omg ow so we learned her deep dark secret
and gosh its a doozy
she didnt really do it did she?omg so good
sp g;ad that vaughn believes her

omg ow so we learned her deep dark secret
and gosh its a doozy
she didnt really do it did she?omg so good
sp g;ad that vaughn is takin time to get to know her

um... ok... well i wasnt expecting that...

but with each question this story gets better and better...

plz plz plz update sooner than last time... and plz continue to pm me when you do.

thanks,
ABV

A/N: Here's the next chapter. I haven't updated because I've been busy with my contest-fics, but now that they're done, I have some time. So... enjoy! :woot: :D ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4--

When she arrived in class that morning, he couldn’t tear his eyes off of her. Sure, there was a gloomy aura around her, but he couldn’t for a second believe that she was capable of killing her mother in her current state, let alone when she was only six years-old. He sensed a troubled girl, not a murderer.

“I guess that would explain a few things, though…,” he thought, gathering the class’ homework from the night before, “Why she tries to shut everybody out.”

He was surprised when he saw Jimmy attempting to make conversation with her. She, obviously, appeared uninterested, with her eyes out the window, but he actually seemed to be giving civilized conversation a try. He smiled, knowing his decision had played a part in this. He hoped she could at least make one new friend.

“Were there any problems with the homework?” he asked, trying to get his mind back to the task at hand.

“No,” the entire class replied in unison.

He chuckled, knowing this was a lie. In every class, there was at least one kid who didn’t understand the criteria. He seriously doubted that they all wrote A responses and finished their reading while understanding the text.

“If you guys were just honest with me,” he said, dropping the papers on his desk, “Then it would be easier for all of us.”

He wasn’t upset, though. Rather amused. He turned to Sydney who was still staring out the window, playing with her arm warmers again in ninety degree weather.

“These kids and their strange new fashions,” he thought, shaking his head, “What is the proper term now? Goth? Emo? I can’t quite keep up. Its almost funny, listening to these kids come up with new terms for one another when any of it isn’t true or correct.”

“Sydney,” he spoke, snapping her out of her daze, “What did you get from the text?”

“Huh?” she asked, and he wondered whether or not she heard the question or if she was just surprised by it.

“You said you’ve read the book before. We’ve already finished the first act and I’m curious to hear your opinion.”

He did this for two reasons; one, to see if she would actually speak up and reply, and two, to see if Jimmy would make one of his smart-ass remarks. He waited, but neither came.

“Are you going to enlighten us?” he asked.

“What’s your problem with me?” she shouted, standing up.

The entire class turned to look at her, some faces surprised, others not. Speaking out of line would usually get you a one-way ticket to the Principal’s office, but he, as were the students, was curious to see where this was going.

“I don’t have a problem with you at all,” he said, very nonchalant, “I asked you a simple question that I would ask anybody else in this class.”

“Why are you always asking me questions? Its not even a week in and you’ve already chosen me as your scapegoat! Jesus, the other teachers waited at least a week before deciding to pick on the estranged freak!”

“That’s not what this is about!” he shouted back, slamming his hands on the table and frightening the rest of the class, “That’s never what this was about! I just asked you a question, which I think you’re more than capable of answering! I’m not treating you any differently than anyone else!”

Her accusation surprised him. Did she really think he was picking on her? If anything, he was trying to help her. Maybe she just interpreted help and patience as some kind of cruel joke, concealing what was lurking in the shadows and waiting to jump up and bite her in the ass.

“Sure. Whatever. You’re no different than any other teacher I’ve ever had; pretending to care because you have to, but really just waiting for that paycheck to come at the end of the week,” she said, her voice low and husky.

“How dare you--”

“You wanted my opinion?” she asked, interrupting him before he could finish his sentence, “I’m not answering your frickin’ question.”

Having made her point very clear, she grabbed her books and stormed out of the classroom, leaving the class in an array of shock. He was infuriated that she would make such cruel and untrue accusations, but then how could he be? If what he heard about her was true, how could he be angry at her for the way she was? Every time he tried to take a step forward, she ended up pulling him three steps back. But he couldn’t give up.

“No,” he thought, “All of her other teachers already have. I need to show her that I’m not like them; that I really care. Maybe then she’ll come around.”

He walked over to the call switch on the wall, flicking it up to contact the office, “We’ve had an incident here,” he explained, “Sydney Bristow just walked out of class.”

“All right,” the secretary replied, “We’ll send someone to go and find her.”

----------

She couldn’t believe the nerve of that man. Why was he treating her this way? What had she done? He claimed it wasn’t out of fear, anger or hatred, so that only left pity.

“I’d rather be feared, the object of his anger and hated than be pitied by anyone,” she huffed, running down the stairwell.

This was really starting to grate on her nerves. As she headed back to her dorm room, she knew that the office would be looking for her. When they don’t find her, they’ll come back to her room and harass her. By the end of the day, she was certain she’d end up in the Principal’s office.

“This is ridiculous, anyway,” she thought, “I should just leave. There’s nothing stopping me.”

“Yeah, that’s right. There’s nothing stopping you, accept those four, white, cushiony walls that are still warm and waiting for you to return.”

The thought of that place in hell which was still reserved for her sent a spark up her spine, making her mind go blank. Maybe there was something stopping her. Fear. Fear of going back there.

“This…,” she said, through gritted teeth, “This is so stupid!”

She threw her books on the ground, kicking them across the grass and screaming at the top of her lungs. She wanted to run away, but the only place to run to was the one she was running from. How sick was that?

“Sick. Like me.”

At first, she didn’t think she was sick. A part of her still believed that she wasn’t. “Brutal honesty,” she had called it. It wasn’t that she was sick, it was that she spoke her mind and wasn’t afraid of the things that struck terror into most people.

“If anything, I’m right. I guess that makes me sick.”

Slowly, after the first month of being locked away, she started to entertain the possibility. Not because she wanted to, but because the only way out of the walls was to become a part of them. This opening was all she needed. Once she saw her walls slowly starting to chisel away at the cause of her own, she moved in and targeted that doubt.

“I was never normal, but I was never this bad, either.”

After eight months of treatment everyday, she had accepted that she was sick; that she needed help. Even now, she agreed that she needed help more than anything, only help was nowhere to be found. They had released her, saying she should have been stable enough to deal with a classroom environment.

“”Should” being the key word, here.”

If she really was stable, if she really was better, then why did she feel so… miserable?

----------

“I heard all about your outburst today, Sydney,” Principal Sloane said, pouring himself a glass of water, “Would you care to tell me your account?”

“No,” she said, very bluntly, “I don’t see how it matters.”

Sloane took a sip of his water, meeting her eyes in a staring competition. Her eyes never faltered and she came out victorious, with Sloane releasing an exasperated sigh.

“You know what, Sydney?” he asked, standing up, “I think you’re a very bright girl-- no-- I know you’re a very bright girl.”

“That makes two of us,” she thought, rolling her eyes.

His patronizing tone was really starting to irritate her, and she didn’t know how much longer she could hold out before she had another “outburst.”

“Is there a point?” she asked, “I have engagements.”

“With your psychiatrist?”

She glared at the man, her eyes burning holes through his body. He flinched, immediately getting her message;

Don’t. frack. With. Me.

“Sydney, since this is the beginning of the year, I’m going to let you off with a warning,” he sighed, “But if this happens again, I will have to punish you.”

“Yeah, yeah,” she dismissed him, standing up and leaving for the door.

“I would think you’d show Mr. Vaughn more respect, since he’s shown you nothing but generosity,” Sloane said, getting the last word in.

She stopped and narrowed her eyes in his direction, then pushed the door open and stormed out. All eyes were on her, yet she felt like she was walking down an endless hallway.

“I wish I were dead.”

----------

It was the end of the day and Vaughn sat in a booth at Weiss’ favorite diner, his friend across from him. He dipped a fry in some ketchup, swirling it around and leaving a trail of redness on his plate, showing where his fry had been. He did have much of an appetite.

“I heard about the level five meltdown today, man,” Weiss said, slapping Vaughn‘s shoulder, “That’s brutal.”

“It wasn’t as bad as it sounds,” he smiled, “There was just a… misunderstanding.”

“Misunderstanding? You’re lucky your not dead!” Weiss exclaimed.

“Would you stop it? You don’t even have her as a student, so how could you possibly know what she’s like?” Vaughn defended, “She’s had her past problems, but she’s trying to get through them now.”

It was quiet, Weiss taking a bite of his burger and Vaughn just staring at his food. It was true; she was too bright to give up on, but that wasn’t it. He couldn’t put his finger on it…

“You really like her, don’t you?” he asked.

He snapped from his daze, slightly surprised by his friend’s question, “I think she’s very bright and we’d all be at a loss if we didn’t hear what she had to say.”

“Well, knock yourself out. Just remember, you’re playing with fire.”

Vaughn laughed and nodded. Weiss had good intentions, just not a lot going on upstairs. He took another bite of his burger and Vaughn teased, “I thought you were a Gym teacher? Why are you eating that felgercarb?”

“Hey!” Weiss protested, “That has nothing to do with it! I have to indulge a little! I spend my entire day lecturing kids about fruits and vegetables and eating a balanced diet! That doesn’t mean I have to eat like that!”

“But… doesn’t that make you a hypocrite?”

“Whatever. Just shut up and eat your fries,” Weiss pouted.

Vaughn laughed again. Between Sydney and Weiss and even Lauren, he’d never get bored here.

“I’ve got to go,” he said, grabbing one last fry, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Wait! Where are you going?”

But it was too late. Vaughn had already left and was heading back to campus, which was within reasonable walking distance. Weiss sighed, looking up at the waitress who was tapping her foot impatiently.

“I guess I’m stuck paying the bill, then.”

----------

She swallowed the pill and lay back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Her unfinished homework lay open on her desk and she wondered if she should complete it.

“I don’t care,” she said aloud, “It doesn’t matter, anyway.”

But if it didn’t matter, than why was her conscience eating away at her, telling her to do it?

“All right! I’ll do it! Not for Mr. Vaughn or for the mark, but because I have nothing better to do!”

As she was walking over to her desk, she heard a knock at her door. Nobody knew where she lived, so she wondered who it could have been.

“Is it campus security?” she thought, “I didn’t go that out of control… yet.”

She walked to the door and opened it, only to see Mr. Vaughn staring back at her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked nervously, “Teachers aren’t supposed to fraternize outside of school.”

“And we’re not outside of school,” he smiled, “May I come in?”

She folded her arms across her chest, wondering what to do. What could he possibly want to discuss? Still, Principal Sloane’s voice rang in her ear;

“I would think you’d show Mr. Vaughn more respect, since he’s shown you nothing but generosity.”

“Yeah…,” she mumbled, opening the door wider and permitting him entry.

He was shocked at her change of heart from earlier. He thought for sure she would slam the door on his face, but he was grateful that he didn’t. When he walked in, he could see her open books on her desk and smiled, “Apparently she does care.”

She pulled her chair from the desk, offering it to him. He thanked her and took a seat and she sat on her bed, “Why are you here?”

“I just wanted to talk about what happened earlier… and apologize--”

“No… its okay. You shouldn’t have to apologize. I’m the one who should be sorry,” she interrupted.

“Oh… well then…”

“Is that it?” she asked, “Because I’m tired and I’d like to take a shower and go to bed now.”

“Oh, uh, yeah, sure. I’m just glad we came to an understanding,” he smiled, standing up.

He expected things to be much more longer and much more brutal, but was happy that they weren’t. This day was just full of unexpected surprises. He watched as she walked into the bathroom, shouting, “Lock the door on your way out!”

He heard the water running, but did not leave. He didn’t know why, but his feet wouldn’t move, almost like they wanted him to stay and explore a little. He knew it wasn’t right, but he couldn’t help himself, as he made his way around the room.

“What’s that?” he thought, his attention being caught by a pill bottle on her nightstand.

He walked over, picking it up and inspecting it. There was no label on the bottle, indicating what it was What could a sixteen year-old girl possibly need pills for? He went to twist the lid, but he heard the water turn off and he quickly put the bottle back down as he found it, running to the door, locking it, then closing it quietly.

“That was close,” he said, letting out a sigh of relief and leaning against the wall, “But what were those pills for?”

----------

Mr. Vaughn came to my room tonight. He wanted to talk about my freak-out during class. Honestly, I don’t know why he puts so much effort into me. It seems kind of pointless, but what really got me was how he wanted to apologize for his behavior.

It wasn’t him. He never did anything wrong. It was me. I even know it was me, but a part of me refuses to believe that, just like a part of me refuses to believe that I’m actually sick. But it’s the truth.

I wonder how things are going to work tomorrow? They’ll obviously be different than how things were today, but things that happen tomorrow are always different than today, which is yesterday… which is confusing me.

My mom always said not to think about what happened yesterday, because it doesn’t matter. “Everything was different yesterday,” she said, “So you can’t base anything off of it.” I don’t believe that’s entirely true. I believe yesterday is more important than today or tomorrow, because its yesterday that makes tomorrow. Its yesterday that made me today… and what will continue to make me tomorrow.

-Sydney Bristow

Geez. . .That explosive conversation. . .Or rather argument was really quite something. . . :blink:
the arm warmers are really making me curious. . .

Thanks for the great update.

I'm thinking the pills is medication to control her bi-polar tendencies. And, I wonder if Sydney's arms are all scarred up and that's why she wears the warmers. Sydney has a lot of secrets that she's keeping buried deep inside of her.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

i wonder what the warmers are for
its so good that vaughns taking a chance on her
but those pills seem suss to me
i dont think they are really helping her
please dont wait to slong to update again

Back