Required Reading for School

For the high school I'm going to, we have to read three books over summer:

Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Giver by Lios Lowry
Edith Hamilton's Mythology

^those are the books required for all incoming 9th graders. has anyone read any of those besides The Giver? What are they about?

I haven't read any of those, but I've picked up Mythology once or twice, and it looks pretty interesting, I just didn't have the patience to start it. ^_^

I have no required reading for school, but I'm still going to attempt to read You Can't Go Home Again. :smiley:

I read two of those books for school!! woah! what a coincidence! haha i HATE animal farm... omg... it was the stupidest... boringest... useless.. piece of felgercarb! and The Giver! COME ON! Everyone's read the Giver!!!!! :lol:

nance said:
I read two of those books for school!! woah! what a coincidence! haha i HATE animal farm... omg... it was the stupidest... boringest... useless.. piece of felgercarb! and The Giver! COME ON! Everyone's read the Giver!!!!! :lol:
lol...i know. and some classes in 6th grade are required to read The Giver...what's animal farm about anyways? is it really that bad?

nance said:
it's about pigs taking over a farm....
pigs taking over a farm?!?!?! how long is it? how long is Mythology? Grrr...I hope it isn't like this one book we had to read this year, "The Killer Angels." It was about the Civil War and it was soooo boring. It took forever to read, and once you read it, it was so boring that you forgot what you had just read. Everyone who had to read it (about 150-200 kids) hated it. We were all celebrating when we finished reading the book...please tell me Animal Farm and Mythology isn't like that...

We were suppose to read animal farm in the 7th grade. Then there was a problem with ordering a class set of books so we read The Outsiders instead and Holes...a book I read in 4th grade!!! You should see the list of books I have to read over the summer, its just scarie.

Required books that incoming 9th graders are supposed to read over the summer....

~Things Fall Apart...by Chinua Achebe
~Fahrenheit 451...Ray Bradbury
~The Chocolate War...Robert Cornier
~Great Expectations...Charles Dickens
~The Old Man and the Sea...Ernest Hemingway
~The Odyssey of Homer...Homer
~The Catcher in the Rye...J.D Salinger
~Julius Caesar...Shakespear

8 books!!! Actually theres more but my mentor (we were paried up with mentors during orientation day) said that we won't read 1/2 the books *-ed...and there are most books listed that aren't stared. And occasionnally if u have a meano english teacher then you'll end up reading the books that weren't *-ed on the list. ::crosses fingers for To Kill A Mockingbird::...I wrote two 5 page essays for the book this year...revamping!!!

Great Expectations ::sigh:: I loved that!

Let me tell you every year...lol...just for fun!
before 7th~ Where the Red Ferns grow (packet and project)
8th~Watership Down(packet and 3 projects)
9th~The Giver (a scrapbook I spent forever on and got a D!!!!!)
~Cry the Beloved Country (big folder of junk to do!)
10th~My Antonia (journal and essay)
~All Quiet on the Western Front (journal and essay)
11th~find a group, pick an author, read two books of theirs and do book report for each!! (Hurray!)
My group is reading Anne Tyler...

Fahrenheit 451 is supposed to be excellent, but I've never read it (I did see the back of Ray Bradbury's head, though. :lol:smiley:

and I started The Chocolate War a really long time ago, but I just couldn't get into it. ^_^

I wish I had assigned reading. it would give me something to do. :D

a.k.a.Kate_Jones said:
Fahrenheit 451 is supposed to be excellent, but I've never read it (I did see the back of Ray Bradbury's head, though. :lol:smiley:

and I started The Chocolate War a really long time ago, but I just couldn't get into it. ^_^

I wish I had assigned reading. it would give me something to do. :D
I've read Fahrenheit 451, and part of it is interesting and part of it is boring, so it isnt too bad...i cant believe you want assigned reading. usually, the books suck! anyways, here's my reading list for 10-12th grades...my 9th grade list is ^, and they gave us the other grades assigned reading waaaay in advance.

10th
Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatuski Houston
Anthem by Ayn Rand
Night by Eli Weisel

11th
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (*shudders* i hate most of Twain's work...I am NOT looking forward to this)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hing Kingston

12th
The Bean Trees by B. Kingsolver
Endurance by Alfred Lansing
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya

Anyone read those books? How are they?

okay, so most of the books are hideously boring. but at least I would have something to counter the inevitable summer boredom. :D

so I made a list of all these books I want to read. and I've already crossed off three! *yay* :lol:

VaughnFan13 said:
nance said:
it's about pigs taking over a farm....
pigs taking over a farm?!?!?! how long is it? how long is Mythology? Grrr...I hope it isn't like this one book we had to read this year, "The Killer Angels." It was about the Civil War and it was soooo boring. It took forever to read, and once you read it, it was so boring that you forgot what you had just read. Everyone who had to read it (about 150-200 kids) hated it. We were all celebrating when we finished reading the book...please tell me Animal Farm and Mythology isn't like that...
it's like... a...not mythology... it's horrible! it's felgercarb! asoias;gh;aslghas omg... i wasted sooo much time reading this stupid book! it's like 165 pages ugh!

and omg!!!!!!! Night... we read that this year! sooo depressing :( but such a powerful story!

VaughnFan13 said:
10th
Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatuski Houston
Anthem by Ayn Rand
Night by Eli Weisel

11th
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (*shudders* i hate most of Twain's work...I am NOT looking forward to this)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hing Kingston

12th
The Bean Trees by B. Kingsolver
Endurance by Alfred Lansing
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya

Anyone read those books? How are they?
Let's see.....
Night was an excellent book! But we actually reaed it in 8th grade, so it would be kind of easy reading...but doesn't change the idea of it...great!
Huck Finn was interesting....especially if you like satire. Lots of dark examples....but overall interesting story. We did "Huck dialect" b/c some of it was so difficult
Bean Tree....never read it, but considering it's Barbara Kingsolver, it should be good!

We never get summer reading lists... I wish we did though, it would give me more book ideas. Maybe I'll read all of yours with you. ^_^ We just read books in class, but the High School has required reading- but not over the summer. I'm doing their books though, things like To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies. All that good stuff.

VF13- my brother read Animal Farm last year for school, he said it was supposed to signify the Russian Revolution or something like that, and he said it was really good. And he is NOT a reader, so I don't know. I never read it. It's funny though, everyone on here has read The Giver, but I'm the only one in my school who has even heard of it, my brother read it a few years ago for a school project and I stole it from him- I love that book!

Then visit the Giver thread....no one has posted in a while!!! lol

But Animal Farm was good.....we researched the Russian Revolution at the same time for class, and it is representative of it. I could bore you to death with what I know, but I'll spare you the dullness of it (LOL...even though I liked it!)

Back