Politics This really is very very bad

Well the death toll now has risen to 23,000 from the Tsunami that hit south east asia. The massive wave which was caused by a earthquake deep under the Indian Ocean which measured 9 on the richterscale hit the shores of Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Thailand.

More from the BBC website

A friend of mine is in India at the moment, but she sent me an email an hour ago to tell me that she's fine.
Here all newspapers are full of it and they bring many reports about it in TV the whole day. It seems like there are a lot of earthquakes around the world at the moment.

I am srilankan but I live in France!
But my family lives there but they are all fine: my uncles, aunts, cousins and grand-parents
Since the morning I am watching the news.
We can't predict if there will be other waves!
I am scared because there is already 11,000 dead just in Sri Lanka and more who are missing.
I hope there will be no others.

My mom and sister are in India right now. But thankfully, they were in Bombay. They cancelled their trip to South India. They were planning to go to the very tip, so if they had been there at the time...they might've died. But I think Sri Lanka could have blocked the waves.

I have other friends in Sri Lanka (also on vacation), we don't know how they're doing. The daughter and son also brought their boyfriend and girlfriend, who are both American.

I am horrified. Today in the morning we were talking about the Tsunami and then one of my colleagues entered and told us sobbingly, that she lost her mother-in-law who died under the wreckage of a hotel in Phuket.
The numbers of dead people are growing hourly....

Yeah that's really incredible the amount of damage, and in the most horrific of ways. It just goes to show how little control we really have over our environment, despite thousands of years of advancement. One can only hope that incidents like todays will spur the international community to develop a series of sensors that act as warning systems. There are already such sensors in place in other regions of the world, specifically ones planted by the national weather service in areas taht more directly affect the united states.

There are currently no sensors in that region of the world, due to a lack of resources. Hopefully that will change in the future.

It was on the news that one hotel in Thailand which was very popular for german tourists is completely destroyed . There are hundreds of german tourists missing .
Another source said that at least 800 of foreign tourists are dead . How many are missing is still unsure.

just watching cnn this morning, and they said that the toll has climbed to 33,000. so sad :( the worst is in sri lanka (they say) where the whole island was hit and the count is 18,000 (so far :()

the problem is that everything there is o flat....if there would have been some mountains behind the beach it would have been that bad.

The toll is up to 55,000 now, and my local news said it may double by tomorrow because of diseases. Also, 1/3 of the victims are children. Alot of kids are orphans now and it's just so sad. It's so horrific that that many people were just swallowed up by the ocean. :(

the BBC was stating 50,000 deaths as of 1600 Eastern U.S.
time-now they must scramble to deal with the dead bodies
to avoid cholera and typhus.
After the initial tragedy, the serious work is just beginning... :(
MC

The various international Red Cross and Red Crescent agencies are mobilizing to assist with donations and assistance to the various countries involved.

The places that now have tsunami-warning devices do so now because back in like the 1950's there had been something similar (not this level of energy of the earthquake, though) that caused massive damage across hundreds and thousands of miles of ocean. The areas hit this time had not had such massive tsunamis for more than a century, though the area of Krakatoa and such is extremely geologically active.

The geologists don't know for certain, yet (it takes a couple of weeks after something such as this occurs to analyze the data), but it is suspected that this geological event was so massive, that it even altered the rotation of the planet Earth that day . . .

check the national news programs in your respective countries, to find out about possible ways to donate to assist in the rebuilding and the helping the displaced and homeless people.

(The U.S. government is doing some assistance, through the State department; that's another way to find out about helping is to check the U.S.A. government State Department websites. As our European friends have mentioned, many of their countries are having extensive news coverage of this tragedy, and are also organizing assistance programs, too.)

Some of the U.S. news stories now are estimating the death-toll at over 52,000 people so far (as of 1800 Eastern standard time U.S.). (aliasfreak8903, your number-count news is probably more up-to-date than mine. : ( How very tragic this all is . . . )

60,000 now, i feel so selfish, but i dont know what i can do, anyone know where i can donate money?

i feel so shocked that this can heppen? just wipe out...

This is just so sad. I mean no one saw this coming. And countries that got hit..I mean, i don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. And I bet dieases are going to hit too! This is just so sad. :( If anyone here on AllAlias was affected, my thoughts go out to you and your family. I hope you're ok.

rileylovesalias said:
This is just so sad. I mean no one saw this coming. And countries that got hit..I mean, i don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. And I bet dieases are going to hit too! This is just so sad.  :( If anyone here on AllAlias was affected, my thoughts go out to you and your family. I hope you're ok.
[post="1132187"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Actually the US geological survey institute saw this coming. But for one reason or another, they couldn't contact the right people.

xinli11 said:
Actually the US geological survey institute saw this coming.  But for one reason or another, they couldn't contact the right people.
[post="1132225"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Oh, i didn't know that. I meant most people didn't see it coming.

xinli11 said:
Actually the US geological survey institute saw this coming.  But for one reason or another, they couldn't contact the right people.
[post="1132225"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I don't think anything formal or efficient had been established in that particular area to warn anyone. The number of countries it affected and the thousands of lives it has taken away is truly staggering and sad.

jess said:
I don't think anything formal or efficient had been established in that particular area to warn anyone.  The number of countries it affected and the thousands of lives it has taken away is truly staggering and sad.
[post="1132346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, it's 60,000 and counting. 60,000!! that's insane. That's like almost 9/11 18 times over.

^yeah i heard 60,000 too and they said it's likely to double! I can't believe it. It's so horrible, they're saying whole families have been wiped out. Did you heard that toddler who was found? He found his grandmother and father but not his mom. So sad :( I feel so awful.

Back