Unexpected

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

thanks to my new beta Sara :hug: i've got a new fic for you guys :smiley:

Title: Unexpected
Genre: S/V AU some angst ;)
Summary: Sydney Bristow is happily engaged to Brian, the man she's ready to spend the rest of her life with. That is until she meets the brother of the man to which she is engaged, Michael Vaughn.

20 Chaps
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 (below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16
Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 + Epilogue

Chapter 1
Sydney Bristow sighed and leaned her head back against the headrest, squeezing the handle on the inside of the door a little bit harder. She was on her way to meet Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn (aka her soon-to-be in-laws) and she was having a slight panic attack about it. After all, she had only met them once before and, though everything was all smiles and politeness at that time, it had been months earlier. Now she was going to meet them as their future daughter-in-law, and that changed things. Not to mention the fact that she was going to be meeting her fiancé’s brother for the first time. Meeting new people for the first time was hard and awkward enough as it was, but meeting your new future family members was quite another thing.

“Syd, honey, I think you’re going to break that handle off any second now,” her fiancé, Brian Vaughn, chuckled. When he momentarily tore his eyes from the road in front of them to look over at her, he saw that her knuckles were white from gripping the handle so hard.

“Oh,” she said with a rather embarrassed laugh. She removed her hand and sandwiched it in between her knees. “I just want them to like me.”

“They already like you.”

“No, I know but… I mean, I want them to like me as a future family member… and your brother Michael, too,” she added.

“Michael likes anything female that breathes,” Brian muttered. Sydney laughed. “I’m serious! I’m sure you’ll get an earful of stories over lunch about all the French chicks he drooled over during his semester there.”

“Lovely,” she said in an unenthusiastic manner. She sighed and began scratching at her bare knee with her fingertips, still trying to get out some nervous energy. Realizing that would only result in her getting red scratch marks all over her leg, she moved her hand back to the handle, gripping it tightly. Then, with her free hand she began tugging and a stray string on her seatbelt.

When a snowstorm of light sprinkled across the dashboard caught her attention, she was surprised and it took her a moment to realize what exactly it was. She kept forgetting that she was wearing a ring at all. After all, she had only been engaged for five days, so she saw that as perfectly normal. Every time she saw it though, her heart did a little flutter and that was a nice feeling.

Eight months earlier, Sydney and Brian had bumped into each other at a mutual friend’s Christmas party. Ironically, they were both passing under the mistletoe when someone rushed by them. In the crowded party atmosphere, Sydney and Brian were knocked together. They laughed and kissed very briefly, stating tradition as the reason. After that, they were inseparable for the rest of the evening. The rest, as they say, was history.

Their relationship blossomed perfectly and they soon realized they complimented each other well. Brian, who was almost five years her senior, was very quiet, reserved and conservative when they met. Sydney blamed this partly on his nature, partly on his job (he was a CPA) and partly on the fact that he never went out much and thus wasn’t used to it. Not that she was a ‘party ‘til dawn’ type of girl, but she enjoyed time out of the house and time at home, both in balance. With her, he slowly began to come out of his shell, though he was still hopelessly shy when compared to Sydney’s bubbly personality. Bubbly around people she knew, that was, around new people she tended to clam up as well.

Brian surprised himself by how quickly he fell for Sydney. When he imagined himself developing a relationship with someone, it was always at a slow, steady, comfortable place. They’d get to know each other gradually and eventually fall in love. But with Sydney, all his pre-planning disappeared and he fell for her fast and hard. Never in his life would he have imagined proposing to a woman he had only known for eight months, of course…that was before Sydney. But then he found himself down on one knee in front of her, rattling off professions of love and wishes for an eternity together.

When Brian proposed, Sydney was stunned. She loved him and knew they were having a wonderful time together, but had never imagined them as a life long thing. Not that she didn’t want to spend her life with Brian; the thought simply never crossed her mind until he was saying all those wonderful things to her and she found herself saying yes.

Being engaged was all so fresh, she wasn’t sure how exactly she felt about it yet, but she was definitely happy. Happy in general, not at that exact moment, though. Sitting in the car as Brian’s parent’s house grew closer and closer, her nerves grew more and more. She wasn’t sure what specifically about going to lunch made her so nervous. It was a combination of factors really. One, she didn’t really know the Vaughn’s all that well. Two, she would be meeting a brand new family member that day and three, there was the fact that Brian hadn’t actually told his parents they were engaged yet. He was planning on surprising them that day when they arrived. That was perhaps the biggest factor contributing to her anxiety.

“We’re nearly there now; only about five minutes,” Brian said. Sydney nodded and shifted in her seat slightly uncomfortably, thankful she didn’t have to sit down any longer. After their two hour drive, she was getting a little tired of sitting in one place.

A few minutes later, Brian parked his car in front of his parent’s house. Sydney got out of the car, pulling down her skirt and squinting in the sun of the hot summer day taking in the yellow siding, and discreet landscaping decorating the front yard. Brian grabbed her hand and flashed her a smile before walking up to the front door. “Mom! Dad! We’re here!” he called as they went inside.

“Way to say hello to me idiot!” a male voice called as footsteps were heard coming down the hall.

Sydney paid no attention to this. She heard the voice distantly, but she was too busy observing the interior of the Vaughn’s house, which was very welcoming and homey. Finally, Brian’s arm snaking around her waist jolted her from her staring. “Syd, this is my brother Michael. Michael this is Sydney.”

Slowly, Sydney turned her head. When she caught her first glimpse of Michael Vaughn, she was sure she would have stumbled slightly had Brian’s arm not firmly been around her waist, for Michael had the most perfect, knee-weakening smile she had ever seen. “H-hi,” she managed to croak as she examined his brilliant green eyes and cavernous chin dimple. Much to her surprise, Brian and Michael looked absolutely nothing alike; she was shocked they were even related.

“Hi, nice to meet you,” Michael smiled, extending his hand to hers. All the while he was cursing his elder, perfect brother for choosing the most beautiful woman he had ever seen to be his girlfriend.

“N-nice to meet you, too,” Sydney croaked. In her head, she scolded herself for feeling a fluttering feeling in her stomach. She wasn’t allowed to think that way; she was engaged – engaged as in all other men off limits. Oh boy, she thought, this is going to be a long afternoon.

hehehe i love twists :angelic:

OMG! This fic is going to be the greatest! I can't to find out what is going to happen between Brian and Sydney and Sydney and Michael. Thanks for the PM. I cannot wait to check back tomorrow!

-erin :smiley:

i read the summary for this fic at your thread with all your fic links, and i was hoping that this one would be the next one that you posted!
i love the idea... can't wait to see what happens!

Back