The beat that moves your feet..

Okay, so hopefully everyone here knows about City of Heroes and it's large amount of "/e boombox" songs.

I started thinking about that abit, and thought it would be really cool to be able to import your own music into an mmorpg. Just imagine your favorite soundtrack blasting out inside your farm house/guild castle. Hey, maybe even the bards could rock it out in the town center. Naturally there would need to be an option for the volume of OTHERS, MYSELF, and ENVIRONMENT.

(Yes this is an old idea, and I think I have already posted this... but I did this so I could post this link and get away with it.)

My only issue would be, updating daily to allow everyone's custom content in.

On the same note tho'. Giving the bards a fluff ability similar to the boombox would be fantastic. Or if anyone is extremely musically inclined an in game music editor. Place which note goes on what time with whichever song. That'd be excellent, and less loadful.

Most things you see in a MMORPG are not there until you get however so close to them. (In some cases, it's highly split LOD's.) So, with music, it could work the same. Just a quick load of someones TEMP client side, and done.

What I think would be a fix is for Simutronics to include some sort of mixing of musical instruments in game that bards can combine to produce their own songs/mixtures. Much like crafting, but with tunes/notes that they acquire by being taught from other bards/lore tellers.

You could then mix the notes together, some known, some un-known to produce certain buffs, damage spells, etc!

What do you think? =]

Well I think it's a good idea, Frosty. Certainly more practicle than WM's,(Sorry!), and more immersive. I mean, sure, you wouldn't be able to add lyrics, which, admittedly, kind of sucks, but... Someone please take away my "," key so I'll stop abusing it... Anyway, yeah, it'd be cool.

But, totally, I'd need one of those metal drums that people associate with, like, tropical music. You know, Steel Drums, or whatever. Those things kick some serious ass. I totally need to learn to play one of those bad boys. So, yeah... It's too bad they don't synch up with the lore, 'cause that'd rule.

I really don't want to hear Nickelback in a fantasy MMORPG, so I'm going to have to say "no" to importing music.

Making music is a little code-intensive....

Riceman said:
I really don't want to hear Nickelback in a fantasy MMORPG, so I'm going to have to say "no" to importing music.

Yeah. Having to listen to Country or Rap would drive me right out of the game. Especially country. Seriously, I'd leave if I found out that any of the background music was country. Or Christian Rock/Rap/Anything.

On a side note, I would totally import, like, Moby ---- on tape, or something. It'd be awesome, and like 40 hours long.

Aw, it won't let me say it. Well then, I'd import, like, some other book on tape. Or the audio from an episode of Sesame Street, or something.

Maybe play some of the Teddy Rupskin tapes while afk? LoL Yeah, real tavern toe tappers.

LoL Moby ---- book on tape. That's great.

This is a good idea but like Luciro said I would hate to have to DL everyones music everyday so it could work. I dont know if there is a way to implement it where it would just be server side I doubt it but then again who knows.

As long as there is a mute button I'd be fine with it though. But for some I think it would kill the whole immersion thing if there walking by and hear something they just heard on the radio a min ago. Just a thought.

Back