The In-Between

Once that was finished, she allowed herself a daydream break to think about the man from the library.

I have this certain tendancy to do that too about a certain guy (whose name I wont tell) but whose initials start with MV :angelic: :lol:

As she got ready for bed that evening, she hoped that the sandy-haired stranger would make a repeat appearance at the library and, if he did, that she would somehow find out who, exactly, he was.

I bet he will be in the library MANY TIMES after that ;) She just needs to go up at him and talk... then he's going to be like :blush: OMG she's talking to me

:rolleyes: tsk!

I love it though :love:

Well that does at least explain ther hostility...
So Syd's from the East and Michael is from the west...hence the conflict...
Can't wait for more.

interesting....interesting! Can't wait for more......typical....jack and syd hate each other......can't wait until there's a huge riot between them!

Oooh, I like the political aspect of this.

They could move and start the first family living in The In-Between. :P

Very cute fic and idea. I love how they both have fallen for each other and are plannign on speaking to each other the next time at the library. I can tell that this is going to be a great fic. Can't wait for more.

-erin :smiley:

Both Michael and Sydney have mothers who don't want them to go to The In-Between. But, actually, that area has more freedom and less tension than the two halves have.

Chris

This is reminiscent of East Berlin and West Berlin.

Sydney's side of the story sounds pretty authentic.
Glad to know she is thinking about Michael.
I hope they actually get to talk soon.

Keep Holding On in case ur interested)
Like you need to ask if I really wanna read your new fic :lol:

Interesting, it really reminds me of the situation in Berlin back in the 60s, I can't wait to see how things are going to be between Sydney and Vaughn. Will they move to the In-Between, since it's not in the west or east? :P . I'm sure Jack will try to come between them since he is part of the government

Will they move to the In-Between, since it's not in the west or east? :P .
there's no residence allowed in the in-between ;)

Chapter 3
Sydney’s hope came true, for the next Saturday when she drove herself to The In-between’s library, she saw that the sandy-haired man was already sitting at his usual table. When she walked in, he glanced up briefly at her and she flashed him a smile. He gave her an almost nervous smile in return before looking back down to his textbooks. Sydney hesitated for a moment, daring herself to walk over and say high to this stranger, but in the end her nerves won out and she walked over to her usual table and sat down with the squeak of the old wooden chair.

When Michael arrived at the library at the same time as the week before and the brown-haired girl was not sitting in her usual spot, he was disappointed. Of course, there was nothing he could do about it, so he sat down to set to work on his homework. He’d become so consumed with the problem he was trying to solve, he barely heard the library doors open. When he looked up to see the brown haired girl smiling, his heart leapt into his throat and caused him to smile very awkwardly in return to her. After she sat down, all thoughts of his homework problem were lost; all he could think about was walking over to her. The only problem was, once he was there, what was he going to say?

After a mind numbingly boring hour, Sydney was beginning to rethink her decision to study eighteenth century literature. Just when she thought she was going to pass out from boredom that was causing her to be exhausted, she felt a presence in front of her. Her head snapped up and, much to her amazement, she saw the sandy-haired man from across the library. Her jaw hanging slack, she looked up at him with no idea what to say.

“I, um, hi…,” the strange man said with a slight stammer. Even with just three syllables his accent was undeniably French, meaning he was from West Lasonvia. This made Sydney’s heart sink a little bit, for she thought that once he heard her speak, he would turn around and walk away. She contemplated giving him a wave instead of a hello, but then decided against it, figuring that would make him walk way thinking she was uninterested and annoyed or crazy.

“Hi,” she said in her quietest voice.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“Sydney,” she said, her voice a little louder.

“I’m Michael,” he said, extending his hand across the table. She shook it briefly. “Listen, I, uh, don’t want to interrupt your studying, but – if you don’t mind me saying – you look incredibly bored and in need of a break.”

Sydney couldn’t help but laugh softly. “Yeah, I really, really could use a break.”

He smiled at her. “You wanna, uh, go outside and…thaw?” he suggested with a soft laugh. She nodded, closed the book she’d been reading and then followed him out of the library. The warm air felt wonderful against her partly frozen skin due to the library’s overzealous air-conditioning system. She crammed her hands down into her jean pockets as she and Michael walked down the steps to the library.

“So, um, you’re from West Lasonvia, right?” she asked cautiously.

He nodded. “Is that a problem?”

“No, no,” she assured him, “but I’m from the East so…”

“So…,” he shrugged. “I don’t care about that – it’s stupid if you ask me.”

A small smile spread across her face as she was filled with relief. “I think it’s stupid too.”

He gave her a smile in return. “So, um, what were you studying in there that made you so bored?”

“Oh,” she laughed softly, “well it was eighteenth century British literature.”

“Yikes!” Michael said with a grimace. “No wonder you were bored! Why the heck are you studying that?!”

“It’s… my major,” she told him softly.

“Oh…,” Michael said, gulping slightly and feeling like a complete idiot. “Sorry ‘bout that, um,” he laughed nervously, “I’m a chemistry major so feel free to mock me for that.”

“Chem?” Sydney shivered slightly. “See now that would kill me. In fact, Chemistry in high school did kill me… well, my grade point average anyway,” she laughed. “Do you want to be a… chemist?”

“Pharmacist,” he clarified. “What about you?” he asked.

“Ohh, I’m not sure. I thought about maybe being a teacher, so I’m working on getting my teaching certification. I’ve done most of the classes already and I’ll finish up next summer,” she told him.

He nodded. “What year are you?”

“Just started my third year and I’m twenty incase that was your next question,” she smiled at him.

Michael laughed slightly, for that was indeed his next question. “I just started my third year as well, only I’ll be twenty-two in November. I took a year off before I started university to make money to pay for the university,” he explained.

Sydney nodded and they walked around the concrete path in silence for a few minutes before she finally asked, “So do you come here a lot? To the library, that is.”

“Well I hadn’t been here before until, like, a month ago. I was bored and I just wanted to check it out and then I found the library and it’s all nice and quiet – surprisingly different than my university’s library,” he told her.

“Same with mine!” Sydney gasped and then they both laughed. “Anyway, I guess we should get back to studying….”

“Do we have to?” Michael whined. Sydney laughed softly and began walking back towards the library. Once inside, the two of them returned to their original seats, though they would occasionally glance up and catch the other staring at them, which would result in soft, slightly embarrassed smiles before they returned focus to their work.

After an hour passed, Michael sadly packed up his things; he needed to get home and he had a long walk ahead of him. Once his things were organized he walked over to Sydney to say goodbye. “I’m gonna… go. Will you be here next Saturday?” he asked hopefully.

“Definitely,” she smiled at him. He smiled back before he turned to walk away, knowing he’d be smiling the whole way home.

i cant write the whole fic in a made up foregin language
why not?

hehe like ewok hehe just watched that marshall episode

awww how cuta im so glad that vaughn got up and talked to her otherwise who knows how kong it woulda taken em
i love that they had so much in common living wise with the whole idc bit
oh they are gonna sit nesar each other next time yer
oh could we have a double update?

That really sucks! I don't understand how such can happen in RL, I mean they speak the same language, they have the same origins, almost the same history so why can't they just live together? Just because some guys couldn't decide who was going to have the power?I wonder what's going to happen now that they have had their first contact :whistle: , good thing they agree that this whole east/west thing is stupid. As if in the US or in Europe you would ask the guy from where he is, is it west or east before going out with him. :lol:

Now I'm going to read the other chap and go back to my Italian before revising my Spanish :o_O:

Back