Oblivious Living

Chapter 5

The next few days passed slowly. Luckily it was the weekend and Vaughn was able to be home to spend time with Michelle. However, apart from the small display of affection on her first night she hadn’t really opened up to him. She would spend all her time in her bedroom, only coming out for meals.

Michael was beginning to get worried as Monday drew closer and closer. Michelle was on holidays from school and he had to go to work. He really didn’t want to ring Sarah that would only make her more superior, it would be the proof that she needed that he wasn’t a capable father; he couldn’t look after Michelle for even a week.

He came to conclusion that he would have to take her to work with him. Jack would shoot him in the face, and he had no idea what Sydney’s reaction would be.

Monday morning arrived; he showered and dressed for work. He knocked on Michelle’s door, she opened it dressed and ready to go. He had told her last night what would be happening today and she only nodded her head and went to her room. But here she was with her hair done, dressed (and matching) with her shoes on and tied up. His heart broke for her, she only five years old yet she had the independence of a teenager. He was reminded of the fact that she was on her own without a mother to help her. Looking down at Michelle he felt fiercely proud, proud of the way that she is able to look after herself. While he was proud it also made him determined to be the best father that he could be.

Smiling at her he asked, “Are you ready to go?”
She nodded her head – it had become her typical reply to anything he said. He moved towards the door, Michelle following behind him. He had another thought. He spun around picked Michelle up and threw (as gently as possible) her over his shoulder. She let out a giggle. He smiled as he thought that it’s all the little things that make a difference, just little steps at a time.

Arriving at the APO office, he took a deep breath, not sure as to what was going to happen when he arrived with a five year old girl in tow. The first person to see him was Marshall on the elevator.

“Ahhh Vaughn. There is a girl standing next to you did you realise that?” Marshall whispered.
“Yes. I know, she’s my daughter.”
“With Sydney?” Marshall asked, calculations running obviously through his head.
“No”
“Ooohhh Jack is going to kill you.”
“I know” Vaughn said grimly.

Arriving at the APO front desk he was greeted by the secretary named Georgia. She looked at Vaughn and then at Michelle.
“Oh boy, you’re going to have an interesting day” Georgia said smiling
“Tell me about it” Vaughn said, attempting to smile.
“Tell you what, how about she spends the day with me – we can maybe go to the park on my lunch break and you don’t have to worry about Jack shooting you”
“You’d do that?” Vaughn questioned
“I would love to, I love kids and I also don’t want to see you get in trouble. This way we both win”
Vaughn crouched down to Michelle level and asked her how she felt about the arrangement. In typical Michelle style she just nodded her head.
“Well that settles that.” Georgia said taking Michelle’s hand and leading her away.

Throughout the day Vaughn couldn’t concentrate, he would worry about Michelle and then he would worry about Sydney, she hadn’t been in all day. Of course he would also worry about Jack, the one man that he truly feared.

As Vaughn sat there thinking he happened to glance up and see Sydney walking down the hallway, wearing the gray skirt suit that was oh so tight and the killer heels. Just seeing her walk made his heart stop beating, he was always amazed at her beauty every time he laid eyes on her.

Sydney felt his gaze upon her and began to walk slowly over.
“Hi” She said tentatively
“Hey” He said smiling at her
The next few minutes were spent discussing work matters, neither of them bringing up the subject of Michelle. Vaughn didn’t want to be the one as it could bring about issues with Sydney, they were only just starting to talk again and he didn’t want to mess it up. The right time would come eventually.

Soon after Sydney went back to her desk and was left alone with his thoughts. Realising that he was accomplishing no work he decided a change of scenery was in order. Leaving APO he went out for a quick lunch break.

However, when Vaughn returned he found Michelle sitting happily on the front desk, her legs madly swinging around and chatting a mile a minute to Sydney. He stomach dropped to the floor. This is not good Michael thought. Knowing that there was no way out Michael had no choice but to go over.

He arrived at the desk just, Georgia looked towards him apologetically, he shook his head letting her know it wasn’t her fault. Sydney noticed Vaughn’s presence and smiled at him as she said
“Look what I found just hanging around.” Noticing the look on Michael’s face, recognition set in and she looked at Michelle.
“Michelle?” She uttered. Michelle looked at her wide eyed. Tears filled Sydney’s face as she looked at Michelle and then at Vaughn.
“She’s beautiful” She said, as emotions began to take over, “I’m sorry” she said as she turned and hurried away.

“Vaughn I am so sorry, Sydney came out here looking for you and was instantly captivated with Michelle” Georgia apologised.
“Georgia it’s not your fault, it was bound to happen sooner or later” Vaughn said.

“I think its best that we go now” Vaughn said looking at Michelle, who as usual nodded her head. As they were driving home Michelle asked a question. “Who was that nice lady? I liked her”
Vaughn was shocked that Michelle was actually speaking directly to him, taking his time he answered
“Her name is Sydney; she is a very special friend to me”
“Can I see her again?”
“Soon, Michelle, soon. She just needs some time”

Later that night a knock was heard at the Vaughn’s door. Michael’s fist thought was Sydney, however as he opened the door he was greeted with a very different Bristow, A thunderous Jack Bristow.

hope you all enjoyed this. next update in a few weeks
Emma

This is great.

Love the storyline!

I was going to do something similar but with Lauren. I guess not. :P

Hope Syd forgives Vaughn!

Jack... dun dun dunn...

Please PM me :smiley:

Update soon!

xo laur :Prop:

I can't wait for you to update again. That will be one very interesting conversation.

Thanks for the pm.

Spydaddy is apparently not too thrilled....

as vaughn said in episode 4.20 " I just hope Jack doesn't shoot me in the face."
well its good to hope vaughn!

fantastic update..I love this fic!

Oh. My. Goodness. I just hope that Vaughn will survive the wrath of Jack Bristow. I wish Syd would talk to Vaughn about this. Hope they talk soon. THanks for the pm. Update again soon.

Previously...............

Later that night a knock was heard at the Vaughn’s door. Michael’s fist thought was Sydney, however as he opened the door he was greeted with a very different Bristow, A thunderous Jack Bristow.

Chapter 6

“Jack, Hi” Vaughn said nervously, “Is there something I can help you with?”
“I want to know why you arrived late today and left early. Agent Vaughn I am under the impression that you have no respect towards your line of work….”

Just as Jack was beginning to get into his accusations, the sound of breaking glass was heard.
“Is Sydney here?” Jack asked
“Ahh not exactly” Vaughn replied as Michelle came running to the door, tears streaming down her face.
“I’m sorry, I broked it, I didn’t mean, I’m sorry” She said as her words became jumbled
“Hey it’s ok baby, it’s ok” Vaughn said soothingly as he picked her up. “Listen Jack I’ll be right back, let me sort this out”
Vaughn waked back inside into the kitchen, Jack followed.

As Vaughn began cleaning up the broken glass Jack started to ask questions.

“Agent Vaughn are you planning to explain this, is this a relative of yours?”

“She’s my daughter Jack” Vaughn said wearily.

“What?” He exploded “Do you mean to tell me you have a daughter?”

“Yes”

“Don’t you dare tell me she’s Sydney’s?”

“No – her mother is, was Alice, one of my ex girlfriends.”

“So you just decided not to tell anyone about her?”

“I only found out myself!”

“You must think I am an idiot to tell me that story. Of all the bull stories this one would have to be the best”

“Jack it’s the truth”, Vaughn suddenly remembered Michelle was in the room and looked over at her, her eyes were watering she was very close to tears.
“I think you should leave now” Vaughn said warningly.

Jack looked over at Michelle, compassion slowly filling his eyes. He quietly left.

Vaughn picked up Michelle and took her over to the couch.
“So that man doesn’t know what he was talking about. He was angry and didn’t mean what he was saying. So you can just forget everything he said. Ok?”
She sniffled a yes in reply.

Just as Vaughn had settled Michelle down the doorbell rang.
“Not again” Vaughn said annoyed
He took Michelle off his lap and placed her by herself on the couch as he got up to answer the door.

“Listen jack if you came by to harass Michelle and I again you can…..” Vaughn said as he opened the door. He froze. It wasn’t Jack who was at his door it was Sydney.

“Oh Syd I thought you were Jack” He stuttered, “Ah come on in”

Sydney walked in and saw Michelle on the couch, her eyes bloodshot still from crying.
“Considering your response to me when you opened the door and the look on Michelle’s face you’ve had a visit from my Dad.” Sydney said.

“Yeah I guess you could say that. It didn’t go too well. Here take a seat, can I get you something to drink?”

“Yeah cold water would be great.” Sydney said as she sat down opposite Michelle. Who was gazing shyly at her. Sydney looked at her and smiled, Michelle quickly looked away.

“Hey, it’s OK sweetie, I’m not going to hurt you” Sydney said gently.
Michelle smiled and got up and sat next to Sydney on the chair and just sat there looking at her. Sydney was still laughing at that when Vaughn walked in.

“Hey what’s so funny?” He asked smiling

“Oh Nothing, Nothing” Sydney said giggling

Michelle continued to stare at her for a few more minutes. Eventually Michael sent her off to brush her teeth.

“She likes you” Vaughn said

“Yeah?” Sydney said softly

“Yeah, when she stares at people you can tell she likes them, when I first brought her here she wouldn’t look at me – she’s getting better. It’s taken awhile though.”

“She’s gorgeous really, she is. She looks like you”

“Thanks Syd”

“So listen whatever my Dad said, I’m sorry…”

“Syd stop, don’t ever apologise for Jack. Don’t ever feel guilty about that.”

“Thanks Vaughn. But I wanted to apologise to you as well. I left you when you needed me most and I am really sorry for that.”

“It’s Ok, we were both lost and unsure” Vaughn said and pulled her into a tight hug. They sat together just enjoying each others company. Michelle soon came and joined them. At first she stood in the doorway looking uncomfortable and feeling out of place. Sydney soon noticed her and beckoned her to come over. She ran over and nestled herself in Sydney’s lap.

--------To an outsider that night they looked like the perfect family. However whilst they might not be actually perfect they are relatively happy. Many trials and many tears allowed them to arrive at a spot where they were that night ------

Michelle awoke early the next day. She was unaware that Sydney had spent the night. After half an hour spent playing with her dolls she was decidedly hungry. Walking into Vaughn’s room she saw Sydney curled up in Vaughn’s arms. Something stirred inside her, she felt anger suddenly. She didn’t see Sydney her new friend, instead she saw a woman in the bed, a woman who was the reason her Mum was so miserable. Whenever Alice was depressed she would vent her anger on the woman she called ‘Rita’, now though Michelle didn’t realise that Sydney was actually Rita, the same emotions were there. There was now a new woman around, someone who was acting almost like a mother, doing the same sort of things that married people do. This woman wasn’t her mother, Michelle loved Alice dearly, and no one could ever replace her.
Screaming Michelle jumped on the bed
“I want my Mum back, I hate you she said pointing at Sydney, and you’re the reason my Mum is dead – I want to have a proper Mummy and Daddy. I want her back…….” Michael got out of bed quickly and grabbed hold of her. Pulling her off the bed he tried to get control of her. She continued to kick and scream. He eventually dragged her out the room and took her to her own bed. Placing he as gently as he could without being mauled. Nothing he said could console her. He left and went back to Sydney.

She say there hunched on the bed. Tears racking her body.

“Syd…” Vaughn said quietly taking her in his arms

“No don’t” She said, “It’s true. I am the reason she was without a Dad for so long”

Hope you all like it

Fantastic Update! although I hate to see S/V angst....but you're making it all really great! thanks so very much for the pm!

---you got stuck in a vent?!?!? heeehee :lol: that is AMAZING!::i want to recreate Alias.! I think you just gave me an idea! yay!

-kait

Back