Nocturne's Shadows

Chapter 14

Sydney’s heart was beating rapidly as she lay there trapped in the MRI machine that surrounded her body, giant magnets rotating around her head and hammering sounds deep into her brain. Finally, after 20 minutes, the table retreated from the machine’s horizontal tube. She took a deep breath and quickly looked through the glass at the adjacent room for Sloane. He was gone.

“Where is he?” Sydney asked distressfully.

“Dr. Jain is in the other room,” the nurse answered as she helped Sydney sit up.

“No, not him,” Sydney replied with frustration as her eyes darted around the room for any sign of the man she despised.

“Agent Bristow, no one else has been here,” the nurse spoke. Sydney peered at her with bafflement.

“Sloane?”

“He hasn’t been here,” the nurse responded. Sydney looked around one last time and then back at the nurse. What did she mean he hadn’t been there. She must be lying, Sydney thought.

“Who do you work for?” Sydney asked with determined accusation.

“I work for The CIA, for APO. Why are you asking me this?” The nurse answered with confusion.

“Who asked you to lie to me?” Sydney asked in a forceful tone. Her eyes went stone cold.

“Agent Bristow, I don’t know what your talking about. I did not lie to you.” She replied defensively.

“Sloane was here. I heard him when I was in the machine.”

“Agent Bristow, the machine is loud. There is no way you could hear anyone in the other room. I assure you, he wasn’t here.” The nurse explained with resentment at the accusation. Sydney peered at her with harsh eyes.

“We’re all done here. Why don’t you get dressed,” the nurse requested trying to get away from Sydney’s glare. Sydney got up quickly and left the room, giving the nurse a nasty look as she went.

Sydney quickly made her way up to her father's office, briefly peering around for Sloane on her way. She couldn't see him, but she had no doubt he had been there. Meanwhile, Jack was sitting in his office thumbing through some files.

"Dad, we need to talk," Sydney said as she breezed through the door.

"Sydney, if this is about the tests, I was only looking out for your best interests." He replied stubbornly not wishing to fight with her about it anymore.

"Its not that," Sydney said as she turned her head around, looking for any sign that anyone else was there. No one was. At that, she walked up to him, coming within inches of him and whispered to him in a low tone. "Its Sloane."

Jack's eyes opened wider at the utterance of that name. "Let's go somewhere else." He cautioned and they briskly walked down to the parkade together, getting inside Jack's car. As he started the car and pulled out of the building, he began to inquire more.

"What about Sloane?" he asked.

"He's the head of The Guildiya, dad. And he's planning something," she spoke with interest.

"Where did you get this intel?" Jack asked with skepticism.

"Sark." She replied.

"You went to Sark in prison?"

"No," Sydney replied with confusion, shaking her head, "Sark's not in prison."

"Yes, Sydney, he is." Jack replied confidently. He hadn't received any reports of Sark escaping and he was sure he'd know the minute such a thing happened.

Sydney looked at Jack with deep confusion. She remembered. He was captured months ago. She shook her head, she couldn't understand it. How had she seen him, met with him.

"He must have escaped," she asserted.

"Sydney, I would have heard."

"I have to go," she replied with haste. Sydney quickly started to get out of the car that had been pulled over at an empty lot of warehouses.

"Sydney, wait," Jack said, getting out of the car after her. He grabbed her arm and she swung around to face him.

"Dad, I really have to go!" She exclaimed desperately.

"Where? where are you going to go?" He said with frustration.

"I just need to go figure some things out."

"What things?" He insisted. Sydney met his eyes with a desperate confusion. She didn't understand it. She needed to see him - Sark. To contact him. To know he was real.

"Can you just give me a ride back to my car. I... I'm really tired. I just want to go home." Sydney explained, trying to allay his worries. Jack was skeptical. He knew she was up to something, but he couldn’t really do much with her refusing to talk about it.

“Fine.” He replied. He would figure out another way to find out what she was hiding. He got back in the car with a distasteful look on his face. Sydney followed his lead and he drove to her car, which was parked in the APO parkade. The car ride was silent.

As soon as the car pulled up beside her own, Sydney got out with haste and headed towards her own car, grabbing the car keys out from her purse.

“Sydney,” Jack said. She looked at him wanting to say so much but being unable to tell him the truth. Her eyes were regretful as they met his concerned stare. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Dad, I’m fine. I’m just tired.” It wasn’t a lie. Jack nodded as she got into her car. He watched her pull out of the parking spot and quickly got into his own car intending to follow her.

Sydney drove around, not completely sure where to go. She couldn’t remember how she had contacted Sark. She wasn’t even sure if she had or if it was him who had contacted her. After about an hour of driving, she found herself driving down a long stretch of highway out of the city. Suddenly she saw him. He was leaning up against his black jaguar at the side of the road. No one else was around. Sydney pulled up behind him and proceeded to get out of her car.

“Sydney.” Sark smirked suavely.

Sydney looked at him with anger and confusion, “I don’t understand how you’re here. You were in prison. This... this makes no sense,” she spoke with an exhausted confusion in her voice.

“Sydney, you must know me better than this,” Sark asserted with disappointment.

“Explain it to me!” She exclaimed, tired and irritated.

“That’s not me in prison, Sydney. Its a double,” he explained. After a moment he smiled. “I always thought you, Sydney Bristow, would have figured that out sooner.”

Sydney sighed. She wasn’t crazy, she thought. He was there in front of her. Sark. The real Sark.

“Fine. What info do you have for me?” she asked, moving on.

“Sloane’s in Saint Petersburg meeting with a man named Alexander Miranov over some Rambaldi artifacts.”

“Do you have any idea what his end game is?”

“Sydney, Rambaldi itself is an endgame for him. You must know this.” She nodded. It was true.

“Do you know anything else?”

“Not right now. I’ll get back to you the minute I do.”

“Fine,” she replied in a dead tone as she started getting back into her car.

“Sydney, you know you’re eventually going to have to pay back this favour,” Sark said with a callous smile. Sydney eyed him coldly as she got back into her car.

Meanwhile, Jack was sitting in his car that was pulled over on the same stretch of highway. He watched her from around a bend, his car hidden in the shadows cast by the hillside. He watched her. She was standing there by herself, her car pulled over in the middle of nowhere. He could see her animatedly talking. But no one else was there. Jack’s eyes grew with worry. He quickly got out his cell phone and called Dr. Jain.

“Hello?” Dr. Jain said answering the phone while he sat there looking at Sydney’s MRI.

“This is Jack Bristow. We have a problem.”

Chapter 15

Sydney arrived home in the late afternoon to find Vaughn's car still parked in her driveway. She sighed knowing he was probably wondering where she had been all day since she had left around noon only to quickly pick something up at the store. She grabbed her shoulder bag and walked into her home, her eyes entrenched with dark circles and tired lines. She immediately noticed Vaughn who was talking on his cell phone. His expression was a bothered one as his eyes conveyed the seriousness of the conversation. As she walked in, he saw her and quickly hung up.

"Sydney, I've been wondering when you'd get back," Vaughn said to her immediately, coming up to her and giving her a light kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, yeah, I um... got side tracked," she replied, not really knowing what to say. She was too worn out to think of a good cover story.

"Right." Vaughn nodded to her as he concealed the fact that he had just been on the phone with Jack. "You look tired, why don't you go lie down." Vaughn smiled warmly as he lead her to her bedroom.

Sydney immediately sensed something was wrong, "What are you doing?" she asked with an agitated tone.

"What do you mean? I'm just trying to be nice," he spoke, trying to keep a smile on his face to coax her into resting.

"No, you're hiding something," she snapped at him in a harsh tone. "Who were you talking on the phone with?!"

Vaughn looked down and sighed. "Your father."

"My father? Why?!" Her eyes were mad with fury.

"Sydney, you're not well," he replied trying to reason with her.

"I'm fine! Can't everyone just understand that I am fine!" Her face went red as she screamed at him.

"Sydney, calm down!" Vaughn exclaimed.

"Don't tell me what to do! I can't believe you. You go behind my back to my father!" she yelled.

"I did what I had to do. Sydney, we're both worried about you," Vaughn replied, trying to calm his tone.

"Well don't be!" she said in a low hard tone, her eyes portraying rage.

"Sydney, I need to be. Your behaviour, its cause for concern. A lot of concern."

"How would you know? Have you been following me?" she asked with anger

"No, I don't have to. Its right here in front of me. You look exhausted and-"

"So, I'm tired. That doesn't make me crazy!" she said cutting him off.

Vaughn continued, "You're irritable. You talk to yourself as if someone else is there."

"You're wrong," Sydney yelled in defence of herself.

"I'm not. I saw you. And then you're father saw you drive to the middle of nowhere and have a conversation with no one at the side of a highway."

"He followed me! You two have been conspiring against me?!"

"We're not conspiring against you Sydney. And that's another thing. You're paranoid and obsessed with The Guildiya case, for no reason I can understand," he explained in a frustrated tone.

"I have good reason! You have no idea what I know, Vaughn."

"I don't think you know anything Sydney. How can you when you're sources are imaginary people. You're loosing it Sydney and you need help."

"Go to hell!" she screamed as she grabbed something off her dresser and chucked it at him. It just missed his head and smashed against the wall into shattered pieces of sharp porcelain.

"Sydney... Sydney, just calm down," Vaughn said with a softer tone. Sydney stared him deep in the eye, her own eyes red with fire. After a moment, she looked away and shook her head.

"You know, this is just..." She couldn't find the words so she just stared at him as tears tried to form in her eyes. She forced them away.

"Sydney," Vaughn said softly as he approached her getting ready to put his arm on her shoulder gently. The minute he touched her, though, she swatted his arm away.

"Just leave!" she screamed, pointing to the door to her room. Vaughn stared at her with soft pleading eyes. She stared him down and screamed again, her voice turning shrill. "Leave!"

"Sydney, no. You're not okay. Can't we just sit down and talk about this?" he asked gently.

"Leave!" her eyes went dark with madness and she started shoving him out the door. "Leave now!" Vaughn refused, trying to stand his ground in the room.

"Sydney, please," he replied desperately. Suddenly, he found himself being swiftly thrust out of the room as the door slammed behind him. On the other side of the door, Sydney found herself brimming with tears as she sunk down to the ground against the door.

"Just leave me alone," she whispered. Her eyes stared forward hollowly as they watered up. Finally a single tear started to fall and then quickly, an army of tears fell, streaking her cheeks with fine shiny lines. Her eyes were puffy and red as she wiped away the tears. She took a deep breath and suddenly she couldn't hold back her cries any more. She tried to muffle them with her hand over her mouth, but she was sure Vaughn was standing on the other side listening to her.

"Sydney, please let me in," Vaughn asked gently through the door.

"Go away," she said crying.

"Please," Vaughn tried to open to door slowly.

"Go away!" she said louder as she pushed herself against the door.

"Sydney, I need to come inside," Vaughn pushed the door harder, but Sydney managed to pull the dresser that was beside the door against it, locking him out. "Sydney!" he said in frustration as the banging of him trying to push the door opened against the dresser could be heard loudly.

"Vaughn, just leave!" she cried louder.

"What's going on?!" Someone exclaimed behind Vaughn. It was Nadia, who had just come in from the front door to see him banging against Sydney's door.

"Sydney locked herself in here. She's... she's not well." Vaughn explained.

"Sydney?" Nadia asked softly as she knocked on the door gently. Sydney didn't answer. Instead she sunk down against the wall beside the dresser. She didn't know what to do. She was lost. She was truly lost, she thought as fresh tears fell from her sorrow stricken eyes.

Reality hit her hard as she sat there. She had locked herself in the bedroom from two people she loved as Vaughn and her father conspired against her. Or so she thought with paranoia.

She was so exhausted, but she couldn't let them get in the way of her fight against Sloane. Too much was at stake. She had to save the world from him, she thought. Too tired to sit up anymore, she slunk down to the ground, resting her head on top of her folded arms. Tears continued to fall, leaving little droplets on the floor below her. Sydney took a deep breath and let it out hard, staring forward, her eyes glazed over.

She was lost.

wow,
i couldn`t go online for the last couple of weeks, so i could read the last 5 chapters all at ones. it was great. i got kind if sucked into the dark world of sydney`s mind. it`s great how you great that! congratulations!when sydney was at the beach i thought she would just walk into the water...i don`t know why.it`s great how she comes to her mind / to some sense once in a while.like at the end of this chapter, lying defeated on the floor. great.
keep up that good style.
thank you
suzy

Chapter 16

"I'm calling Jack," Vaughn said immediately after he had given up on trying to force his way through the door. Nadia nodded with worried eyes.

Vaughn got out his cell phone and dialled Jack's number.

"Jack, its Vaughn. Sydney, she's..." he paused as words like gone crazy and insane ran through his mind, "She's locked herself in her bedroom. Needless to say, I'm very worried about her." Vaughn sighed hard as he rubbed his forehead, wrinkles of worry deeply portrayed.

"I'll be right there," Jack replied with concern as he immediately put down the files he was working on and rushed to his car.

"Vaughn, what happened?" Nadia finally asked.

"She's sick. She's just... sick," he said shaking his head in disbelieve. The women who he knew to be strong and who could fight through anything was now mentally unwell, he thought.

Nadia looked at him with worry-stricken eyes wanting to know more. "I don't understand," she replied with confusion.

"She's been talking to people that aren't there. I think she's loosing it." His eyes grew stricken with terror at the idea. It made his stomach crawl to see Sydney like that.

"There must be a mistake. You've actually seen her?" Nadia said in disbelief, having faith in Sydney, knowing her older sister was strong and wise. Someone she looked up to.

"I wish it was a mistake. I've seen her. Jack's seen her." Vaughn replied, shaking his head.

"I don't know. It just doesn't make sense. There must be another explanation." Nadia asserted.

"Nadia, look at her, she's locked herself in her room after screaming at me. I've never seen her scream at anyone like that before." Vaughn tried to explain.

"I know you two have been having problems. She's just frustrated and she hasn't been sleeping well. Its making her irritable. But she's not crazy. I mean, this is Sydney we're talking about," Nadia said refusing to believe anything different.

"I want to believe you Nadia, but I've seen too much. I mean, remember how she just ran off before. She's been acting so strange. I just know there is something very wrong."

Nadia shook her head and walked over the Sydney's bedroom door, knocking lightly. "Sydney, will you at least let me in? We can talk if you want." Nadia said gently, knowing Sydney needed someone on her side right now.

"I can't Nadia," Sydney replied quietly, just loud enough for the sound of her voice to seep through the door to Nadia's ear. Sydney pulled herself off the floor. She realized they must have called her father by now. The cavalry was on its way, she thought. As exhausted as she was, she knew she needed to escape from the house.

"Sydney?" Nadia asked.

Sydney didn't respond. Instead she looked towards her bedroom window, seeing her escape. She grabbed her bag and quickly made her way over to it, opening it and climbing out. She was lucky enough to be on ground level. Sydney quickly snuck around her building, crawling below any windows and made her way to her car.

"Sydney, I want you to know I'm here for you if you need me, okay," Nadia said in a gentle tone as spoke through the bedroom door.

All of a sudden, Vaughn and Nadia heard a car start. They both looked at each other with bafflement. Vaughn jaunted quickly over to the front door, Nadia tracing behind him, and opened it to see Sydney speeding off in her silver sedan. Vaughn's face melted into dismay as he watched her leave. He looked at Nadia, his eyes staggered.

"Should we go after her?" Nadia asked with alarm.

"I don't know. I just..." he paused, "I don't really know what to do anymore."

"I'm sure she'll be back. She just needs to clear her head," Nadia tried to reassure though even she was worried.

"Good, Jack's here," Vaughn said as a black government issue sedan pulled up. Jack immediately got out of the car with a concerned look of inquisition on his face.

"What happened?" Jack asked trying to burry the signs of his trepidation.

"Sydney took off in her car," Nadia stated.

"She must have climbed out of her bedroom window," Vaughn added, rubbing his forehead with discouragement.

Jack nodded with an element of despair. "I talked to Dr. Jain. He has some preliminary findings to report regarding the tests he preformed on Sydney this morning. We should head there now," Jack explained. "Nadia, you stay behind and look for Sydney." Vaughn then joined Jack in his car as Nadia got into her own. The both drove off, apprehension filling both cars.

Sydney didn't really know where she was heading, she just continued driving down the highway, one that contoured the shoreline. Her eyes followed the beach as she drove, the waves crashing up against the shore looked so entrancing. Not knowing where to go, she decided to just follow the Pacific Coast Highway. After awhile, the beaches got less people filled and eventually she pulled off the highway to an empty spot on the shoreline.

The fresh ocean air hit her the moment she stepped onto the sand. The sun was hitting the bottom of the horizon, bright orange and red painting the landscape. She plunked herself down in the sand about a foot from the edge of the water and listened to the sound of the waves crashing down. A cool breeze brushed past her and she lay down, her dark hair piling down on the beach floor beneath her head. She just watched the ocean, and lay there, too tired to move.

After about an hour, the sky had turned navy blue and the first stars were coming out. Sydney hadn't moved since she had lay down, her eyes open however and fixed on the horizon in front of her.

After a moment, she noticed a light reflecting in the water. She looked up to the sky to see if it was the moon, but it was moving. Sydney pulled herself up, sand falling off her already messy hair and dishevelled looking clothing. Turning around, she realized it was a flashlight, someone was walking along the beach towards her. Quickly she got up and ran towards her car.

Sydney peered out at the person from behind her car, crouching down. She couldn't tell who it was. For all she knew, it could have been Vaughn or her father looking for her. She didn't want to wait there and find out. She needed to get away, she couldn't let them capture her and lock her up in some hospital. She assumed that would be the result of their conspiracy.

As she pulled back on the road, she noticed a police car parked about a 50 feet away. Driving past it, she noticed it was empty. Perhaps they'd sent out a police car to search for her. It didn't matter, she would be long gone by dawn, she thought as she continued driving aimlessly north on the highway.

As day broke, Sydney felt the sharp sun on her eyes. She shielded herself from the brightness briefly, while she felt around for her sunglasses. Putting them on, she spied the empty parking lot for any signs of people. No one was there. She looked at her watch to see that it was nearly 6am. She had pulled into the parking lot several hours earlier after exhaustion stalled her ability to continue driving. She had no idea how far she had driven. The only thing she knew was that her stomach was growling with the pains of hunger. She hadn't eaten anything yesterday. Sydney started the car and drove around looking for something opened. After a few minutes she found a diner that was open at 6am.

"Hello," a lady called from behind the counter as Sydney walked in. Sydney smiled and took a seat at a booth, the sun pooling light around the table.

Opening the menu, Sydney sighed. Nothing looked appetizing to her.

"What'll you have?" The lady asked in a rugged tone, her eyes filled with that droopy 6am fatigue. Sydney noticed her nametag read Sue Anne.

"Um, I guess I'll have the pancake breakfast with some coffee," Sydney replied unsure.

"Sure thing deary."

“Wait.” Sydney called out as Sue Anne was about to leave. The heavy woman with greying hair in a sea foam green restaurant uniform turned back around. “Do you know any good hotels around?”

“I don’t know about good, but there’s a decent one a couple blocks north of here. Its a Motel 6.”

“Thanks,” Sydney replied and Sue Anne quickly headed back to work.

After an hour, Sydney pushed aside what was left of her breakfast. She found herself to have no appetite despite her earlier hunger. She put out some bills on the table and quickly took off for the motel.

While Sydney had been taking off up the coast, Jack and Vaughn had immediately rushed over to APO to speak to Dr Jain. They were both silent with nervous despair as they walked towards the infirmary. The doctor greeted them at the end of the hallway, Sydney’s file in hand.

“As you know, I have some preliminary results,” the doctor started as he walked them into his office.

“What did you find?” Jack asked eagerly in a solid tone.

“When Sydney was affected with the Nocturne, her blood levels showed some anomalies. Specifically there were elevated Melatonin levels. Her current blood work shows the same.” Dr Jain explained.

“So she’s still affected with Nocturne?” Vaughn asked with confusion.

“No. But when I ran the MRI on her, I noticed that her pineal gland is enlarged-”

“But it wasn’t before?” Jack asked suspiciously, wondering if the doctor had missed something.

“No. But the Cahill’s pineal glands were both twice the regular size upon autopsy.”

“That makes no sense. Why would Sydney be showing signs of Nocturne and have an enlarged pineal gland when she hasn’t had Nocturne in her system for weeks?” Vaughn asserted with frustrated bafflement.

“I suspect that there have been lingering effects of the drug. It is not unheard of for a drug to permanently change the brain. In Sydney’s case, it is likely that Nocturne altered the function of her pineal gland and as its chemical balance was thrown off, changes in her brain have continued to take place,” Dr. Jain explained.

“And this is permanent?” Jack inquired with a deep worry hidden behind his steady voice.

“The change in her brain structure is. However, there is a possibility that with medications we can attempt to balance her brain chemistry and normalize her behaviour. Illness resulting from this sort of thing is very uncommon, however, and so there are no standard treatments available. But we can try.”

“First we have to find her,” Vaughn stated with a misery in his edgy voice. The three of them exchanged fretful looks, not knowing where Sydney could be.

Chapter 17

The stale air was sucked into her lungs as she yawned. The motel room was bare and dingy. Sydney lay on the bed, overtop of the stained floral bed spread, as her eyes slowly opened and closed. Her eyelids were heavy with the exhaustion of having travelled all night. Even though day had broken hours before, Sydney felt an intense need to sleep. Her eyes slid into a peaceful daze.

Just as she neared a state of sleep, Sydney felt her skin crawl with the presence of someone. A hand was on her shoulder. Touching her. She forced her droopy eyes opened as the hand shook her shoulder. She could hear her name being called with insistence. Looking up, she could see it was Sark.

"Sydney, get up," Sark said, persisting in waking her.

"What do you want?" She asked groggily. After a moment, she sat up, coming to her full senses and aroused herself out of that dazed state.

"I figured you'd want to know the information I had immediately. It concerns Sloane," Sydney's eyes perked up.

"What do you know?"

"Remember the high-energy pulse weapon Sloane used to incinerate those people in the church a few years back. The one he intended to use on Alia Gizabi?" Sark inquired.

“How could I forget it?” Sydney said feeling the doom associated with it.

“Sloane’s men reacquired it.” Sydney’s eyes widened.

“What is he planning?” her voice brimming to the edge with worry.

“He’s going after the CIA this time,” Sark explained with significance.

Sydney’s eyes grew tense, widening to show the terror she felt. “What’s the specific target?” she asked with exacerbation.

“APO.”

Sydney held in a gasp, as she looked away, her eyes burning with the need to cry. She couldn’t take this anymore. Sloane. She had to stop him. People could die. The people she loved were going to die! she screamed to herself, ringing through the depth of her mind.

“You have to help me stop him,” she replied, her voice quivering.

“What’s in it for me?” Sark asked glibly.

“Do you have no heart?!” She asked with a loud harsh tone.

“People die everyday Sydney. This is no different than any of those other times,” Sark replied with little emotion.

“Yes, people die. You kill them. These...” she stuttered emotionally, “these are people I know and love!” She stared at him with intense fire in her eyes. She wanted to cry. She wanted to hurt him in fact, as he stood there so callous in front of her. But she needed him. And she could never let him see her cry. Sydney took in a deep breath as she eyed him hard.

“Sydney, do you really think you can take down Sloane?” Sark asked seriously. “I mean, no offence, but I like to come out on the winning side.”

“I can and I will take him down,” she asserted in an arduous tone.

“You already know where you can find him. I don’t think you need my help to eliminate him.”

“I need backup. No one else believes me. You’re the only person I have.”

Sark smiled at the idea of being the only person she had, but stood his ground. Money was more important. “Sydney, you don’t need my help. Sloane trusts you. It will make him an easy target.”

“Fine, don’t help. Why would I ever expect more from you?!” she replied harshly, eyeing him with a piercing look.

Sark smiled. “I have to go. I have business to attend to.” Sydney gave him a crude look as he briskly walked out the door. Before he left, he turned to her, “good luck.”

As soon as his figure disappeared through the door, Sydney crashed down on the bed, lying face up at the ceiling. She gasped in a laborious breath and held it there, scrunching up her face with furious emotions. Tears began to brim her eyes. She let out the gasp of air forcefully and sucked in another breath and let it out again. Tears finally fell. She had to do it, she thought. There was no other way. But she'd never killed anyone, not like that. She wasn't a murderer like him, like Sloane.

What if he's there now?

What if the weapon is set up?

What if they are all about to perish?

Sydney briskly sat up at that thought, her mind rushing with the sounds of her own anxious thoughts. She grabbed her stuff and headed for the car.

She swerved onto the lane that drove up to Sloane's mansion. She had been driving for hours, her forehead beaded with sweat as the heat of the afternoon had swept over her. Her pale coloured tank top was noticeably dirty and her black pants wrinkled. She had been wearing them for 2 days strait. She was dishevelled looking with her hair unwashed and only finger combed in the last couple days. She never had taken notice of it herself, she simply brushed on in survival mode.

Sydney stopped the car just before she was in vision of the large house. She breathed deeply and slowly, wiping her forehead as she turned to rear view mirror to reflect her face. She swallowed hard as she looked at her worn face. It looked so tired and desperate. Lost. Sydney felt a tickle in her throat as a tear formed in her eye. Sucking in her breath, she forced it away. Still, her eyes were lost.

Trying to gather her self up, nerves and rampant thoughts into focus, Sydney took out her gun and held it up on its side. She stared at it, the shiny black catching the light of the hot sun. It would be too loud. She put the gun down. She needed something else. She came prepared. She took out the string instrument, simple fishing line with two wooden handles at the end. She'd choke him. That was the way. Sydney traced her finger across it. Her breath quivered. She looked back into the mirror, her eyes hardened. It was time.

Sydney started the car again and drove up to the gate of Sloane's estate where she met with an intercom voice demanding to know her identity and business with Sloane. It was simple. She was a colleague. And to him, a friend, the daughter he never had. She hated him and yet he still thought of her in high regards. And she knew it. It was her advantage. The gates opened and she continued to drive, parking up at the front of the house.

As Sydney got out of her car, she was met with two guards. She knew they were heavily armed. It didn't matter, not yet, she reminded herself.

"Mr Sloane is awaiting you in his office," a man said greeting her in a refined tone. The man, dressed perfectly in a black suite, walked her towards Sloane's office. He eyed her while he lead the way as she was far removed from the dignified looking people who usually attended Sloane's presence.

Finally they met the dark wood doors of his office. As Sydney walked in, she noticed him standing behind his large mahogany desk. He was smiling. His eyes twinkled with delight to see her. It made her sick. Her stomached crawled as their eyes met. Sloane immediately walked towards her.

"Sydney," his eyes warmed as he spoke her name, "How nice it is to see you. Quite a surprise as well." Sydney smiled back deceitfully as she nodded her head. Sloane motioned her to the brown leather couch. As she sat herself down, he quickly seated himself next to her, inches away from her.

"So, tell me, what brings you here?" He asked curiously.

Sydney realized at that moment that she didn't quite have a plan of action. Was she going to just go for it? Was she going to make small talk?

"Um," she started. Suddenly she brought her hands to her eyes and started to weep. "I'm just, I'm lost, and Vaughn and my father, they don't understand. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm so lost. I know, this is silly, me coming to you like this. You must think I've lost my mind. I'm just so tired." She looked up at him, her eyes portraying the exhaustion that she felt. Tears were streaming down her face.

Sloane wasn't at all taken aback by this. Instead, he was filled with an odd sense of fatherly satisfaction. She had come to him. He felt close to her, as if he was the father she never had. A warm, loving person unlike her own father. That was what he told himself anyways, as he put his hand on her shoulder.

"Sydney, I'm here for you."

"Its just, I've been having these nightmares. I am just so tired and lost. And... and..." she sobbed into her hands. Sloane rubbed her back gently as his insides tickled with a sense of pride over his fatherliness.

After a moment, Sydney spoke through her tears. "I'm sorry I'm coming to you like this. I know its so unlike me. I should pull myself together. I'm horrible for being so weak, but..." she sniffled.

"Sydney, its okay. I've always thought of myself as a father to you, someone you could come to in your time of need," Sloane replied softly as he pulled her into a hug. While his ego soared, Sydney felt like she was going to be physically ill, but she had to keep the facade going, even if she felt the need to crawl out of her own skin and burn it.

"Thank you," she muffled in between sobs as she took her arms and gathered them around his back, hugging onto him tighter. She started to pull the fishing line out from her sleeve.

"Sydney, I'm glad you came to me." Sloane whispered into her ear, and then gently kissed her forehead. Her eyes flashed with rage as her fiery insides burned. She grasped onto the line, swiftly knotting it around his neck, and pulled tight.

Chapter 18

His eyes flashed with alarm as the line pulled around his neck, as Sydney gripped onto it tighter and pulled with all her strength and rage. Her own eyes portrayed the violent madness within, her face red with fury.

Crimson shades washed over his face. He struggled, swinging his arms around, knocking over a lamp and sending some priceless artifacts crashing to the ground.

Sydney sucked in a full breath and held it as she pulled harder, steadying her nerves and focusing her mind. She stared deep into his eyes.

Purple boiled onto his face as his blood darkened without oxygen. His hands found hers and began fumbling around to loosen her grip.

Sydney's eyes narrowed as her face scrunched up in an exacerbated determination. Her hands began to hurt from pulling so hard. Her head began to throb. She continued pulling despite his hands digging away at hers.

His eyes went dark with a confused betrayal as he stared at her. Light was sucked away from his vision into a void of blackness, of nothingness as his brain suffocated. His hands grew weaker and his fingers loosened from around her own.

Her eyes widened and she let out the breath she had been holding as his arms flopped down to the side and his body went limp. He slumped over her. She quickly swallowed hard and pushed him down the ground with a thump. Sydney's breathing went rapid and shallow as the colour seeped from her face. Beads of sweat were adorning her forehead. Tears began to form in her eyes.

He was dead.

She didn't know whether to smile or cry.

Sloane was dead.

Sydney stood up unsteadily as she looked at his heavy body, clothed in a fine suite, limp on the floor. Tears fell and rage formed. She wanted to throw her fists at him and beat him to death with all her anger for everything he'd ever done to her. But he was already dead. She was so angry she didn't know what to do.

Suddenly something shiny caught her eye. It was an elegant letter opener glimmering in fine silver. In an exhausted fury, she grabbed it, tears streaking her face, and jabbed it hard into his neck. She paused as she watched for blood. There was only a small trickle as his circulation had already stopped. She wanted to see him bleed to death. But he was already dead. She'd already killed him, watched the life seep from his eyes.

Quickly she let go of the letter opener in his neck and stood up, wiping away her tears. There was a mirror in the corner of his office. Peering into it, she noticed her red eyes. She stared at herself in awe and shock. He was dead. She'd killed him. He was dead. She'd killed him. It repeated over and over in her brain.

After a moment, she realized she needed to get out of there. She put on the sunglasses that had been hanging off the top of her shirt, and casually walked out of the office, glimpsing at his body as she left. A smile crept on her face. Sloane was dead. Sloane was dead. She walked coolly down the hallway where a guard dressed in a black suite was standing. She smiled lightly to him.

"Sloane requested he not be disturbed," she stated, her voice casual. The guard nodded and stood aside as she walked out the front door. Quickly, she got into her car and pulled away. As soon as she exited through the gates, she sped up, racing down the lane towards the main roads. She had done it.

As Sydney drove onto the busy highway, she noticed the small patch of Sloane's blood on her pinkie finger. Suddenly, all the blood drained from her face at the realization. She'd killed Sloane, her mortal enemy. But he was more than that. He was a person, and she sucked the life out of him. She murdered him. But he was evil. She was meant to kill him. It was all so hard to wrap her mind around. Sydney kept on driving as her body went numb and her eyes glazed over. She swallowed hard, her mouth dry from breathing through her mouth. Spotting a gas station, she pulled into it.

Sydney walked out of the car, her legs jelly beneath her. She went into the washroom and washed the blood off her hand. Seeing herself in the mirror, tears felt like they needed to fall, a lump in her throat, but she couldn't cry. She was too numb for the tears to fall. Too dried up. Bending down to the sink, she splashed cold water over her face, sweeping away the sweat. Without looking back in the mirror, she quickly left and went back to her car and headed back onto the highway.

After an hour of driving, Sydney pulled over. She found herself to be falling into complete exhaustion. Her eyes were red, but long dried up from the tears that had fallen before. Her lips were pale, her skin pallid. She felt cold and had no extra clothing to cover up in. No blanket. Nothing but herself, vulnerable against the breeze of the sea as it brushed past her.

As she walked from her car towards the empty beach at the side of the highway, she felt some sense of calm. The sun was low in the sky, falling closer to the horizon as it started to cast off paintings of light gold and orange over the distance. Taking her black leather boots and socks off, she placed her tired feet into the fine nude sand.

Sydney stumbled a bit as she walked towards the shoreline, her legs clumsy below her draggy body. Finally she reached the tip of the water, after what felt like a long bogged-down distance, though no more than 100 feet. She let the gentle waves of the evening sea wash up against her toes and after a few minutes, flopped down hard on the sand, just inches away from the water line.

Her head felt heavy, her eyes dozing and her brain dazed. She could feel nothing as her body was bathed in the ocean air except the cold tracing around the inside of her body. Fatigue felt like it was heaving over her so she gently lay her head down on the sand. Watching the waves of the water in the distance tranquilized her to her surroundings. She was entranced in the ocean.

Sydney continued lying there as the sun descended into the horizon and the sky went stark red, bathing her own body in warm colours. She remained completely still, only breathing in and out slowly and shallowly. Her eyes remained blurred as they stared out over the ocean, its peace consuming her and gently cradling her into an ensweetened numbness. The night went black and soon the moon’s light glowed over her pale skin. Sydney remained still, her body lying like a dead weight in the sand. The trance that had overcome her was too heavy to wake from, the numbness too engrossing, and so she lay in the sand alone on an empty beach as stars appeared and the world grew into darkness.

Sorry I haven't responded until now, but I just saw that you had updated. Okay, so I know that technically Sydney murdered Sloane, but does it really count? I mean, he is a monster after all. It's just a shame she didn't get to do it sooner. Anyway, great upate, and I can't wait to see what happens to Sydney on the beach.

Chapter 19

The darkness crowded her eyes with looming visions as she tossed and turned in her sleep. Suddenly a piercing light cast itself upon her retina, blinding her as it grew. Peering out, she noticed a black figure moving against the light. It was coming closer to her. Faster. Running. Yelling. Screaming. Sydney quickly got up, trying to hear the person, a woman. As she neared, Sydney noticed her bathed in red. Her face was shadowed except for her eyes. They were dark, sinister looking and devious. Her hair long and scraggly. She was noticeably dirty, brown and muddy against the red blood seeped into her clothes from head to toe.

Sydney's heart began to race, pounding hard into her chest. Her eyes narrowed and her breathing quickened. The woman began reaching out to Sydney as she came within feet of her. Quickly Sydney turned around and started to run, stumbling in the sand as her legs were stiff beneath her. The woman pursued her, screaming louder.

"You...."

Sydney gulped hard as she ran faster, not saying anything in return, but the woman continued to near her.

"You... Sewn... I know..."

Sydney sprinted faster as the woman's voice grew behind her. She felt a light touch on her shoulder, peering behind her, she realized the woman was within arms length. Sydney simply galloped, barrelling over logs and stones, and kicking up a trail of sand. The screaming ensued, still incomprehensible.

"I know... Mer ... Sewn... you...”

Suddenly, Sydney’s legs collapsed beneath her as she tumbled over some driftwood. Trying to get up, she inched her way ahead, but fell face forward into the sand as she felt her ankle sprained beneath her. Sydney tried to claw forward, but it was useless. The woman’s body barrelled into Sydney’s as she grabbed onto her with bloody hands. The mysterious women’s eyes dug into Sydney’s with her ensnaring glare. Suddenly, Sydney understood what she was saying.

“I know...”

Sydney’s eyes widened as the woman spoke. What did she know?

“I know...”

The woman suddenly began choking as dark scarlet blood began gaping from her mouth and onto the nude sandy beach. Sydney quickly tried to scatter away, her leg sending out a crying pain as she put weight on it, but the woman grabbed hold of her. As she coughed, words came flying out of her mouth.

“I know! It was you!” she coughed.

Sydney stared at her as the woman grasped onto her arm with a strong hold. She continued coughing and choking on her own blood.

“You...” she gagged.

Suddenly the woman fell down to the ground, facing up towards the sun as it burnt down on her face. She gurgled up some more blood as she struggled to get out what she needed to say. Finally she turned her eyes towards Sydney, piercing into her with claws. Sydney gasped at the sight of her as she unhooked the woman’s grasp from her arms.

“You murdered Sloane.”

Sydney’s eyes widened as she stared into the woman’s deviant eyes, bloodshot and black. She knew.

All of a sudden everything went black. Sydney woke up, her head pounding, as the quiet waves of the evening brushed up against the shore. Looking around, she realized she was alone. She was alone.

“Jack,” Vaughn spoke in a cautioned tone, “We’ve been looking for two days and we still haven’t found her.”

“We will.” Jack stated simply, as he continued thumbing through some papers. In actuality, he was quite concerned about Sydney.

“We’ve already tried to follow her trail and its come up empty. How are we going to find her?! Every minute she is out there, alone and sick, there is a chance that she’s in danger. If she isn’t already.”

“I realize that is a possibility,” Jack replied in an annoyed tone. Underlying his tough exterior was a mind frantic with the same concerns as Vaughn. They had already searched traffic camera footage looking for her car. Nothing. She wasn’t on any surveillance footage at train stations or the airport. Nor had she used her credit or bank card. There were no sightings of her by any agents or police as they scoured their region of California. She was Sydney Bristow and she knew how to cover her trail.

“Jack, I’m worried.” Vaughn said, changing his tone, a hint of terrified sorrow in it. Instead of letting himself fill with annoyance, Jack looked at Vaughn’s concerned face and matched it inside. He felt like his cool exterior were to crumble as the fluttering inside his stomach grew. His daughter was sick. Psychotic and paranoid. Lost. And he couldn’t find her, save her.

“Jack,” Weiss said nervously as he walked into Jack’s office. His eyes were grave.

Vaughn’s stomach immediately dropped as Eric stood there. She was dead wasn’t she, he thought with desperate despair. His eyes watered a little as he sucked in the tears and looked up at Eric.

Jack reluctantly looked up at Agent Weiss, his head pervaded with images of Sydney lying dead in a field, gun shots in her, or floating in the ocean face down. He swallowed hard as he put on his tough facade.

“Yes?” Jack asked. Weiss looked at Vaughn briefly and back at Jack, not really looking him in the eye.

“It’s Sloane.” Weiss answered. Jack and Vaughn both grew curious but confused looks on their face.

“What about Sloane?” Vaughn asked with immediacy.

“He’s dead.”

Vaughn stared at Eric with wide eyes and then peered over at Jack, whose own eyes had gone stale. Jack didn’t know what to think. He quickly put on his game face and resumed his CIA role.

“What happened?” Jack asked coolly.

“He was found murdered in his office.”

“How?” Jack proceeded to ask. It was curious to him. Sloane, his rival, yet associate was dead after all these years. And it wasn’t even by Jack’s own hand.

“Strangled.”

“Do we know who killed him?” Jack asked.

“Um, that’s the thing.” Eric started with a touch of nervousness in his voice.

“What?!” Jack prompted with irritation.

“It was Sydney.”

Man! I'm offically addicted to this fic. I'm sooo happy Sloane's dead, it's just too bad Syd was the one to do it. Oh well, someone had to. :P

Suddenly something shiny caught her eye. It was an elegant letter opener glimmering in fine silver. In an exhausted fury, she grabbed it, tears streaking her face, and jabbed it hard into his neck. She paused as she watched for blood.

wow she did it...hell, yes.
it had to be done...in this universe it had to be done.
it`s a pleasure reading your fiction
suzy

Chapter 20

Jack's eyes went fraught with dire concern. Sydney. It was Sydney. She'd killed Sloane. Jack shook his head at the idea. Was there even concrete proof, he thought? But then again, she suspected him of being the head of The Guildiya, of being their enemy and after everything he had done to her it would take a lot of strength for her not to kill him. Jack pondered over this for a moment as Vaughn immediately questioned Eric.

"There must be a mistake!" Vaughn stated desperately. This was Sydney. Syd. She would never do anything like that except in self-defence. She was above Sloane. Above murdering him. There must be more to it, Vaughn thought nervously.

"There's surveillance footage that clearly shows her entering and exiting his property at the time of his murder. And the guards saw her. She had been in his office for awhile before leaving," Eric explained.

"But they didn't see her? If she killed him, why wouldn't they have intervened?" Vaughn questioned.

"She was alone with Sloane in his office. Sloane had welcomed her in. And as she left, she told them he had asked not to be disturbed. Its not exactly like they would consider Sydney a danger. They believed her. I know it makes no sense, but the evidence is pretty concrete," Eric continued, a fraught look on his face. He too didn't want to believe it. He was also thinking of Nadia. She didn't know yet. She was expected in soon though and he asked to be the one to tell her. Sloane was her father and Sydney was the sister she loved with all her heart. It wasn't exactly something she would take even remotely easily.

"Jack, this makes no sense," Vaughn said turning to him.

"Vaughn, I don't want to believe it either, but its true. Look, Nadia's gonna be here any minute, I need to be there when she arrives." Weiss stated direly. Jack nodded and Eric left.

Jack turned to Vaughn with a hard look on his face, "I'll review the footage and talk to the guards personally. Keep looking for Sydney."

Vaughn sighed hard and nodded to Jack as he left to pursue any trace of a lead he could find.

As Jack arose from his chair, he felt a sick pain in his stomach. He could only hope there was a mistake as he headed towards Marshall to review the footage. His face was marked with a grave expression as he headed around the corner of APO into the tech room. As Marshall noticed him, he gulped nervously. He himself knew it wasn't a mistake as unbelievable as it was. Syd had killed Sloane.

Nadia swiftly entered APO with a tired look of concern on her face. They had called her in, her pager indicating she needed to get there immediately. She thought of Sydney, trying not to let emotions overcome her, as she readied herself for the bad news. They hadn't found her. They had and she was hurt critically. They had and she was dead. Nadia's stomach churned as she walked in.

Eric stood at the opening to the office. His face portrayed a deep sorrow on it as he saw Nadia walking towards him. As she noticed him, she quickly rushed over to him, a questioning look on her face.

"Sydney?" she asked. Her eyes trying to hold back the worried tears.

"Uh, we haven't found her yet," Eric stated, his voice tired and beaten by what he was about to say. "Its your father."

Nadia's face turned into a whole new grim. She hadn't entirely trusted him. To find out he had betrayed them, it was not something she could bare to take. He was her family, her father, he loved her. And she felt compelled to love him back. Nadia's eyes widened as she looked into Eric's.

"What?" she asked anxiously. Her stomach was filled with fluttering sickness.

"Um, why don't we go over here." Eric said, leading her to a quiet corner of APO.

"Eric, what is it?" She asked desperately.

"He was killed."

Nadia's eyes went dark with pain and swirling emotions. She immediately looked down to the depth of the ground as her eyes brimmed up with tears. Her tears fell right away, hard, splashing to the ground. She didn't know what to think. All she could think was it hurt.

"Nadia," Eric whispered quietly as he lightly put his hand on her shoulder in comfort. She looked up at him, her eyes desperately sorrow filled.

"What..." she stuttered, "What happened?"

Seeing the pain in her eyes, Eric looked away, not wanting to cause her any more with the grimness as to how her father had died, as to who had killed him.

"Eric?" She insisted, her eyes red and puffy.

"Sydney."

"What about her?" Nadia asked with confusion.

"It was her."

"What do you mean?"

"She killed your father." Eric said finally, swallowing hard as he waited for her tears to worsen, for the flood of pain to overcome her.

Nadia stared at Eric, her eyes confused at first, then filling with more tears. Looking at him deep in the eyes, she started shaking her head and uttering no... no... quietly

Eric quickly pulled her into a tight but gentle hug and rubbed her back softly with feather hands. She whimpered into his suite, choking on her tears, her cries. At that moment, she felt completely lost and desperate. It made no sense. After a moment, Nadia pulled out of the hug and looked at Eric, wiping her tears away.

"Eric, it doesn't make sense. Why? Why would Sydney kill my father?" Nadia asked broken heartedly.

"I don't know," Eric responded, shaking his head.

"I know she hasn't been well, been acting strange, but this? I mean its not something she would do. Despite everything my father has done to her, she would never just go out and kill him." New tears began to fall as Nadia's heart filled with confusion.

"Nadia, I'm sorry," Eric said gently, stroking her back. Nadia nodded exhaustively, not knowing how to process any of it. Her father was dead. Sydney had killed him. He was dead and she'd killed him. Nadia's heart ached.

Sitting up from her cozy spot in the sand, Sydney yawned. The moonlight cast an eerie glow over the water as waves gently crashed against the shore. Looking at her watch, she realized it was only a few hours past midnight. Stretching out her arms and yawning some more, Sydney realized she should probably get off the beach before day break, before someone found her there alone and realized she had spent the night there. She didn't really know where to go though.

As Sydney got up off the beach and brushed the sand off her clothes, she noticed a figure standing over her. Darkness crowded around the person's face, not letting Sydney know their identity. Her heart raced as she thought it could be a cop or someone from The Guildiya after revenge for killing their leader. Sydney gasped as the person put their hand on her shoulder and quickly went to run.

They knew, she thought, and they were there to get her. The Guildiya, Sloane's henchmen, someone. She was caught.

Chapter 21

The dark figure loomed over Sydney. Her heart pounded rapidly into her chest wall as the light of the moon disappeared behind the person's head. A cold hand reached out for her shoulder and she shuddered, then quickly moved to get away. But the hand latched onto her, pulling her back. All of a sudden, the figure stepped out of the way of the moon and its eerie glow was cast upon the person, half lighting up their face. Eyes shone with a twinkle of the stars as a wide smirk appeared on the face.

"Sydney," the person spoke casually.

"Go away!" she crowed in return as she grabbed onto the person's arm and began twisting it, releasing it from her shoulder as the person, a man, groaned in pain.

"Sydney, stop!" he urged. "Its me!"

"Go the hell away!" she growled at the man, twisting his arm tighter and pushing him down into the sand. Despite her body having been unfed and overworked, her strength grew strong, adrenaline rushing throughout it. Burying his head into the sand, she lowered her tone, "What the hell do you want with me?"

"Sydney, its Sark!" he cowered beneath her force. Suddenly, Sydney's eyes went wide with realization and she released her grip. Sark quickly sat up, composing himself.

"Had I known you'd attack me in the dark, I'd have come in daylight," he scoffed.

"Well what did you expect? I didn't know it was you. You have no idea whose after me!" She replied with agitation.

"Its funny. You'd think after murdering a man like Sloane, that the world would thank you, put you on a pedestal. And yet, here you are hiding out."

"They think I'm crazy!" she gnarled, grabbing onto his shirt, and looking him deep in the eye. "They're after me!"

"Who thinks your insane? I mean I'm starting to think you are. But I promise you, I won't lock you up. I much prefer you this way, desperately fiery. Its very sexy." Sark's face grew with a cocky smile as he thought of what she'd look like if she stripped her clothes off then and there and went skinny dipping in the ocean. Suddenly his face stung with the sharp slap of her hand whipping against it. Sydney glared at him as if a devilish beast had undertaken her.

"Don't even think about me! Don't even imagine your hands on me, or your mouth inches from mine. It will never happen!" She snide at him. It only made him smile more, think more eagerly.

"Sydney, resist me all you like. But when it comes to the men in your life, whose the one here with you now? Vaughn? Its rather peculiar that he is the one you're running from. And here I am," Sark pointed out with his cocky demeanour.

Sydney's eyes grew dark as she grabbed onto Sark's neck and squeezed just enough to see his eyes cower. Speaking in a low and harsh growling tone, Sydney spoke "don't ever speak to me about Vaughn again." She threw him down the sand, ignoring the contemptuous smirk that wouldn't disappear from his face, even as his eyes portrayed a level of cowardliness to her. “You will never have me. The thought of you makes me want to vomit. I am only here with you now because you are a professional resource to me. That is it. That is all it will ever be. So take your sick little mind and look at someone else. Someone pathetic enough for you.”

Sark’s smile faded into resentment as her bitter words etched into him. As much as he loved her fiery side, he didn’t love her insults, her contempt for him. He was helping her after all and she showed no professional courtesy towards him, let alone the gratefulness he felt he deserved to be shown. His face grew irritated as his eyes sulked.

“You know, I am doing you a favour here. Helping you out. In fact, you owe me.”

“I owe you nothing!” her voice grated.

“You know, I may be your resource, but I have my own resources. One’s that will come after you and kill you in a second of my command,” he spat back at her. Her eyes flashed wide with fury.

“You!” she started. “You evil little bastard. You’re going to carry on Sloane’s work, aren’t you?!” Her face had grown with madness.

“Sydney, I assure you, I have no interest in Rambaldi, other than the money it can bring for me. Anything I do to you from this point on has no reflection on Sloane. It simply reflects the irritation you have brought to me,” Sark said stubbornly.

“I don’t believe you.”

“Believe what you want. It really doesn’t matter to me anymore. Don’t call me for help anymore. And don’t expect me to come to your aid.”

Sark turned to leave but Sydney quickly grabbed onto his shirt and pulled him back. “Don’t you walk away from me!” she exclaimed.

“Sydney, let me go. I swear, I wont hesitate to kill you,” he threatened as his eyes filled with frustration.

“You couldn’t. You’re too weak, too pathetic to kill me. You’re just a cocky little man who works for someone bigger than you. Someone with power. You have none.”

“Then why are you worried that I might carry out Sloane’s plans to end the world. If I am too pathetic, what concern do you have?” Sark frustratedly stated, his tone filled with irritation.

“You still work for The Guildiya.”

“Sydney, without Sloane, there is no Guildiya.”

“You’re wrong!” she replied with stubborn grimace. “They are out there planning their next move. Sloane is out there readying for attack!”

“Sloane is dead. You murdered him in cold blood!” Sark replied, emphasizing murder.

“You’re the cold blooded murderer. How dare you even insinuate I am on your level. You make me sick!” Sydney replied, spitting on him. As he wiped the spit off his face, his face went red, changing his baby blue eyes dark with anger.

“You’re exactly the same as me, except you’re the one whose insane!”

Sydney’s eyes suddenly turned a fierce shade of ebony. She stared deep into his eyes as her hands grabbed hold of his neck. Instead of cowering away, Sark grabbed onto her hands and began pulling them away from her neck, his fingernails digging into her. Both of their faces went furiously crimson as they groaned and growled in the struggle.

“You’re...” Sark tried to speak as he struggled to breath. “You’re insane!” All of a sudden, his force surpassed her own and he managed to shove her to the ground, his own hands grasping onto her neck.

“I swear to God, I will kill you,” she spoke grimacely as her hands prevented his from suffocating her.

Swiftly, she kicked up her leg and hit him hard in the back, knocking him off her. Sydney got up and ran towards a wall of rocks, looking for anything she could use to fight with. Sark quickly pursued her. She grabbed onto a large piece of driftwood and swung it at him. He ducked. She swung at him again, this time knocking herself off balance. Falling face forward, she scratched up her forehead on the rocks. Blood trickled down the side of her face as her head pounded with mild concussion. She got up and lunged at Sark, hurling her body on top of him. They wrestled against the floor of sand, punching and jabbing at each other.

Finally, Sydney broke free and ran to grab a jagged rock about 5 inches wide. She hurled it at him, but he managed to dodge it. Sark ran towards her and pushed her down to the ground. As her face met the sand, his body on top of hers as he grasped his large hands around her neck, she felt around. Her hands felt something sharp. A large rock, just small enough to be able to lift. Struggling, she managed to grip onto the rock and hurl it backwards above her head, crashing it into Sark’s. He quickly went limp as his body piled down onto sand.

Sydney took in a deep breath as she sat up and peered over at his body. He didn’t move. Her heart felt like it would explode with raging beats. She gasped for breath as her lungs went into hyperventilation. She’d killed him and someone might find her there next to his body. She had to get away before they came after her, the cops, The Guildiya, her father and Vaughn. She had to run.

Back