Horror Juan of the Dead

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Not available on Netflix yet but is listed to be saved for future if/when it becomes available. :)

By coincidence I recently saw a blurb about this movie in Entertainment Weekly (a US magazine) and was intrigued; definitely will watch it when I can.

Tim

Creative Writer
Well, it's difficult judging from the trailer how well filmed it is. I took a gamble after coming across the film on a blog. There is a really dodgy looking clip in there (the smoke filled street, with apparent blur in the camera, that looked better in the film itself and may have been a mistake by whoever encoded the trailer)

The camera work is very good, the actors are quite good, the script above average, the fighting scenes are quite comic like. The zombies act very well, and there are slow and fast zombies (and even a little discussion about them) This film has absorbed everything that has come before and ensured they don't make any "mistakes" and what with the genre it sits in, it is seriously is worth watching for those who loved Shaun of the Dead, although admittedly the music isn't as good.

Tim

Creative Writer
.... a B-movie about Zombies from Cuba

Now, this is the point I'm going to have a hard time getting across. It sure didn't feel like a B movie. It has good production quality and a tight script. This isn't no Piranhaconda!

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Now, this is the point I'm going to have a hard time getting across. It sure didn't feel like a B movie. It has good production quality and a tight script. This isn't no Piranhaconda!
With video that looks like it was shot on a home video camera & college-film level special effects, I'm not sure "good production quality" would be an applicable description.

actionavenue

Artist, Cartoonist and Dude
Come on.... a B-movie about Zombies from Cuba... how could you possibly pass on that? :D

Well, I've seen a lot of zombie movies in my day, some great, some near great and some which are just plain broken beyond repair. I get the whole parody thing; for any movie genre to not take itself too seriously is a good thing. Comic relief is not wasted on this movie fan! I guess I'm getting spoiled lately with some of the superb zombie offerings which have been released in the last several years. I think any extremely low budget movie (horror, scifi or in any other category) is probably going to fail to grab my attention mainly because there are enough good choices to successfully compete for my applause.

Tim

Creative Writer
With video that looks like it was shot on a home video camera & college-film level special effects, I'm not sure "good production quality" would be an applicable description.

That trailer is truly not representative of the film quality. The special effects are fine, in that they do not detract from the film.

Actionavenue said:
I think any extremely low budget movie (horror, scifi or in any other category) is probably going to fail to grab my attention mainly because there are enough good choices to successfully compete for my applause.

Don't pass this one over. There are loads of budget horror movies out there, I try to watch some when horror movie festivals result in a stream of them coming out. I recently saw Deadheads which I thought was okay. Juan of the Dead was a worthy use of my time and I think it will also be to many other people.

actionavenue

Artist, Cartoonist and Dude
That trailer is truly not representative of the film quality. The special effects are fine, in that they do not detract from the film.

Don't pass this one over. There are loads of budget horror movies out there, I try to watch some when horror movie festivals result in a stream of them coming out. I recently saw Deadheads which I thought was okay. Juan of the Dead was a worthy use of my time and I think it will also be to many other people.

Ok, if you're going to twist my arm! Geez! LOL :D

Tim

Creative Writer
Haha! Get in there! But if you ever catch me recommending SyFy original horror movies, you'll know I've lot the plot. This one, is just fine.