I... what the.... is this even LEGAL?

This is quite off topic, but the Google Ads have... uhh... disturbed me, to say the least, so I decided to share the cause of such disturbance.

WTF.jpg

Honestly, what the hell? It's bad enough they're working with countries like China, Burma, and others to help them censor the internet; its bad enough that they data mine and trawl the net with some really kinda shady methods; but what the heck is this garbage? How can they POSSIBLY defend something like advertising for Adultery?

And I really, really just want to take this to someone in outrage, to do or say something about this, but honestly, could I actually have any effect at all?

~Dune Walker~

Is "Adultery" even illegal? I thought it was just considered bad manners, or something. Besides, it's not like it hurts anyone.

Sometimes Kuzzle, you give me a lot less hope for young people, and you're not that much younger than me.

The little blurbs for the google ads are written by people paid a few cents per ad to see a link, write a title and a pitch and submit it. I'm amazed they even have decent spell ... at times. I actually pondered doing that, to make some side money once. There's thousands of little blurbs written per day that probably get a blink and half from some low-level supervisor before they hit the net. I'm sure Google has some kind of legal protection from anything said in them -.-

And the legality of adultery depends on which country you live it. It's certainly grounds for divorce in which the non-adulting party gets to walk away with everyone you own and get a big fat check from your ever month for a long while. Which, is worse than the community service and wrist slapping you get for minor crimes.

You know, I was watching TV the other day, and a match.com ad came on (that I've seen before), but I realized that they were pretty much targeting married/involved men and women. It's the one that says "It's okay to look"

EVERYONE not in a relationship already KNOWS that. The only people they need to say that to, is the ones that have someone already.

Rushed into a relationship? Didn't use protection? Found out your spouse is secretly a cult member?

Are you regreting all your horrible mistakes in getting into a relationship? Then pay us to help you make an even more horrible mistake, break the law, lose the respect of decent people everywhere, and likely ruin your life for decades to come!

~Dune Walker~

Sometimes Kuzzle, you give me a lot less hope for young people, and you're not that much younger than me.

The little blurbs for the google ads are written by people paid a few cents per ad to see a link, write a title and a pitch and submit it. I'm amazed they even have decent spell ... at times. I actually pondered doing that, to make some side money once. There's thousands of little blurbs written per day that probably get a blink and half from some low-level supervisor before they hit the net. I'm sure Google has some kind of legal protection from anything said in them -.-

And the legality of adultery depends on which country you live it. It's certainly grounds for divorce in which the non-adulting party gets to walk away with everyone you own and get a big fat check from your ever month for a long while. Which, is worse than the community service and wrist slapping you get for minor crimes.

People seem to say that first bit to me far too often. :( Note that I never said it was OK, and I personally wouldn't cheat on someone to whom I'd devoted my life, but I just didn't think it was illegal. It's kind of like my stand on abortion: "Yeah, it's murder... I just don't care." *shrug*

Adultry in the US as a country is not illegal. On a per state basis, however, it can be. Penalties range from things like 2 years in prison (or 18 months treatment for insanity) in Pennsylvania to a 10 dollar fine in Maryland. However, in most states these laws are just blue laws, never enforced.

And while it is grounds for divorce in most places, it does not necessarily affect how that divorce plays out- not who gets what, just that it can happen without both party's concent.

And also, let's not forget that adultry is sometimes consentual with one's spouse. Throughout a fair portion of human history, a romp apart from one's spouse was seen as the key to a healthy, successful marriage. I personally know of a couple in their 30s who are quite happily married and have what is called an open relationship- so long as they have full disclosure -beforehand- with one another, they are free to do what they wish with other people.

I have to agree with Kuzzle on this one- it's a personal issue, not one that can really be legislated.

Back