SENTINEL

EPILOGUE

The yacht pulled into the harbor at Naples and anchored off shore. It was the largest one present. More than a few people looked at it with admiration. Those who knew yachts were impressed by the amount of electronic equipment visible, including radar, satellite television dish, and satellite radio. It was three hundred feet long and about forty feet wide. By the number of portholes visible, it had to have dozen or more staterooms. There was power too. It was easy to see it would make fast time through open water.

A customs boat with an official motored out to the ship. There was a pilot and the customs man as well as a family of four, husband and wife with a little girl about six and a boy about one. They pulled along side the boat, named Peace out of Sydney, Australia. The customs made went up the ladder first, followed by the young woman, carrying her youngest and then her husband who carried the little girl.

Jack Bristow, wearing khaki shorts, white tee, and sandals greeted the customs man and handed him their papers. As the official moved off to one side to go over them, Jack, his face wreathed in a huge smile, reached down and pulled Sydney Bristow-Vaughn onto the deck. He kissed her on both cheeks.

“Sweetheart, I’m glad you came.”

“Dad, I wouldn’t have missed vacationing with you and Mom. It’s been over three years!” She stepped back and put the baby in his arms. “This is little Jack.” She stared at her father. He looked ten years younger and he was thinner…more fit.

Vaughn was on board at that moment with the little girl. “Jack…”

“Michael…” They shook hands.

The little girl ran to her mother, clinging to her pant leg. She stared at her grandfather with wide green eyes.

“Sydney!” A voice called from just inside a doorway and Irina Bristow ran out, her arms held out to her daughter. They hugged and Irina pulled back to study Sydney. “You look marvelous.” They hugged again.

Jack turned to Irina. “This is Jack!”

Irina took him from Jack, her face wreathed in a huge smile. “He’s handsome, just like his father!”

Vaughn who was standing nearby almost choked. This from Irina Derevko was unexpected. He blushed as she turned to him smiling.

“Thanks,” he said.

“Come,” said Irina, holding onto Jack, “we’ll go inside while Jack finishes up with customs.

She led the way down a short flight of stairs into a huge room measuring at least 65 by 30 feet and which contained large dining table with a dozen chairs, a pair of sofas, two lounge chairs, and 100-inch plasma television on the wall next to the stairway. At the other end of the room, next to the table and chairs, was an incredible kitchen. A large island, eight by four feet, stood between a wall filled with double oven, microwave, large workspace, a double sink, and another workspace filled with small appliances. A door led to a professional refrigerator and freezer.

“Where is your luggage?” Irina went out to the large refrigerator and opened it.

“The customs pilot will bring it up. We paid him well.” Vaughn answered while looking about in awe.

Irina took out some glasses and filled them with lemonade she’d made earlier. “Good. Sit down. Have some lemonade.” She handed Sydney and Vaughn each a glass. “How about Isabelle?”

“Do you have milk?”

“It was delivered here this morning.” Irina opened it again and pulled out a carton of milk, pouring Isabelle a glass. “Here, sweetheart.”

“Can I, Mommy?” She was hesitant.

Sydney laughed, “Yes, this is your grandmother, Irina.”

“Oh!” Her green eyes spoke volumes, as she looked Irina up and down. “She’s pretty, like you, Mommy, but old.”

Sydney looked embarrassed. “You shouldn’t call people old.”

“But…”

Irina leaned down, looking at her granddaughter with love. “You are right, my dear, I am older than your mother. Thank you though for the nice compliment.”

“What?” Sydney said frowning.

“She said I was pretty like you!” Irina sat down laughing.

Just then, Jack entered. Irina jumped up and got the glass she poured for him off the counter. “Well, everything is fine. The pilot brought up your luggage and it’s being stowed in the staterooms.” He looked at Irina. “How about some lunch. I’m hungry.”

Vaughn and Sydney were surprised by the luxurious stateroom. The children were in a small, but no less opulent stateroom. There was a connecting door between the two so they would not have to go around through the hall to the other room. Irina suggested they might like to rest before dinner. The children were already asleep when the Vaughns decided to join them and nap in their own stateroom.

Vaughn held Sydney in his arms. “My God, this is the largest privately own boat I’ve ever been on either visiting or working.”

“Me too!” Sydney said sleepily. “When Dad emailed us he and Mom bought a boat to retire on, I had no idea.” She waved her arm around. “This cost a lot of serious money.”

“It costs a bundle to operate,” added Vaughn.

“Where did the money come from,” mused Sydney. She knew Irina had money, because Jack was able to come up with the kidnap money demanded by Cuvee. Still, it was not an inexpensive boat.

“I think your Dad had a lot of money stashed away too!” He said.

“On a government salary?” Sydney murmured, her eyes giving into sleep.

Vaughn smiled. He never told Sydney about the storage unit Jack had to get money and guns for the raid on Camp Williams where Lindsey sent her for unrestricted interrogation. She killed a diplomat; at least he thought so, while she was Julia Thorne. Anyway, Vaughn was stunned by the amount of money Jack stored. He never asked Jack where he got it. He remembered saying that it probably wasn’t the only one Jack had since he’d shown him this one. Jack never answered.

“You know,” Vaughn thought to himself, “I’m never going to ask either.”

In the master stateroom, Jack and Irina settled down for a nap too as was their custom every afternoon. Irina was naked under the sheet. Jack wore his boxers and tee. He held her tight, kissed her on the forehead, and closed his eyes for a second.

“Well, do you think you’re going to like having company aboard?”

“Of course,” she murmured, “its Sydney and our grandchildren. They’re beautiful just as Sydney was when she was their age. We must be careful they don’t wander about.”

“Don’t worry. Everything is locked up tight.” He grinned. “We do have a job, you know.”

“Yes, but can you do it alone? I can take them sightseeing. There won’t be any risk then.”

“Um hum,” he answered and yawned. “It won’t take me more than a half day.”

“And as agreed, Jack, we won’t tell the children.” She reminded him.

“Oh God no,” he responded, “they’d both be upset with us. They think we’re retired. Our mercenary work would be disturbing to them both. No, we’ll keep it that way. Do the job and then really vacation with them.”

Irina stretched, turned on her stomach, and threw her left arm over his chest, falling asleep immediately. Jack’s right hand caressed her arm as he too fell asleep. The Bristows did not think their daughter would like the idea of her parents doing spy jobs for governments other than their own.

They would be stunned to know that there was an arsenal on board with numerous guns, machine guns, automatic rifles, bullets and enumerable electronic gear of all kinds, packed away in a secret room between their bedroom and the kitchen. Jack and Irina both spent hours making sure everything was in working order and available whenever needed for one of their jobs.

Down in the forward hold was a small two-seater helicopter. Both Jack and Irina knew how to fly it, having taken lessons from the manufacturer. Sometimes they used it for pleasure, other times—when a job called for a fast in and out. There was also a fully equipped machine shop. . In the aft hold, there was a catamaran and aluminum landing craft.

Among the crew on board was a man who could do welding and help in making various pieces of equipment. Fake portholes made it seem there were other staterooms present. The crew’s quarters were in the deck beneath the family room and they had five on board: the captain/navigator, one seaman who doubled as the radioman when necessary, the seaman who was also a machinist/welder, an engineer, and his assistant. They took care of the engines. They were highly paid for the dangerous work they did.

The Bristows were enjoying their retirement far more than the Vaughns suspected.

FINI for now.
:cloud9:

Genius! Mwhahahahahaa hehehehee like Jack and Irina could ever stop doing what they do best! I think they'd both go stir crazy if they didnt have anybody to beat up on occasionally.
You write fantastically LenaFan and this has been a rollercoster ride of a fic i have enjoyed incrediably.
You know I got a friend of mine hooked onto Alias by making her read your fics hehehehe

PM when your next story is going up because I know it will be fabulous!
I only wish I could write spy family fun as well as you.

Okay, so obviously there's another fic in the works! So Irina's the Sentinel and her source... I think it's either Vaughn, Marshall or Dixon (of course I'm sure i'll be wrong, I always am.) Anyways, so loved the fake boat lol, so Irina and Jack!
Forgive my late reading, I've had a hectic crazy schedule lately.
Thanks for a most enjoyable Read Bev!
Erin

Back