The Beginning

Sure can Stephy! It turns out that it will actually be a few more than 2. I realized that the ending won't turn out as well as I wanted it so I split the chapters into shorter ones.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A New Life</span>

Despite the fact it’s only been 3 years, the memory still runs as vivid as the day I took my father’s life—a simple reminder of why we are here.

Our home was nearly burnt to the ground by the time we came back from the marketplace. We had told the authorities that he most likely had fallen asleep with a cigar in his hand and a bottle of vodka in the other; basically claiming that he nearly burned down a couch one before because of his careless actions.

Who wouldn’t believe 4 innocent women?

In reality, I made the decision to burn the house down and everything in it – no incriminating evidence -- nothing. We had only what we needed and that was each other and the clothes on our backs…we refused to take anything with us that could remind us of our horrendous past

Thus a new life had now begun for the Derevko women in the heart of Moscow. Mama had a receptionist job with the KGB and my sisters and I went to one of the best schools in the country.

~*~*~*~*~

“Elena!” Irina screamed at the bottom of the stairs, “We are going to be late!!”

Katya leaned against the doorway of their apartment, eating an apple and completely oblivious to her surroundings. Elena finally came charging down the stairs with her backpack in tow.

“Is that my favorite sweater?!” Irina’s eyes nearly popped out of her head. “It doesn’t even fit you!”

“I got it out of Katya’s closet.” Elena claimed, swinging the backpack over her shoulder and giving her best “I’m innocent” look to Irina.

Irina turned and glared at her sister.

“What?” Katya eyes met her sister.

“I really don’t have time for this.” Irina rolled her eyes and pushed everyone out the door. In the corner of her eyes she caught a glimpse of Katya and Elena “high-fiving” one another.

The bus ride to school had seemed shorter than usual and as they unloaded the bus and parted their ways, Irina caught a glimpse of a raven perched on a nearby tree. Giving the raven one last glance, she made her way into her classroom.

“Okay class, settle down!” The teacher tapped a stack of papers on her desk. “We need to get started.”

Irina gave a puzzled look to her friend who was putting her hair up in a ponytail.

“Don’t tell me you forgot!” her friend whispered as she leaned over towards Irina. “But you know what? It won’t matter, ‘cause you don’t ever study for anything anyways.”

Irina smirked. “So?”

“People like you make it look so easy.” Her friend stuck out her tongue, before catching a scolding look from the teacher.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Ugh! That test was horrible.”

Irina shrugged her shoulders, “I dunno Marina, I thought it was it was just another waste of time. Frankly, I think they are looking for something.”

Marina pulled her light brown hair back into a ponytail, “Besides a bunch of crazy teenagers?” She motioned Irina to follow her to the school lunchroom. “If that were the case they would have called me up a long time ago.”

Her friend stopped walking.

“Hey!” she ran down the hall and jumped into the arms of a guy. Most of their conversation involved indistinct conversation that Irina was too tired to eavesdrop on. “Irina!” Marina yelled from the other end of the hallway. “I want you to meet my new boyfriend!!!”

“Another one?!” Irina teased as she walked towards them.

But then it dawned to Irina, as she came closer, that there was something familiar about that young man.

Marina put her arm around him, “Irina, I want you to meet my boyfriend Mikhail Palvoki.”

burn the bastard! :P

great chap crys (i typed irina first i lthen i look at it am like wtf) so one more chap eh?? u wont get rid of us so easily it better b a LONG ASS chapter :P

it's that rambaldi dude!!! what's he doing there?

i was gonna say something else... oh yeah. Irina was part of the Russian project Chrismas? well, sorta. with the tests.

amisha
xxx

aaaaaaaah that was great!

wait, is that the guy that took her in when she was lost???

:thud:

wow!

and SHE'S GONNA BE DRAFTED FOR THE KGB! cuz of the tests! she's so SMAAAAAAAART :D (y)

love it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Beth! 🍦

LOL...thanks for the comments everyone.

Yes Mikhail Palvoki was the guy who took her in when she "ran away" from home or as Amisha called him "Rambaldi dude".

The tests are for the recruitment for the KGB, but its not as simple as it seems. ;)

Wait, tests? I confuzzle... Damn, I feel like I in English class talking about a book I didn't read (coughATaleOfTwoCitiescough) again!

Don't take that as an insult though, I really like it, and I read all of it, I swear! I understand the Rambaldi dude, I just totally missed the tests. Like, completely. Probably blatently obvious and I'm just losing my mind, but hey, whatever.

Well after much hesitation, I've finally decided to post my first comment on Crys's most illustrious and prodigious fan fic. So here it is:

Irina rocks!

~X~

Back