~Joe's Bar & Grill~

~Part 112~
~The Kitchen Incident~

Vaughn sat impatiently on the bed, his leg bouncing up and down nervously as he waited for Sydney to come out of the bathroom. Francie was leaning on the doorframe watching Vaughn as he examined his finger nails.

“You know, you’re going to put a hole through the floor if you keep shakin’ your leg like that.” Francie said as she nodded towards his left leg. It was as if it had a mind of it’s own, he couldn’t control it.

“I doubt it.” Vaughn said.

Francie rolled her eyes and went back waiting in silence.

“You know, why the hell do you hate me so much?” He asked.

Francie looked at him. “I don’t hate you.” She said defensively. “I just worry about Sydney.”

“Because I’m not good enough?” He asked. He really did want to know. Francie was Sydney’s best friend and he felt the need to have a good relationship with her also.

“Frankly, you’re better than a lot of the other guy’s she’s dated.”

“What about Pete?” Vaughn asked.

Francie crossed her arms at her chest. Without words he knew that the subject was touchy. Damien must have been telling the truth about Pete McCormick because Francie sighed and shook her head. He was a bas****, but to what extent Vaughn didn’t know. However, he intended on finding out.

“Damien told me some things about him.” Vaughn said.

Francie stared at her best friend’s fiancée. The topic made her uncomfortable, because she swore to Sydney she’d never say a word to Vaughn about her past relationship with Pete. She knew how protective Vaughn was, and if he knew the truth she feared that Pete would be waking up in the hospital one day.

“I don’t hate you.” Francie said as she stepped around the topic. “I’m like this with everyone, it’s not just you. Even the crew down at the studio. Sometimes she talks about personal matters when they’re around, I just don’t want her to get hurt.” She said. “Of all people you should respect that.”

“I do.” Vaughn said. “And I’m glad you’re looking out for her. But I love Sydney more than anything in my life, she is my life, that’s why I’m marrying her. I know you and I haven’t gotten along in the past, but I’d like to try now. You’re a part of her life, and you’re important to her. I think it’s only fair to her that you and I are on good terms.”

Francie smiled slightly. “I can respect that.” She said. They both fell silent for a moment before Francie shook her head with a laugh. “But you really have to settle down.”

“Excuse me?” He asked. “Alright, first of all it’s not everyday you find out that your fiancée might be pregnant with you first child. And secondly I have anxiety; I get nervous under these circumstances.” He said.

“Do you take anything for it?” She asked.

“No, I hate medication; I’ve been on too much of it in the past. I’d rather suffer.”

“I don’t know whether to call you a smart man or just a dumba**.”

“Well, Sydney call’s me a dumba** all the time. So feel free.” He said.

There was a knock at the bedroom door and Damien popped his head in.

“Hey, sorry. But uh…we have a situation downstairs.” Damien said.

Francie and Vaughn just stared at him in confusion.

“Well uh, there’s a slight leak under the kitchen sink.”

Screaming came from downstairs and Vaughn immediately jumped up off the bed and moved past Damien.

“That’s not it either.” Damien said as he followed Michael down the hallway. “Pete’s here too.”

If water hadn’t been leaking all over the kitchen floor Vaughn actually might have stopped and asked Damien to repeat himself. But instead he ignored Damien’s last comment and jumped down the stairs to see Amy and Laura standing away from the pipe that was spewing from under the kitchen sink.

“Get me a wrench.” Vaughn said as he walked into the kitchen. He kneeled down in front of the cabinets.

“I don’t think you should open that, Michael.” Laura said.

“She’s right, it’s spraying everywhere.” Amy agreed.

“JUST….stand back alright.” He said. He pried open the cabinet doors and was hit in the face with a stream of water. He turned his head to the side as he leaned forward and put his hands around the pipe. “Damien! Damn it where’s the wrench!?” Vaughn yelled as the front of him was in the process of being soaked. “Shi*.”

He looked around for a towel to wrap around the pipe but there were none in sight.

Sydney’s going to kill me for using this shirt. He thought as he took his hands off the pipe and pulled off his shirt. He leaned forward again and wrapped his overly-priced t-shirt around the pipe in efforts to stop the spewing.

Damien came running into the kitchen with a wrench.

“I have to hold this, you’re gonna have to turn the bolt.” Vaughn said as he moved to the side slightly. As all the commotion was going on in the kitchen, Francie and Sydney walked downstairs.

Damien kneeled next to Vaughn and started to turn the valve under the sink until the water pressure dropped. After a moment Vaughn was finally able to let go and fall back into the island that was behind him. He leaned up against the oak wood and sighed, just realizing that he’d need to change once again.

“Michael?”

He turned his head to his mothers voice and was surprised with the flash from her camera. He rolled his eyes as Damien patted him on the shoulder.

“Nice teamwork man.”

“So much drama before dinner.”

Vaughn pushed himself up off the floor when he heard the unfamiliar voice. He scanned the crowd until his eyes fell upon a stranger he’d never seen before.

“And you are?” Vaughn asked.

“Pete McCormick.” The man said as he stuck out his hand, which Michael shook. Vaughn admitted it; this man definitely could give him a run for his money in the looks department. His hair was black and shiny with expensive hair-gel and he looked as though he had just stepped out of GQ magazine itself. “The man you stole Sydney away from.” He said jokingly.

Vaughn pulled his hand away and grabbed a paper towel from the counter.

“I don’t think…” He wiped the water off of his face and away from his eyes. “…you needed any help with that.” He said as he threw the paper towel in the garbage can. “Sydney’s not a hard woman to hold onto, you’ve just gotta care enough to actually try.”

Everyone was silent. Amy smiled at her sons willingness to step up for the woman he loved, and also his courage to defend himself at the same time.

“Right, well…it’s nice to meet you. Sydney’s told me some very good things about you.” Pete said with a smile.

“Funny, I’ve heard some things about you also.” Vaughn said.

“Oh, really? All good things I hope.”

Vaughn smirked. “Sometimes hope can come back and bite you in the a**.”

Damien laughed and Francie elbowed him in the ribs.

“If you’ll excuse me, i need to take a hot shower.” Vaughn said.

“Maybe you should try a cold one.” Pete shot back through his innocent façade.

Vaughn paused mid-way up the stairs and turned around.

“Maybe you should kiss my…”

“Ahem…alright…how about we get back to cooking.” Laura interrupted.

Vaughn shook his head and kept on his way up to the bedroom. He could hear someone following behind him and as he entered the bedroom she softly uttered his name.

“Vaughn…”

“He’s a jacka**.”

Sydney laughed slightly. “Well you didn’t exactly come off as a nice guy either.”

He glared at her as he stripped out of his clothes and entered the bathroom. “So you’re defending him now?” She sat on the bed as he jumped in the shower.

“I didn’t say I was.” She said as she played with her hands. “But it doesn’t make the hostility you showed right either.”

“Excuse me for defending myself and quiet frankly you also.” He said over the noise of the water. “Shouldn’t you be down there asking him why he’s here? Cause if he’s staying for dinner…”

“I’m not down there.” She said as she got up and walked to the bathroom. She leaned on the doorframe and watched him through the foggy glass. “I’m up here with you, because you’re my first priority. Even if it means being a bad host.”

The water turned off a minute later and Vaughn opened the door and grabbed a towel. He wrapped it around his waist as he stepped onto the tile floor.

She smiled slightly, “I do appreciate you implying that it was my decision to leave him. That’s one thing I always disliked about him, he never thought I was capable of making my own decisions.”

“Well then he’s a jacka** for that too.” He said as he tried to walk past her. She grabbed his upper arm to stop him.

“Well, I hope my news will make your crappy day a little more enjoyable.” She said.

He searched her eyes for a moment before answering.

“You’re pregnant?” He asked.

A smile pulled at her lips as she nodded.

“Are you serious?”

She was happy to see the change in his mood. It was as if he suddenly forgot about everything that had just went on downstairs.

“You’re going to be a daddy.”

“Syd...” He brought her into his arms and hugged her as tight as he could. He picked her up slightly so her feet were off the ground before he spun her around once as she held onto him.

“You’re happy?” She asked as he set her down and pulled away slightly.

“Am I happy?” He asked. “How can I not be?” He brushed a strand of hair off the side of her face with a smile. “God you’re so amazing.” He hugged her again.

“Yeah, well, you had some part in it too if I remember correctly.” She giggled.

He pulled away for a moment. “So you think it was definitely that night at the motel?” He asked.

“Well I can’t be for sure but probably.” She said.

He smiled. “Good, cause that night definitely meant a lot to me.”

“I’m sure it did.” She teased.

“I didn’t mean it like that.” He said. “But it was like the very first time when you were visiting Chicago, after Navy Pier.”

“How so?” She asked.

He shrugged. “You just…made me feel like I had a place in this crazy world.”

“And where would that be?” She asked.

He smiled. “Right beside you.”

She nodded. “Good answer.”

“I thought so.” He kissed her softly and pulled away a moment later. “I’m gonna get changed. And if you want me to be nice to Pete, I’ll try.” He said. “Not because I want too though.”

She smiled as he pulled away from her and moved to the closet. “Just be yourself.” She said. “But at the same time don’t scare him enough to have a restraining order put on you and I. I still have a few things I need from the house.”

“Alright then.” He said as he disappeared somewhere in the walk-in closet.

“I’m gonna be downstairs. Come down when you’re done, sweetie.” She said as she left the room.

The feeling he had at that very moment was indescribable. He’d get a chance to be a good father, to give his son or daughter the life he never had. He just hoped that the saying wasn’t true. Like father, like son.

First?!!! Vaughn doesn't have to worry about being his dad. Just because it's a saying doesn't mean it has to come true. :smiley:

I loved his quips to Pete. And why is Pete there?

“Well, I hope my news will make your crappy day a little more enjoyable.” She said.

“Are you serious?”

She was happy to see the change in his mood.  It was as if he suddenly forgot about everything that had just went on downstairs.

“Syd...”  He brought her into his arms and hugged her as tight as he could.  He picked her up slightly so her feet were off the ground before he spun her around once as she held onto him.
SHES PREGNANT! :D OMG!!! :woot: I'm so excited. :D

“Am I happy?” He asked.  “How can I not be?” He brushed a strand of hair off the side of her face with a smile. “God you’re so amazing.”  He hugged her again.

I'm giddy right now. *Giggles*

This is just so amazing! :D She's PREGNANT! :laughbounce:

Dude! That means we get Daddy!Vaughn. :thud:

:D Great Chapter, Kristina! :D I absolutely loved it. Can't wait for more.

(y)

off to read.
I knew she was pregnant. :P

“Are you serious?”

She was happy to see the change in his mood. It was as if he suddenly forgot about everything that had just went on downstairs.

“Syd...” He brought her into his arms and hugged her as tight as he could. He picked her up slightly so her feet were off the ground before he spun her around once as she held onto him.

“Am I happy?” He asked. “How can I not be?” He brushed a strand of hair off the side of her face with a smile. “God you’re so amazing.” He hugged her again.
Daddy Vaughn. :D Yippy!!!!!!!
I am so glad they are having a baby.
"Yeah, well, you had some part in it too if I remember correctly.” She giggled.

He pulled away for a moment. “So you think it was definitely that night at the motel?” He asked.

“Well I can’t be for sure but probably.” She said.

He smiled. “Good, cause that night definitely meant a lot to me.”

“I’m sure it did.” She teased.

“I didn’t mean it like that.” He said. “But it was like the very first time when you were visiting Chicago, after Navy Pier.”

“How so?” She asked.

He shrugged. “You just…made me feel like I had a place in this crazy world.”

“And where would that be?” She asked.

He smiled. “Right beside you.”

She nodded. “Good answer.”

“I thought so.” He kissed her softly and pulled away a moment later. “I’m gonna get changed. And if you want me to be nice to Pete, I’ll try.” He said. “Not because I want too though.”

She smiled as he pulled away from her and moved to the closet. “Just be yourself.” She said. “But at the same time don’t scare him enough to have a restraining order put on you and I. I still have a few things I need from the house.”

“Alright then.” He said as he disappeared somewhere in the walk-in closet.

“I’m gonna be downstairs. Come down when you’re done, sweetie.” She said as she left the room.

The feeling he had at that very moment was indescribable. He’d get a chance to be a good father, to give his son or daughter the life he never had. He just hoped that the saying wasn’t true. Like father, like son.
awww...I loved that. :blush:
Thank you for the pm.
Can't wait till Pete, Vaughn, and Syd are all in the same room.
Update soon.
:surf:

“Are you serious?”

She was happy to see the change in his mood.  It was as if he suddenly forgot about everything that had just went on downstairs.

I love that part. "You're gonna be a daddy"...hehe. I cannot wait to see Daddy!Vaughn. *happysigh* Everyone is making Sydney pregnant in their stories and it's so much fun to read all the different versions of how Vaughn handles it and what kind of dad he is. ^_^

“Am I happy?” He asked.  “How can I not be?” He brushed a strand of hair off the side of her face with a smile. “God you’re so amazing.”  He hugged her again.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

I just loved this chapter. Francie and Vaughn are on semi-good terms again (thank god) and then you have the hositility between Vaughn and Pete which was just waiting to happen.
Muhaha, soooo good, Kristina. :hug:
Thanks for the PM and I cannot wait for more!

Your 🐒,
Riley xoxo

Yay!
A baby on the way
I am so excited
They are going to be wonderful parents!
Why is that jerk in Syd's house
Kick him out!
He doesn't belong there!
Thanks for the PM
Update again soon please!!

good job Kristina! (y)

I was finally able to get on today. the system kept crashing on me. I'm so glad she's pregnant. Why is Pete at Sydney's house? Please tell me he's not there to cause trouble, now is he? And Vaughn is gonna make a wonderful daddy.

have a great day and please update again very soon.

:P
CJ

What's Pete doing there??
I'm so happy for Sydney and Vaughn :D I hope they'll have a little girl :smiley:
Awesome update. Post more soon.

I am soo scared that the little appearance we have from Pete will turn into something big and bad.... I mean, why bring back someone from the past if they won't be playing some big role... Did I mention I'm scared?? (n)

But on the upside, she's pregnant and they are both really happy about it.

Great update, can't wait for the next one.

That was great ... glad Vaughn and Fran cleared the air a little bit ... awww his poor expensive shirt ... love that his mom took a picture ... love the way Vaughn handles Pete ... yah she preggers ... glad that they are so happy ... thanks for the PM ... more soon please

YAY! She's prego! That's great news! I love the chapter. Stupid Pete, I thought he died or something...maybe it was just wishful thinking. Anywho. Thanks for the PM. I can't wait for more.

MR. s***HEAD- IM MEAN MR. PETE HAS GOT TO GO, NOONE LIKES HIM AND IF HE THINKS HE'S GONNA ASK SYDNEY TO COME BACK TO HIM, HE WILL WAKE UP IN A HOSPITAL WEARING A DIAPER!!!!!!

vAUGHN AND sYDNEY DESERVE TO HAVE A LITTLE HAPPINESS, EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO WAIT NINE MNTHS FOR IT!!!!!!!

MENTAL PICTURE OF VAUGHN SOAKED WITH WATER; HIS JEANS EVEN THIGHTER ON HIS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back