Stepping Stones

Title: Stepping Stones
By: Alias=Life (Abby) -- That's me!
Description: Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn were the best of friends, and spent their early childhood together. When Michael's father dies in an accident, Vaughn moves away with his mother, leaving Sydney behind, but promising her that he'll come back to her someday. Now, almost ten years later, Sydney finds herself at Acme Hills, one of LA's greatest private schools. There, she meets some new friends, discovers new things herself, and comes face-to-face to the man who she had been waiting her entire life for; Michael Vaughn.
Disclaimer: I own nothing but my computer, my Alias stuff, and my muse.
Rating: Shouldn't be more than PG or PG-13. If it goes higher, you will be warned at the beginning of the chapter.

A/N: Hey all! This is a new fic of mine! I actually came up with the plot line for an original piece I was writing, but I thought I'd work better as a S/V fic, so, here is!

-Prologue

"But, Mikey, I don't want you to go! You have to stay with Sydney! Who will be her bestest friend!?" a six year-old Sydney Bristow pleaded.

"Hey, you think I want to go!? Mom's making me! She says the move will be good for both of us, getting away and starting new," nine year-old Michael Vaughn tried to explain.

"Yeah... but... its not fair!" Sydney wailed, jumping into Michael's arms.

Michael was surprised, and fell over, Sydney crying into his shirt. He tried to pry her off, but the task proved to be more difficult than he had originally thought; she held onto him for dear life.

"Syd, cut it out! Stop being such a baby!" Michael said, finally succeeding in pushing her off.

"But Sydney will just miss you so much! What will she do without you!?" She asked, crocodile tears pouring down her chubby, little cheeks.

"I don't know... you'll make new friends!" Michael said, trying to cheer her up.

"Sydney don't want new friends! She just wants you to stay!" she said, wailing louder.

Everybody in the park turned to look at the dynamic duo. The entire neighborhood knew who they were, and exactly what was happening. They glared at Michael, and he felt the pressure.

"Syd... shhh... not so loud!" he whispered harshly, grabbing her arm and dragging her behind a large, oak tree.

"Syd, I want to stay, I really do! But I need to stay with my mom! She needs me, and I can't stay with you and with her!" Vaughn said.

"Grownups are stupid! Stay with Sydney!" she screamed.

"Look... I have to go, but I promise, we'll see each other again! This isn't goodbye, its just... see you later," Vaughn said, gently, trying to get the young girl to understand.

"So... its not goodbye? Sydney will see Mikey again?" the innocent girl asked.

"Of course you will! Don't doubt that! Look, I got this for you," he said, grabbing her hand and opening her fist.

In the center of her palm, he placed a pink, sparkly butterfly hairclip; one he knew she'd like.

"Pink! Butterfly!" Sydney shouted, squealing in delight.

"I was going to give that to you for your birthday, but I'm not going to be here, so I'm giving it to you now, under one condition;" Michael said.

"Really!? What!? Sydney wants to know!?" she shouted, jumping up and down.

"You stop crying, and just wait for me to come back," Michael replied.

"Sure! Okay! That's easy enough!" she exclaimed, wiping her tears with the sleeve of her pink sweatshirt, "Lets pinky swear on it!"

"Alright! Pinky swear!" he said, locking pinky fingers with his best friend, "There! Now I have to come back, and you have to stop crying!"

The little girl smiled, and put the clip in her long, brown tresses. He smiled, too, then waved, as he was on his way to his new home. He left her standing there, a hopeful expression on her face that one day, he would come back to her.

So, what do you think so far? Feedback is appreciated! :D ;)

awwwww :love:
that was so sweet
little syd and vaughn are so cute
can i please be added to the pm list
i think i am going to love this story... cause i love it already

i think its an adorable start - I love how Sydney talks about herself in the third person - hilarious.

If you're doin gPM's put me on the list!

A/N: Alright, next chapter! This chapter is basically introducing the school, etc. Sydney and Vaughn will come into play soon. Enjoy! :D ;) :woot:

Chapter 1-

Sydney watched from the window of her father’s car, as trees and people and other cars whizzed by. She let out a sigh, and rested her head against the glass. This would be her fourth high school in the past two years, and she wasn’t looking forward to it.

She stayed at her first school in West Virginia for a semester, and she rather enjoyed it. She actually knew the people there, and the teachers understood her, to some degree. Then, when her father announced they were moving to Washington, she had no choice but to grin and bare it. She learned long ago that challenging him was a lost cause.

Her second school was, by far, the dullest experience she had ever had. Luckily for her, she was only there for half of the second semester. You see, the kids there were all rich, bratty snobs, and she didn’t fit in at all. The girls tormented her, and the guys laughed at her. She just didn’t belong. So, she was overjoyed when her father had told her they were moving to Miami.

Miami was nothing like she thought it’d be. She stayed there only for half a semester, and left, this time, again, because of her father’s work. She didn’t really mind, though, because she couldn’t stand the kids at this school, either. Unlike the kids at her previous high school, these kids were too out of control, and she ended up getting in trouble for it.

Finally, it was the first day of high school in LA. She was now in the tenth grade, and had moved into her house along the beach two weeks before. She didn’t have any friends yet, and was hoping that the kids would be a little more generous than the previous two schools.

“What’s the school called again?” Sydney asked, playing with her favorite, pink butterfly hairclip.

“Acme Hills Private School,” her father replied.

Sydney rolled her eyes; she didn’t see why she could just go to a normal, public school like everyone else. Her father insisted that she needed a better education, but she really didn’t think it mattered that much.

“We’re here,” her father said, pulling up in front of a great, beautiful building.

“Whoa. What kind of school is this?” Sydney asked, in awe.

She had never seen so many big buildings clamped together. It reminded her of a university campus.

“Acme Hills is an exclusive school, built to prepare children for college life. You’ll get your schedule in this building, and the principal will show you around from there,” he explained.

Sydney swallowed the lump in her throat, and opened the car door. She wasn’t digging the new school uniform she had to wear, either; a knee-high black skirt, a white blouse, and a black blazer overtop, with the school’s crest on it. She adjusted the strap of her backpack on her shoulder, and shut the car door. Her dad drove off, and she knew there was no going back.

“Great,” she sighed, “Well, lets get this show on the road.”

She walked up to the front doors, and pushed them open. Inside, it didn’t really look much like a school office, but more of a normal, working office; there were desks with many people and headsets occupying the room, filing cabinets, and a lot of other stuff. She walked up to the front desk, and the secretary spotted her.

“How can I help you, dear,” the elderly woman said.

“I’m Sydney Bristow. I registered here last week. I was told to come and pick up my schedule,” she explained.

“Oh, that’s right! Mr. Hefner will see you now,” she said, pointing to two, glass doors.

Sydney headed in that direction, knocked on the doors, and entered on command.

“You must be Sydney Bristow. I’m Principal Hefner,“ the short, balding man said.

“Uh, yes. Its nice to meet you,” she replied, shaking his hand.

“So, Sydney, I hear you’re quite an intelligent student,” Principal Hefner said.

He was a short man, about Sydney’s height, and he had one, bad comb over. He seemed to stutter a lot, and when he shook Sydney’s hand, his palms were sweaty, clearly indicating that he was a nervous, bumbling fellow. He had little, beady eyes, like on a doll, so Sydney was never sure if he was really looking at her, or something else. He dressed to his profession, and besides that, Sydney thought he was a nice man. A bit of a pushover, but still nice.

“I guess. I can perform at university level, if that‘s what you‘re asking,” she replied, shyly.

She sat across from him, in a chair, while he reviewed her file. She was always very shy and embarrassed when it came to her grades, but she tried to look comfortable.

“Yes, you’re a very bright student indeed. You’ll have no problem whatsoever with the tenth grade curriculum, so I bumped you up to eleventh and twelfth grade classes,” he explained.

This made Sydney nervous, but she assumed it was for the best. If she could finish high school a year earlier, she could get the hell out of there, and be done with it.

“Umm… okay?” she replied.

“Well, I just finished making your schedule. Here you go,” he said, handing a yellow sheet of paper to her.

According to the sheet, her first class was tenth grade Physical Education with Miss Bakes. She liked the idea that she’d be with her peers in her homeroom.

“Those are your classes, teachers, and room and department numbers,” he explained.

Sydney thought she understood now; she had seen a giant D1 number written on the side of a building. That meant it was department one, Sciences. Each department had their own building, or floor within a building. It seemed simple enough.

“If you have any trouble finding anything, ask a fellow classmate, now, good luck,” he said, ushering her out of his office rather quickly.

She checked her Rolex watch. It was almost 9:00am, and the first period would begin soon. Students were already flocking into all of the different departments, and she figured she ought to do the same. The school year had started last week, so she had some catching up to do. She just hoped everyone would be understanding, and wouldn’t make her feel like the “new girl,” like she had so many times before.

----------

Michael Vaughn walked briskly down the halls of Acme Hill’s science department. His first class was Biology, with Miss Miller, an older woman known for her short temper. He didn’t want to be late. As he was walking, he passed by the trophy case, and took a few steps back to get a better view.

“I’m going to be in there this year,” he promised himself.

This was Michael’s senior year, and his year as the captain of the Acme Hill hockey team, the Acme Avalanche. He was, without a doubt, the best player on the team, and had his eye set on the MVP trophy, but more importantly, the state championships. Acme Hills had not received one yet, which made him all the more determined to be the first captain to lead them to victory. He just remembered his mother’s warning;

“If you fail any of your classes this year, you’re off the team, and I’m taking all of your stuff,” she warned.

He knew it was for the best, but he also knew it would be very difficult to remember. He just barely passed all of his classes last year, and didn’t want to fail this year. It wasn’t that he couldn’t do the work, he just wasn’t motivated enough.

“Well, that’s another thing that’s going to have to change,” he thought, as he ran to his Biology class, making it just as the bell rang.

He grabbed an empty seat in the back, next to his best friend, and goalie for the Avalanche hockey team, Eric Weiss.

“Hey, Vaughn, what’s up,” he asked, shaking Vaughn’s hand.

“Nothing, bro. Just coming up with a practice plan for tonight,” he explained.

“Hey Vaughn!” a high, feminine voice said.

He rolled his eyes, and turned to see Lauren Reed, the student body president, and annoying cheerleader who had been crushing on him since ninth grade. Personally, he thought Lauren was a bimbo, but would never say that to her face.

“Hi, Lauren,” he mumbled, turning around.

He looked a Weiss with a look of annoyance, and Weiss shrugged his shoulders, “Hey, she’s cute, she’s popular, and she’s got money.”

“Yeah, but that’s just not the girl for me. I want someone who can… understand, and appreciate me. Not just someone who thinks I’m eye candy,” Vaughn replied.

Vaughn, along with everyone else in the school, knew that he could have any girl he wanted. He just hadn’t come across one yet, and made a promise that he wouldn’t date anyone from school.

“Alright, class! Lets begin!”

Okay, here's my pm list as of this moment:

tubby
pansarah1
derevkointraining
Kate_14
LittleNicky
tunita
sand2604
KAliasGirl
Jen-Jen
farliieansds225
Addicted 2 Alias
AliasSydney502
aprilsfool6
Freelancer7315
alias=mylife26
dandan
UndercoverPhoenix47
6helterskelter6
Vaughn-a-holic!439
ams4alias
Prediction 47
syd26
Thumper
MH55995
Michael_Vartan_Rocks
smargirl2004
emetib17
texasalias2004
Chicketepee

If you want to be added, etc., just post, and I will ^_^ Next chapter tomorrow ;)

Love the beginning so far. I can't wait to see how Sydney and Vaughn meet up again. Can you please send me a pm when you update?? Thanks. :smiley:

Back