My Router

Nnem

Cadet
Hey anyone have some decent experience playing with a wireless router?

I am using one, and a, having some problems with it...

I will go into detail if anyone thinks they can help, thanks :smiley:

Ugh. Having trouble with my own router right now too, I think my mom broke it, grr. Lemme know if you figure things out maybe I have the same problem, I can't access the router at all and my computer sees it in the wireless connection lists, connects, but nothing else happens. Basically my computer is lieing to me that it is connected. Same thing happens with my laptop and PSP, so its definitely something with the router itself.

Heh, Leo also fails to mention that I have super-extensive experience with wireless routers after her last visit here... what's the issue Nnem?

One of my biggest issues was connecting the ADSL modem to the wireless router. For the longest time, I couldn't get it to work... then realised I had to set the modem to bridging mode.

Another doozy that caught me out once was trying to connect it to my ISP and it kept saying the username and password was wrong. But it wasn't. Thing is, it wanted my full e-mail address, rather than just the username.

They are but two of the things that went wrong for me at times.

Every once in a while my computer refuses to connect to my router. I have to spam the IE icon 4-6 times and then it seems like the flood of connection requests gets it up and running somehow. I don't ask why, I just know it works. Wireless networks can be odd things... But once I'm connected I never have any problems and have an excellent internet connection all around.

Nnem- Tell us what kind of problem you are having, I'm sure someone in the hall will be able to help.

Leo- How long has this problem been going on for? Occasionally routers can get bogged down and refuse all connections- that happened on my old one more than my new one. I found that physically unplugging it for a bit solved the problem. Hopefully yours is as simple.

I'm not a techie, I just like to pretend to be one once in a while so feel free to ignore me :smiley:2

I have three different problems showing up on the little network of mine. The first one being...

My router will do fine for an entire day, and then will begin to lag in the evening. This doesnt happpen EVERY night but alot of nights. I know for sure that this is not cause by any downloading, automated torrenting, or anyone else accessing my router...

The second problem is my general lag. My computer will do fine with games and such but when i attempt to surf the internet I lag pretty bad. This problem might be spyware or soemthing like that, I havent looked into it to take care of it. I have been meaning to reformat anywho...

Thirdly! There is one computer that can connect to the router and visit a single web page. Upon each new connection they can navigate to yet one more page. For this problem I have been playing around with the DNS but havent had any new changes, this one like the previous could also be a computer problem, im not too sure :(

Thanks alot guys!

For the first to problems have you tried connecting straight to the modem? The reason I ask is because it could be on your provider's end of things since if during the evening (peak times) they aren't supporting enough bandwidth.

The third one heh no idea haven't experienced that before.

Oh ya also on ur second problem it could also be your firewall settings I experienced some major lag when just surfing when I installed my new router and then just one day fooled around with the firewall settings which were all messed up and seemed to fix the problem.

Just a couple thoughts u may or may not of thought of.

Back