Politics "Under God"

Patomac

Cadet
I was curious what people thought about saying the words "under God" in the pledge. This probably comes from studying religion in school, and then finding an article about it, and so I just wondered what all my friends on AA would think. So, what's your opinion?

I think that this country has become a bit anal on the whole "under God" aspects. The removal of the ten commandments at that courthouse, putting In God we trust in schools with the same hand. It doesn't make sense. If they want to do away with it... fine. Take it off the currency also.

We can't have our cake and eat it, too. Too many people in the country to please every single one of us.

i find that case about the atheist man not wanting his kid to say teh pledge really weird...i mean come on...everyone has been saying it for like two hundrd years..then all of a sudden he wants it to stop...its really riduculous...i mean like if it has been goin on..cant we juss let it be? and like it the courthouse...right before the dude is bout to go on stand...they say "so help u god"...:confused:

I used to say the pledge of allegiance... and then last year i just stopped...

why the heck do i say this pledge if i don't believe in god? :confused: and plus the fact i think our country is crazy.

when we say the pledge at school i say "one nation ... indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"
i don't say the God part, because i don't believe that we are UNDER GOD ... we're under the sky is what we're under. nothing more. nothing less. (my opinion)

i think we should get rid of "under god" seeing as its a religious reference...i dont say that part of the pledge tho...i mouth the words because if i dont, the teacher gets mad...

miss_nancee said:
i find that case about the atheist man not wanting his kid to say teh pledge really weird...i mean come on...everyone has been saying it for like two hundrd years..then all of a sudden he wants it to stop...its really riduculous...i mean like if it has been goin on..cant we juss let it be? and like it the courthouse...right before the dude is bout to go on stand...they say "so help u god"...:confused:
Let me guess you are Christian. To you it might seem silly, but to have to pledge to something you don't believe in isn't just "really weird".

If you don't want to, the teacher can't make you. And miss nancee, we've only been saying the under God part since the 1940's. And as you don't say that part now, I'm sure if the pledge was changed, you could count on me to be the one to say it anyway. "One nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all." And my English teacher would probably get mad at me everyday, but that's okay. They get mad when kids stay sitting, so I'm allowed to make them mad by adding a few words that have been there for fourty years. On purpose, not accident.

SiriCerasi said:
miss_nancee said:
Let me guess you are Christian. To you it might seem silly, but to have to pledge to something you don't believe in isn't just "really weird".
I said the pledge of allegiance every day from kindergarten to 5th grade. And I even said "under god". Everyone else was saying it and I didn't really grasp the concept of a higher being. Of course, now I understand it and reject the idea. But anyways. To me, "under god" were just words that I had to repeat every day like a robot.

The funny thing is... we're supposed to be "one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice to all." But there ISN'T justice for all. Nor are we indivisible... and that has a lot to do with differing opinions on god! When I was little, I would parrot the pledge every day and then wonder about why everyone isn't equal (which I thought about because I was picked on for being different than everyone else in my class... I was the only asian kid).

And yes, I agree... people swear on a bible when they go up to the witness stand and say "so help you god." That needs to be changed. So does the "in god we trust" on money. But I dunno... I don't even pay attention to the saying on money.

Well... this whole pledge issue is being looked over by the supreme court. It will be interesting to see what kind of precedent they make...

bout the two hundred eyars thing its was juss an exageration but i was juss like making a point..yeah i know alot of people dont believe in Him...but i think its juss the principle of say like "udner one nation" meaning like well stand together under anything ...u know...cuz were on counrty and well stand together

miss_nancee said:
bout the two hundred eyars thing its was juss an exageration but i was juss like making a point..yeah i know alot of people dont believe in Him...but i think its juss the principle of say like "udner one nation" meaning like well stand together under anything ...u know...cuz were on counrty and well stand together
But god doesn't have to be a part of that ^_^

Existentialist said:
SiriCerasi said:
miss_nancee said:
I said the pledge of allegiance every day from kindergarten to 5th grade. And I even said "under god". Everyone else was saying it and I didn't really grasp the concept of a higher being. Of course, now I understand it and reject the idea. But anyways. To me, "under god" were just words that I had to repeat every day like a robot.

The funny thing is... we're supposed to be "one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice to all." But there ISN'T justice for all. Nor are we indivisible... and that has a lot to do with differing opinions on god! When I was little, I would parrot the pledge every day and then wonder about why everyone isn't equal (which I thought about because I was picked on for being different than everyone else in my class... I was the only asian kid).

And yes, I agree... people swear on a bible when they go up to the witness stand and say "so help you god." That needs to be changed. So does the "in god we trust" on money. But I dunno... I don't even pay attention to the saying on money.

Well... this whole pledge issue is being looked over by the supreme court. It will be interesting to see what kind of precedent they make...
our country is a lot more racist/prejudiced/unequal than we claim to be...

i have a lot of fun scratching the in god we trust off of coins ^_^

SiriCerasi said:
Existentialist said:
SiriCerasi said:
miss_nancee said:

our country is a lot more racist/prejudiced/unequal than we claim to be...

i have a lot of fun scratching the in god we trust off of coins ^_^
o0o0o u shouldnt do that..its property of the goverment..damage can get u in jail.....jkjk....

SiriCerasi said:
miss_nancee said:
But god doesn't have to be a part of that ^_^
yeah and plus the fact we don't all stand together... and it isn't just the principle of saying under one nation... there's that word.. God everywhere however it says "religious freedom blahblahblah on our documents" and they're not even put into place.

:sigh:

Yeah... erm... this country is much much more unequal than it claims to be! What's even worse is the fact that most people don't even realize that they're being prejudiced or discriminating against someone...

:lol: Siri, so it's you who's scratching "in god we trust" out of all the coins! :lol:

Existentialist said:
Yeah... erm... this country is much much more unequal than it claims to be! What's even worse is the fact that most people don't even realize that they're being prejudiced or discriminating against someone...

:lol: Siri, so it's you who's scratching "in god we trust" out of all the coins! :lol:
Yes i know it makes me so mad! :banghead:

and it makes me even more scared to think that i might do it... :Ph34r:

eh whatcha talking about? :angelic:

I think I've dulled all sharp objects in my gym :lol:

Back