Politics Stem Cell Research

Hey people I need your help...well I need a lot of help. What is your view on stem cell research. Please reply and quickly too!
Thanks
Melissa ^_^

I am VERY pro stem cell research. First of all, I dont' see anything ethnically wrong with it. Even with embryotic stem cells. The cells are probably never gonna be used! Why not benefit the rest of the community?
--Mandy :angelic:

Heres my view although I don't think many here will agree:
I think stem cell research should only be allowed if the stem cells originate from non fetal material or existing stem cell lines. I am against using fetal material of any sort because while I think intentions are good now (many say that the cells would be destroyed anyways, so why not use them?), I think it opens a can of worms that we are not ready to deal with.

rileylovesalias said:
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>You use the cells from an aborted child I am against it. Having an abortition is murder. And murder is wrong. </span>
[post="1028801"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Well think about it...either way the fetus is DEAD. So we can either trash it...or use it for the greater good of mankind.

Also...please refrain from using colored text in posts.

Marlene said:
Well think about it...either way the fetus is DEAD.  So we can either trash it...or use it for the greater good of mankind.

Also...please refrain from using colored text in posts.
[post="1028883"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

This is what I'm talking about when I say "a can of worms". Okay, right now that sounds logical...either way the baby is killed (I'm pro-life, can ya tell?). BUT, what now stops women from getting pregnant because someone is willing to pay for stem cells from aborted baby? Nothing. Think about, some people, out of greed or desperation, will do anything for money. This has the possibility to spiral out of control.

I'm pro stem cell research, and pro abortion, i dont see it as murder. If it actually was murder and not the grey issue it is now people would take the law into their own hands on a massive scale; which hasn't happened yet.

Good points (and it's good to have a guy's support :smiley: ).

I think that people who are against stem cell research would more often than not change their minds if it was their life and/or health that was at stake. I mean that if this research was going to change their lives in a positive way, I'm sure they often would feel differently.

I'm AGAINST embryonic stem-cell research (ESR) because it means creating a life only to extinguish it, which is murder. Considering there are MANY other possible methods by which to do the same kind of research that can lead to treating debilitating diseases like Parkinson's with non-embryonic stem cells and even cells in post-natal women (check out the research here), it is wrong to choose the immoral method simply because it is easier.

wait hold on a second there. Most embryos were created for invetro fertilization. Usually they make more than they need so some are frozen while the rest are used for implanting in the woman's womb. Many of these fertlized but frozen, embryos will never be used. Also the fetal cell research. First of all, it sounds very difficult to extra since it is in the blood stream. Also, steam cells also have to be accepted by a body. Which means it has to be some what a match to the recipiant. (like bone marrow, there has to be a percentage of matching allels for the recipeiant to actually accept the bone marrow translplant) But then again that also applies to embryotic steam cell. I just don't see a lot of formally pregnant woman volunteering to have their blood completely filtered for these stem cells. ;)

I'm just stating my opinion. ^_^ I disagree with ESR research and I have done my own research on other methods to find cures for diseases during which an embryo is not killed. ;)

Well then i have to ask, what is the best solution for the embryos that are frozen?

I am totally for stem cell research for 2 reasons.

a) The excess embryos from invetro fertilization will remain frozen and will basically just sit there, they will not have an opportunity to become a foetus, so they may as well be used for something.

b) These embryos present an opportunity to find cures for many currently untreatable diseases and injurys, they can improve the quality of life for many thousands of people, and perhaps eliminate these diseases in the future.

Dunno where i stand on this, but i do know that if Kerry is elected, people in wheelchairs will not walk again, as john edwards said they would, becasue kerry gets elected and tries to legalize stem cell research

AliasHombre said:
Dunno where i stand on this, but i do know that if Kerry is elected, people in wheelchairs will not walk again, as john edwards said they would, becasue kerry gets elected and tries to legalize stem cell research
[post="1030758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Please rephrase that. I just didn't understand...

Natalia said:
I think that people who are against stem cell research would more often than not change their minds if it was their life and/or health that was at stake. I mean that if this research was going to change their lives in a positive way, I'm sure they often would feel differently.

Often? Are you kidding me? Natalia, you are absolutely right, but I'm sure that it just wouldn't be OFTEN. It would be ALWAYS... everyone who opposes it would completely change their minds if THEIR life was on the line, including the people in this thread who oppose it.

ivand67 said:
Often? Are you kidding me? Natalia, you are absolutely right, but I'm sure that it just wouldn't be OFTEN. It would be ALWAYS... everyone who opposes it would completely change their minds if THEIR life was on the line, including the people in this thread who oppose it.
[post="1031220"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption so easily. There are always these selfless people who have never seen nor will ever see stem cell research as their option to live because they never thought about it. Unless they are presented with the option of say... finding a cure for cancer in 2 days and the patient will live, those who are against stem cell research will always be.
--mandy :angelic:

There are always these selfless people who have never seen nor will ever see stem cell research as their option to live because they never thought about it.
I wouldn't call them selfless. That's not being selfless, that's ignorant or uninformed.

But you are right. There are some people who would rather die. It's a bit like those religious people (I can't remember who) who die because they refuse to have a blood transfusion.

But I think that only when it is you who is in a particular situation that you can really be able to understand whether you can live up to the opinions you have declared you have. For any situation.

Natalia said:
But you are right. There are some people who would rather die. It's a bit like those religious people (I can't remember who) who die because they refuse to have a blood transfusion.
[post="1031547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I read something about this on either Newsweek or Time magazine months ago... it was very brief, but the article went on to mention that a lot of people who actually have blood transfusions end up dying anyway or with a disease.

And years ago I heard that supposedly, blood is actually considered sacred in the Bible, so to swap blood with someone else would be considered wrong by some people, to the point where they'd be going agains their faith.

Natalia said:
But I think that only when it is you who is in a particular situation that you can really be able to understand whether you can live up to the opinions you have declared you have. For any situation.

Right on! ;)

ivand67 said:
Please rephrase that. I just didn't understand...

Natalia said:

[post="1031220"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I for one would not approve of stem cell research even if my life, or a friend or family member's life, were jeopardized by a disease that stem cell researchers claim their research will help cure. There are other ways of finding a cure that are more humane. Just because I get terminally ill doesn't mean my values will change. :nonono:

I Don't Agree w/ Stem Cell research becasue it's inhumane
ur takin a fetus of a unborn baby and using it 2 do research
i know there r many diseases but come on find a different way 2 research

o yeah i also don't agree w/ abortion!!!

Back