Kate

“Seriously, I’m insane! I have a baby! You need to get out while you still can.”

A broad smile crossed his face. “What if I don’t want to?”

“But I have a baby…”

“And I love babies,” he said, smiling.

“But I’m crazy…”

“I love crazy people too,” he told her, fighting to keep a straight face, but when Sydney burst out laughing, he did too. “Seriously, Syd, I’m not leaving.”
Awww... :love: He's so sweet. Of course he definitely knows what to say... :smiley:

Great chapter. I'm so glad that Michael didn't freak out about the whole "I have a baby now" thing.

I'm glad she finally told him and I'm glad that Michael didn't confront her when he knew something was up and just waited for her to tell him.

even more so, worried by the fact that she had actually stopped eating half way through her chocolate cake to speak
hahaha, that SHOULD get you worried!! :lol:

YAY!!! Michael's not going anywhere!!!! yay!! :lol: :bounce:

and they are such a cute family.

soooooo cute. i loved it. nadia always just seems to run away from her problems. it's great that emily offers to watch kate. i love how vaughn stills want to be in the relationship with syddie.

-erin :smiley:

awww that has to be the cutest chap of all time!! michael's great and i am glad that Syd adopting kate hasnt changed his feelings for her in any way!
cant wait for more :D

Vaughn is really a goo guy, not a lot of men would have reacted the way he did when Sydney told him the truth. He didn't run away, and he enjoy spending time with Sydney and Kate, meaning only a thing : He loves her! Well, he loves them :P

Chapter 18
The day before Kate’s six week milestone, Sydney took her to the pediatrician for her first real check up and first set of immunization shots. Sydney was nervous the entire time (for Kate’s sake) and when the nurse came in with not one but two needles to give Kate shots, she nearly had a stroke. Of course, as soon as the nurse gave her the first injection Kate begin to wail loudly, which caused Sydney to panic even more. She held Kate tightly, holding her leg firm for the nurse to inject shot number two, but looking away fighting the tears from falling at her precious daughter crying out in pain.

It only took ten minutes of Sydney rocking her and whispering soft things to her for Kate to calm down, though. Once she was calm, Sydney calmed as well. After her slightly traumatic doctor visit, Sydney took Kate with her to a toy store to pick out a baby friendly toy for her. Not that Kate exactly understood the concept of bribing or rewards, but Sydney figured it couldn’t hurt since Kate didn’t have all that many toys already.

Two days later, the sadness of having to leave Kate began to sink in for Sydney. She only had the weekend left with her precious baby before she returned to work on Monday morning. She was convinced that their separation would be far more traumatic on her than it would be on Kate, but she feared for Kate’s reaction to her ‘abandonment’ of her. Luckily, though, she had a buffer; her mother would be watching Kate on that Monday.

When Sydney began formulating plans as to who she was going to take care of Kate and work at the same time, her mother came to her with a solution. She had switched her part-time working schedule to working only three days a week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays) so that she could watch Kate on the other two days. Sydney was very grateful for this, but she still needed to find a place for Kate the other three days of the week.

Via email, her boss had suggested to her the daycare available within their large office building. Sydney contacted them and found that they were indeed willing to accept Kate for the middle three weekdays, but Sydney was still slightly unsure about the idea of daycare. The daycare center encouraged Sydney and Kate to visit to make her feel more comfortable about leaving her there, so that’s what the two of them did on Friday afternoon.

Though her visit eased some of her trepidation, Sydney was still unsure. She couldn’t tell, though, if her fears stemmed from the day care specifically or just leaving Kate in general. She decided that since many other parents entrusted their children to that facility, it couldn’t possibly be as bad as her mind was making it out to be. So, she signed Kate up for the facility and paid the initial fees while she was visiting on Friday.

Sydney had planned to spend the entire morning on Saturday bonding with Kate before Michael came over that afternoon to celebrate their four month anniversary, however her plans were dashed when she woke up to find Kate with a runny nose. Immediately, she went into panic mode, especially at the sound of a tiny cough coming from Kate. She resisted the urge to take Kate straight to the doctor, but instead called her mother.

“Look’s like she caught a little cold,” was Irina’s verdict a mere few minutes after looking at Kate.

“A COLD?!” Sydney nearly screeched, having a panic attack about Kate’s very first illness, no matter how minor it was.

“Mmhmm, probably at the doctor’s office,” Irina told her. “She’ll be fine Sydney; nothing to worry about.”

Of course, Sydney did worry, a lot, and by the time Michael arrived, she was very frazzled. “Kate has a cold!” she whimpered, falling into his arms.

“Aww sweetie,” Michael said in a soft tone, hugging her tightly. He knew exactly how upset she must have been as he recalled his sister’s very traumatic first baby illness. “She’s going to be just fine.”

“But she’s got a cold!! WHAT IF SHE STOPS BREATHING?!” Sydney gasped in horror, just thinking that terrible thought.

“Syd, honey, she’s got a cold, not pneumonia. She’s not going to stop breathing,” Michael assured her. Then, with a broad smile across his face he held out the roses he had brought her. “Happy anniversary.”

His distraction technique worked and Sydney smiled, thanking him for the flowers. “Of course,” he said, kissing her before walking over to Kate’s carrier. “Hey sweetie, you’ve got a cold hmm?” he said while picking up a tissue to dab a Kate’s tiny nose.

Sydney walked over and rested her head against Michael’s arm. “I don’t want her to be sick.”

“I know.”

She sighed sadly and stroked Kate’s face gently. Then she looked up at Michael saying, “Sorry I won’t be much fun tonight.”

“’sokay,” he told her, kissing her head softly. Just then, Kate coughed and they both looked down at her. “You know what might help? One of those baby humidifier thingies,” Michael suggested.

“Oh… yeah… too bad I didn’t buy one of those,” Sydney said.

“I’ll run out and get it if you’d like,” Michael said.

“Oh you don’t-” but before Sydney could finish her protest, Michael was already half way to the door, saying he’d be back in a few minutes.

For the rest of the evening, Sydney and Michael stayed on the couch, watching over Kate, who was having trouble sleeping because of her coughing, though the humidifier was helping her. Around eight Kate finally drifted off a bit and Sydney transferred her to her crib, hoping she’d sleep as long as possible.

“I think I’m going to try and get some sleep while she’s sleeping because I know she’s going to wake up in a little while,” Sydney told Michael. She felt guilty for having put a major damper on their anniversary, but knew at the same time that there was nothing she could do about it.

“Okay,” he nodded. “Want me to stay?”

Sydney tried to fight her face from flushing at this thought. Though she and Michael had never spent the night together it was definitely a step she wanted to take in their relationship, however with Kate the situation wasn’t easy. “Michael you don’t have to, I mean, you need your sleep and Kate’s going to wake up…”

“You need to sleep too – you have to work on Monday. Let me stay and share the night duties, please? I insist.”

“But-”

He pressed his finger tip over her lips silencing her. “No buts.”

A smile crept slowly across her face as she stepped forward and latched her arms around his neck. “Thank you,” she whispered into his shoulder.

“No problem,” he whispered back.

After getting ready for bed and pre-preparing a bottle for Kate, Sydney and Michael quietly slipped beneath the covers of her bed. Michael wrapped an arm around Sydney’s waist and she relaxed back against his chest, reveling in how wonderful being in his arms felt after she had slept alone for so long.

Though Sydney fell asleep almost immediately, Michael stayed awake for another half hour listening to the soft sounds of breathing that were filling the room both from Sydney and Kate. He was amazed at himself for feeling so deeply for those two ladies after only such a short period of time. He had never thought of himself as a fall head over heels quickly type of person, but with Sydney he had. His thoughts didn’t last long, though, for he too fell asleep.

Michael was startled awake by Kate’s whimpers. In his sleepy state it took him a moment to realize what was going on, but when he did, he immediately slid from bed and scooped her up in his arms, taking her out into the kitchen so she wouldn’t wake Sydney who, thankfully, was still asleep. Luckily it seemed that Kate just needed to be bounced a few moments for almost immediately she fell back to sleep and Michael returned her to her crib.

Later on that night, around two am, Sydney awoke to the sounds of Kate’s whimpers and bolted from bed before Michael had a chance to wake up. She fed Kate and then held her for about twenty minutes until she fell asleep then Sydney returned to bed herself.

Unbeknownst to Sydney and Michael, they continued their alternating pattern until morning when the three of them were finally awake at the same time. “How did you sleep, alright?” Sydney asked, concerned.

Michael nodded with a yawn. “Yeah I only had to get up with her twice.”

Sydney nearly choked on her coffee. “You got up with her?! I got up with her.”

“When?” he asked, confused.

“Two and five thirty.”

“Oh,” he laughed. “I got up with her at eleven and four.”

Sydney smiled at this. “I guess we made a pretty good team them.”

“Definitely,” he smiled back.

When are they going to get married?

When is Vaughn going to sign the papers to be Kate's official daddy?

Hurry? Me? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :blush:

Okay, Michael needs to stay there all the time.
They shared baby duty without even knowing.
That will help both of them to not miss so much sleep.

I can understand her first time mom reaction to Kate getting her first shots.

Aww its so sweet that Michael's not running for the door ^_^

They malke an excellent team! He should stay more often, maybe even permanently? :rolleyes:

Back