TV Gal Picks Alias as #1

Heres this weeks TV Gal from zap2it.com
alias is #1

TV Gal Narrows the Best TV Down to 10 Shows
(Monday, December 15 06:02 AM)
By Amy Amatangelo

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) - - I'm sure this has happened to you.

You're at a party and someone somewhere announces that there is nothing good on television. And with the plethora of cable channels available today, there is plenty on television not to like. For every "Amazing Race," there's "Fear Factor." For every "Scrubs," there's "The Mullets." For every "Without a Trace," there's "Hack." But television is like any entertainment medium. There will always be good plays and bad plays. Good movies and bad movies. Good music and bad music. The difference is that television comes directly into your home and therefore the medium is ripe for the picking.

But we here at Team TV Gal know that there's plenty to watch on television. In fact there's so much to watch that for my Top 10 list I stuck to shows on network television (Cable shows don't have to play by the same rules so they will get their own separate list) that are still currently on the air (what's the point of recommending a show you can't watch anymore, why torture you?).

Here are my Top 10 shows for 2003:
1. "Alias": Oh, pipe down. You know I think this gripping series hasn't lost any of its oomph in its third season. Plus, who would have thought that Vaughn and Jack could become their own comedy act? Victor Garber is quietly hilariously (announcing that he only wears his glasses when he performs surgery) and fiercely protective ("I will not allow my daughter to become your mistress.") So take that sense of disbelief (sure Syd can come back from a two-year amnesia and get right back to work? Of course, Francie could be doubled. Why do you look so surprised?) and chuck it right out the window. "Alias" is the most fun, most deliciously entertaining, best escapist drama out there. How do I know? The Rambaldi document told me so.

2. "Scrubs": This offbeat and often surprisingly poignant show is unlike any sitcom on television. There's no annoying laugh track, no live studio audience, and no mugging for the camera after a particularly witty line. In fact, it's only because I'm always laughing so hard that I know this is a comedy.

3. "24": We're in the midst of the third longest day of Jack Bauer's life. In and of itself, this is a major accomplishment -- who would have thought this premise could have been pulled off once, let alone three times. "24" has given viewers memorable characters (raise your hand if you still miss Nina) and fabulous jaw-dropping plot twists that even twist in on themselves (Gael is a double-double agent, you gotta love that). We all agree that the limitations of the show's design -- playing out each episode in real time -- can lead to some real problems. (Tony checking himself out of the hospital and dragging himself back to CTU in the matter of minutes come to mind.) But despite its faults (or perhaps because the faults are so much fun to relentlessly mock),"24" has remained a heart-stopping drama.

4. "The O.C.": What can you say about a show that single-handedly saved the prime time soap opera? Um, you can say it totally rocks. And sure you can thank me for making you watch. The show has made new words fun (can I take a yogalates class?), provided us with great and very important debate topics (Who is cuter Seth or Ryan? Who should Seth date? Is it really possible that Mischa Barton is only 17 in real life? Because if Neutrogena makes you look that old, I'm never buying it), and given this lackluster television season some serious zing. Sure there's still a lot here that we've seen before. But, as I always say, television clichis work if you are invested in the characters and care about what's happening to them. And as I told you back in August, I'm so invested in "The O.C." I wish I could buy stock in it (hmmm ... perhaps that's what I should ask for this Christmukkah).

5. "Everybody Loves Raymond": The only traditional four-camera comedy that is consistently and overwhelmingly funny -- every time. Whenever I write about my love for the Barone family, at least one reader writes me and asks, "Do you really like this show?" Yes, I really do, and I have since the very beginning.

6. "Arrested Development": The best new comedy this season with one of the best casts. Read my column from Nov. 13 to find out why. Extra bonus points for casting Liza Minnelli and allowing the actress to prove that she can still be hilarious. Isn't it so much better to laugh at her fictional character than at the break-up of her tragically bizarre marriage?

7. "The Bernie Mac Show": America, I love the Mac man and his family. In many other family comedies, children are often used for the punch line (think "According to Jim") or rarely seen (think "Everybody Loves Raymond"). On "Bernie Mac," they are fully developed characters who are often rewarded with their own plot lines. The series' often harsh look at parenting would be off-putting if it wasn't constantly underscored with love. Whether Bernie is building a tree house, canceling Christmas, or supporting Jordan's foray into rhythmic gymnastics, the message is always pretty simple -- being a parent is hard, you have to be flexible and take it one day at a time.

8. "Everwood": This fabulous series is proof that you don't need to be "7th Heaven" to have a show parents can watch with their kids. "Everwood" is a pure delight.

"Without a Trace": I'll go ahead and say this right here, right now. "Without a Trace" is without a doubt the best episodic crime drama on television. Last year, this Thursday night drama gave us the first real reason not to check into the "ER" and has been going strong ever since. The show combines compelling situations (the cases don't always end happily or predictably) and characters without the flippant dialogue that plagues shows like "Law & Order" and "CSI." But the No. 1 reason you should be watching is Anthony LaPaglia. As the commanding leader of the FBI Missing Persons Squad, LaPaglia, who so deserves an Emmy nomination, brings depth and resonance to his man-in-charge character.

10. "Angel": How can I not reward a show that pulled off the best surprise of the season? Sure the show has had its struggles (what could they do with Connor but erase him from everyone's memory) and, yes, I've had my complaints (I know I haven't been nice to Eve), but now that Angel and his gaggle of demon-fighting comrades are keeping their enemies closer, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Honorable Mentions

Show that Should Be on This List: In what I will always remember as the strangest move NBC ever pulled, "Boomtown" was brought back with oodles of fanfare about the casting of Vanessa Williams, only to be placed permanently on hiatus after two airings. But just when we thought our chance had passed, NBC went and saved the best for last. NBC brings "Boomtown" back on Dec. 27 and 28 to air the four remaining episodes. Too bad this wonderful drama is getting a send-off during the holiday week, when even the TV Gal isn't watching much TV.

Shows That I'll Always Love: "NYPD Blue." Oh my darlings in the 15th precinct, just because you're not on this list doesn't mean I don't still love you. I simply had to make room for some of the new kids. And don't fret, my "Gilmore Girls." I still love ya, but you had a shaky start this season and I had to make some tough decisions.

Which shows do you think are the ten best on television? Talk about it on the TV Gal Message Board.

Quotes of the Week

"If I were 30 years older and you were 30 years younger ... and a man." Jack to Grace's mom discussing how they could be a couple on "Will & Grace." Thanks to TV Gal reader Jeff for the quote.

"I guess you can say I've always been a bit more Screech than Zack." Mark on "Ed." Thanks to TV Gal reader Ken for the quote.

"I wanted to be the most hated Survivor of all time." Jon during the live reunion of "Survivor: Pearl Islands." Well then Jon, good work by you. Consider that a mission accomplished.

Where Have I Seen Them Before?

Lisa Edelstein was the missing doctor on "Without a Trace." Among her many television roles, she was the shy sister that Alan slept with on "The Practice" this season. She was also the transsexual Mark fell for on "Ally McBeal." Thanks to TV Gal readers Terry and Randy for being the first to for recognize this familiar face.

Eric Lutes, Del on "Caroline in the City," was the ex-husband on "Without a Trace."

Also I'm sure you recognized Sara Gilbert, the fabulous Darlene on "Roseanne," as the No. 1 fanilow on "Will & Grace." You'll also remember that Gilbert was the doomed Paula last season on "24." Chris Penn, seen this season on "The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire," was the road manager who hit on Will.

Don Stark, Donna's dad on "That '70s Show," was the singer's manager on "CSI." We also saw Stark on "NYPD Blue" this season. Tricia O'Kelley was the second wife of Roger Dunbar on "CSI." She currently plays Luke's wife Nicole on "Gilmore Girls."

Daniel Dae Kim is the lawyer opposing Nick and Kate in court on Lauren's case in "Miss Match." Kim was Agent Tom Baker last season on "24," Gavin on "Angel," and this season he's also been playing the new social worker on "ER."

To the TV Gal Reader Belongs the Spoils

Oh, my little friends, you know the rules. Don't read if you don't want to know.

Here's a little ditty about Jake and Diane. Looks they'll finally kiss when she saves him from a bad case of amnesia on "Jake 2.0."

Nick is not a saint right after the holiday season. He'll confess to Lulu that he's been having an affair on "The Guardian." After she leaves him, he'll get high on a new hallucinogenic drug.

You can look for Gina Torres, Jasmine on "Angel" and Zoe on "Firefly," on "24." She'll play the wife of a donor to President Palmer's campaign. Also Kathleen Wilhoite will play Luke's sister and Jess's mom on "Gilmore Girls."

Cheech Martin guest stars as Maxine's new gardener (read: love interest) on "Judging Amy." We'll meet him on Jan. 6.

Highlights of the Week Ahead
All times listed are Eastern Standard Time for the week of Dec. 15 to 21

Nathan Fillion, Caleb on "Buffy" and Mal on "Firefly," guest stars as Lauren's ex-husband on "Miss Match" (Monday, NBC, 10 p.m.). This special episode, intended to give the struggling dramedy more exposure, also features Tareq Kabir, one of the Average Joes.

Madchen Amick, Shelly on "Twin Peaks" and Christopher's girlfriend on "Gilmore Girls" (will we ever see them again?), guest stars on "Ed" (Wednesday, NBC, 8 p.m.) as the woman who will try her darndest to tempt Ed away from Carol.

Lee Majors, the six million dollar man (which honestly wouldn't buy much these days), guest stars on "Jake 2.0" (Wednesday, UPN, 9 p.m.). He'll play an NSC operative who comes out of retirement to help our favorite nanite-infested boy.

Look for Alicia Silverstone to be one of the early risers to announce the Golden Globe nominations Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. on E! The Golden Globes air Jan. 25 on NBC.

That's all for today. I'll be back next week with my list of the best of everything television. And coming Jan. 5, the quotes of the year -- so send in your nominations now. Have question, seen a familiar face, have an inside scoop or want to nominate a quote of the week? Write me at amytvgal@zap2it.com by clicking on my byline at the top of my column.

I love the Alias commentary! So true. And #1 where it belongs. I also love Scrubs and Without a Trace which both are mentioned.

Thanks for the news.. Moving it to Alias News and editing topic title to be more specific :smiley:

I hope TV Gal is a part of the Academy :P

Back