Politics How football can save child soldiers

Sophie

in love
REAL TIME
Real people's stories in their own words

Now an uneasy peace has returned to Liberia, aid workers are once again able to help rehabilitate children who fought in the bloody civil war. Here Kofi Ireland, of Don Bosco Homes, tells how the Beautiful Game helps.

_39365766_football203_2cafod.jpg
Football encourages team work

"Since the fighting died down in the capital, Monrovia, my work with former child soldiers has begun again in earnest.
During the three waves of fierce fighting that engulfed the city this June, July and August - dubbed World Wars One, Two and Three by the locals - we provided shelter, food and safety for many children separated from their families and without anywhere else to turn.
We've already welcomed dozens former child soldiers who escaped the militia, and expect thousands more to come to us for help now the demobilisation process outlined in the peace agreement has just started.
Many arrive with bullet wounds; most are in poor health and arrive virtually naked. Some are addicted to the drugs forced upon them at the frontline to give them false courage. All are traumatised by what they have seen and done.
Child soldiers are highly valued by the government militia and the two rebel forces - they are both fearless and easily bullied into becoming fighters. Some are tempted by the promise of food, others by bribes of US$10, and yet others join up to escape difficult home lives.
Most of those who have arrived at our Monrovia shelters are from the government militia, which is based in the city. The youngest so far is only nine, although we know that they recruit children as young as six. Those too small to fire a gun carry ammunition for the frontline fighters.

British partner

With the help of the aid agency, Cafod, we're now about to restart our rehabilitation programme that was forced to close during the war. The aim of the work is to prepare these children to be reunited with their families and with their communities.

_39365762_relightshelter203cafod.jpg
Education too makes a difference

The first step is to give these children hope again. Most don't believe they can rebuild their lives. Unless we keep them occupied, they fast sink into depression and become withdrawn, thinking about their past experiences.
We use games a lot to help alleviate depression, such as draughts, Ludo and especially football, which all the boys love. These games help relax the mind, but football also helps teach them to work in a team outside a military context.
We counsel the children and aim to either get them back into school or train them in a skill such as carpentry or mechanics. Local craftsmen take then on as apprentices, which also helps to reintegrate them back into society. By learning a skill, they have a means of survival outside the militia.

Fractured families

Everyone within Monrovia has been affected by the civil war. I currently have 28 people living in my three-room house because my extended family has had to flee their homes to escape the fighting.
But at least I know where my family is; many of the children who arrive at our shelter have no idea, so we try to trace their parents and work towards taking them back home.

_39365420_moses203cafod.jpg
Moses was one of an estimated 15,000 under-18s in the militia

Sometimes rehabilitation works, sometimes it doesn't. Some of the children we've previously worked with have rejoined militias, which is disheartening.
But we realise that this is a long process. Many others are now working successfully in the community. One of our former boys is now a carpenter - he has helped renovate a night shelter for us after it was damaged in the war."

Source : BBCnews.co.uk

so what's your opinion on it sophie? :lol: i see you like to post news but never say what you feel :smiley:

i wish the US would stop spending so much money on war :( :sigh: and use it to help feed people.

This is a great idea to do that, if it can help them !
Wars are always aweful during and after !

I don't give my opinion b/c journalists aren't suppose to ! :lol:

Back