Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Apparently Martians didn't hijack the Polar Lander afterall!

Discussion in 'Tech, Science, and Space' started by Kevin, May 6, 2005.

1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Remember a few years back a high dollar launch to Mars vanished? It may have been found after all this time, disspelling any theories that it was abducted by angry martians upset about us hurling pieces of machinery at their planet. :P

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/05/06/mars.lander.ap/index.html

If you read the full article there are some pictures of the site.

2. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Interesting because I remember watching that landing and wondering what could have gone wrong. I remember being disappointed at the 'science lost'

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

this morning on BBC Radio World Service i heard that a scientist had spotted the parachutes.

maybe the craft came down on top of a controlled habitat environment for scouts from a heavier gravity well and the artificial gravity environment created by the machinery they'd sunk under the habitat sucked the lander down too fast for its own safety and squashed it like a bug against the habitat roof?

(the lines getting tangled on opening has been done to death :) )

4. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Speculation...The Lander absorbed too much Star Matter in the trip to the Red Planet and upon chute deployment commenced to immitate a falling star. It succeeded.