Lost: Ask Matt Questions for 10/11/04

Lost News

Official News Poster
Question:
"Mike" wrote in to your column suggesting that Lost might be doomed to disappoint. I'm satisfied in the fullest, but it turns out Mike hit the nail on the head for a lot of viewers. I have friends already whining about how stupid it would be if they were in Jurassic Park. Or what in the world a polar bear is doing on a tropical island. What a ridiculous idea and how disappointing. Is there any way to shut these people up?! Lost has clearly established itself as a show that will reveal plot points with each episode, so why are people already ripping it apart for "not making sense"? Nothing really has made sense since they've gotten to the island, which is exactly the point. We stay just as confused as the castaways until they learn something new. Now I have my theories as to what's going on, but I'm content in the meantime to wait for the new twist to be revealed — and speaking of twists, how creepy was the ending of Episode 2, with the radio transmission? I haven't been that thrilled since 24. — Amber

Matt:
I'm just glad this season is giving us shows that are worth talking about and arguing over. I am aware that all sorts of theories are being discussed and dissected about what's really going on here, but I'm not going to dwell on that. For me, Lost is a great story — fantastic in all senses of the word (including the definition that skirts the border of "fantasy") — and it's been a while since a network mounted an adventure of this scale, with a cast this solid, playing characters this fascinating. (This week's episode, focusing on the Terry O'Quinn character, is full of surprise revelations.) Honestly, I don't care if people b**** and moan about the more outlandish twists — as long as they keep watching.

Back