MLG Debate Thread

So back to the old MLG Debate topic...
Is it a sport or a hobbie?

Personlly i think its a hobbie because it does not envolve any active things even though it is on espn but i still think its a hobbie.

What are your thoughts?

At the level the pros play it its a sport.
Its even more complicated then some sports, you have playing defense and offense just like either other sport, they both involve lots of strategy the same principals of sports apply in competitive gaming ( defense wins games). There are also other things that take effect like pushing power weapons and in games like halo controlling spawn points, timing weapons, team shooting, distractions.

Most players have their own role just like in real life sports, support player, beast player, team leader to call out strats and everything.

Competitive gaming can sometimes be more intense than real sports. theres no such thing as a time out unless you count the 5 seconds between rounds.

Players need amazing hand eye coordination as well as amazing teamwork and communication.
Competive gaming has some of the best communication which is one of the biggest parts of a sport.

Seriously find me a good basketball team that doesnt communicate when they are on the court and i will give you 50 bucks.

Its not like anyone can be amazing at video games, theres lots of people who naturally have more skill at it than others but even they need to train and learn new things.

Im not just a nerd who is in love with competitive gaming either(i do love it though) ive been playing sports my entire life, basketball, baseball, football, golf - competitive gaming is much more of a sport than golf although i do love golf.

If you can make a living off it, then its definetly not a hobby.
Competitive gaming has so much more depth than people see, i bet an actual pro could go into so much more detail than i did.

LOL but yea at the level the Actual pros play in lik nosedog is lik they are playing in the championship each day say if ur the #1 clan you have pressure everytime you play another clan that is actually decent i was in #3 clan and sometimes i sweated i was so nervous u never know man crazy stuff can happen

MLG = sport
XBL = Hobby

MLG takes a lot of coordination quick thinking teamwork practice plus much more... but normal gaming is not a sport so for all kids who aint competitive GO OUTSIDE@!!!

It makes no sense if your gonna say MLG is a sport but playing online isn't. Because you do the same thing, you don't always face someone better or as good as you in MLG it's vice versa just online too, you don't do anything different then make money and play more lol...Soccer is a sport if you play in the major leagues or not. Honestly gaming just isn't a sport to me, because I see sports as a physcial activity. Overall I think it's a hobby, because hobbies you can go pro in too, like building robots is a hobby but you can face other robots in tournaments and felgercarb. That's just my opinon though.

well it makes sense if online play is a hobby cuz sum ppl just play to have fun and play for no competition at all and then in mlg u have to practice and learn new things and becum better so u can beat the competition

iJI OI IK 3I IR said:
well it makes sense if online play is a hobby cuz sum ppl just play to have fun and play for no competition at all and then in mlg u have to practice and learn new things and becum better so u can beat the competition
Basketball is a sport in any conditions may it be your just starting to play, so how can that make sense? You don't have to be very good at something for it to be a sport. I mean if picking up toenails faster then the other person had to take skill and practice and their was competitions for it, would it be a sport?

SuperJohnx said:
i think mlg is a sport.

you need communication, teamwork, skill, dedication, and practice.

find me a sport that doesn't take that.

InfamouzOne said:
LoL man i luv when i gb little kids that sound like elmo and are terrible at COD4---FREE WIN!

Effekt said:
Basketball is a sport in any conditions may it be your just starting to play, so how can that make sense? You don't have to be very good at something for it to be a sport. I mean if picking up toenails faster then the other person had to take skill and practice and their was competitions for it, would it be a sport?

Thats exactly what i am saying superjohn and like thats how i determine wether something is a sport or not.

Actually infamouz most little kids are better then alot of older people becuase of how much time they have to play, but becuase they have less life experience and most of them have never played on a real sports team and learned the importance of teamwork and communication and practice.

When i was younger i used to do work on kids on the basketball court when we just did pickup games but then when i first started playing basketball for my school in like 4th grade i we were getting worked and i had no idea why, thats when i learned the importance of everything and ive been starting on varsity since freshman year.

In my opinion people who take the basic principals of a good sports team and real life and take that into a video game team, that person is going to have the best team.

Nosedog said:
Thats exactly what i am saying superjohn and like thats how i determine wether something is a sport or not.

Actually infamouz most little kids are better then alot of older people becuase of how much time they have to play, but becuase they have less life experience and most of them have never played on a real sports team and learned the importance of teamwork and communication and practice.

When i was younger i used to do work on kids on the basketball court when we just did pickup games but then when i first started playing basketball for my school in like 4th grade i we were getting worked and i had no idea why, thats when i learned the importance of everything and ive been starting on varsity since freshman year.

In my opinion people who take the basic principals of a good sports team and real life and take that into a video game team, that person is going to have the best team.

Holy Ish! Couldn't have been said any better

MLG turns their games into to much of a competition. When I play a game, I expect to enjoy myself. The few times I have played Xbox360 online, I have had to put up with people calling me a wanker lol and things like that.

MLG wants to turn one of our PS3 games into an MLG ladder (SOCOM:CON) I say f* that. I don't want the ladders being to competitive just enough to keep it going.

Effekt said:
It makes no sense if your gonna say MLG is a sport but playing online isn't. Because you do the same thing, you don't always face someone better or as good as you in MLG it's vice versa just online too, you don't do anything different then make money and play more lol...Soccer is a sport if you play in the major leagues or not. Honestly gaming just isn't a sport to me, because I see sports as a physcial activity. Overall I think it's a hobby, because hobbies you can go pro in too, like building robots is a hobby but you can face other robots in tournaments and felgercarb. That's just my opinon though.

completely agree
if online gaming isnt a sport and just is a hobbie then neither is MLG
personally ive played with some MLG pro's and im not impressed..

they only difference between them and me is they get paid i dont.

thats like saying that someone who plays lacrosse in high school isnt playing a sport because they not getting paid.

makes no sense

Back