Nightclub just outside of DC (in VA)? They have a truly impressive amount of eurometal shows and that's where I'm seeing all the shows. I haven't been there yet, but I hear it has a good reputation and gets quite alot of big names for its size.

930 club mostly for me but I've heard of it. Haven't had time to hit up any bills tho'. I shall keep an eye out tho.

Glad you enjoy them!
I'm always surprised how some of these bands are so well known around the world, but not in the US or the UK. In terms of musical evolution the world is leaving the Brits and Americans behind. Our record companies want to go with garage bands that they can bring to the spotlight, make a buck off of and then throw away, instead of well trained bands with lasting commitments. It means that we hear mostly more of the same while other music scenes are evolving.

Update:
I've gone back into the original post and put in video links some of the other bands that I had mentioned.

Just to prove America's not falling behind, it just can't handle face melting...

I present to all.

The greatest of all time.. Weirdest too.

THE ALMIGHTY BUCKETHEAD!

Sure it's easy to pick on the guy. He break dances, shows off mad nunchucku skills, and communicates with those he doesn't know very well with a severed latex head via his hand. All the while wearing a mask and a KFC bucket on his head. People call it gimmick, but I truly think he's insane. Still the greatest of all time tho'.

With several music threads active lately I thought I'd dedicate a new one to my favorite genre of music: Symphonic Metal.

Essentially bands in this genre tend to have opera-trained singers (frequently female), very melodic sounds that blend perfectly with heavy drums and guitars, and professionally trained composers. They also very frequently focus on mythological and fantastical themes, telling stories rather than singing about the ubiquitous sex, drugs, and partying that other genres like to embrace. Finally, many of them hail from Scandinavia though more are now coming from elsewhere.

Nightwish
Nightwish is really the heart of the genre and is responsible for it's surge in popularity. Recently they fired their main singer, Tarja Turunen because she was becoming quite self-centered and capitalistic in her approach to music (she once cancelled a sold-out concert so she could practice for a personal project). Which is a real shame because she has an astounding voice. But, time shall tell what becomes of the band. The new singer will be announced in just a few days.

I'm lucky enough to be going to the very first concert they will have with their new singer this fall. It's going to be a nice small venue, I'm totally psyched about it.

Wishmaster
Wish I Had An Angel

Kamelot
American in origin, they are a great example of one of the bands with a operatic male singer. I'll be seeing these guys in concert in August.

March of Mephisto
The Haunting

Sonata Arctica
They draw inspiration from Nightwish, but they have a sound very much their own. Ranging from easy-going and melodic to seriously rockin' they have an astounding range of capabilities. I personally love Tony's (lead singer) accent.

Wolf and Raven (something on the harder side)
Sing In Silence (something in the middle)
- YouTube
Shamandalie (something from the softer side)
- YouTube

And finally, a few other bands in this genre that I highly recommend:
Leaves' Eyes -Video- Much of their music focuses on Nordic themes. The lead singer also puts out albums under her own name, Liv Kristine. (I'll be seeing this group in concert also)
Within Temptation -Video-
Therion -Video- They have been around for quite a long time and were really the founder of this genre, Nightwish just perfected it. They have a truly vast array of musical sounds- originally starting off as death metal and then evolving towards operatic singing and full orchestral compositions.
Epica -Video- They do a fair amount of the growling/grunting, which I don't personally like. However, much of their work doesn't have that and that portion I truly enjoy.

Speaking of Nightwish's Wishmaster:

Wishmaster - The Misheard Lyrics

A friend gave me a couple of Sonata Arctica songs to listen to nearly a year ago (Wolf and Raven and Gravenimage). I like them when I'm in the mood for it, so I'll check out these other songs/groups (listening to Sing in Silence at the moment and I'm liking it).

I just went to a Kamelot / Leaves' Eyes concert on friday.
Oh my god was that ever intense! Leaves' Eyes unfortunately had some airport issues so they were playing with some borrowed equipment, but they did as best as they could. But Kamelot. They were in full form and played for about 2 and a half hours. They got the crowd whipped up, had a great light/effects setup played/sang perfectly- They sounded even better in concert than on cd. The lead singer Roy looked like he was about to pass out at the end of it- he puts everything he has into his singing and the results are damn impressive.
All to a crowd of less than 400 people at Jaxx nightclub- so it was nice and intimate. I really can't imagine a more perfect concert experience- I can't recommend both Jaxx (if you are in the northern VA/MD/DC area) and the group highly enough!

Back