Debate Help

sydney565

Cadet
I have a debate coming up soon in speech class. I have to come up with at least three points on why animal experimentation should *not* be banned. I have one point as 'humans aren't always available.' I don't know what else I should talk about! Any ideas?

that we need things to test on and it isn't logical from our point of view to do the early (and most dangerous) tests on humans, when animals such as rats, etc. can be used and can minimize human death.

We're higher on the food chain and we have domain over them :lol:

Hope that helps

Animal experimentation teaches us a lot about ourselves. Many of them have similar traits. Did you know that we share about 60% of our genes with chickens? and that's a chicken! With chimpanzees we share 99% of the same genes. Now we have to ask ourselves which lives are more important, a human or say a rat. Many people treats animal with cruelty even if they are not trying to perform a lab on them. Also many experiments don't even hurt the animals. There should be sufficient amount of confidence that the animals will not be seriously harmed. Now again, this depends on someone's perspective on things. But generally, a human life is much more important than a rat who was bred to be tested.....

:thinking: it is much easier to fight for the other side. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

Also other animals reproduce faster than humans. Generations of rats grow a lot faster than people. So if you wanted to examine stuff within the population, you would get faster results.

ETA: heh I thought of more!
-You can think of it as rats (or another animal) was born to be experimented on, kinda like a cow was born to be eaten.
- This is similar to the others, but risking health of animals is easier than risking the health of humans.

It is easier to fight for the other side... you can guilt people in to it.

'humans aren't always available

Don't say this because the whole point of animal testing is that you can't test on humans. That's a very dangerous thing to do.

First, whatever you're testing could really hurt the human being. Having electroids sticking out a human generally isn't a good idea. Also, animals are the closest thing to human beings, so you can expect similar reactions to certain things. Testing on plants won't work because their structure is in no way similar to a mammal or human.

Second, when you test on animals, you have to kill them afterward to analyze their parts (ex. brain). You can't do that with humans. Take a mouse in psychological testing for instance. After you conduct the experiment, you cut off the mouse's head and slice up its brain. Then you have it scanned into a computer where it's examined.

Third, this could lead a very bad thing in the future. This Could start this whole black market thing where humans are cloned or created purely for their parts. That lowers the worth of human life.

Fourth. Would you rather that nothing is tested? You find out things don't work when people who buy them start to drop dead.

Back