Good TV Shows

Gemma

Captain
I need some good TV shows to watch, I've managed to catch some really good shows (IMO) this year but everything I've been watching is either drawing to a close or has already had the season finale.

Southland - just finished; best cop show I've ever watched.
GRIMM - ends soon; I like the idea of this show
Person of Interest - again I like the idea; something different from the norm
The Walking Dead - just finished.

I've watched Homeland (loved it!) and someone recommended an old two season series called Sleeper Cell (loved that too) but I need some new series to watch. I've got Game of Thrones starting again soon and I've got Firefly on my HD box to watch.

I tried watching Breaking Bad but it didn't really leave an impression on me even though it gets great ratings and critics love it.

So these are the types of programme I like along with 24, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos etc

Anyone got any recommendations? :D

If you liked Grimm, have you checked out Once Upon a Time? It is not as action oriented as Grimm but isn't bad if you like serials. OK, it is not really action oriented at all but it isn't bad after watching a few episodes.

From the list of shows listed you might also like Rubicon. It only lasted one season on AMC but it was a really good spy/political story.

Speaking of action shows, have you checked out Sons of Anarchy?

I'm not seeing too much sci-fi on the list but have you tried Fringe?

Ta. I'll check them out. Never heard of Rubicon before but it sounds like something I might like :smiley:

Only seen Sons of Anarchy once, I think it was one of the first episodes and I didn't really fancy it. Same with Fringe, in fact I hated that one :(

I'm not seeing too much sci-fi on the list

Falling Skies is the only sci-fi series I've watched lately, being a huge Mass Effect fan I feel I really should like sci-fi series but I haven't found any I like :confused:

From the list of shows listed you might also like Rubicon. It only lasted one season on AMC but it was a really good spy/political story.

Started watching Rubicon this evening, just seen the first two episodes but it looks like something I will enjoy :smiley:

Finishing watching Rubicon today. Really enjoyed it, thanks for pointing it out to me. I must admit I was totally lost and had no idea what was going on until about episode 10 then it all started falling into place.

Has there been any other series like that on US TV lately - I really like stuff like that.

Finishing watching Rubicon today. Really enjoyed it, thanks for pointing it out to me. I must admit I was totally lost and had no idea what was going on until about episode 10 then it all started falling into place.
That was one of the few shows that I really got into lately and was greatly disappointed that AMC didn't do a second season.

Has there been any other series like that on US TV lately - I really like stuff like that.
Sadly, no. It seems that half-hour comedies are making a comeback in the US at the expense of hour long dramas. Between the comedies and "reality" TV there isn't much left out there.

If you like the actor from Homeland, Damian Lewis, you might be interested in another series he did back in 2007. Life lasted two seasons on NBC. In that show his character was a cop framed for murder but released after a decade in prison after DNA tests prove his innocence. After his release he sued the city of Los Angeles to get his job back and compensation. The first season drifted a bit story wise but the second season was a lot more serious.

If you like the actor from Homeland, Damian Lewis, you might be interested in another series he did back in 2007

Damian Lewis was great in Homeland! I think I watched a couple of episodes of Life but kept on forgetting about it. I'll see if I can dig it out from somewhere and give it a go. Anything has got to be better than British TV!!!

I'm on episode 7 of the first season of Life. Pretty good so far, got some humour in beside the more serious stuff and Damian Lewis is really good in it.

I tried a new series called NYC 22 but didn't really like that so I've switched my attention to something called Flashpoint, from what I can tell it is Canadian and has been around for a few seasons so it should keep me going until we get some summer weather (though sunny days are quite sparse in Scotland :()

I'm on episode 7 of the first season of Life. Pretty good so far, got some humour in beside the more serious stuff and Damian Lewis is really good in it.
It was a good show that I was surprised didn't get more viewers. :( I won't reveal anything about it other than to say if you hang in to the last show it is kind of finished with a conclusion unlike most shows cancelled after the first season.

I tried a new series called NYC 22 but didn't really like that so I've switched my attention to something called Flashpoint, from what I can tell it is Canadian and has been around for a few seasons so it should keep me going until we get some summer weather (though sunny days are quite sparse in Scotland :()
Flashpoint is indeed a Canadian production set in Canada. Here in the States it has been moved around the lineup for a while but for the most part I liked it. It is a solid police drama that isn't over the top and it didn't try for the 'headlines story of the week' approach like Law & Order does. It has just been cancelled so the 5th season will be the last.

It was a good show that I was surprised didn't get more viewers. :( I won't reveal anything about it other than to say if you hang in to the last show it is kind of finished with a conclusion unlike most shows cancelled after the first season.

I read somewhere that this got cancelled because the actress that played his partner (Sarah Shahi) fell pregnant. Not sure how true that is though.

Flashpoint is indeed a Canadian production set in Canada. Here in the States it has been moved around the lineup for a while but for the most part I liked it. It is a solid police drama that isn't over the top and it didn't try for the 'headlines story of the week' approach like Law & Order does. It has just been cancelled so the 5th season will be the last.

Yeah, I saw a list of all the shows that have been cancelled. Some of them have just started over here so it is kinda surprising to read they have been cancelled - Alcatraz and Awake were given BIG build ups here (I haven't seen either of them though and they don't really appeal to me.

I'm only on Ep4 of the first season of Flashpoint so a long way to go. I just clicked that the guy who plays the Sargent is the same guy who played the criminal mastermind, Elias, in Person of Interest.

Finished watching Game of Thrones S2, Life, Band of Brothers and The Pacific now. Really enjoyed Life, it was funny in places but the individual crime stories along with the main story were pretty interesting too.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific were fantastic and both gave me a history lesson along the way. I don't really know much about World War 2 and we never really touched on it at school, really enjoyed them both, probably more so because it was detailing the lives of actual people so fought in WWII.

Struggling now for things to watch now - Falling Skies has started up again and I've got a couple of episodes of something called Continuum

I read somewhere that this got cancelled because the actress that played his partner (Sarah Shahi) fell pregnant. Not sure how true that is though.
Sarah Shahi is now in another show on USA Network called Fairly Legal. It is a pretty light-hearted show along the lines of the rest of the USA shows like Monk, Suits, & Royal Pains.

...and I've got a couple of episodes of something called Continuum
I don't think that one is airing here yet. Just looked it up and it sounds like something I'd watch.

If you're interested along the lines of a 'western' drama try Longmire on A&E. The short summary is that it is about a sheriff of a Wyoming county that is gruff and has a lot of issues. It is based on a series of novels by Craig Johnson. I'm not familiar with all of the actors in it but the cast does include Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica) and Lou Diamond Phillips.

They are up to 3 episodes aired so far here in the States and so far it isn't bad.

Been watching something called 'Missing' starring Ashley Judd and Sean Bean. It has been quite good even if a little unbelievable, some good twists in the plot and mostly filmed in Europe so some different locations from usual - been checking online and it hasn't been renewed :(

What is it with American TV shows getting cut or axed after one or two seasons?

Found another series, The Unusuals, but again it got canned after one season. Watched 6 episodes so far and it seemed pretty good. :(

Back