Making the Switch

So recently I decided to make the switch on one of my computers from XP to Ubuntu Linux. Having always been a windows user I was a little baffled at it when I installed it. Since I'm a complete novice at using linux I had read a bunch of different reviews trying to figure out what linux product would be the easiest crossover for me and for the most part I had seen Ubuntu was it, that and the fact that its a Free OS didn't hurt either.

So my question is anyone had any experience with this product? So far so good. Had no problems setting up Apache and PHP/MySQL at all seemed to be the easiest thing I'd ever done. Especially when compared to getting IIS and PHP/MySQL to work correctly. That and it makes my old P4 2.8Ghz machine run smoother then my Core2 6700 it seems. So all in all not to shabby it seems.

Just wondering though what maybe some of your thoughts are on it, whether you have some good experiences with it or maybe a different linux make? Only trouble I've had so far is integrating it into my network of 2 other xp machines and a Vista machine but hopefully after awhile I'll figure it out.

One of my roommates in college had Linux and I was always very impressed with it. But when I attempted a few years back to set it up on one of my machines, I couldn't even understand half the terminology in the instructions, much less hope to complete it. I fall in the "I'd love to but I'm intimidated as all hell and I'd be afraid something would go wrong and I couldn't fix it" categoy.

So long as it is working, Ubuntu (and, to be fair, most Linux distros in general as well) are absolutely great for everyone, including novices (so long as you don't want to play any games).

The moment something stops working the way it's supposed to, however, or you need to do something for which there isn't a simple online tutorial for, you better know what you're doing - otherwise, you're in trouble.

So long as it is working, Ubuntu (and, to be fair, most Linux distros in general as well) are absolutely great for everyone, including novices (so long as you don't want to play any games).

The moment something stops working the way it's supposed to, however, or you need to do something for which there isn't a simple online tutorial for, you better know what you're doing - otherwise, you're in trouble.
And that right there is my problem. Also I am in the former catergory mentioned above. Sounds great but I would rather not risk it. Though vista and nvidia don't like each other right now. :-L

Back