State of Grace

Title: A State of Grace

Author: Me(ILOVEALIAS27 or Lee)

Rating: No more than PG-13

Spoilers: Basically if you aren't watching Season Five, don't read this. I don't know how closely it will follow the S5 plot line.

Summary: I know a lot of people are going to hate me for this, but it is an idea I have been tossing around in my head and I need to get it out. I only have four chapters written and I'm going to try to keep up with the postings, but don't expect on every day. This is a love story between Thomas Grace and Sydney Bristow. I'm not saying anymore because I want to keep my options open. Please, please, give this story a shot, I think you could really like it.

Here are the first two chapters.

Chapter 1

Jack

We were all there in Marshall’s office, Sydney, Marshall, the new agent Thomas Grace and I.

“I would prefer to go with Dixon,” Sydney snapped and I sighed.

I didn’t know why my daughter was being so rude, or why she didn’t want to partner with Grace. Was it because he was Vaughn’s replacement?

“Dixon has other obligations,” I retorted. Then to a stunned Marshall and confused Grace I ordered, “Tell me when you’re ready to leave.”

I walked out of Marshall’s office and heard the click of shoes as Sydney walked after me.

“What is so important that Dixon can’t be with me?” She hissed as we walked into my office.

I slammed the door, “That was rude.” I said, flatly.

“I read his file. Over the past three years he has turned down a number of teams to work alone. Long, solitary, undercover operations.” She lowered her voice, almost afraid that someone would hear, “He’s a Loner, Dad.”

I sighed, I knew the term that Sydney was referring to.

There were some people the CIA needed, but who, in psychological terms didn’t work well with others. Some of them were geniuses, as brilliant as Marshall, but with none of his good nature or charm.

Other Loners were bullies, belligerent or anti-social. These were men and woman the CIA needed, but couldn’t bring into Langley or even black ops.

Loners, as the name suggests, worked completely alone. They had few friends or family ties and were perfect for long, undercover operations.

And, what Sydney was saying was true, Thomas Grace is(was?) a Loner. But I was not about to tell her why.

“He is a member of our team now,” I replied.

Marshall and Thomas Grace appeared to tell them that everything was ready to go. Marshall, in his usual oblivion didn’t notice anything. But Grace searched Sydney’s face and then mine.

I caught his eye and gave a half smile, trying to apologize for my daughter’s behavior.

Grace gave nod, and then left, following Sydney and Marshall.

I sighed, and sat down in my chair. I could already tell it was going to be a interesting year.

Chapter 2

Thomas

First off, she was pregnant.

I mean, my God!

Not that there haven’t been a lot of pregnant CIA agents, because there had, most of whom worked right up until they had their babies. But most of them worked in nice safe offices.

Here was Sydney Bristow, a paradox of the highest order. She was a little over five months pregnant and still doing dangerous field work.

I had wanted to go in for her, let her stay in the van with Marshall. But no way was that happening, and I had to admit, it was good that she knew Czech.

But when Dean exploded his building she came racing in to find Rachel.

I found her first, and pulled a piece of plaster off her, I was checking her breathing, heart, and feeling around for broken bones when Sydney ran up the stairs.

“She fine,” I assured Sydney, who was almost white. “She’s going to be fine.”

Later, once Rachel was in the hospital and Sydney and I were waiting in her room, when I cleared my throat.

“You shouldn’t of come up,” I said.

I felt her go tight with anger next to me, “Excuse me?” She said, her voice clipped.

“You heard me, it was dangerous and you had no business putting yourself in the middle of it.”

“In case you didn’t know,” she hissed back. “I am in danger every moment of my life, and not running up a flight of stairs isn’t going to change that.”

I took a deep breath, “I know you are a top level agent, Sydney. But you’re pregnant now, and you can’t keep doing all the things you were five months ago!”

“When did you become get a medical degree? I’m fine, the doctor said I should keep active.”

“I don’t think this is what he had in mind, Sydney.”

He eyes flashed, “I don’t care what you think. And you will address me as Agent Bristow. Got it?”

I nodded, “Yes…Agent Bristow.”

She turned and walked off and I heard Rachel stir.

“I think you made her pretty mad,” she rasped.

I laughed and went to sit down by her bed, “I think she’ll get over it. And if not…” He shrugged.

“Thank you,” she whispered. “For saving me.”

“You were doing great by yourself. I have faith you’ll make a pretty good field agent.”

“Oh no,” she moaned. “I want to sit behind a desk for the rest of my life!”

She giggled and I smiled.

“I’m sorry, but I’m so tired.”

“That’s okay, you sleep. Syd-Agent Bristow and I are working on getting you home.

Hey Lee!

Sounds great! Add me to your PM lsit please! I can't wait to find out more! Thanks for sending me a PM :D

lee

And, what Sydney was saying was true, Thomas Grace is(was?) a Loner. But I was not about to tell her why.

Oooh I like this part... a dive into Mr. Grace's history...

I had wanted to go in for her, let her stay in the van with Marshall. But no way was that happening, and I had to admit, it was good that she knew Czech.

Interesting take... most on the boards "think" Grace is being "dumb" and arrogant... but duh this is a likely reason too... I am sure that it isn't every day your CIA partner is 5 mo preggo.... I mean it would be one thing if the preg. was part of the ALIAS, but yeah... if Syd gets shot, she AND the baby are in danger....

Later, once Rachel was in the hospital and Sydney and I were waiting in her room, when I cleared my throat.

“You shouldn’t of come up,” I said.

I felt her go tight with anger next to me, “Excuse me?” She said, her voice clipped.

“You heard me, it was dangerous and you had no business putting yourself in the middle of it.”

“In case you didn’t know,” she hissed back. “I am in danger every moment of my life, and not running up a flight of stairs isn’t going to change that.”

I took a deep breath, “I know you are a top level agent, Sydney. But you’re pregnant now, and you can’t keep doing all the things you were five months ago!”

“When did you become get a medical degree? I’m fine, the doctor said I should keep active.”

“I don’t think this is what he had in mind, Sydney.”
True... why ISN'T she more concerned about the safety of the baby... this is one thing that troubles me.... but then again she is Sydney.
He eyes flashed, “I don’t care what you think. And you will address me as Agent Bristow. Got it?”

I nodded, “Yes…Agent Bristow.”

Typical Syd!

She turned and walked off and I heard Rachel stir.

“I think you made her pretty mad,” she rasped.

I laughed and went to sit down by her bed, “I think she’ll get over it. And if not…” He shrugged.

“Thank you,” she whispered. “For saving me.”

“You were doing great by yourself. I have faith you’ll make a pretty good field agent.”

“Oh no,” she moaned. “I want to sit behind a desk for the rest of my life!”

She giggled and I smiled.

“I’m sorry, but I’m so tired.”

“That’s okay, you sleep. Syd-Agent Bristow and I are working on getting you home.

Hmmmm interesting .. do I see some chemistry b/t Rachel & Grace? or not?

:smiley:

Great start, would love to read some more!

Latealias

To everyone: Thanks so much for the reviews!!! Also, I think I need to clear some stuff up.

1. This is a love story between Sydney and Thomas. Not between Thomas and Rachel.
2. The reason this is not posted in Romance is because it is not just a Romance, but has lots of other side plots and other non-romantic stuff in it. But, rest assured, there will be some romance
3. This is not a slight to Vaughn or his memory, similar to Sarkney fans I am simply exploring another posibility.

Chapter 3

Rachel

When I was little, I wanted to be an astronomer more than anything in the world. I bought a video of a Big Bang simulation and watched it over and over again. It shocked me how something like that could happen.

With an explosion the universe was different and better. But it was also more confusing.

I felt like the universe.

Yesterday everything had been so simple, I was helping to stop evil around the world, and Gordon Dean thought I was one of the smartest agents the CIA had.

Now, Dean was a bad guy, I was working for terrorists and I had just been in a building that my friend and boss had blown up.

Bang! An life changing explosion.

I heard the two agents argue. The pregnant woman with the kind eyes and the handsome, dark haired man that had saved my life.

He said that she shouldn’t have come after me, and she snapped back. Then she left and the man tried to comfort me.

I was upset, but most of all I was just tired. I wanted to go to sleep and never wake up, just sleep for the rest of time and not have to worry about Dean, or the CIA or anything.

But unfortunately I couldn’t, because as soon as the doctors deemed me well enough to travel I was put on a plane with the two CIA agents and sent to LA.

I sat next to the woman, who extended her hand to me, “We were never formally introduced. I’m Sydney Bristow.”

“Rachel Gibson.”

We sat in silence for a long moment, before I asked her the question that had been bugging me, “The man who did this to you? Who lied to you like Gordon Dean did to me, what happened to him?”

“What?” Sydney was confused.

“I mean. Is he in jail or still free or dead?”

“He’s…in jail,” she said after a long moment.

This cheered me up considerably, “I want Gordon Dean in jail too.”

Sydney looked at me with an emotion in her eyes that I couldn’t read. Pity? Humor? Anger? Sadness? Then she blinked and fixed me with an emotionless stare.

“It’s not going to be easy,” She said. “Men like Gordon Dean don’t go down easy.”

Neither of us said anything.

“But,” Sydney said, “I want him gone.”

“I’ll help you,” I said. “I can help. I know about his operations and contacts and…”

“Good,” Sydney said, cutting her off. “But first you need to meet the other people at APO. That’s our organization.”

“Is the other agent part of them too?”

“Grace? Yes, he’s new.”

Grace, Sydney. I repeated the names to myself.

“You should try to get some rest,” Sydney stood up. “You’re going to have a long next couple of days.

Man there's really going to be some problems if Sydney hooks up with Grace. If we're going with the whole "Vaughn is 100% dead" thing. It's going to be hard on Sydney I mean if she see one more boyfriend/fiancee die. Kinda got the whold preying mantis thing going on. But yeah I see where your going I feel you,

Where does Rachel fit into this kind of like a passing character or will she be around like a less-invasive Marshall?

To everyone: Thanks for the reviews. You guys rock!

To ALIAS_chick and syd26: Welcome!

To AntiAliased: I honestly can't say. I'm posting this story as I write it,(I'm about four chapters ahead of the chapter I'm posting) sometimes going back to revise my plot. You'll just have to wait and see. Would you like a PM?

This should clear some stuff up.

Chapter 4

Thomas

This was going to have to stop, and it was going to stop now.

I was so sick of Sydney ignoring me all the time. So sick of her questioning every move I made, everything I said.

So, I grabbed her arm and pulled her to the edge of the room, after a briefing.

“Do you want to go out and get something after work?”

“Are you asking me out?” Her voice was brittle.

“No, I’m not. We need to talk.”

“No.”

“Syd-Agent Bristow. This is important.”

We stood that way for a long time, me holding her arm, and her glaring at me. Then she shook her arm out of my grasp.

“One hour. That’s all you get.”

After work we went out to the docks, and stood watching the sunset.

“I know you read my file,” I said, and Sydney glanced over at me, surprised.

“Yes, I did.”

“So you know I’m a Loner. I assume that’s why you a treating me like the devil?”

She didn’t say anything, but he noticed a slight blush creep along the side of her face.

“I’m going to tell you a story,” I said. “Just let me talk, then you can say whatever you want.”

She nodded, slightly.

“I was recruited to work for the CIA when I was in college. I worked at Langley for awhile, then went into black ops. When I was twenty-eight I got a new partner, her name was Jess Marvel and she was twenty-two. We worked well together, and were good friends, but, as time went on, something else developed between us. When I was thirty we began to date each other. We dated for about a year before I asked her to marry me. I knew that I was in love with her. The night that I asked her to marry me, I told her that the next day I was quitting the CIA. I encouraged her to do the same, said that we could go off somewhere, live happily ever after.”

I stopped her and took a deep breath. I snuck a look at Sydney, to see how she was taking all of this, he face was unreadable.

“She drove home that night, was in a car accident and died. Only, I learned later, it wasn’t an accident. She was a Russian spy who had infiltrated the CIA and was stealing state secrets. The car accident had been an emergency extraction. Since I was going to quit the CIA, she had just lost her source of top-level information. Most black ops, as you know, like to have male-female partnerships, to maximize their options in the field. But, because of what Jess had done to me, I couldn’t handle another female partner. That’s why I became a Loner, started doing covert ops. It’s not because I am a fighter or can’t handle a partner.”

I didn’t say anything and neither did Sydney.

“I guess, I just hoped that by telling this, we might be able to get along better.”

I got up, ready to leave, but she grabbed my hand.

“Thomas,” she said, and her voice was barely a whisper. “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have-”

“That’s all right,” I said.

“No it’s not,” she retorted. “I have been a b***h to you and I am sorry. Hormones.”

She laughed and allowed myself a smile.

“So,” she said, and her voice became intense. “Can you forgive me?”

“Yes, yes I can Agent Bristow.”

“You can call me Sydney.”

“Sydney then.”

I looked straight into her eyes and after a moment she looked down.

“I was sorry to hear about what happened to your fiancée,” I said softly. “If you ever need anything, anything at all, you can call me.”

Back