A Helping Hand

Chapter 36
For the next few weeks, things went absolutely perfect for Sydney and Michael. Michael was getting better and better each day and soon his pneumonia was almost entirely gone; all he was left with was an occasional cough, which was fading by the day. Once kissing Michael no longer came with risk of contamination (in Michael’s words), Sydney and Michael had difficulty keeping themselves separated from one another. Unfortunately, due to this fact, they were caught kissing by Grace many times, the first of which was very awkward for all parties involved.

It was just a normal Wednesday afternoon for their almost-family. The trio was taking a look at an educational special on TV for Grace. Of course, Grace was the least interested of all of them, so she slipped off to go and focus her attention on Santa. Noticing that she was gone, Michael decided to liven up the situation by focusing his attention on Sydney’s lips.

As the kissing duo became enthralled with each other, they forgot about the pair of curious seven-year-old eyes in the room. It was not until they had been kissing for quite some time when they noticed Grace standing across from them, Santa in her arms. “How do you breathe like that?!” she asked with utmost curiosity.

Sydney blushed furiously and decided to stay silent while Michael fielded that question. “Well, um…we breathe,” Michael managed though he too was blushing.

“That’s weird,” Grace said simply. Then she walked back into the kitchen with Santa without another word.

Once she was gone, Sydney and Michael looked at each other nervously and exchanged soft laughs. “Somehow, I think I’m glad she has that opinion. Hopefully she’ll keep it for the next twenty years,” Michael grumbled.

Sydney laughed loudly. “Oh you wish. I can’t wait to see how you handle Grace’s first date-”

“Shhhhh!” Michael cut her off before she even finished the last word. “That will never happen. She won’t date; she’ll reverse growth and stay an infant forever.”

Sydney laughed once more. “You go ahead and think that,” she said with a very patronizing pat of Michael’s cheek.

Despite some awkward moments with Grace observing his kissing activities with Sydney, Michael was happier than he had ever been. Taking Sydney’s advice, he decided to quit his job as a janitor in pursuit of things he actually enjoyed. Though he hated to admit it, Sydney had finally wore down his pride enough so that he was willing to accept her financial help while he did a little soul-searching.

He never had been happy as a janitor or as a construction worker, which was his previous job. One thing he truly wanted to do was somehow work in the food industry, but with Grace to support it was just too much of a risk; he needed a steady income, not something he might be successful at on a whim. But with Sydney taking care of their support (temporarily), he could afford to go to cooking school and at least check out that career path. There would always be another janitorial or construction position if need be. He had hope, though, that he would be able to succeed in the food industry and then be making money to support Grace once more. He knew he would never be able to pull in a salary even half of what Sydney made (which he could only guess was in the mid-six figure range if not higher), but that was something he would just have to live with.

While still recovering fully, he browsed the internet for culinary schools in New York City. Of course, there were many of those, but he was looking for ones specializing in pastries and deserts, and also those that would be having sessions starting in the early summer. After a significant amount of searching and research, Michael chose the school he wished to enroll in and, luckily, he had enough money to pay for the summer’s tuition, which meant he did not need to worry about leaning on Sydney, at least not for that.

April slowly faded into May and Michael found himself growing increasingly bored during the days. Suddenly he wished he had not quit his janitorial job simply because he was going stir-crazy without any work to do. His classes did not start until the last week in May, which left him plenty of time to do…well, nothing. He did begin taking Grace to and from school every day, though. To take up time, he would walk to her school; it was far, but not that far, and walking ate up a good hour of his time.

As the school year was drawing to a close, Grace became increasingly more excited about that summer, which she insisted would be the best ever. Michael and Sydney heartily agreed on this point. It was going to be the best summer for all of them, especially since they could spend it together.

One evening during the middle of May, Grace was getting ready for bed while Sydney waited to tuck her in. “My friend from school -- Hannah – she told me today that she’s gonna have a baby brother soon,” Grace told her as she pulled on her lemon yellow colored pajamas that were covered in daises.

“Oh yeah? Well that’ll be nice for Hannah,” Sydney smiled at her.

“Yeah, I hope I get a baby brother someday…or maybe a sister,” Grace said before clambering up onto her bed and pulling back the covers, sending a few stuffed animals sprawling out of the way.

“Yeah? You’d like a little sibling?” Sydney asked.

“Oh yeah, not too many though. My friend Kate has three older brothers and one younger sister – that’s too many,” Grace grimaced.

“I agree,” Sydney grimaced as well.

“Do you wanna have kids Sydney?” Grace asked.

“Yep,” Sydney nodded as she began to rearrange the stuffed animals and pull the covers up around Grace.

“You gonna have them with my Dad?” she asked.

Sydney smiled softly as she sat down on the edge of the bed. “Well I don’t know…maybe. We’ll have to see.”

“I think you should…’cause then you’d be my mom too, right?” Grace asked through a yawn.

“Yeah, I would,” Sydney said softly. She already felt so much like a mother to Grace, even if they were technically united as a family she could not see very much changing; she already loved Grace more than anything.

“I’d like that; you’d be a good mom,” Grace told her.

“Thank you sweetie,” Sydney said, fighting the tears that were beginning to pool in her eyes. “Goodnight; sleep well now,” She said before kissing Grace’s forehead gently.

Unbeknownst to either of them, Michael was standing outside Grace’s bedroom door and had heard their entire conversation. A smile across his face, he hurried downstairs so that he would not be caught eavesdropping by Sydney. He plopped himself down on the couch only a minute before Sydney walked into the kitchen and called out to him that she was taking Santa for her walk.

While she was gone, Michael thought about what his daughter had said. She whole-heartedly approved of Sydney as a motherly figure. Of course, this was far from surprising, but it was very comforting to hear Grace admit it aloud. As a parent, one did what they thought was right, but it was always nice to have confirmation that one’s actions had been the right thing to do.

“You know, walking Santa is much nicer now that it’s warm outside,” Sydney laughed softly when she returned to the couch and sat beside Michael.

“Yeah,” he smiled at her.

“What’s with you? You look…I dunno,” she gave him a questioning look with a furrowed brow.

“Nothing’s wrong, I’m just happy,” he said simply. Then, he slipped his arms around her waist and pulled her body right up against his. She let out a soft giggle as they began to kiss. Immediately, Sydney noticed that this kiss was much different than all the others. Pulling back, she gave him a questioning look.

“Well, um,” he croaked nervously. “I was thinking that maybe we could, um…”

“Speed things up a little?” Sydney offered.

“Yeah, that’s it,” he laughed softly before kissing her once more. After a moment’s kissing, Sydney broke their kiss once more. Instead of giving him a questioning look, though, she smiled, took his hand and led him through the kitchen and into the foyer.

Once upstairs and safely behind Sydney’s bedroom door, they resumed their kisses. Sydney noticed that that time, Michael seemed to be much more hesitant about initiating the removal of their clothes. Of course, this really wasn’t a fair comparison since the previous time they had both been very eager, but it still made her wonder. “What’s the matter?” she asked breathlessly.

“Nothing…I’m just…well, I guess I’m a little nervous,” he admitted shyly.

“Why? We have before…”

“I know, but this time it’s not just…it means something – not that last time didn’t mean anything but…but this is going to continue to mean something…I’m not making any sense…I’m crazy,” he laughed slightly, feeling embarrassed and yet thankful that the room was dark, so she could not see his blushing.

“No, you are making sense. I guess that makes me just as crazy as you,” she laughed softly.

“I guess so,” he laughed as well.

Sydney momentarily stepped away from him to switch on the lamp by her bedside on its lowest setting. Then, she returned to Michael’s arms, locked hers around his neck and looked him directly in the eye. “I love you,” she said softly.

“I love you,” he repeated before bringing his lips down to hers.

I know it's been a long time since i last reviewed but i had computer problems, which is now fixed so now i can make reviews. ^^

Anyway, Grace is soo adorable.

It seems that everyone's wish that Grace ask for a little brother or sister is getting their wish. Even Michael and Sydney are starting to think it.

I also noticed that it doesn't bother Michael that Sydney earns so much more money than he does. That's good!

Chris

Chapter 37
The next morning when Michael opened his eyes, he was met by the beautiful sight of Sydney asleep beside him. Her hair was half covering her eyes and she was snoring softly, obviously deep in slumber. Michael gently brushed her hair back from her face and admired her lovingly. That was until he noticed a most unfortunate sight.

Standing at the end of Sydney’s oversized bed was Grace, her chin resting on the fluffy white comforter, watching the two adults sleep. Michael broke into a cold sweat as he horrifically realized that he had forgotten to put his boxers back on before falling asleep; they were beside the bed on the floor along with all of Sydney’s undergarments. Swallowing hard with horror, he tightly pulled the blanket up to his chin before hissing, “What are you doing?” to his daughter.

She shrugged and whispered to him, “I woke up and I was hungry so I came to find you.”

“Well go downstairs and wait for me; I’ll be right there,” he said to her. Grace nodded with a smile and ran out of the bedroom. Once she was gone, Michael flopped back against his pillow and sighed heavily with relief. He definitely needed to have a serious talk with his daughter about the appropriateness of barging into people’s bedrooms unannounced. This was both common courtesy and a way to keep her from seeing something very scarring – for both of them.

After pulling on his clothes, Michael left Sydney still asleep in bed and went down to have a talk with his daughter that he was not looking forward to at all. He found Grace seated at the kitchen table looking hungrily towards the refrigerator. “Can we have pancakes?” she asked as soon as he appeared.

“Sure honey,” he said before walking over to the refrigerator to pull out the necessary ingredients.

“Daddy can I ask you a question?” Grace asked. Michael nodded encouragingly, though he somewhat dreaded whatever her little mind would come up with. “How comes you sleep in the same bed as Sydney?”

“Well, for the same reason married people sleep in the same bed as each other. It’s nice to sleep beside the person you love so that you can feel close to them and be with them when they’re most vulnerable,” he explained.

“Don’t you kick each other?” she asked curiously.

Michael laughed softly. “No, not usually. But Grace, you know you can’t just walk into Sydney’s bedroom if the door is closed. From now on you have to knock and wait for one of us to respond – unless it’s an emergency.”

“What’s an emergency?” she asked.

“Well, if there’s a fire or the alarm system goes off,” he told her.

“Okay…but how comes you come in my room when the door’s closed and you don’t knock?” she asked.

“Well, because I’m your dad and as much as you don’t like to hear it, you’re still young. When you get older, I’ll make sure to knock. People’s bedrooms are their private, personal areas, so that’s why it’s always courteous to knock,” he explained. He was desperately tiring to convey the importance of knocking to her without stating the true reasoning which was, of course, that sometimes parents “hugged” each other in private and did not wish to be disturbed during those times.

“Okay…are you gonna sleep in Sydney’s room every night now?” she asked.

“I’m not sure yet…why?” he asked.

“Well I gotta know where to find you incase there’s an emergency!” Grace exclaimed exasperatedly.

Michael laughed softly at this. “I’ll tell ya what. If you come out of your room and my bedroom door is open that means I’m with Sydney, but if it’s closed I’m not. Easy enough?”

“Yep,” she smiled.

“Good,” he smiled back before focusing his attention on their pancakes.

Just as the pancakes were finishing cooking, Sydney appeared in the kitchen clad in her ivory robe looking very sleepy. “Mm smells good,” she commented as she walked around behind Michael and put her arms around his waist. “Thanks for making breakfast,” she smiled at him.

“Of course. I gotta practice for school next week,” he smiled back at her.

“You guys are gross,” Grace commented at the adult’s gooey-eyed expressions. Both Michael and Sydney laughed softly at this before joining Grace at the table.

Half way through their meal, Grace set down her fork and looked curiously up at her father. “I gots another question. You said that people who love each other sleep in the same bed – I get that, but why do ya gotta sleep without your pajamas? Is that a rule or somethin’?”

At this, Sydney choked painfully on her cup of coffee and Michael felt his face growing very hot. “N-no,” Michael croaked. “It’s not a rule it…it was just rather warm last night,” he mumbled weakly.

“Oh. Sam says his parents hug each other without clothes on. Do you do that too?” she asked curiously.

Sydney whimpered inwardly as she felt the extreme urge to crawl under the table. As she did this, Michael shifted uncomfortably and cleared his throat loudly. “Well, um…some parents do that, but you know Sam really shouldn’t talk about that because it’s private,” he told her.

“Okay, I’ll tell him that next time he talks ‘bout it,” Grace said before continuing to eat her pancakes. Once she was finished, she slid off of her seat and bounced into the other room to play with Santa (since she was house trained, she was no longer gated into the kitchen area and had taken up residence on one of the chairs in the family room). After she was gone, Michael slammed his head down on the kitchen table and moaned slightly.

To this, Sydney laughed. “OH it wasn’t that bad…”

“That bad?! That bad?!!?” he hissed. “Were you listening to the conversation.”

“Could have been worse,” she shrugged simply. “She could have asked what you were doing ‘hugging’ me without clothes on,” she pointed out.

“Oh god,” Michael moaned with horror. Sydney giggled softly. “That was not good…we can definitely never let her see us ‘hugging,’” he said with air quotes.

“My bedroom door locks,” she suggested.

“Good plan. I already told her that she had to knock before coming in, so that will just add to the security system,” Michael said.

They were silent for a few more moments before Sydney burst out giggling. When Michael gave her a curious look she explained, “Oh I’m just picturing you having the birds and the bees talk with her; its funny.”

“Um, excuse me, no I will not be having that with her. What do you think school’s for?” he said seriously.

“They don’t explain everything. Plus, she might have more personal questions that school can’t answer,” Sydney said.

Michael was silent for a moment before saying, “Okay…what do you think you’re for?”

Sydney laughed softly. “I see…that’s the only reason you want me, isn’t it? So you don’t have to have scarring conversations about periods and tampons and bras?”

After visibly shivering, Michael said, “Well yes…but for other reasons, too.”

“Oh yeah? Like what?” she questioned with a grin.

“Like this,” he said before pulling her into a sweet kiss.

first....? :eek:
this is my first comment too- :blush:
loving this fic soooo much

“I gots another question. You said that people who love each other sleep in the same bed – I get that, but why do ya gotta sleep without your pajamas? Is that a rule or somethin’?”
LMAO... absolutely hilarious....!

Tara :D

I had to laugh. That conversation brought back so many memories. One time my younger son Myles came walking into our bedroom while my husband and I were... Myles looked at us and said, "I gotta use your bathroom, Travis is in ours," and walked into the bathroom and shut the door.

Every married couple goes through what Michael did at least once in their lives.

Chris

Back