Tourniquet

New fic! Written by me- Andrea. I've only got this and a little of the first chapter written so far, but I wanted to post to see if people liked it.

Summary- This takes place after Sydney woke up from her missing two years. Forget everything about Vaughn being married, though. This fic gets kind of insane (well, in my head it's kind of insane :P ). It has to be told from both perspectives, so at the top of each chapter it will either say ~Sydney~ or ~Vaughn~. I can't really decribe what it's about or it would give away the whole story. Generally, it's what happens when Sydney wakes up and sees Vaughn, but what she doesn't know is that Vaughn knows what happened...

Prologue

~Sydney~

What would you do if you were put in my position? How would you feel? Like the most horrible person alive, like you no longer deserved to live? Let’s agree on something, it isn’t worth it. The guilt, the pain, the suffering; it’s just not. Noting is; nothing ever will be. How can I deal with what I am doing; what I have done? To witness it is the most heart wrenching feeling possible.

To see what it did. How it affected him. God, it’s so horrifying, but I have to do it. It’s the only way we can find out what really happened. He’s the only one that knows. The only one who can tell me; tell the CIA.

Each of has personal stake, but hopefully in the end the sacrifice will be worth it. There will be no regrets and their will be no questions to if this is right or not. In the end, we’ll just know. The answer will tell us. We’ll know what happened during those two years. Where I went, what I did, why I was taken. In time we’ll know. I won’t spend my nights lying awake, wondering. The wondering kills me. No matter what the truth ends up being I am sure it will relieve me of this constant guessing game in my head. Life will go back to normal. Well, as normal as can be expected.

He doesn’t want to tell me. Doesn’t want to help me, but he doesn’t understand what it’s like to have two years of your life taken away from you. You can’t get those two years back no matter what you do. I want to know. I need to know. I can’t breathe if I don’t. The unknown will hold me down until I know the truth. Can’t he see that? Doesn’t he know that about me?

I don’t want to do this to him. Don’t want to see him go through this, but I know it’s what has to be done. If we ever want to be happy again this is what needs to happen. I’m so sorry, Vaughn. Sorry I had to do this.

~Vaughn~

I don’t want to do this to her- keep her away from the truth. It kills me looking into her lost eyes. If only I could tell her. I know I can’t, though. We can’t take that risk. She had me promise I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t break a promise to her. I can’t. There’s too much at stake here. More than she knows. More than anyone knows.

I didn’t expect to see her. Not yet. Not until we were safe. Something must have happened. Something went wrong, but she can’t remember. She can’t remember any of it. How can we accomplish our goal if I don’t know what went wrong?

She told me to keep it quiet no matter what. No matter what she said or how she acted I wasn’t aloud to say a word, and I won’t. I can’t give into her pained eyes. If I have to I won’t even look at her. This is the way she would have wanted it to be.
What I have done- what we have done- is something that nobody can know about. There’s only one other person in the world he knows the truth, and it will stay that way. It’s the hardest thing we had to do, but also the best. I’m sorry I have to keep this from you, Sydney, but it’s what you would have wanted.

Oh, and don't worry about the lengh. It's short because it's just the prologue.

very interesting. I am intrigued. PM me please. I like your stories, though i wish you would finish sanity saved or needle pulling thread...

Don't worry, I will. It's just that I'll get bored with one idea and have to start a new one just so I can get inspiration for the other one. The only reason I actually posted this one is because I really liked the idea. Weird, I know :blink: . Needle Pulling Thread's not going to end up being more than like 15 chapters, so I'm like 1/3 done that one, and Sanity Saved, who knows? I've got so many thing going through my head for that one it's not even natural. I actually have another I'm writing right now called Love, You Best Friend , but I'll probably won't post it until I'm done. There's way too much going on in my brain :P

~Andrea :angelic:

Interesting beginning. It sounds like they were working together during Syd's two years and Vaughn promised to keep whatever they did, a secret. Even from her.

Please keep me on the PM list.

Chris

Here's the next chapter. The storyline becomes much more interesting in coming chapters, so don't worry :D! Hope you all like it (it's a long one)

Chapter 1

~Sydney~

“Oh my god, Syd?”

I turned around quickly, causing a sharp pain in my neck. I ignored it.

“Vaughn. What’s going on? What happened? Where’s Francie? Is Will okay?” I asked, as I went crashing into his arms.

“Syd, sit down,” he said gently to me.

Why was he looking at me like that? As if he’d seen a ghost.

“Vaughn, you’re scaring me. What the hell happened? What’s going on?”

He rubbed his forehead. I waited expectantly.

“There’s no easy way to tell you this.” I still didn’t say anything. What was he talking about? What happened to my friends? How did I end up here?

“There was a fire. You died.”

The silence filled the air with an emptiness I had never experienced before.

“I died?” I croaked, trying to figure out if he was joking or not. He wasn’t. The small beads of water behind his green eyes told me that he wasn’t.

He nodded gravely.

“How long?” were my only words.

“Two years.”

“Two years?” I said, standing up, feeling the need to move. “I’ve been missing for two years?”

“You’ve been presumed dead for two years,” he corrected me.

I put a hand to my forehead, feeling the full ramification of what he was telling me come crashing down. I felt like I was spinning. Two years! That didn’t even make sense. I was just with them- Will and Francie. What happened to Francie? Was she dead? Was Will? I felt my knees give out, and quickly sat down. Vaughn moved closer to me.

“You don’t remember anything?” he asked.

“I remember being in my apartment and fighting Francie’s double.”

Something in his eyes told me that that wasn’t the answer he was looking for.

“Vaughn, what is it?” He looked surprised at the question.

“Nothing. I’m just so glad you’re ok,” he told me, pulling me into his arms.

Something didn’t seem right; something was off. I was dead for two years, and this was how Vaughn was acting. If our roles had been reversed I know there would have been some definite heart ache on my part, or at least more of it. What wasn’t he telling me?

He pulled back, wiping away the stray pieces of brown hair from my face.

“I’m so glad you’re back,” he whispered.

“Me too,” I smiled. I was being stupid. Of course Vaughn was happy to see me. I was overacting, as usual.

~*~*~*~

~Vaughn~

Seeing her sitting there looking so confused was like a dagger straight to the heart. I was surprised to get the call explaining she was back. I flew out to Hong Kong as fast as I could to see it for myself. Here I was, though- sitting with the love of my life.

“So, what happens now?” she asked.

“Now, we go back to Los Angeles.”

“Now?” she said in a slight panic.

“Yah, don’t you want to go back?”

“I do, it’s just-“

“Syd, it will be fine.”

“So much has probably happened in two years. How am I supposed to act?”

“Like you would be good,” I told her with a smile. If only she really knew how much had really changed.

She returned the smile, but still looked slightly hesitant.
“There’s a plane waiting by,” I told her, offering her my hand.

“All right,” she said rising to her feet. She locked her hand with mine, and together we made our way to the waiting plane.

“Vaughn, how much has really changed? I need to know,” she whispered into my ear as we stepped onto the plane.

“I’ll tell you once we’re seated,” I whispered back. I didn’t think it would be fair to break everything that had happened in the last two years to her right here.

She nodded, looking nervous. We made our way into the back of the empty plane. She turned around in a full circle, trying to get a good look at everything.

“Do we have your approval?” I asked in a joking way.

She laughed softly. “I’m just trying to see everything that is different.”

I smiled, reassuringly, putting an arm around her back and brining her down to sit next to me. She rested her head against my shoulder. “Tell me,” she whispered, referring to everything that had happened.

“Francie’s dead,” I said, knowing she would rather I just come out and say it. I felt her tense under my touch slightly.

“Will’s fine. He’s in witness protection. Marshall and Carrie are having a child, but they’re not married,” I added quickly for Carrie. “Your dad’s fine. He’s very anxious to see you. I actually had to fight him to be able to be the one to bring you back.”

“You had to fight him?” she asked, sitting up.

“Well, not physically,” I laughed.

“Good,” she said, putting her head back down.

“Anything else I should know?”

“Kendall’s no longer the director of our division.”

“Really? Who is?”

“Dixon.”

“Wow, things really do change.”

~*~*~*~

~Sydney~

I felt something gently shaking me from my sleep. I opened my eyes slowly to see Vaughn peering down at me.

“Tired?” he asked.

“I guess so,” I said, stretching.

“We’re here.”

I quickly looked around, realizing we were no longer in the air.

“Oh my god,” I said, knowing I would be facing everyone soon. I quickly got up. I didn’t want to have time to think about what was about to happen. These were the people who mourned my death. A death I wasn’t even aware of until now. How that could be I didn’t know. It was now or never. Vaughn and I both stepped out into the hot L.A weather. The sun was blinding me, so I put a hand up to shield my eyes, therefore I had no idea who was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs.

Vaughn and I reached the bottom, and I came face to face with my father. His face looked so pained that I didn’t know how to react. I didn’t need to, though. He wrapped his arms around me.

“Hi daddy,” I said not knowing how to respond. It felt like just yesterday I had seen him, but really it had been two years. He pulled back, and looked me over.

“You look beautiful,” he said brushing the side of my face.

I smiled.

“Come on, lets get you home,” he said, leading me forward. Vaughn followed a couple steps behind.

“Home?” I asked, wondering where that was. My apartment was ashes.

My dad stopped, realizing I was right. Vaughn immediately jumped in.

“She can stay with me,” he proposed.

My dad’s face tensed. He looked to me.

“That’s fine,” I said, trying not to sound too excited about the prospect.

My dad looked hesitant, but agreed, knowing he had no say over the matter. I gave Vaughn a secret smile behind my shoulder. My dad led me forward to the car.

He opened the door for me, and I slid in.

Vaughn didn’t get in, though. I rolled down the window. “I brought my own car. It’s over there. You can follow me to my place,” he told my dad.

“I know where you live, Mr. Vaughn,” my dad snapped. Why he knew was beyond me.

“Okay,” Vaughn said, looking slightly scared that my dad knew where he lived.

It probably would have made more sense if I would of drove over with Vaughn, but I knew my dad wanted to have this time between us.

I waved as Vaughn walked over to his car. My dad quickly started up the engine to his own car, and backed away. I turned my attention to him.

“So, you really don’t remember anything?” he asked.

I shook my head. “I have no idea what happened to me. Do you know?” I asked, knowing my dad had a lot of ties to important people.

I shook his head, regretfully. I sat back in my seat, the hope draining out of me. It was quiet.

“Have you been in contact with mom?” I asked.

“I was.”

“Really?” I asked, expecting him to say no. “What did she have to say?”

“We were in regular contact for about seven months after your supposed death, but she stopped contact soon after. I don’t know why,” he added as I was about to question him.

That was strange. “Did you ever find out anything while you were researching my death with her?”

He shook his head. “Not a thing. I almost gave up hope there. I knew you were alive, though. A lot of people said I was crazy for still believing, but I knew it. Now I can prove them wrong.”

I nodded as we turned onto a small street. I had never been to Vaughn’s place before.

My dad pulled into a driveway of a small modern home. I smiled. It was exactly how I pictured it would be: very modern and sophisticated. Perfect for him.

“Are you sure you want to stay here? I have an extra room at my house that you’re more than welcome to use,” he explained.

I stopped him. “Dad, I’ll be fine, I swear.”

He didn’t look too reassured, but nodded his head. At that moment Vaughn pulled into the driveway next to us. We all exited our cars. My dad came around the front of his car to stand with Vaughn and me, causing a slight awkward atmosphere.

“Dad, we’ll be fine,” I said once again when he didn’t move.

“You watch her!” he said to Vaughn.

“I will,” he said.

My dad took a step closer to me. “You call me if there are any problems.” You’d think I was six years old. Nevertheless I nodded my head to reassure him for the hundredth time. He took one last look at me to make sure I was actually standing before him, and got in his car and drove away. Vaughn and I watched as his car disappeared.

“Come on,” he said to me, grabbing my hand, and fishing through his pockets for the keys to his house. He led me up a small pathway to the front door. I tried to take in everything I could; fascinated by the way he lived. Finally, Vaughn was able to locate the keys. He hastily jabbed them into the lock, and began twisting and turning.

“Damn keys never work. I think there’s something wrong with the lock.”

“Here,” I said, pulling out a bobby pin from my hair. He stepped out of the way. I began to fiddle with lock until I heard the familiar click of it unlocking. I stepped back with a satisfied smile plastered across my face.

“Well, that’s slightly scary,” Vaughn told me. I shrugged my shoulders, as he pushed open the heavy wood door.

He let me walk in first. I stepped into a small little foyer. Vaughn threw his keys on the table by the entrance, and shut the door behind us.

I walked slowly down the hallway. To the right there was a small sitting area. I walked in. There were a couple chairs and a brown leather couch in the corner. Hockey magazines littered the coffee table. I shook my head. Some things never changed. I walked in further to the kitchen. It was pretty basic. There was milk left out on the counter. I shook my head in disapproval. I took the milk and began pouring it down the sink.

“She’s been here all of two minutes and already she’s cleaning,” Vaughn said from behind me. I looked at him from behind my shoulder. “Don’t mock me.”
He laughed.

After I had successfully got rid of the warm milk I continued with my little assessment of the house. Off to right of the kitchen was a small table for eating. There was a bathroom at the back of the house and next to it was what I presumed to be Vaughn’s room. I pushed open the door cautiously. I was afraid it was going to be an absolute mess, but I was surprised to see it was actually quite tidy. I walked in further. It was very simple: a bed in the middle of the room, two nightstands on either side of the bed, a bookcase, and a dresser for clothes. Pictures lined the cream coloured walls. I went over to look at them. There were a couple of him and his mom when he was younger, and one with his dad where he must of only been about three at the time. What surprised me the most, though, was there appeared to be a great deal of pictures of him and me. All in which we were smiling and laughing in. I was surprised that he would keep all of these when thinking I was dead for the past two years. I knew for sure that if it would’ve been me who had lost him all of the memories would have been painful to look at.

Vaughn walked into the room, and came to stand next to me.

“I needed something to keep me sane through those years,” he said.

I nodded; still finding it hard to believe that the pictures wouldn’t have had a negative affect on him.

I brushed my finger across the glass of a slightly goofy looking one of us. I took in down from its spot on the shelf for closer observation.

“So while I was gone was there anyone else?” I asked the question that had been sitting in the back of mind since I saw him.

“There’s never been anyone else,” he told me, kissing me and directing me towards his bed. “Good,” I smiled as I landed on top of the soft comforter.

Back